Mediocre Restaurants in Houston

I just got back from breakfast and thought of another place that is just mediocre but crowded. The Breakfast Klub just doesn't do it for me. There's no way i'd go and wait in line there. The food is OK but there are other places like TelWink or Frank's Grill that are better for less money. You may have to wait inline at both at least it is well worth it.

The Breakfast Klub is, for me, the pinnacle of artery hardening morning food. The grits are the best I've had (at least that didn't involve cheese). They're thicker and more substantial than the usual. The meats are likewise a cut above. Thicker bacon. Meatier sausage that was not manufactured by Jimmy Dean. I also liked the pork chops. The coffee is also higher grade than standard diner fare. Try the Costa Rican. I do wish they'd get some fresh rather than bottled juice.

It does get crowded. I go when I have a day off or else early (8:00 or 8:30) on Saturday.

Telwink has credible truckstop food, but it's nothing special. I think the low prices are what brings in the crowds. I went by Frank's once but there was a line and the place just did not look inviting. I like dives as much as the next guy, but... I think Dot Coffee shop has the best breakfast in that general area (open all night, too) and I'm usually not much of a Pappas fan.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Breakfast Klub is, for me, the pinnacle of artery hardening morning food. The grits are the best I've had (at least that didn't involve cheese). They're thicker and more substantial than the usual. The meats are likewise a cut above. Thicker bacon. Meatier sausage that was not manufactured by Jimmy Dean. I also liked the port chops. The coffee is also higher grade than standard diner fare. Try the Costa Rican. I do wish they'd get some fresh rather than bottled juice.

It does get crowded. I go when I have a day off or else early (8:00 or 8:30) on Saturday.

Telwink has credible truckstop food, but it's nothing special. I think the low prices are what brings in the crowds. I went by Frank's once but there was a line and the place just did not look inviting. I like dives as much as the next guy, but... I think Dot Coffee shop has the best breakfast in that general area (open all night, too) and I'm usually not much of a Pappas fan.

Not a pork chop/coffee/wings fan here so that's definitely not a draw for me. I just think that paying 8 for middle of the road breakfast food is something i wouldn't do everyday. I personally didn't like the sausage. The one time i got it, i didn't like it so i asked for some bacon instead. but it was chewy. i like it more crispy. Speaking ambiance, none of the restaurants we've talked about have ambiance. Pinnacle of morning food seems a little overstated. different strokes i guess.

See the Jenni's reviews on B4-U-EAT.com. Back in 02 the reviews are great, and as you head-up into 2006 they continue to get worse.

You have to take sites like B4-U-EAT with a grain of salt. Look at the content of the complaints, "I ordered something bland and it was bland. I ordered something double-spicy and it was too hot. I got less food than at a lame chinese buffet".

Agree, but this review is too funny:

MY REVIEW: I have enjoyed Jenni's in the past, however, they are a difficult place to eat at -- in a city with choices a-plenty they either need to shape up or shut down. Their food is sub-par and now they don't even wait on you. Instead you are asked to stand in line to order and then retrieve your meal when ready. And they want me to give them a tip? I've got a tip for them -- you're on your way out!

Seems like a lot of people here are personally defending Jenni's compared to any other restuarant mentioned.

Well, it's a personal favorite with me. I eat there about once a week.

Also I don't understand why people want to rag on mom-and-pop places. If I go to a local place and have a mediocre experience, I hope it will get better. I do not hope that it will go out of business because it would likely be replaced by a TGI Chiligan's. Aren't there enough Olive Gardens in this town for us to make fun of?

I'd prefer to eat at a mom and pop place over a chain any day (if they were of equal caliber). I rarely if ever eat at the chains. I don't have anything against chains I'm just not particularly impressed by the taste of the food or creativity of the kitchen in most of them. But I'm not going to frequent a mom and pop restaurant that I'm not impressed by either. There are too many choices for restaurants in Houston to return to one that doesn't impress you.

Restaurants likes and dislikes are very subjective. Glad you like Jenny's - I don't care for it.

I also didn't rank any chains as mediocre in my list -- because quite frankly there are very few that I would consider anything other than mediocre.

Well, I know for a fact that Jenni takes a lot of pride in the family recipes she serves at the noodle house and that it's hard to argue with her prices. If you don't like the bottled water thing, that's one thing.

