New Clubs This Month In Downtown

Are the clubs and bars finally getting ready to come back strong again and pick up where they left off 3 years after light rail completion ? Pedestrian traffic on the Weekends seems like its continuing to get stronger. I found this Houston Chronicle link regarding Milan club at 809 Congress, and Biddles Lounge 1t 308 Main.http://blogs.chron.com/bartab/

Venue night club opened at the 720 Main this month. Is another club opening this month at 310 Main called-

The Office ?

Edited by mainvoice
  • Like 1

I actually think the reopening of Main Street on weekends will probably have more of a positive affect than negative because people who want to stroll and "see the action" on weekends can do so. One of the things I noticed after the Bayou Classic last November (Southern versus Grambling) is that a lot of visitors from out of town were a bit annoyed that they had to use Travis and Fannin to get to the cross streets that intersect Main, where the action is.

Of course, COH would probably reclose Main Street for big events like that but the point remains.

At the same time, please note that there have been a few other openings and closings and then reopenings over the last couple of years. A lot of different new jack groups try their luck to see if they'll latch on with a certain segment and then develop staying power similar to the Suedes, M Bars and so forth. Venue, from what I hear, looks like it might be a longterm winner. But again, we'll see.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

I actually think the reopening of Main Street on weekends will probably have more of a positive affect than negative because people who want to stroll and "see the action" on weekends can do so. One of the things I noticed after the Bayou Classic last November (Southern versus Grambling) is that a lot of visitors from out of town were a bit annoyed that they had to use Travis and Fannin to get to the cross streets that intersect Main, where the action is.

Of course, COH would probably reclose Main Street for big events like that but the point remains.

At the same time, please note that there have been a few other openings and closings and then reopenings over the last couple of years. A lot of different new jack groups try their luck to see if they'll latch on with a certain segment and then develop staying power similar to the Suedes, M Bars and so forth. Venue, from what I hear, looks like it might be a longterm winner. But again, we'll see.

I think the reopening of Main Street is a postive also. One main difference that I believe I see with these new clubs that are opening is that they are brand new. Ie: they are not re-opening a club that they bought from someone which implies a higher confidence level that hasn't been seen in years within a 1 month period I believe.

From my visits to Houston, I think there are several things Downtown can do to improve the nightlife on Main. It seems to me like almost all the nightlife options are clubs that are open a few nights a week from about 8pm to 2am. I think that the scene down there would get a lot better if you can add more casual bars. I think more people would hang out downtown if it wasn't associated with dressing up, going to a club, paying a cover, spending a lot of money on drinks, etc. I think there should be bars like Sherlocks with a live cover band or a Rock Bottom Brewery. In Long Beach, CA where I live, a lot of the bars downtown are actually restaurants during the day. They make money off of the daytime crowds eating out and then come 10 or 11 pm, all the tables/chairs vanish, the lights get turned down, DJ or band starts, and it is a bar/club. I think this would work well for DT. Club owners wouldn't have to depend only on alcohol sales/cover charges a few nights a week in order to survive. I really think casual bars with live music would be a big help. Look at Austin. It is very exciting to see the changes in DT Houston and I am hoping for more positive growth.

From my visits to Houston, I think there are several things Downtown can do to improve the nightlife on Main. It seems to me like almost all the nightlife options are clubs that are open a few nights a week from about 8pm to 2am. I think that the scene down there would get a lot better if you can add more casual bars. I think more people would hang out downtown if it wasn't associated with dressing up, going to a club, paying a cover, spending a lot of money on drinks, etc. I think there should be bars like Sherlocks with a live cover band or a Rock Bottom Brewery. In Long Beach, CA where I live, a lot of the bars downtown are actually restaurants during the day. They make money off of the daytime crowds eating out and then come 10 or 11 pm, all the tables/chairs vanish, the lights get turned down, DJ or band starts, and it is a bar/club. I think this would work well for DT. Club owners wouldn't have to depend only on alcohol sales/cover charges a few nights a week in order to survive. I really think casual bars with live music would be a big help. Look at Austin. It is very exciting to see the changes in DT Houston and I am hoping for more positive growth.

Agreed. More "casual bars", as you put it, would be great.

i agree - although there are a few casual places, like warren's, la carafe, and the flying saucer, i think there should be more coffee!

I think you made a good point. I have said repeatedly as well that there really needs to be things to do during the day and in between 5pm-10pm.

Now come on really could a 7th new club be in the works also ? (Houston Pavilions not included. )

Edited by mainvoice

Okay, either way, looks as if I'll need to head downtown this weekend and stroll up and down Main. One definite positive is that with the emergence of Venue, there is more reason to head below Texas Avenue and Capitol again. Venue should do a pretty good job of putting Mantra and The Vault back into the spotlight.

And Ben & Jerry's was a nice experience yesterday. I'm not that big of a lunch eater but I do like to cheat a little in have a smoothie or yogurt shake or something like that.

