Felix Mexican Restaurant

enviromain

According to the entry for Felix Tijerina in the Handbook of Texas the chain was started ca. 1937 (Robb Walsh says 'in Montrose close to River Oaks") and once had locations throughout SE Texas. I believe I've read somewhere the one on Westheimer @ Stanford dates to 1948; it is the last of the chain. If there are restaurants by that name in SA, it's a different company.

I just looked on a website called Openlist.Com. It lists only one Felix in Houston on 904 Westheimer Road (Montrose Boulevard).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just looked on a website called Openlist.Com. It lists only one Felix in Houston on 904 Westheimer Road (Montrose Boulevard).

Now I know exactly what happened to the Felix's in Beaumont. There's a letter someone wrote in today's Beaumont Enterprise. It closed down and it became another Mexican restaurant called "Three Amigos." "Three Amigos" was recently demolished. Now I guess you can conclude that the Felix in Houston is literally the only one left standing (unless there are remnants of the other ones).

Now I guess you can conclude that the Felix in Houston is literally the only one left standing (unless there are remnants of the other ones).

The one I mentioned (Telephone/Dumble) building is still there but has been remodeled so badly you can hardly tell what it was. Now a blasted (number 5,897th) taqueria in the city is there. Marvin Z has closed down again and again.

And now for the big, big, big, big S ... All together gang! Sliiiiiimmmme .......

The one I mentioned (Telephone/Dumble) building is still there but has been remodeled so badly you can hardly tell what it was. Now a blasted (number 5,897th) taqueria in the city is there. Marvin Z has closed down again and again.

And now for the big, big, big, big S ... All together gang! Sliiiiiimmmme .......

Well, when one business chain folds, another replaces it. Most likely there is at least one other chain of Mexican restaurants there in Houston that many people rave about just the way people did many years ago over Felix. I've noticed that about a lot of other chains. I remember stopping at those interstate snack and gas stops called "Stuckey's." Now there's only a handful of those remaining. I think that "Cracker Barrel" has replaced them. And I also think that "Waffle House" has replaced both "Denny's" and "Sambo's."

felixmb.jpgfelix01mb.jpg

the Bissonnet location is still there. it is now a Brisket House BBQ, but longtime Bellaire residents can still imagine the original Felix's design as the building is a trapezoid shape.

my parents were regulars in the 40s and their names are in the 1947 guest book the night before I was born. so like a crack baby I was born with an addiction to Felix's chile con queso that I still can't shake. as a little kid, Miss Janie and the impeccable hostess Miss Geneva were like another set of aunts to me.

and to address a post at the top of this thread, originally the Bellaire Blvd/Bissonnet intersection really was a traffic circle. the Mobil station mentioned above was a Magnolia station, on the other side of Wagners Hardware was a Gulf station, and across the street at the tip of the "Triangle" was a Humble (Exxon) station. there was always summer work available for teenagers at these stations. Bellaire was a 2 lane past the circle out through farmland to Alief and Clodine, and Bissonnet was 2 lane from Montrose to Chimney Rock where it became Old Richmond Road to Sugar Land where it joined 90A.

felixmb.jpgfelix01mb.jpg

Yes, the Felix here in Beaumont that I told you about was on Calder Avenue. It was almost directly across the street from one of the Pig Stand chain restaurants here (I think there were three). I read an article a few months ago that Pig Stand was a popular Texas chain. The article said that most of the restaurant have closed down because the chain was having financial problems.

Maybe someone can start a topic/discussion on Pig Stands.

• 11 months later...
86291.jpg

6388809_2686e73f97_m.jpg

Ok getting hungry (this time of day) and just the photo of this place is making me hungrier. Has anyone at all had lunch or dinner here lately?

Wonder how many people proposed marriage there and what kind of functions they allow the public to have there? Some of these restuarants would let you rent out the banquet areas. Seems like a rarity these days.

I really need to scan my pics of the interior but they are only from 1972. Hungry. :blink:

I'm 40 now. My grandma lived in West U near Kirby and Felix's. I grew up going to Felix's with Grandma. My family and relatives ate there with my grandma. My parents also took my brother and I to the Felix's on Bissonnet and Beachnut. I'm third generation and my 15 year old son is 4th G. He was eating Felix's guacamole before he cut teeth.

