The Ale House At 2425 West Alabama St.

SpaceCity

I worked the door at the Ale House in the early 90's. It was a great college job. You met all kinds of people from "working class" to "preppie types". It was a true pub. I was fortunate enough to have my picture taken and placed on the wall above the main (back?) door leading to the parking lot. It was taken during the 10 year anniversary party at the pub. I wonder where all those photo's went. I have not seen them at Stag's Head.

The Hydrographic Society used to meet once a month on the second floor of the Ale house (90-94). I was the president of the student chapter of the society throughout college and while I'd like to say we went for the talks, it was really all about the free beer tickets they handed out at the beginning of the meetings. 1 ticket 1 beer... although they never said it couldnt be some 40 oz exotic... and it always was. Yum.

Sure. Ale is a just a type of beer like Stout, Lager, or Pilsner.

Bass, Newcastle, Sierra Nevada, St. Arnolds Pale Ale are a few that come to mind. I am more of a Pilsner guy myself.

Well, I profess my ignorance about beer/ale. I stopped drinking beer back in 2001. Since then I've drank only "spirits". I keep a bottle of whiskey/gin/vodka, etc. in my cabinet. Whenever I want to get a "buzz" I simply break out the bottle. It doesn't have to be kept cold the way that beer does. I heard that in Germany beer isn't consumed cold. My uncle told me that they drink it at room temperature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

At the Richmond Arms, we drank 20! And didn't get no stinkin shirt! Yarrrrrr! Gurgle.

Cool shirt.  I wish I had kept more mementos of my  oh- I- just-stopped -in-for-a-couple  pub years. 

More swag from misspent youth:  Kenneally's 10-year anniversary party

Kenneallys_2.jpg

Keneallys_1.jpg

Man, times sure have changed. Instead of getting a t-shirt for drinking 10 imported beers (which at the time was probably a decent percentage of all the imports available at the Ale House), now at places like the Flying Saucer you have to taste (n.b. the fine distinction between "drink" and "taste") 200 beers to get your name on a plate in their "Ring of Honor".  

I miss the Ale House. Spent many a night shooting darts there over innumerable pints. 

• 4 years later...
  • The title was changed to The Ale House At 2425 West Alabama St.

Archived