Texas Southern University's President Being Protected By Black Panthers

Does anyone else find it peculiar that everyone around this woman and trying to protect this woman, who is a "pillar" in the black community but, without a doubt, has used her power for EVIL, are trying sooooo hard to tell everyone to please not judge her yet, until all the facts have come out. I think the local news media has pretty much got all the "facts" straight on this one so far, is there something they are missing. She keeps "borrowing" school money to pay for upgrades and maid services around her house. Have you seen that house. NICE ! Does anyone think this is a Witchhunt or is she guilty as sin ? Opinions ? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely guilty as sin in my opinion. I can buy the argument that she needs a nice house for the part of her job that requires entertaining potential donors with deep pockets. But does she really need $100,000 of landscaping to do that? Or a $9,000 bed? Or a $17,000 sofa? The woman is obviously a selfish, corrupt individual with a total lack of integrity. If she hadn't been out splurging on herself with the university's credit card, those funds could have been put to much better use, like increasing the university's scholarship funds so that more financial aid is available to students, or bringing in new faculty to try and improve TSU's barely average academic programs.

TSU is a client of my employer, and based on some stories I've heard from coworkers who have been there, they have a LOT of problems on that campus. Firing Slade is the best thing their Board has done in a while. Hopefully they'll continue to look deeper and clean house a little more -- and then find some honest, and well qualified, people to put into their senior administrative positions.

wiggins as CFO wasn't a good deal, either

aaaand, she already gets almost 50k per year for home expenses, and that seems like enough if you only have held seven events in seven years (although i bet she can (well, could) throw one heck of a party with all the money she spent) :blink:

Wiggins, whose criminal record includes nine convictions for writing worthless checks, resigned under duress last month.
Slade is expected to entertain donors in her home and receives $48,000 annually for housing expenses. But Bracewell & Giulani found that she has hosted seven events, and not all of them for donors, at her home during her tenure.

"Entertaining donors" and "$9000 bed" in the same article. No wonder she's always smiling.

That's the least vulgar comment I could come up with.

:lol: and that was a $9,169 sleigh bed, at that - can you say par-tay?!

I'm not trying to defend Ms. Slade, but I'd be curious to compare her expenses to those of other public university presidents in the state. What do the presidents of UH, UT-Austin, Texas A&M-College Station, Texas Tech expense? What do they spend on travel, furnishings, landscaping, etc.?

I have a feeling they're "cleaning up" their expense accounts right now...you think their butts are puckered yet?

I'm not trying to defend Ms. Slade, but I'd be curious to compare her expenses to those of other public university presidents in the state. What do the presidents of UH, UT-Austin, Texas A&M-College Station, Texas Tech expense? What do they spend on travel, furnishings, landscaping, etc.?

I have a feeling they're "cleaning up" their expense accounts right now...you think their butts are puckered yet?

Timmy, the problem is you got 2 people working together, Ms. Slade, and the accountant for TSU, the accountant had to approve those expenses. C'mon, a $9000 bed, who is she "entertaining" in THAT thing ! <_< Even if all these expenses were loans, you go to the bank for that, you don't make the institution you are suppose to uphold to the highest standards, as your personal ATM !

you would think that any respectable university would have a home for it's president. all furnishings, entertaining and operating expenses go through a board, determined by a budget, and the president would be "honored" to live in the place for free. a university funding this level of spending for the private home of a president seems to be a recipe for fraud, or at minimum the appearance of fraud.

i can see some exceptions. say, if the president has a nice home already, then, perhaps the school would pay for the catering of events. that way, a board would have itemized expenses, invitation lists at it's disposal after the event concluded.

the next president of tsu would remain above reproach by identifying what respectable universities do and following suit within the budget and recommendations of the school's board. continuing the practice of allowances for a private residence is not a good idea.

it seems that tsu needs outside help on how to be a good university. tsu, in it's current state, is not an asset to houston, nor the black community. IMHO it is doing a disservice to both.

you would think that any respectable university would have a home for it's president. all furnishings, entertaining and operating expenses go through a board, determined by a budget, and the president would be "honored" to live in the place for free. a university funding this level of spending for the private home of a president seems to be a recipe for fraud, or at minimum the appearance of fraud.

i can see some exceptions. say, if the president has a nice home already, then, perhaps the school would pay for the catering of events. that way, a board would have itemized expenses, invitation lists at it's disposal after the event concluded.

the next president of tsu would remain above reproach by identifying what respectable universities do and following suit within the budget and recommendations of the school's board. continuing the practice of allowances for a private residence is not a good idea.

it seems that tsu needs outside help on how to be a good university. tsu, in it's current state, is not an asset to houston, nor the black community. IMHO it is doing a disservice to both.

