Michael Jackson

DJ V Lawrence

There were very very few black artists being played on MTV in its early years. I remember when Rick James started making noise about it. Shortly after, Michael Jackson came out with his album and MTV was pressured to run it. This was pre-Prince.

Now that I think of it, I may be remembering something else. When MTV came out I lived in an area where cable television availability was very rare. Instead, we watched videos on Friday Night Videos on NBC and a local 24-hour video channel called U-68 (WWHT). That may be where I remember all those Motown videos from.

By the time I saw MTV for the first time it would have been around 1989 when I was in college; long after Michael Jackson would have dominated MTV.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sky Saxon died yesterday too. RIP

Whoa! I was going to post with the 3rd dead celebrity of the day, but then I realized no one here would know who Sly Saxon was. I was wrong!!

I did not know that he was living in Austin and had just played a gig at Antones last week.

R.I.P The King of Pop :(

Is Michael Jackson smiling down on the people of New York?

Fox 5 viewers Rolando Rivera and Felicita Diaz-Rivera of the Upper West Side were admiring the amazing light and clouds that emerged after a thunderstorm passed through the tristate.

That is when they noticed that one section of the clouds seemed to take on a familiar face. Rolando took a series of photos (see photo tab), which show a cloud formation coalescing into Michael Jackson's profile -- or maybe not.

Can you see his face? Vote in our Web poll (see poll tab).

Rolando and Felicita saw this scene from the window of their apartment near Amsterdam Avenue and 101st Street.

Perhaps Michael was trying to catch a glimpse at the scores of people gathered at the Apollo Theater in nearby Harlem to pay tribute to the King of Pop.

Michael Jackson over NYC.

perhaps cause no one has been able to locate him.

Remember that the doctors in Anna Nicole Smith's case are now under indictment. Remember that this man was with him when he collapsed.

As far as nobody being able to locate him, the LAPD does say he is being cooperative and they have spoken to him by phone. I think I would want to go into hiding if I were him. If he had nothing to do with MJ's death, I would want to lay low until that was made perfectly clear by the media. If he did inappropriately medicate him, I would want to lay low forever. He's a target right now.

Editor and kennyc05, making light of dead people out of remembrance for who they were in life is far preferable to mourning them solemnly. Mourning sucks; it's such a downer. When my grandfather died, the coming together of the family could best be described as festive. Everybody told stories--especially the memorable and funny stories--we poked fun at his and everybody else's idiosyncrasies, and we carried on with life. Of course, my grandfather never engaged in crotch grabbing, nor was he ever suspected of molesting children, so that didn't come up the way it has here. In this context, it's totally appropriate. When OJ Simpson dies, it'll be appropriate to tell jokes about his questionable behavioral patterns, too.

All you people on here making liltle funny cracks on Michael all I have to say its not funny when death hits close to home just remember that.

May he rest in peace

And what connection do you have to Michael ?

I was walking down Santa Monica Beach when I heard the news. Pretty sad. On the way back to Hollywood, I passed by the UCLA Medical Center and heard so many MJ tunes from cars. Went to the makeshift MJ Walk of Fame star that night, then the real one the next day. LA is on top of things quick. By that night, Michael Jackson RIP shirts were on sale in Hollywood.

Editor and kennyc05, making light of dead people out of remembrance for who they were in life is far preferable to mourning them solemnly. Mourning sucks; it's such a downer. When my grandfather died, the coming together of the family could best be described as festive. Everybody told stories--especially the memorable and funny stories--we poked fun at his and everybody else's idiosyncrasies, and we carried on with life. Of course, my grandfather never engaged in crotch grabbing, nor was he ever suspected of molesting children, so that didn't come up the way it has here. In this context, it's totally appropriate. When OJ Simpson dies, it'll be appropriate to tell jokes about his questionable behavioral patterns, too.

How do you know who he was were you there when those kids supposedly molested. Its stupid you would say that.

Call it an educated guess.

No, considering that you were not present, did not investigate the allegations or interview witnesses, did not read the offense reports and did not even attend the trial and listen to the evidence presented, yours is not an educated guess. It is merely what you choose to believe, likely based on the fact that you are not a fan of the man or his music. This also applies to kennyc05, though his opinion is likely based on the fact that he is a fan.

