Michael Jackson

DJ V Lawrence

His title wasn't "self-proclaimed". Elizabeth Taylor coined it in 1989 according to Wikipedia.

This is EXACTLY why you can't rely on Wiki for ANYTHING.

Do yourself a favor and do an internet search for michael jackson self proclaimed king of pop, see how many hits come up, and from where the sources are. B)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do yourself a favor and do an internet search for michael jackson self proclaimed king of pop, see how many hits come up, and from where the sources are. B)

I was watcing Larry King Live on Thursday night (might have been Friday, don't remember) and Elizabeth Taylor came on and said she said it herself. It was when he won Artist of the Decade.

And you CAN rely on Wiki. I don't know why people love to hate on it, but they always have references and links that you can follow back.

For the fans, check this MJ mix

I started in 1970 with the Jackson 5 and went all the way up through 2001, not always mixing because I wanted to go in chronological order. I skipped over some of the more obvious songs (ABC, I Want You Back, Billie Jean, PYT) - if anybody is dying to hear those, please come see me DJ in real life. I hope this mix brings up as many happy memories and good feelings for you when you listen to it as it did for me making it.

http://www.zshare.net/download/53748048b24e0397/

tracklisting:

Maybe Tommorow

Never Can Say Goodbye

I Wanna Be Where You Are

The Love You Save

Dancing Machine

Everybody's Somebody's Fool

Up Again

We're Almost There

I Can't Help It

Don't Stop Til You Get Enough

Workin Day and Night

Get On The Floor

Lovely One

Baby Be Mine

Say, Say, Say

Human Nature

The Lady In My Life

Dirty Diana

Another Part of Me

Remember the Time

In The Closet

Who Is It

You Rock My World (Remix)

Butterflies

Why would any of your sources be any more reliable than mine? There is a footnote showing the book that is the source of the claim regarding Elizabeth Taylor coining the phrase.

His title wasn't "self-proclaimed". Elizabeth Taylor coined it in 1989 according to Wikipedia.

On 104.1 they said he got the name because he admired Elvis which people called the king, and he struck a deal with MTV to get his videos but they had to call him the King of Pop when they introduced him. It was self proclaimed but he proved it to be true.

Bill Simmons and Chuck Klosterman (who is apparently widely read) talk a lot about Michael Jackson. Chuck has some great takes and information. For instance, I did not know Michael had alarms set up to go off if someone was approaching his room when he had the sleep overs; very creepy.

6/29 Part 1 - http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcas...hive?id=2864045 (45 minutes)

It was very hard for me to wake up that morning, and carry on, once I heard the news...

Poor guy was such a messed up freak show. Maybe this is better for him. RIP.

PYT-Bry - what a talent! Heee Heee (That's not laughter)

lockmat, there is a British interview with MJ. He was terrified of his dad all his life. He used to "tear us boys up when we made a mis-step". I think the media distorted many things. I also think that the fear of his father since childhood may be a better explanation for the 'hall monitors'.

At any rate, I think he was exploited by the media and greed-mongers. I'm just sayin'.

RIP, MJ.

Bill Simmons and Chuck Klosterman (who is apparently widely read) talk a lot about Michael Jackson. Chuck has some great takes and information. For instance, I did not know Michael had alarms set up to go off if someone was approaching his room when he had the sleep overs; very creepy.

6/29 Part 1 - http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcas...hive?id=2864045 (45 minutes)

Chuck Klosterman hovers around accessible pop culture, but he's very good at what he does. I highly recommend his books. I think he's still doing a column in Esquire.

Watching the TV coverage (Usually with a voice over that speaks of Jackson 5 beginings at Apollos theater) of Michael Jackson brought this question to mind-- The very first time the Jackson 5 appeared at Apollo-there must have been hundreds in the audience and no one had a camera to take pictures? no one is madly searching obscure places in their attic to sell pictures that would be worth a fortune?

So when are we going to have dead celebrities forum. :P

We sure have enough interest and content to sustain one?

How about we get rid of the Museum District Forum and replace it with this one to conserve space, it has been collecting dust for over 3 weeks now. :D

I would have a lot to say about MJ, mostly bad, since there's already enough people who idolize him, but seeing his daughter cry made me forget about the molester he is/isn't because Michael was someones dad, so even if we don't respect him, we should at least respect his children...... :unsure:

She really is a publicity whore isn't she.

Can anyone tell me what special reason she had to be invited to that?

Yes, I can, a few years ago she had MJ and a few African Nationals in her office in Washington to discuss some type of......OH well, here's the story.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-20894929_ITM

BTW, I would love it if my daughter could have the same chance as Paris Jackson did, and at my funeral, be able to tell the WHOLE FRIGGIN' WORLD, what a great father I was and how much she loved me. I am soooo sad for her, I wish I could make Paris' pain go away.

I don't know what to make of you MJ, but I hope you can rest in peace now, knowing that for all your troubles and all the speculation, that ONE person truly loved you, unconditionally.

I would have a lot to say about MJ, mostly bad, since there's already enough people who idolize him, but seeing his daughter cry made me forget about the molester he is/isn't because Michael was someones dad, so even if we don't respect him, we should at least respect his children...... :unsure:

Nobody ought to get special consideration just because they got someone pregnant.

BTW, I would love it if my daughter could have the same chance as Paris Jackson did, and at my funeral, be able to tell the WHOLE FRIGGIN' WORLD, what a great father I was and how much she loved me. I am soooo sad for her, I wish I could make Paris' pain go away.

I don't know what to make of you MJ, but I hope you can rest in peace now, knowing that for all your troubles and all the speculation, that ONE person truly loved you, unconditionally.

Even though it was NOT a funeral, it was a memorial, i agree.

Who puts a child through that much pain just to make a bunch of viewers shed a tear.

It almost seemed as though the forced her to say it......since they crowded around in the end, and even after she said her dad was the best, they still stood there wanting her to say more.....

Where else could you have an accused rapist while he was married and a man with HIV because he cheated on his wife 1000+ times? Also a reverend that has 10+ illegitimate children celebrate a man who abused drugs and was an accused child molester.... I know the key word was accused, not convicted but is it a coincidence how a circle of people find a way to be connected? Similar to politics....

Yesterday on 610 radio, Kevin Bass (former Astro) said there have been about 12 suicides by people in response to the news that Michael Jackson died.

Have yall heard or read that anywhere?

edit: Finally found an article...

A dozen Michael Jackson fans have committed suicide after learning their icon has passed away. And hundreds more are reportedly having thoughts about ending their lives because the grief is too much to bear.

http://www.hollyscoop.com/michael-jackson/michael-jackson-fans-committing-suicide_20744.aspx

Archived