Houston Art Car Parade

torvald

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Commercial? Hmmm... I wonder how much it would cost for HAIF sponsor a car with skyscrapers all over it.

I think that there already is one like that, although it definitely lacked a Houston theme. A parade of miniature models of Philip Johnson works would've been very appropriate this year, not so much for the next unfortunately.

I think that there already is one like that, although it definitely lacked a Houston theme. A parade of miniature models of Philip Johnson works would've been very appropriate this year, not so much for the next unfortunately.

Imagine a car covered with black glass with two pointy bits at the top resembling Pennzoil Plaza.

a HAIF-car - interesting

as far as corporate sponsorship, it is impossible to avoid. pennzoil used to be the big one, but there was a backlash (they wanted more pennzoil in everything, if i remember correctly).

the parade has grown so much over the years, and in turn, so have the operating costs

Commercial? Hmmm... I wonder how much it would cost for HAIF sponsor a car with skyscrapers all over it.

That's actually a brilliant idea! An actual Haif-mobile/s of some sort.

You need to send out a post if anyone is interested in participating. You have the creativity and imagination right here before you :D at your fingertips. It can be done, I'm convinced of that.

That dude spent a whole lotta money on those Billy Bass and Larry Lobsters. Wonder what the cost is on all the Double A batteries is ? Perhaps he/she was smart and got the Billys on the cheap, like off ebay or something.

HoustonArtCarParade2007337.jpg

So slapping a bunch of manufactured crap on a car is art?

I guess so since they used a Volvo.

But I am not buying it. What's their theme?

What, you think acryllic paint is naturally-occuring?

Their theme is fun...good ol' fashioned anal retentive fun. And it does incite a good hearty laugh.

So slapping a bunch of manufactured crap on a car is art?

I guess so since they used a Volvo.

But I am not buying it. What's their theme?

Raw fish Choir singers. Coog, go read that article, the wiring ALONE is a work of art. They seem to have taken the hard way IMO. There is a setting on those stupid fish that will sing along with whatever song you play in proximity. They should have spent a couple of grand on the stereo and just drilled the fish and lobsters to the car and they would have responded in kind. It was a labor of love though, and it is unique to the art car parade. Coog, quit being a HATER ! :P:lol:

The wiring did this hater.

I have a car sitting at my parents that I have been considering for an art car.

But I always said "I ain't gonna slap a bunch of trinkets on my car and call it art".

Then go for a vastly different approach. One entrant in the parade did nothing more than leave his gas cap open in a regular unadorned Mazda Protege.

You want something clean? Construct a cube of one-way mirrored glass around the entire vehicle. I can respect that as superior art and will find it a refreshing break from those that slap a bunch of trinkets on their car, but I'm not going to laugh at it.

The wiring did this hater.

I have a car sitting at my parents that I have been considering for an art car.

But I always said "I ain't gonna slap a bunch of trinkets on my car and call it art".

We could make it a UofH themed car, and have like a Cougar jumping onto the back of a Longhorn, or perhaps a Cougar mauling a Sheltie ? Paint it all red, white and blue ?

Maybe not as extreme as mauling a dog, but perhaps the Cougar could have like a dog collar hanging out of it's mouth with the name "Reveille" on the dogtag ?

My potential art car is also a Mazda Protege.

Mine would be a Mazda as well...although it would be a 3rd generation RX-7....stripped down to just the bits that make it go fast/roll. The mechanicals as art.

I guess I will aplaud everyone for giving it an effort. I have seen them do much better in the past though. This was it?

I missed it this time but what happens to past exhibits like the dude driving around in that huge red woman's stiletto shoe? and what happened to those cup cake bikes or whatever they were they were hilarious! The monster ones are great! Now I'm ready to make one. :P

Come to LA..........they are a dime a dozen. Hahahahhaha.

They probably still have tattoos. I'm sick of eveyone having to have a tattoo. What's wrong with a blank canvas anymore.

Those guys look like something out of the '90s when tattoos weren't so mainstream.

They probably still have tattoos. I'm sick of eveyone having to have a tattoo. What's wrong with a blank canvas anymore.

Those guys look like something out of the '90s when tattoos weren't so mainstream.

Right! I knew that fad would come and go quick! Even body piercing is like yawwwwnnnn. Looks real dated.

Nothing like telling your children who all the persons names are on your body. and explaining...forever....and ever....mohawks were easier, they just grow out and start fresh!

(knew topic) :lol:

One year i would like to go to the Art Car Parade.

You couldn't pay me enough money to attend this tacky exhibition. Why is fat, ugly and weird considered funny??? NOT, and not even interesting. Houston, you can do better!

Archived