Tom DeLay Says He Will Give Up His Seat

WesternGulf

MARK WILSON / GETTYU.S. Representative Tom DeLay on Capitol Hill

Web Exclusive| Nation

Exclusive: Tom DeLay Says He Will Give Up His Seat

The embattled former Republican leader tells TIME that he will leave Congress and not seek reelection

By MIKE ALLEN/SUGAR LAND, TEXAS

Rep. Tom DeLay, whose iron hold on the House Republicans melted as a lobbying corruption scandal engulfed the Capitol, told TIME that he will not seek reelection and will leave Congress within months. Taking defiant swipes at "the left" and the press, he said he feels "liberated" and vowed to pursue an aggressive speaking and organizing campaign aimed at promoting foster care, Republican candidates and a closer connection between religion and government.

"I'm going to announce tomorrow that I'm not running for reelection and that I'm going to leave Congress," DeLay, who turns 59 on Saturday, said during a 90-minute interview on Monday. "I'm very much at peace with it." He notified President Bush in the afternoon. DeLay and his wife, Christine, said they had been prepared to fight, but that he decided last Wednesday, after months of prayer and contemplation, to spare his suburban Houston district the mudfest to come. "This had become a referendum on me," he said. "So it's better for me to step aside and let it be a referendum on ideas, Republican values and what's important for this district."

Read More: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,...1179853,00.html

I put this in transportation, since that's where I know his impacts more...but here it is:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3768622.html

I'd hate to lose his seniority, but what do you guys think will happen--especially regarding Houston's transit issues?

So now it's Sugar Land Mayor Wallace vs. Nick Lampson. It should be pretty close. Anyone know much about Wallace or Lampson.

I put this in transportation, since that's where I know his impacts more...but here it is:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3768622.html

I'd hate to lose his seniority, but what do you guys think will happen--especially regarding Houston's transit issues?

So now it's Sugar Land Mayor Wallace vs. Nick Lampson. It should be pretty close. Anyone know much about Wallace or Lampson.

You know i'm, not really sure on how to respond to this one. The good-hearted side of me actually sympathizes with the guy. I mean, afterall, his experience level seems to be highly reveared. But the fact still remains on how i've grown very tired and angry of seeing our taxpayer dollars going to every city but Houston when it comes to lightrail. Cities such as Dallas and Denver all seem to have no trouble when it comes to gaining federal dollars to improve their rail systems.

I think the best way to explain how i feel about this is that it's one roadblock that has been moved aside for Houston to improving its transportation options. Period.

So, one of two things must be true, either Earl has the goods and Tom knows it, so he is gonna step down before he causes further embarassment, OOOOOOOOORRRRRRR he is just sick of it all and knows even though he will be acquitted, he will never be shown in a good light, so he steps down so it will not take away from the real issues at hand come election time, and Earl's witchhunt is all for not either way because 'ol Tommyboy just took all the wind out of his sails. Good Job Tom, always have to keep one step ahead ! :D

Nobody EVER saw it coming, not even we Republicans. WOW !

The Washington Post provides some insight into Delay's leaving.

But some of DeLay's official actions in Congress clearly fall within the scope of the continuing investigation: Last week's guilty plea by Rudy cites as part of the evidence of conspiracy a letter that DeLay wrote on behalf of an Abramoff client and legislation that DeLay supported on behalf of a client of Abramoff's firm.

DeLay has assembled a substantial legal team to fight back, and he has a defense fund -- financed largely by corporations with business before Congress -- that contained more than $600,000 at the end of last year, based on the cumulative record of its receipts and contributions. But contributions to the fund dropped from $318,000 to $181,500 between the third and fourth quarters of 2005.

DeLay also is entitled under federal election rules to convert any or all of the remaining funds from his reelection campaign to his legal expenses, whether or not he resigns, is indicted or loses the election. Election lawyers say one advantage of bowing out of the election now is that the campaign cash can be converted to pay legal bills immediately, instead of being drained in the course of a bid to stay in office.

As of Feb. 15, when his campaign filed its most recent report with the Federal Election Commission, DeLay had $1,295,350 on hand. But that was two weeks before the Texas primary in which DeLay bested three Republican rivals to win renomination, and the pot of money available to him now may be considerably less.

By stepping aside so early in an election year, a lawmaker "wouldn't be spending to be reelected" and could transfer the funds immediately to fend off any federal charges, said lawyer Kenneth A. Gross, a former head of the FEC's enforcement division. The last lawmaker to gain the FEC's formal approval for such a transfer was Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham (R-Calif.), who resigned last November after pleading guilty to evading taxes and accepting bribes.

Cunningham and DeLay shared a major contributor, Brent Wilkes, whose actions figured in the probe that led to Cunningham's eight-year prison term. Wilkes flew DeLay on his corporate jet at a time when he was seeking government contracts for his computer software firm, though no evidence has emerged that DeLay provided favors for Wilkes.

The central legal challenge for DeLay is more likely to arise from the work of the federal task force, made up of FBI and tax agents, Interior Department investigators, and prosecutors from the Justice Department's public integrity unit. A grand jury subpoena issued by the FBI in February for records of the U.S. Family Network, a nonprofit group formed by Buckham, specifically asked for any documents related to DeLay; his wife, Christine; Buckham's lobbying firm; Rudy; and a variety of contributors to the group from among Abramoff's client list.

