Getting a new arena

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

Being tha tnow we've finally got our new arena how long do you think it'll be before we get our next one?

Going by other cities I think we should get new stadiums and arenas about every 15 years. That being The Summit shoud have been replaced 16 years ago and The Astrodome 26. So yeas you can see we're behind on time. But if we followed the how other cities go, we'd have gotten our 3rd arena last year and be getting our 4th stadium 4 years from now. Other cities have multiple arenas and stadiums.

But obviously being that this is Texas it isn't going to happen that way. So what do you think , should we go ahead and build new venues now or wait till around 2015 to start building newer ones?

He's absolutely right. The Juice Box is completly and totally obsolete! We should demolish it and build a brand new baseball stadium in the Galleria along the proposed monorail. Future plans could call for the new Texans staduim to be built in West. U next to the Brays Bayou tollway, Also it could be connected by megawalk to the new baseball stadium and the basketball arena, suspended high above the city by harrier jump jets!

Being tha tnow we've finally got our new arena how long do you think it'll be before we get our next one?

Going by other cities I think we should get new stadiums and arenas about every 15 years. That being The Summit shoud have been replaced 16 years ago and The Astrodome 26. So yeas you can see we're behind on time. But if we followed the how other cities go, we'd have gotten our 3rd arena last year and be getting our 4th stadium 4 years from now. Other cities have multiple arenas and stadiums.

But obviously being that this is Texas it isn't going to happen that way. So what do you think , should we go ahead and build new venues now or wait till around 2015 to start building newer ones?

The Summit was replaced by the Toyota Center.

The Astrodome was replaced by Minute Maid Park and Reliant Stadium.

Houston has more than its share of state-of-the-art stadia. What's the problem?

Guest Plastic
He's absolutely right. The Juice Box is completly and totally obsolete! We should demolish it and build a brand new baseball stadium in the Galleria along the proposed monorail. Future plans could call for the new Texans staduim to be built in West. U next to the Brays Bayou tollway, Also it could be connected by megawalk to the new baseball stadium and the basketball arena, suspended high above the city by harrier jump jets!

It must have taken alot of researching to write that.

Besides the fact that we have brand new (relatively) stadiums for most sports, what cities consistently get new stadiums every 15 years?

I will just skip the stadiums only used for a year or two...

New York

Yankees-Yankee Stadium(1923-1973),renovation(1976-today)

Mets-Shea Stadium(1964-today)

Knicks-Madison Square Garden(1968-today)

Giants-Giants Stadium(1976-today)

Jets-Giants Stadium(1984-today)

Chicago

white sox-Comiskey Park(1910-1990), U.S. Cellular field(1991-today)

Cubs-Wrigley Field(1916-today)

Bears-Wrigley Field(1921-1970), Soldier Field(1971-2001),rebuilt(2003-today)

Bulls-Chicago Stadium(1967-1994), United Center(1994-today)

Atlanta

Braves-Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium(1966-1996), Turner Field(1997-today)

Falcons-Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (1966-1991), Georgia Dome (1992-today)

Hawks-Omni Coliseum(1972-1997), Philips Arena(1999-today)

Dallas

Cowboy-Texas Stadium(1971-today)

Mavericks-Reunion Arena(1980-2001), American Airlines Center(2001-today)

Rangers-Arlington Stadium(1972-1993), Ameriquest Field in Arlington(1994-today)

Seattle

Mariners-Kingdome(1977-1999), Safeco Field(1999-today)

Seahawks-Kingdome(1976-1999), Qwest Field(2002-today)

Sonics-Key Arena(1967

Guest Plastic

Dallas I know got a new arena and Madison Sqaure Garden has been remodeled sevral times.

And I didn't say ever 15 years was required but is the earliest it should start.

When planing new sportcomplexes it should be every 15-25 years.

Dallas I know got a new arena and Madison Sqaure Garden has been remodeled sevral times.