The food is only mediocre in the fact that it's a NOODLE HOUSE, people. It's meant to be like a burger joint, not high cuisine. These are basic Vietnamese "fast food" dishes that Jenni has tuned a bit for American tastes. Expecting it to be anything more is weird and is the root of your disappointment, I'm sure.

I don't think anything in the house is more than $10, including bottled water.

sorry to be "weird" and no, that's not the root of my disappointment.

i'm sure she does take pride in her food yet when i am there the service

is slow. i eat out more than i should and i am very happy with fast asian

cuisine --- and as long as the price is ok for the quality/amount/type of

food i get. it maybe just random complaints i have, like the service or twice

when eating there, midway through cooking the meal they have come out to

say that they are out of one of the ingredients --- would i like something

else? there are plenty of asian choices of all calibers in that neighborhood.

i'd rather eat from the food court of the kim hung grocery nearby.

also once on a date the waitstaff let me know (when we ordered)

that they would be closing early to attend an IBP play. luckily, it was

the same one we were going to --- yet, the food took a good while so it

only gave us 15 to eat once it arrived.

Ok i just saw a commericial and forgot this restaurant. I want to add Double Dave's to the list. I think i've had better no name frozen pizza. The commercial said they even made stuff fresh. I just find that hard to believe.

DD is far from perfect but they still beat the crap out of pizza hut and papa john's. Like someone said, they are like cici's, only the atmosphere is much nicer because there arent a bunch of kids running around screaming because its their turn to play video games. DD is cleaner too.

as for Pei Wei, its no szechuan's(when i used to live in copperas cove, small town near killeen we had a great chinese restaraunt called szechuan's which i base everything off of when i comes to judgding chinese food), BUT here in college station we have a horrible selection of chinese food. Its either panda express(THE worst chinese food period), pei wei, or some mom and pop places which all got terrible health inspection grades, and one of them had to shut down. So if you want chinese, Pei Wei is pretty much your only choice. Well, to be fair Joy Luck is good but i have only had it once.

Someone mentioned Los Cucos. They arent exactly clean, but the food is great, at least the college station one. Provided i dont get food poisoning going there i will continue to eat there.

Okay, anyways, here's my meidieocre restaraunt choice: Pappasito's. I used to like that place, but the food and service have both gone downhill at all of their locations. last time i ate there was at the one in austin and i was really dissappointed.

Pappasito's suprisingly still make the best fajitas in town. I'm willing to try anyone else's, but after Ninfa's, Gringo's, & Lupe's just to name a few - Pappsito's is still the best. Now, I won't disagree with the rest of the menu or service however.

Pizza Hut may be a mediocre restaurant, but I've yet to find another place that makes a pan pizza as good as them. I haven't dined-in though in at least 10 years.

Okay, anyways, here's my meidieocre restaraunt choice: Pappasito's. I used to like that place, but the food and service have both gone downhill at all of their locations. last time i ate there was at the one in austin and i was really dissappointed.

Pappasito's is mediocre at best. what kills if for me are their rice and beans. texmex is even pushing it for them. i'm not a fajita fan so i will only go here if someone else convinces me.

There's a plate-lunch place on Houston Ave. just north of Washington, which I think is called "Houston Avenue Grill" (?) Anyway, they serve the most bland "soul-food" plate lunches I've ever had. They're something straight from a senior citizen low-sodium special.

Pappasito's suprisingly still make the best fajitas in town. I'm willing to try anyone else's, but after Ninfa's, Gringo's, & Lupe's just to name a few - Pappsito's is still the best. Now, I won't disagree with the rest of the menu or service however.

Pizza Hut may be a mediocre restaurant, but I've yet to find another place that makes a pan pizza as good as them. I haven't dined-in though in at least 10 years.

I totally agree with about Pappasito's. There is not a better fajita in town. I think Lupe Tortilla makes a fine fajita, but Pappasito's is one step above. I almost never order anything other than fajitas.

I do not eat deep dish pizza so I can not speak on Pizza Hut. If I am ordering pizza I usually hit Romano's or Barry's.

What about the Fisherman's Wharf in Galveston?

They are seriously overpriced considering their food is mediocre at best (I think I spent like 20 bucks for a half serving of shrimp on some cold linguini). The service is pretty sketchy (my waiter last time was sweating profusely, had bloodshot eyes, and kept rubbing his nose).