This above referenced section from the Washington Post article seems to imply that perhaps Tom Delay did not want to give up his seat "for the good of the party" or because he's fearful he might lose, (c'mon, this is Tom Delay we're talking about here...), but instead he saw the writing on the wall, and decided to take Door #3, cover his butt converting whatever campaign contributions he's accrued into legal defense funds.

The Houston Chronicle says field will be crowded with replacement candidates for Delay's seat.

Those who acknowledged interest in the seat or were mentioned as contenders included Harris County Judge Robert Eckels, state Rep. Robert Talton, Sugar Land Mayor David Wallace, Houston City Councilwoman Shelley Sekula-Gibbs, former state District Judge John Devine and lawyer Tom Campbell, who ran against DeLay in the March Republican Primary.

-snip-

Other phones also were ringing as politicians gauged potential support or heard from backers.

"I've had a number of calls this evening. I'll visit with my family and look at the process," Eckels said. "I do have an interest in at least looking at the race."

He said that his experience coordinating the local response to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita left him frustrated with the federal government and its impact on local issues.

Out of all the names mentioned in the Houston Chronicle story referenced above, I thought the most interesting one was Judge Eckels. His star seems to have risen lately, since his quick-thinking actions in the face of last year's disasters, Hurricanes Katrina & Rita. (Now, who would replace him?)

The republicans in this state are like chickens. You cut off the head but they still keep on cluckin'

whoever replaces him will be the same, and he'll kill any new transit like delay did :(

Yeah ! Let's get a Democrat in there so he or she can raise the hell out our taxes to help pay for this thing. It's about damn time, I am tired of not paying more taxes Zap, how about you ?

Yeah ! Let's get a Democrat in there so he or she can raise the hell out our taxes to help pay for this thing. It's about damn time, I am tired of not paying more taxes Zap, how about you ?

...or we could just keep on electing Republicans and watch the deficit balloon even more.

Talk about tax and spend...sheesh...

B)

So, one of two things must be true, either Earl has the goods and Tom knows it, so he is gonna step down before he causes further embarassment, OOOOOOOOORRRRRRR he is just sick of it all and knows even though he will be acquitted, he will never be shown in a good light, so he steps down so it will not take away from the real issues at hand come election time, and Earl's witchhunt is all for not either way because 'ol Tommyboy just took all the wind out of his sails. Good Job Tom, always have to keep one step ahead ! :D

Nobody EVER saw it coming, not even we Republicans. WOW !

Don't think it's the Earl deal that's running him off. He would have gone earlier. I think it has to do with another high level staffer pleading guilty. Either someone is singing or the appearances of having two staffers plead guilty is just too much to overcome.

Maybe there's a God after all!

Now maybe he

Don't think it's the Earl deal that's running him off. He would have gone earlier. I think it has to do with another high level staffer pleading guilty. Either someone is singing or the appearances of having two staffers plead guilty is just too much to overcome.

Gotta admit. He sure could take a mug shot.

I personally think the man is tired of all the B.S. Maybe he thinks it is time to make some money in the private sector before he may or may not be found guilty. I, of course,am hoping for a not guilty verdict, so I can rub it in all your faces. but, i am selfish like that.

You can even bring up the "fiscal responsability" thing with a straight face? With their spending, led by Tommy, your going to pay more in taxes. Just later than sooner. And really, have you seen much from the Bush tax cuts? If so, congrats on being in such a high income bracket.

I personally think the man is tired of all the B.S.

Tired of all the BS. Paaaaaaalease, he's a politician. He thrives on it.

I could be a genius political move. He knows his claws have been trimmed by the scandals and the indictment so even if he was to win the election he'd have almost none of the power he once commanded. But there are still those, like TJ, who hang on his every word. He will be just as powerful a voice of Capitol Hill as on it.

Either someone is singing or the appearances of having two staffers plead guilty is just too much to overcome.

I'm going for the "Singer Theory".

Wouldn't be surprised to see the little puppy skip the country either.

Either way, he is a master of the "cut and run", isn't he?

B)

I could be a genius political move. He knows his claws have been trimmed by the scandals and the indictment so even if he was to win the election he'd have almost none of the power he once commanded. But there are still those, like TJ, who hang on his every word. He will be just as powerful a voice of Capitol Hill as on it.

You assume too much CE, I have said from the beginning, if the man is found guilty, then he get what he deserves. Wrong is wrong, if he is found to be so, then so be it. But, I do relish the fact that when he is found not guilty, I will probably have to build an Ark too weather all of y'all's tears. :lol:

His power has obviously been greatly reduced and would likely see even further decline if he were to be reelected. So my guess is that going back to an average Joe in the House was just not very appetizing especially considering how hard he would have to fight.

As for the impact on Houston, it is usually a major loss to lose someone with such seniority. However, my perception is that DeLay was more consumed with national issues and not really a major breadwinner for Houston. Depending on your perspective, his blocking of light rail funds is either a plus or a minus (I view it as a plus since the system is a poor way to spend scarce money.) I didn't see him really improving Texas' payback on highway funds, although things could be worse without him.

It is unclear how much support he provided for the Johnson Space Center. JSC could be at greater risk for cuts without him, however.

So overall, I don't think Houston will really feel this.

Archived