All the stadiums I posted for Dallas were used at least 15 years or are still being used. You said we were behind on the time for not replacing our stadiums after 15 years. Not to mention, don't you want something that cost half a billion dollars (reliant stadium) to build to last more than 15 years? As for Madison Square Garden I am not sure about any renovations, if there were it was not extensive enough to have to temporarily move facilities as seen in other cities. This is the fourth MSG though, with the third one being built in 1925. But I don't think that is what you were talking about.

Jets-Giants Stadium(1984-today)

1984? No, I don't think so. More like 1976. I saw Genesis' Invisible Touch tour there around 1988, and it was a nasty piece of crap. Surely it took more than four years to become a giant concrete toilet.

When planing new sportcomplexes it should be every 15-25 years.

Why?

1984? No, I don't think so. More like 1976. I saw Genesis' Invisible Touch tour there around 1988, and it was a nasty piece of crap. Surely it took more than four years to become a giant concrete toilet.

Why?

If you happened to notice, right above it, it says Giants Stadium(1976-today). The Jets have played there since 1984.

Besides the fact that we have brand new (relatively) stadiums for most sports, what cities consistently get new stadiums every 15 years?

I will just skip the stadiums only used for a year or two...

Dallas

Cowboy-Texas Stadium(1971-today)

Rangers-Arlington Stadium(1972-1993), Ameriquest Field in Arlington(1994-today)

...these are not Dallas teams. I know a lot of people think the Cowboys and Rangers are Dallas teams-they are not. I always wondered if maybe the city of Dallas just flat-out refused to use public funds to build sports stadiums for bazillionair team owners-if so, it is clearly a lesson Houston could learn from.

B)

Stadiums become obsolete when team owners realize they can make even more money with a newer, improved facility. Then they can hold the city hostage by threatening to leave town if they don

One *small* problem I see is that we're using 30-year bonds to pay for these stadiums that you want every 15 years.

You know we're still paying for Bud Adams' late-80's/early 90's Astrodome expansion...the one that he promised would bring us the Superbowl, and keep him from moving the team. As long as I live I'll curse that man for forcing Harris County to scrap the greatest scoreboard that mankind has ever seen!

One *small* problem I see is that we're using 30-year bonds to pay for these stadiums that you want every 15 years.

You know we're still paying for Bud Adams' late-80's/early 90's Astrodome expansion...the one that he promised would bring us the Superbowl, and keep him from moving the team. As long as I live I'll curse that man for forcing Harris County to scrap the greatest scoreboard that mankind has ever seen!

Thanks for reminding me. :angry2:

Stadiums become obsolete when team owners realize they can make even more money with a newer, improved facility. Then they can hold the city hostage by threatening to leave town if they don’t get what they want.

As much as I dislike the place, Los Angeles, to my knowledge, is the only large city to not cave in to the demands of these thugs when they let the Rams go, then allowed the Texans to have the next team rather than building a new stadium. Kudos to LA for that!

Why can’t there be more facilities built in the manner of Dallas’s American Airlines Center where American and other private funds paid for the arena rather than making taxpayers do so?

Arn't all of our Theatres Privately funded?

Guest Plastic

Dallas just built American Airlines Arena.

San Antonio just built a new arena when they just built The Alamodome for basketball 10 years earlier.

Yea, thanks for reminding us. Now I'm pissed again. I cant believe we allowed Butt Adams to screw Houstonians like he did. Oh, he tried to make amends, remember? He donated a bunch of money after Tropical Strom Allison flooded the city. But it doesnt change the way he screwed us with that renovation ____ that all of us are still paying for every month with our taxes. That assh*le

Dallas just built American Airlines Arena.

San Antonio just built a new arena when they just built The Alamodome for basketball 10 years earlier.

For your first thing, what is your point? We just built Toyota Center. So what?

As for the Alamodome, it was not built just for the Spurs. It was built as a multi-purpose facilty, and it is still being used.

For your first thing, what is your point? We just built Toyota Center. So what?