The chili con queso is the best in the entire world! And the cheese enchiladas are to die for. The original is still open; however the others are long gone.

I live in San Antonio now, but nothing compares to the food at Felix's. They have talked about closing it before. We cannot let this legend die. When I am in Houston, I have to stock up on queso.

There's more about Felix: he basically started the "Head Start" program that exists for youngsters now.

Spark a memory?

I turned 50 last month. I wish we could go back to the "good ol' days" of Felix and Monterey House.

• 3 weeks later...
According to this, Felix has CLOSED!! :(

That was great how they posted that explanation poster at the window. I was not aware either. Wont be surprised if they bulldoze soon.

The only picture I have ever seen of the original owner (Felix Tijerina)still is displayed at Crespo Funeral Home on Navigation. Right in the lobby.

More Houston history vanishing. At this rate seems almost every reminder of the cities beginnings will be wiped off the face of the earth. Nothing is sacred not even houses of worship! Egad!

and more depressing news, yesterday as I exited to Binz off 288 south they are wiping out MANY of those beautiful huge 2-3 story homes on or near Almeda. Very depressing. It really is beginning to NOT LOOK like Houston but another city. Shuhhh. :(

I think I remember seeing Felix Mexican Restaurant billboard along the freeway back in the early 1960s. Does it go back that far? Was it a chain like Monterey House or El Chico was?

Felix's was certainly around in the early 1960's. My father owned a business on Bissonet, near Kirby. It was not uncommon for us to get take out dinners at the nearby Felix's - my first introduction to Mexican food, I think. I seem to recall that there was more than one Felix location even in those days; this would have been between roughly 1960 and 1965. To the best of my memory, Felix's was family owned. I sincerely hope that they're not closing - or have not already closed - their doors.

A wonderful memory from a too long ago childhood and a great old Houston landmark as well.

• 2 weeks later...

It's sad to hear that the restaurant has closed, but that's not too surprising -- the main problem was that the menu hasn't kept up with the times. I will say that it's cool, from a historical viewpoint, to see what early Tex-Mex food tasted like. But the problem is, most of their dishes were relatively bland compared to many current Tex-Mex restaurants. The last time I ate there (a few months ago) their salsa wasn't exactly the best, since it seemed to be made with a lot of onion powder -- had it always been that way?

Anyhow, I will miss their chile relleno, as it is different than what you see in many restaurants -- it was stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, nuts and raisins.

It's sad to hear that the restaurant has closed, but that's not too surprising -- the main problem was that the menu hasn't kept up with the times. I will say that it's cool, from a historical viewpoint, to see what early Tex-Mex food tasted like. But the problem is, most of their dishes were relatively bland compared to many current Tex-Mex restaurants. The last time I ate there (a few months ago) their salsa wasn't exactly the best, since it seemed to be made with a lot of onion powder -- had it always been that way?

Anyhow, I will miss their chile relleno, as it is different than what you see in many restaurants -- it was stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, nuts and raisins.

It is pretty hard for a restaurant NOT to make it in that area. I have never (at least, I don't recall) been inside, but I've always heard good things about it. It could be possible that it was simply bad management or poor service. THAT will kill a place quickly.

I was referring to Westheimer/Montrose.

Of course, that hasn't helped that place over Between the stop and rob and the laundry cleaners. Then again, being a sexual predator didn't help that German restaurant. Best of luck to that new Cajun place.

I was referring to Westheimer/Montrose.

Of course, that hasn't helped that place over Between the stop and rob and the laundry cleaners. Then again, being a sexual predator didn't help that German restaurant. Best of luck to that new Cajun place.

yeah too much "street" action.

I don't know about the billboards, but I'm sure it was possible. And yes, there were quite a few Felix's in various locations during the 70's and 80's to my knowledge. The last one that closed was on Kirby. The one before that was on Bellaire and Bissonnet.

I could not get my Dad to register here, but after reading the blogs he emailed me the following:

Felix's that we used to go to in Bellaire was at what we used to call the "circle". There was actually no circle, but it was where Bissonnet and Bellaire Blvd intersected. (I believe that the intersection of Bissonnet and Beechnut was where the Baskin Robbins ice cream store was.) When I was in high school, I worked at a Mobil gas station at the circle. It was next door (East) to a Wagner's hardware store and across the street (West) from a bank with all glass walls - inside and outside. You could watch traffic on the other side of the building. To the north, across Bissonnet, there was a Toddle House that had the best black bottom pie anywhere.

