Retail At 3400 White Oak Dr.

s3mh

16 hours ago, s3mh said:

Looks like it sold recently.  A crew was doing a pretty thorough interior demo this morning.  No idea what is going in, but would assume they are keeping the structure in place to take advantage of the setbacks (or lack thereof).

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3400-White-Oak-Dr-Houston-TX/26494761/

Get out of my head! I was going to post this yesterday, but didn't have the time. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, s3mh said:

A crew was doing a pretty thorough interior demo this morning.  No idea what is going in, but would assume they are keeping the structure in place to take advantage of the setbacks (or lack thereof).

Below is the project description for 3400 White Oak Dr. It was submitted to the city of Houston a few months ago.

The owner sought a certificate of appropriateness from the Houston Archaeological & Historical Commission. Their request was approved in December.

• Property:  3400 White Oak Dr, Lots 11 & 12, Block 279, Houston Heights Neighborhood Subdivision.

The property includes a historic 9,640 square foot, two-story brick veneer commercial situated on a 13,198 square foot (132' x 100') corner lot. 

• Significance: Contributing Storefront brick commercial, constructed circa 1930, located in the Houston Heights South Historic District.

• Proposal:

• Alteration
      • To remove non-historic brick on south elevation facing White Oak Drive.

• Install doors and windows on east elevation facing Arlington Street where there are existing doors and filled-in openings.

•  Replace existing doors on East elevation with glass doors. Door openings to remain unchanged.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

More about the renovations for 3400 White Oak Dr.

The below details were submitted to the city of Houston a few months ago. 
The owner sought a certificate of appropriateness from the Houston Archaeological & Historical Commission. Their request was approved in December.

• The building located at 3400 White Oak Drive is in the Heights South Historic District and is a contributing structure to the historical content of the neighborhood. The current owner, a printing and laminating operation, selling to our client and will be relocating. Our client, is wanting to renovate the building and renovate it for a neighborhood destination usage consistent with the ongoing White Oak Drive development. Please review and consider the following:

-    The building, listed for its historic storefront and brick elevations, has been renovated and only the east façade can be considered historic. 

-    The current south elevation, also of brick, was renovated in the 70’s and the current brick façade is NOT the historic brick from the original building. 

-    Therefore, the COA Application that is being submitted is to remove the NON-HISTORIC brick from the south façade. 

-    By complete accident however, during a recent site visit I discovered portions of the original façade storefront and brick that were not removed when the building was re-faced in the earlier renovation.  

-    For this reason, we would like to consider renovating and saving those portions of the original façade which still exist inside the perimeter façade construction. The extent of original historic material is unknown and therefore removal of the most recent material is essential to designing the renovation. This is the critical element of the COA Application.

-    To facilitate this SCOPE, we have requested a meeting with HAHC staff on Tuesday, November 15th, to inspect the storefront and, as best as possible, evaluate the portions of the original storefront visible from the existing interior loading dock. 

-    The completion of the demolition would then inform the design decisions for the building rehabilitation. 

-    Issues of parking, use and other modifications would be determined and submitted for an additional COA for the improvements and COH permits separately.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

I think the new owners are or either tied to Bazbaz Development.

Seems like a pretty unusual venture for them, based on their portfolio on their website, but I'm not mad about it at all. Coincidentally, I had a friend who lived at 25 Bond and it was really swanky and nice. Hopefully these guys have something ambitious planned because the rest of their portfolio seems really high-end. I feel like this could be a great addition to the neighborhood

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 3400 White Oak Blvd.
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bookey23 said:

I was talking to the owner of Padre's and he said that he thinks this is being converted into a restaurant.

That would be good.   It's interesting...the picture of the building on March 1st with the red brick facade looks better than how the building looks today.  🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, emmanume said:

Yeah I heard just a couple of days ago that it’s another restaurant by Agricole Hospitality, the restaurant group behind Coltivare, EZ Liquor Lounge, and Eight Row Flint 

Neat! I'm surprised you didn't post about it on NextDoor like many of the other Heights developments you're posted there recently.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, h8s said:

I took this photo of the east façade this afternoon. I can’t read the name of the pharmacy. Does anyone know the name and when this pharmacy closed?

IMG_1043.jpeg

I see the imprint “WHITE OAK PHARMACY” but there is no record (that I could find) of a pharmacy existing here.  It is, however, a historical building so who knows.

What’s interesting is there was a Balfanz Pharmacy just a block over at the corner of Harvard and White Oak.  
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/2011/10/at-balfanz-pharmacy.html

7 hours ago, h8s said:

Ok so Belfanz Pharmacy became White Oak Pharmacy.  Could they have moved the Pharmacy over a block?  Or that sign might have said White Oak Pharmacy up ahead?

This site has some interesting pictures of the building:

https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/hahc_2022/B08_HAHC_3400_White_Oak_Alteration_Final.pdf

• Like 1

• The title was changed to White Oak Pharmacy At 3400 White Oak Blvd.

VxNNPl5.jpg

Once again, a certain mod (H.T.) took it upon himself to change the title of a topic that didn't need changing. In fact, I noticed this mod had a field day this week and the last week of September unnecessarily changing topic titles in this forum and the Montrose forum.

The title was previously 3400 White Oak Dr; however, as ALWAYS this mod changed the title to White Oak Pharmacy At 3400 White Oak Dr. And this wasn't the first time the title of this topic has been changed. Since it's creation, the title has been changed THREE times in SEVEN  MONTHS. It makes no sense. These unnecessary and constant modifications have been an issue since this person because a moderator in 2019. None of the other moderators edits our titles and topics like this mod does. And there are other very active members who have shared privately they too don't care for this moderator's constant edits to topics we create for this forum. 

Yes, the building was previously home to White Oak Pharmacy DECADES ago, but not anymore. In fact, the building ISN'T even named White Oak Pharmacy. Even the current owner / developer is not dubbing this building as White Oak Pharmacy. Instead, it's listed and marketed as 3400 White Oak Dr only.

Perhaps this moderator can create a topic for White Oak Pharmacy in the Historic Houston forum.

@Triton @Urbannizer please edit this title and change it back to 3400 White Oak Dr

Thanks.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1