Lazy, Good For Nothings...

rippedoff

Stopped at a store today and saw a B***h and her young son pull into a handicapped parking space.

Nothing wrong with either one of them. No sticker. She had a red car and a U of H sticker.

My family member informed the store manager of this and they paged her several times. She ignored the page. Whe she came out of the store, family member addressed the issue and she ( woman in red car) started screaming and using profanity. Said we weren't the police and a few choice words after that. Got her license plate # and was going to call the radio station about that Monday morning. In the meanwhile an elderly, handicapped woman who could not find a space (because the red car was in it) had to park quite a distance and walk (which she could barely do) in the cold weather.

How dispicable and damn lazy of people to do such a thing; great role model as a mother for that kid.

Why is there no law regarding this? As the aunt of a disabled boy who cannot walk I find that behavior repulsive. :angry2:

That is really sorry of her. It frustrates me now more that my uncle is disabled. I heard there is some new program (class) that ordinary citizens can take to combat people like that. I really can't remember the details such as how long it is or what office/agency to go through. But after the class citizens can write out real parking tickets to offenders and stick it to them where it hurts. If some one knows more let us know. I'll try to do a bit of research.

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

I heard there is some new program (class) that ordinary citizens can take to combat people like that.

There was a segment on the local news regarding this program in the past week or so (sorry, I don't recall which channel.) Some of the volunteers and Mayor White were interviewed; I think the operators at 311 can connect interested parties to the correct department.

I applaud this program, and hope that it can be expanded. Perhaps the thoughtless people who block sidewalks with their cars can be ticketed by civilian volunteers as well.

There was a segment on the local news regarding this program in the past week or so (sorry, I don't recall which channel.) Some of the volunteers and Mayor White were interviewed; I think the operators at 311 can connect interested parties to the correct department.

I applaud this program, and hope that it can be expanded. Perhaps the thoughtless people who block sidewalks with their cars can be ticketed by civilian volunteers as well.

HPD is very undermanned which makes things like this very low priority, despite Mayor White's mandates, so a citizen program is a decent idea, until violence occurs between citizens, then the whole idea will be scrapped. I recently had 2 guys angrily approach me because I lifted their bandit signs for their tax service from the city right of way. No violence but a little intense.

Cars on the sidewalks are a problem here on the East End, and you can call 311 and it will take a week to get someone out there. If they're connecting people to HPD dispatch then that's good.

As for the whole handicapped parking thing; sure there are people out there that really deserve those spots but I don't remember the last time I actually saw someone with one of those stickers get out of their car and look even the slightest bit handicapped, unless hugely obese counts. It seems to be yet another well-intentioned idea that has been abused by the usual suspects who are always looking for ways to cheat.

Stopped at a store today and saw a B***h and her young son pull into a handicapped parking space.

Nothing wrong with either one of them. No sticker. She had a red car and a U of H sticker.

My family member informed the store manager of this and they paged her several times. She ignored the page. Whe she came out of the store, family member addressed the issue and she ( woman in red car) started screaming and using profanity. Said we weren't the police and a few choice words after that. Got her license plate # and was going to call the radio station about that Monday morning. In the meanwhile an elderly, handicapped woman who could not find a space (because the red car was in it) had to park quite a distance and walk (which she could barely do) in the cold weather.

How dispicable and damn lazy of people to do such a thing; great role model as a mother for that kid.

Why is there no law regarding this? As the aunt of a disabled boy who cannot walk I find that behavior repulsive. :angry2:

Always carry a camera.

There you should take photographs. Send them to Houston TV and radio stations. You will kill her reputation quickly :)

That whole story pisses me off royally. No clickable smile can display my rage on that one. That B1+<h needz Dr. Phil.

I thought you could get a ticket if caught illegally parking in a handicapped spot.

When I was in high school I had an old beater car and a blind friend. Any time we went somewhere and there was some jerkass taking up the handicapped space, I'd park the guy in and my friend would call the police.

