Future The Woodlands Downtown?

SpringTX

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Woodlands hopefully would never allow itself to be annexed by Houston. It's not even in the same county. It needs to be completely separate so it can establish it's own culture. Then they need to develop a zoning ordinance which would make it illegal for Wal-Mart to locate anywhere in the Woodlands city limits.

Barring passage of the proposed agreement between Houston and the Woodlands, the Woodlands has no say as far as annexation goes. Hopefully, we will annex the buisness propertys [that's where the income is] and leave the residential alone.

As far as a majority caucasian suburb establishing it's own "culture"...well it's laughable to strive for the redundant.

Imagine how much the City of Houston's population would increase if it did annex the residential areas here as well as the areas in Northwest Harris County (FM 1960) around Willowbrook Mall - where it did stick to business annexation only...

This is a unique situation in the US where there is a very large population that is not part of any city or town.

Is it just a matter of time before Houston absorbs these areas, or is the city better off to leave them alone?

Imagine how much the City of Houston's population would increase if it did annex the residential areas here as well as the areas in Northwest Harris County (FM 1960) around Willowbrook Mall - where it did stick to business annexation only...

This is a unique situation in the US where there is a very large population that is not part of any city or town.

Is it just a matter of time before Houston absorbs these areas, or is the city better off to leave them alone?

links that cover the annexation issue in depth:

to annex or not to annex?

woodlands may be headed for self-government

the future of the woodlands downtown, on the other hand ;)........is very bright and crowded. buy your grogan's mill home now. :ph34r:

Well first of all, it's not about what the people of Houston want. We don't want to be a part of Houston because the city can't provide the services needed to sustain a booming area. Look at Kingwood. If annexed, which won't happen, but if it did, the population of Houston would only increase by approx. 100,000 people. Willowbrook already lies within the city limits of Houston...I believe. We have a nice place up here (The Woodlands) and I don't want it to fall in the hands of people who are only interested in tax money. Get your own!

As a side note, if you look at a map of Houston versus other cities, there is one distinct difference. That is that many other cities have suburbs on their maps (indicated with diffent color shadings). Look at Houston and it's all white or yellow indicating Houston city limits.

As a side note, if you look at a map of Houston versus other cities, there is one distinct difference. That is that many other cities have suburbs on their maps (indicated with diffent color shadings). Look at Houston and it's all white or yellow indicating Houston city limits.

I never figured that I'd agree with RedScare's frequent comments about how self-centered Woodlanders can be, but jeez man...time for a reality check.

Look at Houston and it's all white or yellow indicating Houston city limits.

Btw, would anyone expect that Houston should be shaded any more than a single color given that all of Houston is part of Houston??? :huh:

Ok big deal....so they aren't listed as a "city". Kingwood isn't listed either!! River Oaks isn't listed, the Heights isn't listed, Cypress isn't listed.

What's your point?

The Woodlands isn't a city or part of a city. Neither is Cypress, which used to be a city but opted to dissolve their government and become part of the Houston ETJ. Kingwood is part of Houston, River Oaks is part of Houston, and the Heights are part of Houston, so all of them are listed.

Your point being they're not even listed? Ouch.

I wonder why?

My point to wxman being that suburban cities do exist in Houston, and that indeed they are shaded differently than the City of Houston on maps.

my point being that Houston is quick to annex. STAY OUT! Yes there are suburban cities, but they are under Houston's name. All annexation is for is to gain more tax money. Why do I want to be annexed, have less than sufficient police, fire, water, and garbage pick up? Not to mention that the tax money will probably be used on funding rediculous projects that benefit nobody all the while my taxes go up. Oh yes, Houston annex us now! What a joke.

Self centered? I can see just making a simple statement isn't allowed on this forum without being called a name. Grow up.

Yes there are suburban cities, but they are under Houston's name.

