Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So, I live very close to where all the fires originally began, and since about the 8th or 9th fire I have really seen an increased police presence...which I might say I appreciate since I seldom saw police before. In the evening I can sit on the front porch and I bet no less than 3 cars will drive by in a 2 hour window...its really a very high profile partrol they are conducting right now. I am even awoken a few times a night by the lights from the cruisers pointed into windows as they patrol the streets...first couple times I thought it might be a robber, but after jumping up to look out the window and it being a cop every time I am alot less anxious about lights being pointed at the house at that certain elevation their light bar illuminates.

Anyway, as much as I appreciate the presence, there needs to be common sense on their behalf too. I got up early to get to work early today (4:25am) and I pull off of my street, onto 11th towards yale, and there is a cop near Yale on 11th coming the opposite direction. I am not speeding at all, and as soon as he whips around in a circle, I know he is about to pull me over...for what I dont know yet... anyway, I turn onto Yale, and sure enough, lights come on...I put my blinker on to move over and let him by, just thinking its worth a try, and he somehow in his simple little mind decides thats running, b/c at that point he turns on his siren (were talking about 30 feet since the lights came on)..not a beep beep siren, but the full blown thing. I already know where this one is headed.

I pull onto the first cross street off Yale and pull over. He comes up and is clearly a pissy little dude. (small man power complex + Cop is always bad) He asks for license and registration and glances at them without reading anything, and says what are you doing in this area at this time? I said I live here, and I am leaving for work. He scoffs, where do you live? I tell him...he says hold on...goes to his car for 10 minutes (ridiculous long time)...comes stomping back to my big ole truck...how many times have you been arrested son? I look at him...he is maybe 6 years older than me...none I reply...you mean to tell me youve never been arrested? Nope - never. In your whole life? NO - once when I was 16 I got a MIP, but thats it...He gets all cocky....so you have been arrested? NOPE - I reply its a misdemeanor...I was ticketed and released. I guess that pissed him off too b/c he stomps back to his car again... (5 more minutes pass)

He stomps back and hands me my license and insurance, and says he needs to search the vehicle! I say are you looking for anything in particular? He replies, can I search it or not? Im like sure do what you want (avoiding a ride downtown now) but there is nothing in it...he opens my back doors, and my front shines his light around for a bit nothing to be found.....closes my doors and then asks me what do you do? I reply I am an engineer and attorney, and practice for a private company...now, I guess b/c I am an attorney the tone changes a little...he gets a bit nicer to me, but not much (since he has already pulled me over for nothing and searched my truck for no reason)...He then asks me for my phone numbers....I cant even imagine why he needs my phone numbers at this point, but he still seems like he is intent on arresting me for something so I give them to him...back to his car he goes...5 more minutes pass, and he comes back and hands me back my license.

I am assuming the interrogation is over, everything I have said is true, and I have a reason to be where I am at the hour I am there...so I ask him why he pulled me over? His answer immediately, for making my right turn too WIDE...I say too wide? He says, when you turned, you turned from the right lane, and you turned into the left lane of Yale....Now I dont know if that is illegal or not, but I drive a very large truck. It is physically impossible to make the turn from right lane to right lane without hitting a curb, especially at Yale where it is perfect corners and not rounded off ones...I tell him this....I guess he didnt like that, b/c its back to the car. About 2 minutes later he comes back, and tells me the OTHER reason he pulled me over is my trailer hitch is obstructing my license plate a little bit (true)...I thank him for lettin me know and he lets me off..

Im ranting, but as much as I appreciate the police keepin an eye on things, I am a clean cut, well dressed person in a nice truck 2 blocks from my house heading towards the highway. It was obvious I was not the arsoninst...this cop just really really wanted to have caught the arsonist and be a hero. It was quite a bit overboard. Its the longest I have ever been stopped, and all b/c he was just dying to be a hero. Long story short...comon HPD lets use our resources a bit more efficiently. 100% of my info checked out immediately, license has home address, insurance has home address, and I am a block from home. Lets use some common sense and not harass people on their way to work.

• Like 2

One of the things I have heard during the recent events is that serial arsonists are frequently young, white males. You just got profiled - DWW.

It is techncially illegal to make a wide right turn, however it is legal to make a left turn into either lane. (HPD occasionally affords me the opportunity to refresh my knowledge of driving rules).

One of the things I have heard during the recent events is that serial arsonists are frequently young, white males. You just got profiled - DWW.

It is techncially illegal to make a wide right turn, however it is legal to make a left turn into either lane. (HPD occasionally affords me the opportunity to refresh my knowledge of driving rules).

If it is illegal to make a wide right turn, is also illegal to run over the curb? I can promise you a Ford F-250 can not make the turn from 11th onto Yale towards I-10 without turning into the Left Lane, or devouring 2 or more feet of curb.

Profiled! Wow - I feel so violated! hehe - j/j - I actually would not mind so much getting pulled over, its a good way to catch an arsonist, or a drunk, or anything else...but after about 2 minutes this guy could have figured it out...he didnt...he needed 25 minutes to do it. I would have loved to have that 25 minutes of sleep back.

What a jackass. What was the officers name?

You know, I didnt pay a bit of attention to his name...I know I should do that, but I always forget to. He was a short hispanic guy, about 34 or so with short black hair. (really narrows it down I know) I am always petrified that a cop is going to take my smallest actions and blow them out of proportion as a reason to arrest me. I just try to be polite and keep my hands on the steering wheel where he can see them. Ive seen too many people arrested for nothing...they always get off, but they still get to take the ride and pay $500 or more to get their car back.

Definitely should have gotten a name, badge number, cruiser number, and so on. Unfortunately, though, I have heard many (and experienced) scenarios like yours - not so uncommon.

Sorry you got harassed - what a pain, and over something so trivial. And I can't believe he wanted to search your vehicle!

Sounds like you did the right thing, though - remaining calm and not "provoking" him (he sounded easily excitable from your description).

We're only hearing one side of the story -- and I can guarantee you that it would not match the officer's version of the events. Of course the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the two stories. I find it amazing that you start by saying that you're glad for the police presence, but then you object to the tactics they are using to try to catch the arsonist that is burning down our neighborhood. The Supreme Court has always allowed for some "inconvenience" to "innocent" people via temporary detention in the course of law enforcement. And you admitted that you turned wide (it's not the officer's fault you drive a vehicle so large that you cannot safely navigate the turn without breaking the law) and that you have something obstructing your license plate.

You already realized you were going to get pulled over, and you probably knew it had to do with the arson enforcement. You knew you're not the arsonist, but the cop doesn't know that. Why not just be nice and not try to argue about the meaning of "have you ever been arrested"? If you want to get technical, you WERE ARRESTED on that MIP case -- you were released from that arrest on a promise to appear in court, but you WERE ARRESTED.

By the way -- if you had been arrested or gotten a ticket this morning, you'd have gotten a nice piece of paper that had the officer's name on it and then you could have gone like so many other crybabies down to internal affairs to complain about the officer doing his job. And people wonder why officers don't want to work anymore!

• Like 4

You know, I didnt pay a bit of attention to his name...I know I should do that, but I always forget to. He was a short hispanic guy, about 34 or so with short black hair. (really narrows it down I know) I am always petrified that a cop is going to take my smallest actions and blow them out of proportion as a reason to arrest me. I just try to be polite and keep my hands on the steering wheel where he can see them. Ive seen too many people arrested for nothing...they always get off, but they still get to take the ride and pay $500 or more to get their car back.

You don't need his name or any information. Just call the number listed here tell them exactly when and where you were, and they will be able to track down the officer.

Until this type of behavior is reported, it is destined to be continued. They work for you, not the other way around.

Edited by Jeebus
  • Like 2

If you supsect harassment... Don't talk to the cops. Say as little as possible, and ask frequently if you are free to go. (maintain a polite tone of course). The reason for the long delays, questions, etc. is to get you to say something they can use against you. Also don't be surprised if he wrote your name down, and googled you. He might even read this very thread (if your name can be tracked to this website). This happened to someone i know (the officer wrote down the name of a car club he was in from a sticker on his window and used information from his posts at the car clubs website in court.)

• Like 1

He was a short hispanic guy, about 34 or so with short black hair. (really narrows it down I know)

Hahaha! You've just described half the cops employed by HPD.

I get the reasoning behind loading up cops in the Heights right now, but I'm adamantly opposed to police power manipulation, which it sounds like you were the victim of last night. Considering your license and insurance addresses matched, you had a valid reason for being on the road and no warrants hit when your DL was run, you shouldn't have been subjected to the fifth degree. That cop overreached. That said, that cop would have been crucified in the press if it was later discovered he let the arsonist go without realizing he had the arsonist. Considering the fire thread mentioned the fires are mostly happening late Thursday or early Friday, I can understand why the cop went overboard on this particular morning. I don't like it one bit, but I understand.

We're only hearing one side of the story -- and I can guarantee you that it would not match the officer's version of the events. Of course the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the two stories. I find it amazing that you start by saying that you're glad for the police presence, but then you object to the tactics they are using to try to catch the arsonist that is burning down our neighborhood. The Supreme Court has always allowed for some "inconvenience" to "innocent" people via temporary detention in the course of law enforcement. And you admitted that you turned wide (it's not the officer's fault you drive a vehicle so large that you cannot safely navigate the turn without breaking the law) and that you have something obstructing your license plate.

You already realized you were going to get pulled over, and you probably knew it had to do with the arson enforcement. You knew you're not the arsonist, but the cop doesn't know that. Why not just be nice and not try to argue about the meaning of "have you ever been arrested"? If you want to get technical, you WERE ARRESTED on that MIP case -- you were released from that arrest on a promise to appear in court, but you WERE ARRESTED.

By the way -- if you had been arrested or gotten a ticket this morning, you'd have gotten a nice piece of paper that had the officer's name on it and then you could have gone like so many other crybabies down to internal affairs to complain about the officer doing his job. And people wonder why officers don't want to work anymore!

Ok hit a nerve here with what my guess is a cop....But actually - no - the events went pretty much exactly the way I said they did. I did not have to embellish this story one bit. My times may be slightly inaccurate. My clock in my truck read 4:26 when I was pulled over, and it read 4:49 when I drove away (23 minutes) I clearly stated that I did not mind being pulled over - It was the tone of voice used, the clear power trip, and the amount of time this officer used to determine that I was not doing anything wrong. I am well aware that this officer was well within his rights to detain me for longer - the point I am making is that he could have used some common sense once he determined that 1) I was not the arsonist 2) I had not been drinking 3) I actually live right where I told him I did 4) I had no outstanding warrants. All those determinations could have taken place much faster. My impression was that he wanted to arrest for me something, but I had nothing that was worthy of an arrest.

I have been pulled over in my life (mostly when I was 18 and under) and every single time except this one, I had done something actually wrong. Every single time I am pulled over I am extremely nice, non-threatening, yes-sir, no-sir, hands at 10 and 2 - and every single time except this one, the officer has approached me carefully and then once he determined I was not a threat he/she has been polite, and done his/her job without me thinking that it would make his night fantastic if he could arrest me.

Its not illegal to drive the truck I drive and my truck (completely unmodified) is incapable of making many right turns without crossing the outside lane or hitting a curb; its a physical impossibility - in fact many trucks cant make that turn. My truck also happens to be the smallest vehicle I could buy capable of towing the loads I frequently tow. Its not illegal to tow a trailer either, and when you tow a trailer you have to turn across several lanes as well.

Dont get me wrong here - I respect what the officers do, I understand that they have no clue whether or not I am some crazy white dude packing a pistol under my seat ready to kill him when he gets to the window....but I do everything in my power to be extremely polite and non-threatening and every single time except this time when I do that, yes-sir, no-sir, and keep my hands on the wheel the cop realizes I am not a threat and relaxes with me. I felt threatened by this cop, and I gave absolutely ZERO signs of threat back towards him.

I was well within my rights to refuse to allow him to search my vehicle. He had no right to do so and no probable cause whatsoever - I allowed it to save myself time and hassle. I could not have done it more politely and he could have exercised some common sense and been more respectful to me as well.

• Like 1

You don't need his name or any information. Just call the number listed here tell them exactly when and where you were, and they will be able to track down the officer. Until this type of behavior is reported, it is destined to be continued. They work for you, not the other way around.

What on earth are you guys talking about? Even if everything that the op said the officer did is true, there is no misconduct on the part of the officer! Let's review each point of Marksmu's post:

anyway, I turn onto Yale, and sure enough, lights come on...I put my blinker on to move over and let him by, just thinking its worth a try, and he somehow in his simple little mind decides thats running, b/c at that point he turns on his siren (were talking about 30 feet since the lights came on)..not a beep beep siren, but the full blown thing. I already know where this one is headed.

OK, you're already implying that the cop has a "simple little mind" even before he's pulled you over. You also feel that he's wrong for using his siren. It's not your choice whether he uses the siren -- it's his. Sounds like you just don't like the fact that you're not in control of the situation.

He comes up and is clearly a pissy little dude. (small man power complex + Cop is always bad)

Again -- you're the one with the attitude problem, not the officer.

=========

You know, I was going to quote and rebut each and every thing you thought the officer did wrong, but when I re-read your post, it just reaffirmed that you were the jerk in this whole encounter.

The only thing the officer did wrong was let you off without a ticket.

Maybe next time he'll do a better job!

And by the way, what makes you think the arsonist is not a "clean cut, well dressed person in a nice truck 2 blocks from my house heading towards the highway"? Do you think that the arsonist is some unshaven, homeless bum dressed in rags carrying a 40-ounce in one hand and a gas can in another? Think the bum is smart enough to set more than 15 fires, including 5 at the same address, without getting caught?

Oh yeah -- in your followup you said:

But actually - no - the events went pretty much exactly the way I said they did. I did not have to embellish this story one bit.

At least I was honest enough to acknowledge that the truth would lie somewhere between your account of the incident and the officer's account. The more you try to make yourself sound perfect, the more it shows you're not.

Edited by heights
  • Like 3

So, I live very close to where all the fires originally began, and since about the 8th or 9th fire I have really seen an increased police presence...which I might say I appreciate since I seldom saw police before. In the evening I can sit on the front porch and I bet no less than 3 cars will drive by in a 2 hour window...its really a very high profile partrol they are conducting right now. I am even awoken a few times a night by the lights from the cruisers pointed into windows as they patrol the streets...first couple times I thought it might be a robber, but after jumping up to look out the window and it being a cop every time I am alot less anxious about lights being pointed at the house at that certain elevation their light bar illuminates.

Anyway, as much as I appreciate the presence, there needs to be common sense on their behalf too. I got up early to get to work early today (4:25am) and I pull off of my street, onto 11th towards yale, and there is a cop near Yale on 11th coming the opposite direction. I am not speeding at all, and as soon as he whips around in a circle, I know he is about to pull me over...for what I dont know yet... anyway, I turn onto Yale, and sure enough, lights come on...I put my blinker on to move over and let him by, just thinking its worth a try, and he somehow in his simple little mind decides thats running, b/c at that point he turns on his siren (were talking about 30 feet since the lights came on)..not a beep beep siren, but the full blown thing. I already know where this one is headed.

I pull onto the first cross street off Yale and pull over. He comes up and is clearly a pissy little dude. (small man power complex + Cop is always bad) He asks for license and registration and glances at them without reading anything, and says what are you doing in this area at this time? I said I live here, and I am leaving for work. He scoffs, where do you live? I tell him...he says hold on...goes to his car for 10 minutes (ridiculous long time)...comes stomping back to my big ole truck...how many times have you been arrested son? I look at him...he is maybe 6 years older than me...none I reply...you mean to tell me youve never been arrested? Nope - never. In your whole life? NO - once when I was 16 I got a MIP, but thats it...He gets all cocky....so you have been arrested? NOPE - I reply its a misdemeanor...I was ticketed and released. I guess that pissed him off too b/c he stomps back to his car again... (5 more minutes pass)

He stomps back and hands me my license and insurance, and says he needs to search the vehicle! I say are you looking for anything in particular? He replies, can I search it or not? Im like sure do what you want (avoiding a ride downtown now) but there is nothing in it...he opens my back doors, and my front shines his light around for a bit nothing to be found.....closes my doors and then asks me what do you do? I reply I am an engineer and attorney, and practice for a private company...now, I guess b/c I am an attorney the tone changes a little...he gets a bit nicer to me, but not much (since he has already pulled me over for nothing and searched my truck for no reason)...He then asks me for my phone numbers....I cant even imagine why he needs my phone numbers at this point, but he still seems like he is intent on arresting me for something so I give them to him...back to his car he goes...5 more minutes pass, and he comes back and hands me back my license.

I am assuming the interrogation is over, everything I have said is true, and I have a reason to be where I am at the hour I am there...so I ask him why he pulled me over? His answer immediately, for making my right turn too WIDE...I say too wide? He says, when you turned, you turned from the right lane, and you turned into the left lane of Yale....Now I dont know if that is illegal or not, but I drive a very large truck. It is physically impossible to make the turn from right lane to right lane without hitting a curb, especially at Yale where it is perfect corners and not rounded off ones...I tell him this....I guess he didnt like that, b/c its back to the car. About 2 minutes later he comes back, and tells me the OTHER reason he pulled me over is my trailer hitch is obstructing my license plate a little bit (true)...I thank him for lettin me know and he lets me off..

Im ranting, but as much as I appreciate the police keepin an eye on things, I am a clean cut, well dressed person in a nice truck 2 blocks from my house heading towards the highway. It was obvious I was not the arsoninst...this cop just really really wanted to have caught the arsonist and be a hero. It was quite a bit overboard. Its the longest I have ever been stopped, and all b/c he was just dying to be a hero. Long story short...comon HPD lets use our resources a bit more efficiently. 100% of my info checked out immediately, license has home address, insurance has home address, and I am a block from home. Lets use some common sense and not harass people on their way to work.

I keep reading through this post looking for the part where the officer mistreated you and violated your rights.

HPD: "Hmmm...4:25 am in the neighborhood where the fires start in a Ford F250 (that Marksmu frequently describes as huge). That's not very common in the Heights. Wonder what he's doing. Oh, look! A minor traffic violation! My training tells me that I can make a pretext traffic stop for that violation. That will give me a legal reason to stop this guy and see what he's up to. OK, drivers license and insurance. Let's run that DL through my Mobile Data Terminal to check his criminal history and look for warrants. My training tells me that 85% of all criminal arrests come from traffic stops. While I wait for the return, I'll glance through this guy's truck to see if I notice any fire starting materials, or if it smells like gasoline or smoke. They said arsonists are most often younger white males at the shift meeting. And, I'll ask a few questions to make sure that he is really from this neighborhood. As long as he gives reasonable responses, he'll be on his way in no time. OK, sir. You're free to go. Note to self...damned if you do, damned if you don't. These Heights residents demand to know why we haven't caught the arsonist yet, then get pissy when we stop them at 4:30 in the morning to check on things. I'll probably get another groundless IAD complaint from that guy."

You know, you COULD HAVE been intelligent enough to know that when you drive through the EXACT area at the EXACT time when the fires start, the cops may be looking a little closely at you. You COULD HAVE recognized that this guy is looking out for the value of your pretentious McVictorian, thanked him for his diligence and posted here about how HPD is taking this arson spree very seriously. Instead, you do EXACTLY what is expected of a young white male with a brand new law license...you get all pissy that they had the nerve to stop you. I was driving home at 4:45 this morning, and saw the lights on down the street. I almost drove by to see who HPD had stopped, but decided not to make their job harder. I so wish I had now.

• Like 6

OK, you're already implying that the cop has a "simple little mind" even before he's pulled you over. You also feel that he's wrong for using his siren. It's not your choice whether he uses the siren -- it's his. Sounds like you just don't like the fact that you're not in control of the situation.

Again -- you're the one with the attitude problem, not the officer.

You know, I was going to quote and rebut each and every thing you thought the officer did wrong, but when I re-read your post, it just reaffirmed that you were the jerk in this whole encounter.

The only the the officer did wrong was let you off without a ticket. Maybe next time he'll do a better job!

You seem OVERLY defensive of this officer, and critical of someone who would file a complaint against him, or someone like him (the "crybabies" remark).

I would think after confirming that you look like the person in your license, that your plates match the address, AND the address is a few blocks away, then there should be no issue. To continue the call at that point without further explaining himself is harassment.

I could understand if he POLITELY asked to search your vehicle, stating that there is an arsonist in the area and its his duty to make sure he doesn't miss anything. If the officer asked me that, I would hand the man my keys. Without the courtesy and explanation though, I would tell him no, and demand his badge number and for his supervisor to respond to the scene if they want to do a vehicle search with out explaining themselves first. Remember that if there's reasonable suspicion of a crime, they won't need to ask your permission, but rather detain you and search your vehicle as they see fit.

The thing that concerns me most is that he asked for your phone number. Why would he need a phone number? He has your address!

I say file a complaint and ensure that this guy, whatever his problem is, won't bother any more people in the Heights. I can imagine that at worst, during roll call EVERYONE will be reminded to be a little more courteous to confirmed heights residents. THEY WORK FOR YOU.

Edited by Jeebus

I would think after confirming that you look like the person in your license, that your plates match the address, AND the address is a few blocks away, then there should be no issue.

And this is exactly why you would not make a good police officer. Please continue to do a good job at whatever it is you do.

"Would you care to explain what you were doing out at 4:45 in the morning, sir?" ^_^

No problem. I was arriving home from work. I get off work at 4:00 am, and it takes me 45 minutes to drive home. I usually make a quick run around the neighborhood once I enter the Heights, since there has been trouble at that time of the morning lately, but I don't drive up on traffic stops. I also fully expect to get pulled over one of these mornings, but, unlike Marksmu, I realize the pressure that HPD and HFD is under from self-important Heights residents to catch the arsonist, and once stopped, would cooperate fully. I also realize that cops are law enforcement officers, not CVB employees, so I do not expect them to make me feel all warm and fuzzy. I have 2 dogs for that.

• Like 1

Come on people. Reading his post I don't think Marksmu is complaining about being stopped and appreciates the police presence. He just got a cop with an attitude and I can't blame him for complaining. Nothing worse than a cop with an attitude, particularly when uncalled for. 

• Like 5

And this is exactly why you would not make a good police officer. Please continue to do a good job at whatever it is you do.

By showing courtesy and professionalism to the citizens I serve!? :blink:

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

You might want to read up on the department and the actions you're defending, starting with their mission statement.

MISSION STATEMENT: The mission of the Houston Police Department is to enhance the quality of life in the City of Houston by working cooperatively with the public and within the framework of the U.S. Constitution to enforce the laws, preserve the peace, reduce fear and provide for a safe environment.

Preserve and Advance Democratic Values

We shall uphold this country's democratic values as embodied in the Constitution and shall dedicate ourselves to the preservation of liberty and justice for all.

Improve the Quality of Community Life

We shall strive to improve the quality of community life through the provision of quality and equitable services.

Improve the Quality of Work Life

We shall strive to improve the working environment for the department's employees by engaging in open and honest communication and demonstrating a genuine concern for one another.

Demonstrate Professionalism

We shall always engage in behavior that is beyond ethical reproach and reflects the integrity of police professionals.

Principles

Life and individual freedoms are sacred.

All persons should be treated fairly and equitably.

The role of the police is to resolve problems through the enforcement of laws - not through the imposition of judgement or punishment.

The neighborhood is the basic segment of the community.

Because law enforcement and public safety reflect community wide concern, the police must actively seek the involvement of citizens in all aspects of policing.

The fundamental responsibility of the police is provision of quality services.

The department's employees are its most valuable asset.

Employee involvement in departmental activities is essential for maintaining a productive working environment.

Employees should be treated fairly and equitably in recognition of basic human dignity and as a means of enriching their work life.

Edited by Jeebus
  • Like 1

I would think after confirming that you look like the person in your license, that your plates match the address, AND the address is a few blocks away, then there should be no issue. To continue the call at that point without further explaining himself is harassment.

If you knew anything about serial arsonists and the specifics of this case, you'd know that the odds are very high that the arsonist lives in the area. Reading a DL that shows the driver lives in the area would not make a GOOD cop cut him loose.