Do you call it soda or just Coke?

KimberlySayWhat

I scored "46% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom" although I didn't have any word at all for the last question. I suppose it is fairly accurate, since I've lived about half my life in Texas and half in Yankeedom. I've met people before who are good at decoding local accents. An operater at a travel agency once was able to place my home town within less than 50 miles, which to me was pretty amazing.

We are in Texas, of course it is Coke ! Even if you are drinking a Root Beer, that's Coke.

I am such a redneck, 94%, geez. They asked if General Lee was my father ? NO, but I would make it my car for sure though.

Edited by TJones

88% Dixie... and I'm from Indiana... (but 30 years in Texas).

I actually change between words, but i picked "the most recent"...

for example, i say "Sub" for a sandwich, unless I'm in Indiana, and then I say "Grinder".

or "Crawfish" is what I say now, but until I had eaten one, they were "Crawdads".

I've used Soda, Pop, Soda Water, and Soft Drink... now i just say "drink".

interesting.

"23% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy."

i lived in NE pennsylvania for a few years as a kid...

i guess it stuck! i can't tell you how many times

addressing a crowd as "you guys" got me a huge

talking to. usually accompanied by the finger wag

and whole "oh no you did not!" head thing women

do. (i don't know what to call that).

up north, saying "yes, sir" to a male authority figure

or older male (as i was taught to do down in texas)

was percieved a extreme sarcasm, i was really

surprised by that. :huh:

55% Dixie. Barely in Dixie

i thought i'd be more dixie considering i've spent most of my life in the lone star state and most of that in west texas. maybe that hoosier blood running through me is thicker than i thought.

i guess texas lingo is different than dixie speak.

i say things like:

fixin' to for about to

wanna for want to

kinda for kind of

catchup opposed to ketchup

and banes for beans.

46% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

Need to get me a pop and some crayfish.

Some they didn't ask about (or abote if you waaaay up North)

Davenport = Couch/Sofa

Front Room = Living room

pianna = piano

warsh = wash

ice box = frig (I guess that just means your old)

90% Dixie...despite 4 years in Ohio. I still don't understand the deal with the night before Halloween, though. I do seem to remember them calling it "Beggars Night", and different cities would have different nights for "Beggars Night". We never could understand that one...they do things differently in Ohio. I can't remember all the phrases, but there were lots of differences...like "gum band" for "rubber band", "pop" (which always made me want to "pop" someone...it's a COKE, dammit!), "youse guys" (that one's from Picksboig).

I looked at the survey again and I realized I pronounce "route" as both "root" and "rout" so I selected "either". I just went from 60% Dixie to 64% Dixie. :huh:

west20th:

Davenport = Couch/Sofa

I had never heard of a "davenport" until a couple of years ago. I was watching an episode of "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" (if ch. 55 is reading this, bring Alfred back!) about a little girl whose imaginary friends were living under her aun't's (that's ant) "davenport"; one of my favorite episodes. I loved the word so much that I wanted to get into the habit of calling a couch a davenport, but it never happened. It's just a funny word to call something so commonly known as something else. As least to me.
4thGenHoustonian:

Does anyone pronounce "cot" and "caught" differently? This is stumping me.

Not me. They're both the same.

elecpharm:

i say things like:

fixin' to for about to

I say fixin' a lot, too, but I also say "I'm going to" or "about to".

Definitely a yankee. I remember moving to Wisconsin at age 9 and not knowing what a bubbler was and nobody knowing what a water fountain was. I guess that's where I picked up my "rummage sales" and "TP'ing" too.

If you're someone that lives all over and says some of the things two ways (like route), I recommend reading the questions out loud and going with whatever came first.

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

20% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Interesting that 'feeder' (access road) is determined to be common in Houston and eastern Great Lakes.

Speaking of regional terms, has anyone else lived where a public restroom (or lavatory) is referred to as a basement, especially in a school? ("We pantsed him, then threw him in the girls' basement.")

The location of the facility has no bearing; the basement can be on an upper floor, or below ground.

Like Tak, I've been screwed up by Northerners. I use: Coke, pop, and soda interchangably. According to most people from Allentown, though, I have a "drawl" when I said "soda." I'm still not sure what this means.

When I'm in PA, they're "hoagies," when anywhere else, it's a "sub." Occasionally, it's a sandwich.

Additionally, "water" = "wadda" and no one in PA understands "nor'easter."