Overall a pretty mediocre restaurant, its only saving grace is the (somewhat) pretty view of the water.

What about the Fisherman's Wharf in Galveston?

They are seriously overpriced considering their food is mediocre at best (I think I spent like 20 bucks for a half serving of shrimp on some cold linguini). The service is pretty sketchy (my waiter last time was sweating profusely, had bloodshot eyes, and kept rubbing his nose).

Overall a pretty mediocre restaurant, it's only saving grace is the (somewhat) pretty view of the water.

It used to be good...and then Landry's bought it.

I totally agree with about Pappasito's. There is not a better fajita in town. I think Lupe Tortilla makes a fine fajita, but Pappasito's is one step above. I almost never order anything other than fajitas.

I do not eat deep dish pizza so I can not speak on Pizza Hut. If I am ordering pizza I usually hit Romano's or Barry's.

You guys need ot try Los Cucos or Las Rosas for some good fajitas at a decent price. Pappasitos way overcharges.

Oh man, we are going to have to agree to disagree. Carrabba's, Cafe Adobe, Pronto Cucina and Grotto are some of my absolute favorite restaurants in Houston. Cafe Adobe is my second favorite Mexican restaurant, second only to Teotihuacan. I've always loved their food. Carrabba's and Grotto are great date restaurants with lively bar scenes during the wait for a table. Great place for conversation. Pronto is just a solid casual lunch spot with a nice patio and hearty portions of good Italian food.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a mediocre one for you: Bombay Brasserie in the Village. Went to the lunch buffet yesterday. Mediocre food with only a fair selection. The service was non-existant at first (but improved when the crowd thinned out). The place is too small, and set up so that the staff is always rushing right in front of the buffet table. I'm not sure if the air conditioning was working, but they had the front door open so it was kind of humid and unpleasant inside. I sure won't be going back.

I've only been there once, but I thought Mo Mong on Westheimer was very mediocre. To me, a good rule of thumb is that if a restaurant is mixing multiple cuisines, it's not going to be any good. There is also a fairly new "upscale" Thai restaurnant on Montrose that was pretty darn mediocre. It's like PF Chang - why pay a lot for mediocre when there are dozens of cheap good places around?

I tend to agree with you Subdude except for Pang Tai's on Westheimer just east of Wilcrest (Pad site in front of Target and Randalls). I have eaten there 3 times and ordered take out 5-6 times. Each time I have ordered differently and completely enjoyed what I ate. The one exception is the Sushi. I will not even bother to try that. The Thai Food, Vietnamese, and Chinnese are all exceptional at this place. Give it a whirl if you are ever in the neighborhood.

Mo Mong was terribly over-rated in my opinion as well !!! Once was enough for me.

Here's a mediocre one for you: Bombay Brasserie in the Village. Went to the lunch buffet yesterday. Mediocre food with only a fair selection. The service was non-existant at first (but improved when the crowd thinned out). The place is too small, and set up so that the staff is always rushing right in front of the buffet table. I'm not sure if the air conditioning was working, but they had the front door open so it was kind of humid and unpleasant inside. I sure won't be going back.

Bombay Brasserie hasn't been the same since they moved after a fire in the old location on Richmond and Sage. The old location was nicer and larger, the service always seemed better, and the food on the lunch buffet seemed to be better. My old coworkers and I used to eat at the original location fairly often and loved it, but since the fire and the move, I've been once or twice and it wasn't the same. I like Shiva a lot better for Indian food in Rice Village.

If you want to try another mediocre restaurant while you're in that shopping center, the Japanese one next door has been pretty mediocre both times I've been there. It wasn't the food as much as the service, which was abysmal. Botched and forgotten orders etc.

Vargo's (S Piney Point before Woodway)- this restaurant used to be high class dining. excellent food and attention to detail but the last time I was in there it was deplorable. my family and I waited nearly 3 hours for our food which ended up undercooked and cold. the steak which I ordered was stringy at best. I have tasted better things from marie calendar's. the atmosphere was not as I remember, but the view is and always will be incredible. thats the only thing the restaurant got right...landscaping, but staring at it for 3 hours gets a patron pretty pissed.

Archived