I don't know if this is the Felix Restaurant you're talking about:

post-5880-1208202656_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
According to this, Felix has CLOSED!! :(

Saw it the other day. Looks pretty dead. snap your pics now before it vanishes into that great Hacienda in the sky! -_-

Wonder if furnishings were auctioned off? More Houston history bites the dust.

Saw it the other day. Looks pretty dead. snap your pics now before it vanishes into that great Hacienda in the sky! -_-

Wonder if furnishings were auctioned off? More Houston history bites the dust.

i know them...are you interested in something from there?...I wish there was something we could do....

i know them...are you interested in something from there?...I wish there was something we could do....

Guess I should PM you. I wonder if anyone person or persons has saved historical photos of for example Felix grand opening and events at this location? and other locals in the city? There was a fire in that office a few years ago so I hope they didnt store any important documents like that there? I have interior pics of another Felix but they are only from around 1972. It would be great to excavate older ones from past banquets and stuff. I wonder if they have staff photos for this local? I had 2 uncles that worked there as teens in the early 60's just curious if they could be in a pic.

I wish I could have the whole building lifted and brought to my property. Ja...dreaming I know. :)

FELIX'S IS CLOSED!! :o

Where's the joke in this? Somebody tell me.

Felix's can't close down........ Man, I have so many memories from here. I damn near grew up here.

This was the first, and still some of the best Mexican food I ever had. No mater what the current trend was in Mexican food, Felix's never changed in the slightest. The menu, the decor, hell even the wait staff hadn't changed since I was in diapers.

Next thing somebody's going to tell me, is that they closed down Larry's!

• 1 month later...

So...what is the family's plan? Are they sitting on the property...or plan to sell or lease? Could the current structure be remodeled, or do the improvements required prove uneconomical? It looks per HCAD that they own the eastern half of the block.

So...what is the family's plan? Are they sitting on the property...or plan to sell or lease? Could the current structure be remodeled, or do the improvements required prove uneconomical? It looks per HCAD that they own the eastern half of the block.

Here's a depressing thought but very realistic. Don't be surprised if you go by and it's already been bulldozed.

Houston new ICON/MASCOT should be a bulldozer. We keep plowing down all of our history. :angry:

Here's a depressing thought but very realistic. Don't be surprised if you go by and it's already been bulldozed.

Houston new ICON/MASCOT should be a bulldozer. We keep plowing down all of our history. :angry:

Growing up, I ate at Felix's a ton with my family at the location on Kirby...particularly after church on Sundays. We always had the same waiter.

After it closed, I visited the location on Westheimer and always ran into that old waiter. His name is Carlos.

Well, a couple of weeks back I ran into Carlos...he's now working at the Cadillac Bar & Grill on Shepherd/Durham at I-10.

I miss Felix's already. Took my family down to the Miller Outdoor Theater and thought how great it would be to share a Felix's dinner with my kids....but it is no more. Sad.

It is pretty hard for a restaurant NOT to make it in that area. I have never (at least, I don't recall) been inside, but I've always heard good things about it. It could be possible that it was simply bad management or poor service. THAT will kill a place quickly.

Actually, the service was usually pretty good, so that wasn't the problem. As for bad management, that's a possbility. However, as I've mentioned before, the menu didn't keep up with the times, and everytime I visited the restaurant, most of the cusotmers there would have qualified for senior citzen discounts. At times, I was practically the youngest cusotmer there, and I'm in my early 40's. It wasn't exactly drawing in younger customers, which you'd need to keep the business going, since your old customers would stop coming due to, well, natural reasons. Maybe retro Tex-Mex isn't all that appealing to people under the age of 50. Who knows?

It had started declining when the Westheimer location was the only one left but when "Mrs. Felix" died and the son took over it went downhill quick, it got more dingy and run down inside and the food quality began to fall off. My parents and grandparents had been going there since the 50's, whether on Kirby or Bissonet or Westheimer.

Archived