It is merely what you choose to believe, likely based on the fact that you are not a fan of the man or his music. This also applies to kennyc05, though his opinion is likely based on the fact that he is a fan.

I'm a fan the man he used to be and a fan of his music.. and I choose to believe that he's a pervert and the allegations are most likely true.

His musical legacy and accomplishments greatly outweigh his personal issues and questionable behavior in my assessment of him however, and I choose to believe that this is the case for the majority of society.

No, considering that you were not present, did not investigate the allegations or interview witnesses, did not read the offense reports and did not even attend the trial and listen to the evidence presented, yours is not an educated guess. It is merely what you choose to believe, likely based on the fact that you are not a fan of the man or his music.

It is as much an educated guess on your part that I am not a fan of the man or his music as it is on my part that he is a child molester.

As you are so fond of saying, pot meet kettle.

As little debates over MJ's past actions flair, which is fine, this is as much a discussion thread as it is a memorial thread, the fact is, like many geniuses, Michael Jackson had many eccentricities. More so than most geniuses clearly.I just don't think that after his childhood he ever really grew up. To all of us, being a 30 or 40 something year old man and having pajama parties with children who are pre-teen aged seems inappropriate but to MJ it was just fine, as if he were 10 years old himself.

Seeing the intense coverage over the last few days, the more modern Michael Jackson is in many respects down right strange, while in the 80s he was easilly an icon of the times. Through all his years none of it takes away that he was a musical genius. If you're mourning him I can see why and if you're not I can also see why. But if you're not I hope you still give him props for what he was able to do in his career. It was a sad end to a strange life... too bad he didn't get that one last chance to try another comeback and maybe go on a higher note, and not so deeply bankrupted. Oh well.

As little debates over MJ's past actions flair, which is fine, this is as much a discussion thread as it is a memorial thread, the fact is, like many geniuses, Michael Jackson had many eccentricities. More so than most geniuses clearly.I just don't think that after his childhood he ever really grew up. To all of us, being a 30 or 40 something year old man and having pajama parties with children who are pre-teen aged seems inappropriate but to MJ it was just fine, as if he were 10 years old himself.

Seeing the intense coverage over the last few days, the more modern Michael Jackson is in many respects down right strange, while in the 80s he was easilly an icon of the times.

You make a very good point: many people today can easily comment about freaky MJ, but were not around when he had a tremendous influence on popular culture. I think it's safe to say he's been artistically irrelevant for quite a while. People can dog him on any number of things, but there was a time when the guy was huge.

However, I have to disagree completely with musical genius. MJ was a superb entertainer, had a good ear and had really good handlers. But not even close to genius. Prince, now he's a musical genius. For writing and arranging alone, before you even get into guitar playing.

I would think that Phil Spector has influenced music in as much a way as MJ has, but one little mishap with a gun and now he is a cold blooded killer. That applies if you are a fan or NOT a fan of Phil Spector because when Phil dies all he'll be remembered for is the killing of an actress at his home.

People will have their opinions, like it or not. I liked MJ up til about 1988, after the BAD album, I was done. Then MJ just lost it. Molestation charges, Danglin' babies out of windows, skin problems, plastic surgery, massive drug use, yadda yadda yadda, R.I.P.

Why is the media picking at this? "His cardiologist had ties to Houston" so what? Every station has reported this...But yeah may he rest in peace.

I think the thing is what KIND of cardiologist he was. This wasn't some guy practicing out of world class hospitals in the Med Center. This guy practiced out of rinky dink places near Acres Homes that any person who wanted even the best in simple health care wouldn't dare step into.

I think the thing is what KIND of cardiologist he was. This wasn't some guy practicing out of world class hospitals in the Med Center. This guy practiced out of rinky dink places near Acres Homes that any person who wanted even the best in simple health care wouldn't dare step into.

You're right, and I will speculate that Jackson hired this QUACK, because of no prior convictions and could write as many prescriptions as necessary to keep the self-proclaimed "King of POP" nicely medicated, as well as some of MJ's visitors ?

You're right, and I will speculate that Jackson hired this QUACK, because of no prior convictions and could write as many prescriptions as necessary to keep the self-proclaimed "King of POP" nicely medicated, as well as some of MJ's visitors ?

His title wasn't "self-proclaimed". Elizabeth Taylor coined it in 1989 according to Wikipedia.

Archived