Wrong again! All of the cities listed at the H-GAC website I linked to are incorporated and are entirely 100% independent of the City of Houston.

my point being that Houston is quick to annex. STAY OUT! Yes there are suburban cities, but they are under Houston's name. All annexation is for is to gain more tax money. Why do I want to be annexed, have less than sufficient police, fire, water, and garbage pick up? Not to mention that the tax money will probably be used on funding rediculous projects that benefit nobody all the while my taxes go up. Oh yes, Houston annex us now! What a joke.

Please educate yourself on the issues. The most despicable (and profitable) forms of annexation are the LPAs, where Houston takes in all the commercial areas as a tax base without having to provide many services. They don't want residential areas like yours because they require too great of an outlay of resources. For the most part, they aren't worth it...they'd rather scare Woodlanders like yourself with non-credible threats of annexation in order to extort many millions of dollars from you.

Self centered? I can see just making a simple statement isn't allowed on this forum without being called a name. Grow up.

If you don't want to be lumped in with the self-centered stereotype that seems to hang over The Woodlands as it is perceived by outsiders, perhaps you should look at a map that shows more than just your local area and a bit of Houston. Because either you've only looked at your own area (i.e. self-centered), which fits the description that you ascribe to the Houston region, or you've seen a regional map but didn't notice all those other suburban cities shaded all different colors as you describe...and I could come up with a much more derrogatory description for the latter type of person, but I'll let you use your very own imagination.

I think you should read all the other posts in this Woodlands section. There are plenty of posts that are pretty clear that current inhabitants of The Woodlands do NOT feel like they have adequate services already. There are several posts about crime, the lack of police patrol, traffic worsening, etc...and there are plenty of posts about taxes and fees.

Again, I hate it when people who CHOSE to move to an unincorporated area that is within Houston's ETJ and has been planned for annexation since its inception now complain about the "threat" of being taken over. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? If you truly hate the city then you were just plain STUPID to buy where you did. It's really that simple.

I agree. I get so sick of the victimhood mentality that is rampant now days. People need to toughen up and learn that life is about making big decisions. You make the decision to move there, and you can make the decision to leave or stay.

i think that having over 85,000 residents entitles those living in the woodlands to have many different viewpoints.

we have one, ONE, very vocal complainer on haif who i truly feel for. she should've never moved out of the west loop area. yes, there is vandalism and mischief. yes, you are on your own on many occasions. welcome to the unincorporated development. i've lived in unincorporated neighborhoods my entire life and the woodlands is, by far, more community oriented and neighbor-helping-neighbor than any i've lived in before.

on the other hand, there are thousands of woodlanders who have been here since the inception and have a deep connection (conviction) with the ideals that founded the community. i cannot speak for all of this group; however, i have mixed emotions on annexation and the current state of westward development without consideration (it appears) for major transportation corridors.

then, there are thousands more who could care less either way, because they are too busy living.

one thought, there is another thread today about rampant growth in houston. it's beginning to sound like houston may have more growth issues than IT is ready for. fortunately, houston's tax base is growing right where the infrastructure upgrades will be, within its own city limits. i wonder if the tide has turned with the annexation issue as a whole? with houston's "rampant" growth in and around the loop, is the tax base increasing at such a rate that suburban areas may look less appealing? sounds like another thread.

Well, we could use all the commercial tax revenue on many of our

rediculous projects that benefit nobody
like police, fire, public safety, libraries-which you and yours are free to visit during normal operating hours by traveling any number of our new and/or re-built streets, bridges and sidewalks. There. See? We're not so self centered after all. All we want is to annex your commercial areas, take the taxes and spend them on
rediculous projects that benefit nobody
except maybe you whenever you cross into the city limits.

Well, we could use all the commercial tax revenue on many of our like police, fire, public safety, libraries-which you and yours are free to visit during normal operating hours by traveling any number of our new and/or re-built streets, bridges and sidewalks. There. See? We're not so self centered after all. All we want is to annex your commercial areas, take the taxes and spend them on except maybe you whenever you cross into the city limits.