While club openings are interesting, the overall success of downtown more depend on the Ben & Jerry's of the world, places of national merit that's willing to invest in above-tunnel locations. That increases streetscape visibility and encourages more people to walk the streets.

Personally, the Red Cat is my favorite hangout downtown, and yes it allows casual dress. I see a mix, though. Some people wear the formal silk shirts (aka "shiny shirts") while some come in with a polo shirt and blue jeans.

I hear they have a pretty good Happy Hour, especially on Thursdays, but I've never managed to make one.

Well, I guess the people complaining about "no live band places in downtown" - there's a reason! There are a few places with live music, but no one seems to go there. :o For example:

Speakeasy Lounge, 110 Main - rock bands - not even sure if it's still open.

Jet Lounge - 1515 Pease - all kinds of music

St. Pete's Dancing Marlin - 310 Main - I was there a couple Saturdays ago - till midnight - there was a Cajun Jazz Band there - there were about 10 people in the bar. It's very casual - AND it's a restaurant during the day! It actually reminds me of a restaurant/bar that would be in like San Diego or something.

SO - these places DO exist, but like St. Pete's, I don't think they are doing very well.

Red Cat is the only live music place (I've seen) downtown that does well on a regular basis.

The only way to get more live band places is to frequent the ones that are out there! :)

A couple other "casual places" I didn't see mentioned:

- Shay McElroy's is more casual - a nice alternative to the Flying Saucer set.

- Slainte's

Also, I recently talked to the manager at one of the 4 new clubs mentioned up there - he told me that they are trying to *not* attract the "thug" crowd that seems to frequent downtown. It's a sad fact that "thug" seems to describe the majority of the people downtown - the further towards Pierce Elevated you go, the more "thuggish" it gets.

The infamous Mercury Room, Boaka Bar, and Opus all closed 2 weeks ago - they were tired of the downtown atmosphere as of late. It's going downhill.... kinda like Richmond Strip did a few years ago. It makes me sad.

The only real solution is to get out there - go tell the bar owners / managers what you want - they want your business!

-------------

Also, not sure when The Office will open, but here's their myspace site.

Edited by Htowngirl

I would frequent the places downtown HTown Girl but I have a pretty good excuse considering the fact that I live 1,500 miles away. When I am in Houston I am at the mercy of my friends and that means going out in Midtown, Montrose, etc. They talk like downtown is a thing of the past.

And Holy S**t! I am surprised that the Mercury Room and Opus closed down. I thought that they were doing pretty well. Sad to hear that. It's too bad that DT is seen as thuggish nowadays. Hopefully things will change.

I would frequent the places downtown HTown Girl but I have a pretty good excuse considering the fact that I live 1,500 miles away. When I am in Houston I am at the mercy of my friends and that means going out in Midtown, Montrose, etc. They talk like downtown is a thing of the past.

And Holy S**t! I am surprised that the Mercury Room and Opus closed down. I thought that they were doing pretty well. Sad to hear that. It's too bad that DT is seen as thuggish nowadays. Hopefully things will change.

What! What happened to the Mercury Room?

I was just watching MTV after I wrote this (7:40) watched it at (8:00) it was P Diddy's making the band, and guess where their first performance ever was at? The Mercury Room in Houston. They showed them walking around downtown Houston then showed the big Mercury Room sign.

Edited by citykid09

I walked past Mecury Room a couple of weeks ago with some friends areoun 1:00am. There was a guy outside on a stretcher with blood on his shirt which looked like two stab wounds or gun shots, he looked half dead.

I think that is the "thug" atmosphere HtownGirl is talking about.

I walked past Mecury Room a couple of weeks ago with some friends areoun 1:00am. There was a guy outside on a stretcher with blood on his shirt which looked like two stab wounds or gun shots, he looked half dead.

I think that is the "thug" atmosphere HtownGirl is talking about.

I knew some people that put there house up for sale up in the Northeast, getting ready to make a big move to Houston. But now that the see what they have seen in the media about all the murders, Katrina evacs, and the recent flooding, they have changed there minds and are now looking at Dallas.

I knew some people that put there house up for sale up in the Northeast, getting ready to make a big move to Houston. But now that the see what they have seen in the media about all the murders, Katrina evacs, and the recent flooding, they have changed there minds and are now looking at Dallas.

That's pretty funny, considering that Houston's crime and murder rate is STILL lower than Dallas', even with the unwelcome increase. You're friends don't sound like they read too well.

That's pretty funny, considering that Houston's crime and murder rate is STILL lower than Dallas', even with the unwelcome increase. You're friends don't sound like they read too well.

You know, I know that fact, but you are right, they really don't listen. There either flying or driving to Houston next month. Hopefully they will change there minds. I hope to change there minds.