As for the Alamodome, it was not built just for the Spurs. It was built as a multi-purpose facilty, and it is still being used.

First off, to the topic: :lol::lol::lol:

BUT as to the AlamoDome? C'mon, the idea that the Dome served it's purpose throws me off. The owner of the Spurs started demanding a new stadium for the Spurs FOUR years after they moved into the Dome. The stadium was also built to lure in an NFL team. Name one professional team now playing in the Dome.

To Plastic: 15 years life-span on a stadium is really steep, yo. However, these days especially with baskeball, it seems like a stadium that's over 25 years old is considered the oldest in the league, and starts debates about remodeling or replacing them. Maybe the arguement should be to have money from ticket sales going to getting a new stadium ready for the teams 25 years from now, so the city and team both wouldn't have to pay as much. I can't see today though why anyone would want to leave the stadiums we now have. I mean, c'mon, what's next for our teams? Stadiums hovering over ground?

To Heights2Bastrop, you're right. Thank you LA...for giving us the Texans. God knows we wouldn't have a team if L.A. got that stadium plan in place on time. The NFL seems to kissing MAD L.A. ass, yo. There no way a city other than L.A. or NYC could have gotten another team guaranteed to them without city funding. I would have LOVED to see Houston get that kind of respect, but never will because our population isn't as high.

L.A. doesnt like football, they love the Lakers, nobody even talks about football in L.A. its just not amusing, but yea why build new arena, i love the ones we have now, when the time comes then we will decide what to do, until then, lets let that bridge have its walk another day

some of those stadiums that were listed are 80 years old. they have something called history, and charm, and mystique, and all that crap. that is why they haven't replaced them. It's just too hard to walk away from Fenway Park. It's hard to walk away from Wrigley Field, and Yankee stadium.

30-40 years is the ideal time. A lot changes then.

Look at the cookie cutter stadiums of the 60s and 70s. I'm talking about Busch Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Riverfront Stadium, Veterens Stadium, Jack Murphy Stadium, Fulton County Stadium, The Kingdome. They were all the rage. They could be used for football, and baseball.

You fast forward to the mid-90s and these stadiums suck ass compared to Camden Yards, or Jacobs Field.

the owners will figure some way to draw more money from a stadium in 40 years.

Guest Plastic

I say 15 for a fast city and 25 for a slow cityy like Houston. WHile the new arena or stadium opens the old one's still operational. It may even get rennovated. Then we'll have 2 arenas and 2 football stadiums.Then in 15-25 years when the next stadium or arena get's built the original is used less or torn down.

I say 15 for a fast city and 25 for a slow cityy like Houston. WHile the new arena or stadium opens the old one's still operational. It may even get rennovated. Then we'll have 2 arenas and 2 football stadiums.Then in 15-25 years when the next stadium or arena get's built the original is used less or torn down.

Why do I bother reading your posts?

I have a proposal for you, Plastic: How about we build a football stadium, a baseball stadium, and an arena once per year. We can start immediately by building a football stadium adjacent to the existing old one and the Astrodome. Then, next year, while the first new one is about 50% done, we can tear down the Astrodome and start work on the replacement for the new football stadium. Just as the new stadium that we started at present comes on line, we can tear down that decrepit old Reliant Stadium, and start on the third replacement while the one on the old Astrodome site is 50% completed. Then we can keep the cycle going indefinitely. Just think of all those Superbowls...how many female celebrities do you think we can get to show us their goods on national TV in consecutive years?

We can do the same three-site rotation with Minute Maid Park and the land directly across US 59 from it.

I'm afraid that with the Arena, we're just going to have to bulldoze the GRB...that's ok, we'll build another one, a 50-story one on top of the downtown park site -- and then we can tear it down a year later! Hmmm...that gives us two sites for the Arena, at least until the GRB is ultimately relocated to the Astroworld site, where it can rotate without interference from that pesky rotating Arena.

And what of the soccer stadium? Does the Twombly Gallery really need to be right THERE?

Archived