I can't stand when people pull up past the solid white line at intersections. All too often around the uptown area I have to watch people walk out into the intersection, or behind and around vehicles just to cross the street.

I have been known to kick cars that do this. Only once did someone get out and try to find me, but by then I'd already ducked into the tunnels.

I have been known to kick cars that do this. Only once did someone get out and try to find me, but by then I'd already ducked into the tunnels.

When jogging, I'll regually run right up to the driver window and stop. I'll stand there and stare at them until they move. Most are on their cell phones however and never even notice me standing there. It could be the old "tune anyone outside of your vehicle out as they are probably just another homeless begger" syndrome!

i've also noticed many people who have disabled tags who appear quite physically capable, in some cases even rather young.

Something like people on disability playing golf, picking up packages etc.

Well, cameras in the cars are in place and will be calling the city tomorrow to find out about the volunteer program.

AND, while we're at it how 'bout this city making the brilliant decision to close off all the handicapped spaces within a few mile radius around the "Hotel Of Gods" this week. There almost seems to be an irony there.

"And so it goes..."

When you see someone parked that way, and you can't be seen, would it be wrong to let the air out of one of their tires? It just crossed my mind. :ph34r: Of course, that would be at cross-purposes to freeing up the space for someone who was really handicapped.

Just use a valve stem remover.

This was taken from a certain cookbook.. "Using a valvestem remover, a pencil top eraser, and some super-glue.. ..after one good bump in the road they will find themselves with an almost immediate flat tire.."

I'll leave the rest of the details to one's imagination, as I don't want to criminally influence anyone here.

i've also noticed many people who have disabled tags who appear quite physically capable, in some cases even rather young.
These people should be made to walk on crutches or use a wheelchair if they want to find out what handicap people have to deal with.....then they can park in the spot !!

Definition of Disability

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504 - "Handicapped" if he or she:

Has a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more of such person's major life activities;

Has a record of such impairment; or

Is regarded as having such impairment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please keep in mind not every disability is an obvious, visible one.

My husband was given a temporary handicapped parking permit a few years ago due to a lung collapse, subsequent surgery and 12 weeks of physical therapy. He rarely used it, but on those first few weeks out of the hospital and trying to get back to normal, it was a godsend.

I am a total freak about those who don't have a placard to hang or a license plate. I have actually said, "Do you know you just parked in a handicapped spot?" Because sometimes people don't see it. I did have one guy flip me off, that was cute. Very charming. :lol:

Edited by Parrothead

btw, I notice that Kroger has added a space next to the handicapped spots with a sign saying "Expectant Mom's" [sic]

Do we take a woman's word for it that she's expectant, or is she required to furnish a urine sample prior to parking there?

btw, I notice that Kroger has added a space next to the handicapped spots with a sign saying "Expectant Mom's" [sic]

Do we take a woman's word for it that she's expectant, or is she required to furnish a urine sample prior to parking there?

Didn't you see the little white box under the sign - it contains EPTs !!! :D

When you see someone parked that way, and you can't be seen, would it be wrong to let the air out of one of their tires? It just crossed my mind. :ph34r: Of course, that would be at cross-purposes to freeing up the space for someone who was really handicapped.

That might be a little harsh, but a nice squirt of clear honey or dish washing soap, which I keep in my car for some strange reason, on the drivers side door handle might be ok. :blush:

That might be a little harsh, but a nice squirt of clear honey or dish washing soap, which I keep in my car for some strange reason, on the drivers side door handle might be ok. :blush:

horrible! horrible! think i'll get some cheap dish fluid at the $1 store...

it is up to the actual property owner whether these folks get ticketed right?

if you did photograph an able bodied person w/o a permit doing this where

would you send it? and would it still fall on the property owner whether to

ticket?

i recently saw a business try to tow a hummer which was parked in their

loading doc and blocking their deliveries. they had paged for a good

amount of time and the car owner/shopper had not responded. they had

ticketed the vehicle but alas, were unable to tow it.

when the "individual" returned they said they were unable to normally park

in the lot or street due to the size of their car. you'd think that would tell

them something...

it is up to the actual property owner whether these folks get ticketed right?

if you did photograph an able bodied person w/o a permit doing this where

would you send it? and would it still fall on the property owner whether to

ticket?