Anyways, I have to go right now, talk to you guys later!

and if they don't think that it doesn't flood in Dallas, they really got their head up the clouds. are these the same friends/family of yours from boston?

Dang! How did you guess? And How do you remember that? They are comming to Houston next month, so mabe they will change there minds once they see it again. If I was living in Boston and saw the images I saw of Houston on CNN, The Weather Channel, etc, I don't think it would be on top of places I would want to live either. They make the city sometimes look like its in a thirdworld country.

But once they come down and see the city again and talk to people that live there, I am pretty positive they will change there minds about Houston.

Well, I guess the people complaining about "no live band places in downtown" - there's a reason! There are a few places with live music, but no one seems to go there. :o For example:

Speakeasy Lounge, 110 Main - rock bands - not even sure if it's still open.

Jet Lounge - 1515 Pease - all kinds of music

St. Pete's Dancing Marlin - 310 Main - I was there a couple Saturdays ago - till midnight - there was a Cajun Jazz Band there - there were about 10 people in the bar. It's very casual - AND it's a restaurant during the day! It actually reminds me of a restaurant/bar that would be in like San Diego or something.

SO - these places DO exist, but like St. Pete's, I don't think they are doing very well.

Red Cat is the only live music place (I've seen) downtown that does well on a regular basis.

The only way to get more live band places is to frequent the ones that are out there! :)

A couple other "casual places" I didn't see mentioned:

- Shay McElroy's is more casual - a nice alternative to the Flying Saucer set.

- Slainte's

Also, I recently talked to the manager at one of the 4 new clubs mentioned up there - he told me that they are trying to *not* attract the "thug" crowd that seems to frequent downtown. It's a sad fact that "thug" seems to describe the majority of the people downtown - the further towards Pierce Elevated you go, the more "thuggish" it gets.

The infamous Mercury Room, Boaka Bar, and Opus all closed 2 weeks ago - they were tired of the downtown atmosphere as of late. It's going downhill.... kinda like Richmond Strip did a few years ago. It makes me sad.

The only real solution is to get out there - go tell the bar owners / managers what you want - they want your business!

-------------

Also, not sure when The Office will open, but here's their myspace site.

I think that closings and openings are healthy for any area and is an indication of what downtown perhaps wants and doesn't want. I think that its healthy for all types of businesses to open and close. If they were closing only then I would think that there is a different type of change going on, but I see more clubs opening in fact than clubs closing. This might exactly be what the area really needs to go through to straighten itself out, so that good operators who appeal to the non thug types will in fact step back in and I think we are finally starting to see that. I think you mention a good point about the thug thing, and if the operators are perhaps finally realizing that there is a change downtown and that attracting the thugs hurts the area and doesn't make them money then they perhaps are finally starting to think about getting on the right track along with the newby clubs. For example, I don't see a demand downtown for dance clubs and it would be interesting to look at what types of crowds frequent those places and exactly what type of crowd those clubs actually appealed too ? Who do you think they appeal to ? Do these dance clubs really have any real demand or do they just get by anyway and let "promoters" hold parties there for a fee on an on going basis each day of the week. Its like renting a club on a day to day basis for those who don't have a club. How sad is that ? How long could something like that last, when it doesn't sound like it appeals to the demographics of the area anyway ? I think the casual places are good and once again clubs, restaurants, Ben & Jerry's, Haagan Daz, BlueBell, is a good thing. Especially more to do on street level in between 5pm-10 pm .

Edited by mainvoice

Okay, either way, looks as if I'll need to head downtown this weekend and stroll up and down Main. One definite positive is that with the emergence of Venue, there is more reason to head below Texas Avenue and Capitol again. Venue should do a pretty good job of putting Mantra and The Vault back into the spotlight.

And Ben & Jerry's was a nice experience yesterday. I'm not that big of a lunch eater but I do like to cheat a little in have a smoothie or yogurt shake or something like that.

While club openings are interesting, the overall success of downtown more depend on the Ben & Jerry's of the world, places of national merit that's willing to invest in above-tunnel locations. That increases streetscape visibility and encourages more people to walk the streets.

I don' t think people walk right now because there is nothing to walk to especially in between 5pm-10pm. I don't think of Ben & Jerrys as a destination location necessarily or something that would keep people around after work. I think that being able to stop and have a place after work or a snack dinner would beat getting into traffic, and at this point in time is a natural fit for the area and is what is in demand. If i gave you money to invest downtown would you open a yogurt shop or a restaurant club at this point in time downtown? We have to recognize what we can use to build upon.

It appears that the old 6 degree lounge place has been leased by "Pi" ? Read the 6 degree lounge topic.

PS- It appears that "pi" is a club...clubs are on a roll. This seems to agree with the retail report recently conducted by downtown houston regarding what has the greatest demand in downtown at this time.

I like your excuse I wouldn't want to fly 1,500 miles to hang out in Montrose either.