I agree with this. At a minimum, I think TSU needs to rethink how they handle the lodgings of their sitting president, regardless of the eventual outcome of the Slade tenure.

That is most often the case. A home is provided by the university for its President.

However, I can think of a lot of adjectives that accurately describe TSU. Respectable is not one of them.

Well said. TSU is an embarrassment to the community. Let's not forget that this is the university that went through one President after another in the 1980s and 1990s. And it's also the university who had several band members get arrested for shoplifting while on a football trip several years ago. Academically, TSU consistently ranks among the lowest of the low in the US. The problem is that many people seem to continually overlook the decades of horrible management there and continue to make excuses for the university.

Enjoy today's chronicle, it appears Ms. Slade is suing TSU because she didn't get her mandatory hearing before the board decided to terminate her contract. Someone who knowingly wastes public money in a manner that she did should be terminated. For some reason, she doesn't see what everyone else does. Or maybe she found a deal on some furniture.....

Enjoy today's chronicle, it appears Ms. Slade is suing TSU because she didn't get her mandatory hearing before the board decided to terminate her contract. Someone who knowingly wastes public money in a manner that she did should be terminated. For some reason, she doesn't see what everyone else does. Or maybe she found a deal on some furniture.....

This could have all been avoided if she would have just gone to Gallery Furniture, because Gallery Furniture really will...save TSU money!

I realized that the University of Texas does not have a sattelite campus in Houston.

What if UT took over TSU and turned it into "UT Houston".

...better yet just have UH annex it...it couldn't be any worse than it is now.

B)

...better yet just have UH annex it...it couldn't be any worse than it is now.

B)

No that would be an improvement in many ways.

What's sad about this whole mess is how TSU keeps making a bad name for itself with this kind of stuff going on. Some remarkable people have graduated from that university, and it has had a number of accomplishments over the years that are noteworthy. But when the university is so poorly run for so many years, all people think of is the bad stuff like the $9000 bed and $100,000 landscaping.

And I'm still amazed at how Dr. Slade continues to think she's done nothing wrong. Talk about denial!

i hope the b!tch rotts in hell and the furniture goes there with her. >:)

Teachers aren't really supposed to speak of the issue to students but on Friday, my teacher livened up the room said Screw it, shouldn't she go to jail? He had our class rollin'. Tellin' jokes on how she's trying to retalitate by using her mandatory hearing before dismissal BS !! PUULEASE.

The sad part about it is, she knows she wrong. And she's still trying to justify her case. She should be eaten up with guilt knowing that with the money that she's indulging in was taking away from scholarship money that could be given to the students. Anyone that greedy and selfish is going st8 2 hell.

To bachannon and ssulivan, i agree with alot of points you made about TSU's reputation. But me, as a student there finds it a little harsh saying its embarassing to the city of houston and the black community. It's a school that does have charachter and events that that are very well known to the hip-hop community. Plus, its a big part of Houston's black History and Third Ward. Betcha didn't know that TSU was the only college blacks could attend at first because they were prohibited from grounds at Uof H?

I'd hate to see TSU get taken over by another university. It would take away from the identity and History of it all.

grey

And I'm still amazed at how Dr. Slade continues to think she's done nothing wrong. Talk about denial!

That fake smile is getting old to me. She KNOWS she's guilty but cannot accept responsibilty for her own actions! Just like that girl from Clueless said, "Denial is more than a river in Egypt."

031007.jpg

I'm sorry I ruined your Black Panter party.

Actually, I'm appalled at what this woman has done and is doing to TSU. Her "over the top" expenditures have given the university an even worse reputation than it already has. How this was allowed to go on for 7 years is beyond me.

Archived