New Clubs This Month In Downtown

The Mercury Room/Boaka Bar is definitely open. It us under new ownership. It is currently open on Friday and Saturday nights. But may open up on other nights also. :D

Good - I really hope they keep it up like it's always been. It's a beautiful place. I was sad to see that the new owners of M Bar (formerly Prague) bought the absolutely GORGEOUS place and haven't kept it up. Sure, it's still nice inside, but the paint is peeling, the architecture is damaged in parts, and the bathrooms need some work. That used to be a top-notch venue, that long lines of people paid $20/head to go in, and now it's just another club.

For example, I don't see a demand downtown for dance clubs and it would be interesting to look at what types of crowds frequent those places and exactly what type of crowd those clubs actually appealed too ? Who do you think they appeal to ? Do these dance clubs really have any real demand or do they just get by anyway and let "promoters" hold parties there for a fee on an on going basis each day of the week. Its like renting a club on a day to day basis for those who don't have a club. How sad is that ? How long could something like that last, when it doesn't sound like it appeals to the demographics of the area anyway ?

Well, *I* like dance clubs (and I'm not a thug :P), and so do my friends, and every time I go out, we always end up at a dance place. There are dance places doing well (Escobar, Next, M Bar), but like I said, as long as M Bar is not keeping up their club, and not enforcing a dress code, the clientele is going to go downhill (it's hanging on by a thread right now). I think there's room for all kinds of clubs and bars downtown - look at 6th street in Austin - there are live music venues, dance clubs, bars, and they all work together in close proximity.

Also - more closings: 410 and Jones Bar. 410 has been downtown FOREVER. They were both closed on 6/24 when I went out. They used to attract a really good crowd.... sad.

• The title was changed to New Clubs This Month In Downtown