Mediocre Restaurants in Houston

Since several of the posts ended up talking about restaurants and why you didn't like them I thought I would start a Mediocre Restaurants in Houston topic. I always hear people raving about this restaurant and then I go try it and i'm disappointed. Some of them you don't realize how they stay open. To get it started quickly, I will try and think of 10. But I think we should set a limit of three so everyone can get some bashing in. Also put why you didn't like it.

1. Maggiano's - great atmosphere, bland food. Olive Garden had more taste.

2. Cafe Adobe - mediocre food and drinks.

3. Julia's Bistro - small portions, pork tenderloin salty, mediocre service.

4. Bossa - for price wasn't worth it. person i took for her bday got food poisoning.

5. Chapultepec - mediocre food at best. I don't know how it has stay open this long except for late hrs.

6. Mai's - during 80's used to be funky atmosphere food was good, now, both atmophere and food have gone downhill.

7. Kim Son - during 80's great cheap food, now mediocre expensive food.

8. Bonnie's Beef and Barrel - this restaurant is packed but when i go i just don't see the draw. avg food.

9. Taqueria Del Sol - packed all the time. bad salsa bad enchiladas. don't get this one either.

10. Carrabba's (talking on the chain ones not the original) mediocre food compared to original. tasted almost prepackaged.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely agree with all on the original list - especially Julia's and Mai's. If I had to add three additional - they would probably be:

1. Kubo's (actually I have yet to find GREAT sushi in Houston -- although there is plenty of good sushi)

2. Zula

3. Cyclone Anaya's

Ok i just saw a commericial and forgot this restaurant. I want to add Double Dave's to the list. I think i've had better no name frozen pizza. The commercial said they even made stuff fresh. I just find that hard to believe.

West Gray Cafe?

GOTTA be West Gray Cafe. Exactly how I describe the place. Once we went in and the chef was sitting in a booth smoking a cig and cleaning his finger nails with a knife. Although a very long time ago I went and it was much better. But I'll never go back.

Add Jenni's Noodle House to the list. She got so busy making Depeche Mode mixed tapes she lost focus on the food.

Chapultepec - where your chile con queso could use a shave and a haircut.

Today sounds like a good day for a burger at New Orleans Po Boy. Yum.

Ok i just saw a commericial and forgot this restaurant. I want to add Double Dave's to the list. I think i've had better no name frozen pizza. The commercial said they even made stuff fresh. I just find that hard to believe.

I agree with the review of the pizza at Double Dave's. But, the thing to get there are their pizza rolls. Handy little things that go good with cold beer.

GOTTA be West Gray Cafe. Exactly how I describe the place. Once we went in and the chef was sitting in a booth smoking a cig and cleaning his finger nails with a knife. Although a very long time ago I went and it was much better. But I'll never go back.

Add Jenni's Noodle House to the list. She got so busy making Depeche Mode mixed tapes she lost focus on the food.

Chapultepec - where your chile con queso could use a shave and a haircut.

Today sounds like a good day for a burger at New Orleans Po Boy. Yum.

I forgot about Jenni's -- that place is way overrated... good call. Not exactly bad food -- it just really doesn't live up to all the raving people do about it.

I agree with the review of the pizza at Double Dave's. But, the thing to get there are their pizza rolls. Handy little things that go good with cold beer.

ANYthing goes good with cold beer! Hmmm maybe that's why they serve it!

Another Aggie fave.

We'd go to the one in College Station and eat pizza rolls and ranch dressing and drink about 10 root beers.

Oink.

have you tried them lately? In your adult life? I got a couple last year...and they were NASTY! Grease rolls! My college self was dissapointed in my adult self.

+ Colina's. I just don't think the food there is good at all. It's just way over rated so I expect a lot and it never meets my expectations.

+ Farrago. I have had bad experience after bad experience there. The food is ok, but service and attitude are a huge part of any dining experience and theirs sux.

+ PF Changs. Ugh. Average food at insane prices.

1. Pei Wei -- I just don't get this place

2. Pronto Cucinino -- Good concept, nice facility, bland food

3. 3-6-9 Chinese Restaurant -- Bland food

Deffinately PF Changs. Smal portions, bland food and goofy prices.

Give me Fu's anyday. Large prtions, good food and great prices.

Fu's can be kind of blah...

especially in the village with their bug and hygiene issues :o

1. Pei Wei -- I just don't get this place

:D Funny you should mention that.

I ate at Pei Wei for the first time just this week. Seems like every restaurant has come up with its own method of confusing customers, and Pei Wei is no exception. You stand by the cash register and place your order with the employee behind the counter but a waiter (or waiter-like person) brings the order to your table. I find this setup perplexing, as it blurs the line between a real restaurant and fast food.

Anyway, the guy behind the counter took my food order and asked if I wanted anything to drink. I said no, and paid the bill. Then, he had the nerve to pick up his tip jar and hold it expectantly in front of me! I tried to ignore him, but he just kept staring at me and pushing it at me...and it was really starting to piss me off.

Turns out that it wasn't a tip jar, it was just a very large water glass which he thought I ought to have. But I wasn't lying - I really wasn't thirsty.

Fu's can be kind of blah...

especially in the village with their bug and hygiene issues :o

Man them is fightin words. :P

Seriously, I love Fu's, I don't know why you would call it blah. I guess to each his own.

I love there sesame chicken, very hot with the right amount of brown sugar.

Bayou City Seafood...

lets just say my friend knows some of the kitchen staff and i will never eat there again...

:o

Kitchen employees should take a tip from Las Vegas ("What happens there, stays there.")

Man them is fightin words. :P

Seriously, I love Fu's, I don't know why you would call it blah. I guess to each his own.

I love there sesame chicken, very hot with the right amount of brown sugar.

Kitchen employees should take a tip from Las Vegas ("What happens there, stays there.")

that is the case with Fu's i guess (i never worked there, but i have seen and heard plenty :D )

as far as the taste of the food, it is just fine. that's about it to me - kind of the same ol as anywhere else.

if i want same ol american-ish chinese food fare, i usually venture over to jimmy wok

that is the case with Fu's i guess (i never worked there, but i have seen and heard plenty :D )

as far as the taste of the food, it is just fine. that's about it to me - kind of the same ol as anywhere else.

if i want same ol american-ish chinese food fare, i usually venture over to jimmy wok

Your worrying me a little. I've never noticed the place dirty, ever. Am I just going on the right nights?

I know they won 2 or 3 blue ribbons from Marvin Zindlers clan.

Your worrying me a little. I've never noticed the place dirty, ever. Am I just going on the right nights?

I know they won 2 or 3 blue ribbons from Marvin Zindlers clan.

i have never noticed the dining area to be dirty - must be all "behind the scenes" ;)

word to the wise, though: steer clear after rain and/or flooding :unsure:

Biba's or West Gray Cafe?

That's it -- West Gray Cafe. I had a job interview there once. That should have been my first hint it was going to be a bad job.

Sorry to hear about Jenni. I've had a few dozen business meetings there -- before it ended up in 002 and became all hip. It was good then. That was just after she got laid off from Continental.

Turns out that it wasn't a tip jar, it was just a very large water glass which he thought I ought to have. But I wasn't lying - I really wasn't thirsty.

:lol: Good thing you didn't throw some change in it.

Archived