I-10 Inner Katy Managed Lanes Project

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is seeking feedback from residents on its proposed improvement plans along Interstate 10 from Voss Road to I-45, also known as the Inner Katy Corridor. The project includes 6.3 miles of new managed lanes and expanding the current drainage system. Managed lanes typically include HOV lanes, toll lanes and bus lanes.

In a presentation released before an in-person public meeting at TxDOT Houston headquarters Thursday evening, the agency detailed two plans. The first is four elevated managed lanes with minimal right of way needed and no residential and business displacements. The second proposes four non-elevated lanes that would displace an estimated 52 residential structures and 30 businesses. 

TxDOT said that the project aims to reduce traffic in the area, citing this segment of I-10 as the 7th most congested roadway in Texas. In 2018, the Inner Katy Corridor saw 273,450 daily vehicles. In 2023, that number grew to 292,460 daily vehicles. By 2038 the agency projects 130,000 more vehicles a day. 

Agency officials also say the project is necessary because of the importance of I-10 as a freight corridor. It's estimated that more than 60 million tons of freight use this freeway to get through Houston's center every year, according to the agency. Those goods are valued at over $130 billion annually.

"Congestion increases the cost and delivery time of commodities such as Amazon deliveries groceries and commercial goods," a TxDOT official said during the presentation.

https://www.chron.com/news/article/txdot-i-10-houston-18653366.php

zs7dpLV.png

5fCK8WF.png

• Like 3

We have several projects in the area, all separately funded with different timelines. So with that being said, it looks like beside the Inner Katy METRORapid Bus project and the I-10 elevation project, we also have a project to construct (the most likely scenario) 4 elevated managed lanes from 610 to I-45.

More info here:

https://www.txdot.gov/projects/projects-studies/houston/i10-inner-katy-voss-road-to-i45.html

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

So between this, the elevated I-10, and the NHHIP, there will be continuous construction along I-10 from Voss Rd. to Waco St. over the next decade or longer. Yippee! /s

I can't say I'm surprised. Remember, there are entire generations that have been born, lived, and died without ever knowing a time when the Gulf Freeway wasn't under construction somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

So between this, the elevated I-10, and the NHHIP, there will be continuous construction along I-10 from Voss Rd. to Waco St. over the next decade or longer. Yippee! /s

**smirks smugly in bicycle**

(Look, we don't get a lot of opportunities to gloat here. Just let me have this.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2024 at 6:44 PM, hindesky said:

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is seeking feedback from residents on its proposed improvement plans along Interstate 10 from Voss Road to I-45, also known as the Inner Katy Corridor. The project includes 6.3 miles of new managed lanes and expanding the current drainage system. Managed lanes typically include HOV lanes, toll lanes and bus lanes.

In a presentation released before an in-person public meeting at TxDOT Houston headquarters Thursday evening, the agency detailed two plans. The first is four elevated managed lanes with minimal right of way needed and no residential and business displacements. The second proposes four non-elevated lanes that would displace an estimated 52 residential structures and 30 businesses. 

TxDOT said that the project aims to reduce traffic in the area, citing this segment of I-10 as the 7th most congested roadway in Texas. In 2018, the Inner Katy Corridor saw 273,450 daily vehicles. In 2023, that number grew to 292,460 daily vehicles. By 2038 the agency projects 130,000 more vehicles a day. 

Agency officials also say the project is necessary because of the importance of I-10 as a freight corridor. It's estimated that more than 60 million tons of freight use this freeway to get through Houston's center every year, according to the agency. Those goods are valued at over $130 billion annually.

"Congestion increases the cost and delivery time of commodities such as Amazon deliveries groceries and commercial goods," a TxDOT official said during the presentation.

zs7dpLV.png

5fCK8WF.png

I didn't see your post in the general thread so I've merged it with mine.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There is a group pushing to cap I-10 during the Inner Katy project. Hopefully some concessions can be pulled from TxDOT. Townhall on March 28 at 6 pm at the West End Multi-Service Center
170 Heights Blvd Houston, TX 77007.

https://nohighernowideri10.com/townhallflyer.pdf

https://nohighernowideri10.com

Petition: https://chng.it/pJQJXLRpYH

Edited by texan
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2024 at 11:45 AM, JLWM8609 said:

My entire childhood I remember the 410/10 interchange in San Antonio under construction.  When I finally drove on it, it had just finished

9 minutes ago, cspwal said:

My entire childhood I remember the 410/10 interchange in San Antonio under construction.  When I finally drove on it, it had just finished

When I went to my mothers for the Total Eclipse I started to take 1604 around to bypass IH10 through downtown. 1604 was under construction at 3 different places and traffic was backed up for miles in stop and go traffic but mostly stopped. First chance I got to turn around and get back on IH 10 I did. I then realized why I hate taking that route. There are 2 single lane exits to get off IH and get back on it. Whoever designed that part of IH 10 around the west side of downtown San Antonio should be tarred and feathered.  Then you have to decide if you want the elevated portion or the lower deck.🤬 One single lane on the main southern IH Interstate Highway system just to stay one it, one.

• Like 1