No. City ordinance applies to private lots for public use. Call the parking division oe police dept. Tell them you will swear an affidavit and appear in court, if necessary. They may or may not listen. They'll probably tell you to volunteer.

An easier way might be to leave notes on windshields that won't cause damage, but will really piss the driver off. In the future, they may have a conscience.

BTW, notes without profane language have the best effect. Doesn't give the driver anything to delicate flower about.

Didn't you see the little white box under the sign - it contains EPTs !!! :D

LOL! Actually, a friend of mine was expecting and just pulled in to the space (at the Randall's on Westheimer at Shepherd). The cart guy told her she needed a tag. You have to apply for an expectant mother tag at the service desk. I would assume you have to show some kind of proof. :)

AND... you know what really chaps my ass: the fact that people don't pull over and stop when an emergency vehicle is coming down the street with lights/sirens on!! GAWD! I see it almost daily. In fact, I have even seen some people speed up and try to race the freaking ambulance through the intersection.

Everytime I see this, I think "Next time I hope it's your house that's on fire or your father having an irregular heartbeat." I know that sounds so mean and is probably gonna get me some bad, bad karma, but s**t, people. There is a reason those vehicles have sirens and the right of way!!!

Edited by heights_yankee

LOL! Actually, a friend of mine was expecting and just pulled in to the space (at the Randall's on Westheimer at Shepherd). The cart guy told her she needed a tag. You have to apply for an expectant mother tag at the service desk. I would assume you have to show some kind of proof. :)

AND... you know what really chaps my ass: the fact that people don't pull over and stop when an emergency vehicle is coming down the street with lights/sirens on!! GAWD! I see it almost daily. In fact, I have even seen some people speed up and try to race the freaking ambulance through the intersection.

Everytime I see this, I think "Next time I hope it's your house that's on fire or your father having an irregular heartbeat." I know that sounds so mean and is probably gonna get me some bad, bad karma, but s**t, people. There is a reason those vehicles have sirens and the right of way!!!

l Just found out the city allows for hanicapped parking to be covered up for special events. Let's see, there are Limos for ATHLETES to go across the street from their hotels but people who are truly handicapped, if the lots are full, have to take a wheelchair or walk with crutches over cracked sidwalks or go in the street with traffic. There is some kind of irony there.

The whole handi capped parking is a joke. It was intended for people in wheelchairs and scooters to park and have enough space to open their doors wide enough to get their chairs out. But since they put it near the door, now evey Tom Dick and Harry with a "handicap" wants it so they don't have to walk far. This is not what it was intended for. If you have asthma, why should you get a handicapped parking space? Will you not be walking around inside the store? What is really sad is that I've actually seen real handicapped people in wheelchairs have to park in a regular space because of all the, usually fat people that get a handicapped tag for being diabetic take all the available spaces.

They should revert it back to what it really was intended for. Wheelchair accessiblility.

The Houston Business Journal says that since 1995, citizens can isue citations for abuse of disabled parking spaces. Volunteer parking enforcement officers are required to attend a city-sponosred training program before they can issue tickets. I didn't know this.

• 2 months later...
The Houston Business Journal says that since 1995, citizens can isue citations for abuse of disabled parking spaces. Volunteer parking enforcement officers are required to attend a city-sponosred training program before they can issue tickets. I didn't know this.

Found this on city of Houston Parking Management site

Those interested in joining the program may request an electronic application by e-mailing volunteer@cityofhouston.net or by calling 713.853.8271 to receive one by fax or mail

Happy Ticketing :)

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq