Paul Allen Mansion At 2201 Fannin St.

marmer

The Witch's Hat House, from the Houston Architectural Guide, second edition.

I used to see this house all the time because I used to bank at Gibraltar, now Bank of America, on San Jacinto and it was right across the street. In the late 80's it looked pretty sharp and slowly deteriorated. Sad, but no one wanted to live there in those days. Interestingly, it won a Good Brick award in 1981!

paulhouse.jpg

• Like 1

the house i'm talking about is in garden villas. the house in the pic is different.

They are talking about the Witch Hat House near downtown. The one you are talking about if memory serves me right is behind the Whataburger. My brother reminded me this weekend. You turn off of Telephone onto Haywood and at the first right there is a house on the Y, it is right next door on the left, all you see is the drive entrance the house is set way back. If this is the house it was for sale about 8 years ago. I was told by the realtor it once belonged to a bootleger and had tunnels underneath leading to a small creek that goes to Sims Bayou incase a quick escape was needed.

joe

• Like 1

To the best of my recollection, the Witch's Hat House used to be the location of the Hallie Prichard Dance School, a popular place to study tap, ballet, etc., in the 1950's-1960's. Someone with an old city directory may have more accurate information.

That house was demolished and replaced by a :o bath house :o . The "witches hat" was at the architural antiques place on Westheimer for a time, don't know where it ended up.

Edited by west20th
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
I think that is the 'Witch's Hat' house that was off Fannin (I think) near what is now close to Mid Town.

FM

No, the Witch's Hat house's turret was shaped differently (a sort of concave cone, if that makes sense.)

• Like 1

No, the Allen-Paul house (Witches Hat house) looked like this:

witcheshat001.jpg

Photo by Gerald Moorhead, FAIA, from the _Houston Architectural Guide_, first edition, 1990, by Stephen Fox and Gerald Moorhead.

This looks like an 1880s Victorian, maybe in what would become Midtown?

Couldn't find a match on http://www.houstonhistory.com/poduct2/album3/jsalbum.html

Most houses that looked similar were built around 1895.

Edited by marmer
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Oh. I loved the "Witches Hat House". My mom lived on the south side as a young girl and walked by this house every day on her way to St Agnes Academy. She said it was scary looking after dark.

I remember someone saved the cupola and stored it on a piece of property in MidTown for several years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Witches hat house was in Midtown, where Club Houston is near theTexaco on Gray and San Jacinto (I think it was the SE corner of Webster and Fannin). The turret cap was stored at the architectural antiques place that used to be on Westheimer near the antique shops. I remember seeing it there in 1998 when we moved to Midtown.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I just joined this forum and am browsing topics. I searched the Witch's Hat House and Musicman's old post/inquiry about the Witch House brought to mind the beautiful gem of a house referred to as the "Witch's Hat House" located at 2201 Fannin St. I fell in love with this house back in the late 70's to early 80's when an architectural  firm was housed there. It was still beautiful then.  I just read an article dated 8.26.16 in the Houston Press , I believe , where the house was demolished  but the turret or better known as the Witch's Hat survived and is at a park in sixth ward as the top to a gazebo. Great reading and has beautiful pictures of this lost gem.

On another note, I am familiar with Garden Villas but not the witch house referenced in Musicman's original inquiry. Must explore.

Totally loving this forum.

EastEndNative58 

• Like 3

• 6 years later...

And you can also see the original Club Houston bathhouse to the right, which is now located where this gem of a house once stood.  Great picture Highrise!  I have fond memories of driving by this house as a kid whenever we ventured into downtown.

Edited by EspersonBuildings
  • Like 1