Gas Station & Convenience Store In Downtown

hindesky

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that parking lot was closed and locked.  I guess now we know why.

And I guess that if it's no longer earning revenue, construction shouldn't be too far off.

• Like 1

Will this have gas? Seems like a tight squeeze to put pumps and a real disregard for pedestrians, especially with a damn train running right next to it. If it's just a convenient store, then that works. And to the comment about Mains St 2.0, this doesn't look good for the future of that if this is the case, UNLESS it's just a convenient store. What's also interesting is Zimmerman Interests owns the lot. They specialize in rehabbing old buildings. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

This is all pretty confusing. Zimmerman Interests owns 110 & 114 Main Street and the owners are really interested in rehabbing and revitalizing the northern edge of Main Street. It'd make a ton of sense if they were developing this land into something new, but it makes no sense for a gas station developer to come in and build something there

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hindesky said:

I probably didn't give the right address but this doesn't belong to the Islamic Da'wah Center, it belongs to ZIMMERMAN INTERESTS INC.

I9xKn3A.pngNM3BkUA.pnglawzXU0.png

PGBERIf.png

nyFhtAX.png

@hindesky you didn't provide the correct address. The parcels included on the Equilent 2402 subdivision plat are:

• 208 Main St 
  • 214 Main St

Both parcels were owned by 214 Main Purchase LLC, an entity of Zimmerman Interests. However, a warranty deed recorded to the county clerk's database shows the properties changed hands earlier this year.

Equilon Enterprises LLC and Shell Oil Products US acquired 208 Main St and 214 Main St in January. The change in ownership has yet to be reflected on HCAD's website.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

10 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

@hindesky you didn't provide the correct address. The parcels included on the Equilent 2402 subdivision plat are:

• 208 Main St 
  • 214 Main St

Both parcels were owned by 214 Main Purchase LLC, an entity of Zimmerman Interests. However, a warranty deed recorded to the county clerk's database shows the properties changed hands earlier this year.

Equilon Enterprises LLC and Shell Oil Products US acquired 208 Main St and 214 Main St in January. The change in ownership has yet to be reflected on HCAD's website.

Damn that doesn't seem like a good thing, especially for the MS 2.0 project

8 minutes ago, editor said:

Does anyone see a way this can end up improving things?  Or are we looking at Main Street Market all over again?

Just now, IntheKnowHouston said:

Anything is better than what's there now which is a surface lot for parking. I hope whatever is built here will blend architecturally with the surrounding buildings.

It is a surface parking lot, but it also the site of one of the district's more striking murals.

An actual gas station would be a step down, in my opinion, though it seems an unlikely outcome.

A miniature Phoenicia-type market with a small patio fronting the mural, or a small night market/patio for the adjacent Hotel Icon would both be excellent uses for the parcels, in my opinion, but with Shell as the owner, that doesn't seem likely.

Does anybody here know anything about the diversity of Shell Oil Products' properties? 

Also, even if it just a convenience store, I don't think that's a reason to give up all hope. Plenty of good gas station taquerías in the city and Downtown continues to desperately need decent breakfast taco option. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

even if it just a convenience store, I don't think that's a reason to give up all hope. Plenty of good gas station taquerías in the city and Downtown continues to desperately need decent breakfast taco option. 

It makes me a bit sad to think that all downtown Houston can aspire to is gas station tacos.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, editor said:

It makes me a bit sad to think that all downtown Houston can aspire to is gas station tacos.

It makes me a bit sad (for you) that your disdain for the city to which you have chosen to return causes you to take that from what 004n063 wrote. He/She didn't say or imply any such thing.

• Like 1

Shell has been trying to acquire sites inside the loop for EV Charging. Given this site doesn't lay out well for a typical gas station, seems like it might make sense to become an EV Charging station.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, HNathoo said:

Shell has been trying to acquire sites inside the loop for EV Charging. Given this site doesn't lay out well for a typical gas station, seems like it might make sense to become an EV Charging station.

That would make the most sense, really.  

I'm sitting here, reading this thread, and wondering about the challenges of getting fuel tanks in the ground without disturbing things like the light rail system, and if the digging would compromise other foundations around the immediate area.  

Then, atop that, it really isn't big enough to be a good sized gas station........

This just seemed odd to me, but a charge station would seem....less odd?

• Like 2

Shell has also been putting more emphasis on gaining revenue from non-fuel sales. Several years ago, they said they were aiming to get 50% of their revenue from non-fuel by 2025. And they have at least tested a "Shell Select" c-store model with a heavy focus on food.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

Shell has also been putting more emphasis on gaining revenue from non-fuel sales. Several years ago, they said they were aiming to get 50% of their revenue from non-fuel by 2025. And they have at least tested a "Shell Select" c-store model with a heavy focus on food.

I think Exxon or Chevron is doing the same thing.  I read something in the Chronicle about it buying a bunch of convenience stores and the fast food chain attached to them.  The name escapes me, but I've seen them elsewhere in Houston.  So maybe this is Shell's version of that.  

But I like @HNathoo's EV charging station idea much better.

I would hope for a Shell Select over an EV charging station, only because it would seem like too much of an oversight on their part to build an EV station on a (future) pedestrian street. I certainly hope that they don't know something we don't about Main Street 2.0.

On the other hand, if there is certainty around MS2.0, then a quick build convenience store is a smart play on Shell's part - safe, easy money on a plot whose value is likely to significantly increase in the coming years. Buy and build now, profit for a few years, and then sell it to a hospitality group in 2035.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So even if it is an EV station like we all assume it will be, what does that mean for Main St 2.0? 

Maybe Chaad Whitmire already cancelled MS2.0?

Edited by hindesky
  • Haha 1

Even disregarding MS2.0, this seems a lousy place for a charging station, unless they think they'll get a lot of apartment dwellers buying EVs without access to charging at home. I think that's a pretty tiny market still, because of how long it takes to charge. There's no viable access there for people on long trips, so who would use it?