The Woodlands wants to be self determinate and thereby needs to fund various services to make it self sufficient and independent of other entities, so it can achieve the standards not only to maintain the vision but also to accomodate the changes which will come to better itself. The city of Houston has different goals and aspirations. Never the two will be the same. We envision an independent municipality as we mature, yet a cooperative government with funds where significant regional common good will exist. Ths is what is unfolding now and I anticipate will continue to unfold over the next 20 years. People from Houston are welcome here and we will be welcome in Houston. There are no territorial rights. If we spend money there, Houston residents do not complain. If Houston residents spend money here, we do not complain. The tax money goes to the area in which it was spent to maintain that infrastructure. Enough said.

I don't have a problem with Houston. It's great actually. I have a problem with people who are close minded and won't let you get a point in. I understand what people are saying on this forum. Yes, The Woodlands was to be annexed in the original plan. The problem is The Woodlands has made a name for itself and I'm not sure if the City of Houston can keep up. The people in The Woodlands or anybody in S. Montgomery County for that matter pays very high taxes. If we were to be annexed, it will drive people right out of here.

Second, I know there are suburban cities in Houston shaded a different color. However, looking at other cities, we have very few. Hints why I said Houston was quick to annex before the people in the area had a say so. AKA...Clear Lake and Kingwood.

Don't worry wxman, Houston is not going to annex the woodlands. Woodlands residents don't think like Houstonians. They would be a drag on resources. We would regret it for the rest of our lives. The City merely wants to get paid for releasing its ETJ.

The Woodlands wants to be self determinate and thereby needs to fund various services to make it self sufficient and independent of other entities, so it can achieve the standards not only to maintain the vision but also to accomodate the changes which will come to better itself.

Then do it. Fund the lobbyists to lobby the House and Senate. Change the law. Take the first steps required to set yourselves free from your perceived threat. Just stop whining about it.

Then do it. Fund the lobbyists to lobby the House and Senate. Change the law. Take the first steps required to set yourselves free from your perceived threat. Just stop whining about it.

I believe we are in the process of doing just that.

May 19, 2007, 5:06PM

The Woodlands charts course for future governance

Local associations establish framework as transition timetable begins to take shape

By BETH KUHLES

Chronicle Correspondent

A framework for a transition to a new form of government in The Woodlands was hammered out Saturday by The Community Associations of The Woodlands.

The three associations that govern The Woodlands

Don't worry wxman, Houston is not going to annex the woodlands. Woodlands residents don't think like Houstonians. They would be a drag on resources. We would regret it for the rest of our lives. The City merely wants to get paid for releasing its ETJ.

Red, I have always found it curious that Woodlanders dislike Houston, Houstonians and sometimes Texans, with such passion. Its quirky.

I even had by boots made fun of when I moved up here. <shrug>

I haven't met anyone who dislikes Houston, Houstonians or Texas, only people who dislike the thought of annexation by Houston.

I don't think that the disdain breaks down along those lines, but there definitely is a socioeconomic and cultural division that doesn't seem to be as pronounced in places like Cinco Ranch or Sugar Land.

I don't think that the disdain breaks down along those lines, but there definitely is a socioeconomic and cultural division that doesn't seem to be as pronounced in places like Cinco Ranch or Sugar Land.

please explain. the woodlands is a model for socioeconomic diversity. yes, there is a new level of affluence in carlton woods and east shore, but that is a few hundred homes. i think any disdain for houston would be along the lines of traffic, lack of development/aesthetic controls and too much concrete. "disdain" has a negative, possibly malicious, connotation.

perhaps, the idealism of many woodlanders is perceived as "disdain for houston" by outsiders? idealism requires that something be less than ideal. houston is "less than ideal" for most who live here, that is why they are here, but i wouldn't use the word "disdain".

Regardless, thanks for the 45 mil. Maybe we'll build a soccer stadium with it.

Oh, and welcome back to civilization Katie.

Thanks Red, we close in a few weeks. Hubby is so excited I'm afraid he'll pop a tent in the front yard until we close. ;)

Archived