The Ale House At 2425 West Alabama St.

SpaceCity

The Ale House

2425 West Alabama, Houston, TX

The structure was once a farm house back when the area known as "River Oaks" was in the boonies. Now it's practically in downtown Houston. According to local legend the house was also a brothel, but no evidence can be found to support that theory. The current owners have a pretty good history on the house and land. They have 2 spirits, one male and one female. Activity reported has included moving candles, pinched guests and such. Most of the activity is reported on the second and third floors.

I havent heard anything more about the Ale House property since it was demolished :( I so regret missing the chance to see it beforehand...If anyone has anymore info on current activity on the property pls let me know :D Thanks.............

The site of The Ale House is now a parking lot in front of Chase Bank.

I cannot go by this property without feeling a pang of remorse. The Ale House was exceptional. It drew people from many different nations, diverse economic classes and cultures, yet there was always a feeling of comradery; everyone felt welcome. People used to bring their kids.

The infuriating thing is the way the developer wrested the property away from an owner who was unwilling to sell. He used the lowest forms of dirty pool. He is not forgiven. I will never patronize any business at that location.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
The Ale House

2425 West Alabama, Houston, TX

The structure was once a farm house back when the area known as "River Oaks" was in the boonies. Now it's practically in downtown Houston. According to local legend the house was also a brothel, but no evidence can be found to support that theory. The current owners have a pretty good history on the house and land. They have 2 spirits, one male and one female. Activity reported has included moving candles, pinched guests and such. Most of the activity is reported on the second and third floors.

Was The Ale House part of Steak & Ale? Years ago there was a Steak & Ale in Beaumont, but it also fell victim to the wrecking ball.

Nope. Hard to imagine folks getting too worked up over the demolition of a Steak & Ale.

I don't know if anyone got "worked up" or not over its destruction. It was just down the IH-10 service road from Bennigan's restaurant. Were both Bennigan's and Steak & Ale part of a chain? I mean, have there ever been Bennigan's or Steak & Ale restaurants in Houston?

Was The Ale House part of Steak & Ale? Years ago there was a Steak & Ale in Beaumont, but it also fell victim to the wrecking ball.

Absolutely no relation. The Ale House was an independantly owned Pub.

I don't know if anyone got "worked up" or not over its destruction. It was just down the IH-10 service road from Bennigan's restaurant. Were both Bennigan's and Steak & Ale part of a chain? I mean, have there ever been Bennigan's or Steak & Ale restaurants in Houston?

Yes Bennigan's and Steak and Ale are part of the same chain (Steak n Ale Corporation). There are plenty of Bennigan's left in Houston (11) and Steak n Ale still has a minor presence (5 stores). Check out the website. Notice at the bottom there are links to the other chains in the group.

SteaknAle

Was The Ale House part of Steak & Ale?

No. It was a very unique place. They served pub grub, had an amazing wooden English style bar, awesome patio and a wonderful selection of draught beer. I really, really miss The Ale House. Damn Chase bank and that overpriced strip center. Also, damn them for killing an amazing and beautiful tree.

No. It was a very unique place. They served pub grub, had an amazing wooden English style bar, awesome patio and a wonderful selection of draught beer. I really, really miss The Ale House. Damn Chase bank and that overpriced strip center. Also, damn them for killing an amazing and beautiful tree.

Don't forget the upstairs where the live music played. I must have seen Luther and the Healers there 10 times. Anyone else remember him. He is probably still around.

YEP

Magic the bass player is awesome- He just looks cool. His Bass used to have the word MAGIC Strewn across it. :D

Absolutely no relation. The Ale House was an independantly owned Pub.

Yes Bennigan's and Steak and Ale are part of the same chain (Steak n Ale Corporation). There are plenty of Bennigan's left in Houston (11) and Steak n Ale still has a minor presence (5 stores). Check out the website. Notice at the bottom there are links to the other chains in the group.

SteaknAle

I also remember in Beaumont back in the 1970s a restaurant across IH-10 from Bennigan's and Steak & Ale called Gallagher's. It was an Irish restaurant. Everything in it was green. The pub served Irish coffee (it had a shot of whiskey in it). I think that Gallagher's was a chain. If it was, were there any over there in Houston?

I also remember in Beaumont back in the 1970s a restaurant across IH-10 from Bennigan's and Steak & Ale called Gallagher's. It was an Irish restaurant. Everything in it was green. The pub served Irish coffee (it had a shot of whiskey in it). I think that Gallagher's was a chain. If it was, were there any over there in Houston?

yes there were numerous locations.

I miss the Ale House. :( They used to have the Ale House passport, where you drank something like 12 beers from different countries, and then you got a t-shirt.

I don't think that I've ever drank ale. Did you actually drink ale when you went to that place?

I don't think that I've ever drank ale. Did you actually drink ale when you went to that place?

Sure. Ale is a just a type of beer like Stout, Lager, or Pilsner.

Bass, Newcastle, Sierra Nevada, St. Arnolds Pale Ale are a few that come to mind. I am more of a Pilsner guy myself.

Archived