TxDOT Proposes Elevating I-10 near I-45

6 hours ago, samagon said:

don't disagree with you. 

the claim by TXDoT that flooding causing breaks in commercial traffic and citing how much commerce was impacted is an atrocious argument. I could give two shits about long haul trucking needs through Houston. if TXDoT comes at me with the number of people have died on that stretch of road because of flooding, ok, now you have my attention, but throwing the commercial impact like that matters to locals?

that reasoning makes it very clear that the safety and lives of humans who use those freeways daily are less important than moving freight, unless I missed that part of the presentation where they talk about mitigating people getting stuck in a flooded car on the freeway and drowning. 

sorry for not coming out and just saying that from the get go, it's just that kind of a statement on a presentation just really pulls out that kind of snarky reply.

anyway, let's not talk about raising Houston's freeways, we just talked about going below grade on all of them around downtown. I guess because they aren't in a bayou floodplain, but then, neither is 59 near Montrose, and one of the most iconic pictures of flooded highways in Houston is a dude kayaking down 59. and we just saw 288 get a shiny new refresh, that goes right through a bayou, floods regularly because it is in a bayou floodplain, and all they did was add (managed) lanes. there's little consistency, so it's hard for me to accept a rebuild because of floodplain to really be a thing. I guess maybe the amount of commercial impact on 288 was less, so who cares if it floods, right?

and let's not even discuss that the commercial impact argument ignores that there are alternate routes to avoid a flooded I-10. 610 (either direction), beltway 8 (either direction), soon to be Grand Parkway.59flood.jpg.2dfbe0690ba217f86a51b2a236e9e0bb.jpg

I’m pretty sure that pic of Southwest Freeway was taken before the project was completed and that is has not flooded since.

• Like 1

when was the last time the Houston Freeways book was updated? on that website it says construction on that section of 59 was done in 2006.

the watermark on that photo says 2011.

according to this website, that section of freeway flooded during Harvey.

https://www.news4jax.com/weather/2022/08/25/5-years-ago-remembering-devastating-flooding-from-hurricane-harvey/

at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. TXDoT is going to ram this through because as was mentioned they have to spend all their money on freeways, or the money goes away. if we want to see any changes, then we have to get our representatives to change how TXDoT is required to spend money so they spend money on more than just solutions for vehicle travel.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, samagon said:

when was the last time the Houston Freeways book was updated? on that website it says construction on that section of 59 was done in 2006.

the watermark on that photo says 2011.

according to this website, that section of freeway flooded during Harvey.

https://www.news4jax.com/weather/2022/08/25/5-years-ago-remembering-devastating-flooding-from-hurricane-harvey/

at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. TXDoT is going to ram this through because as was mentioned they have to spend all their money on freeways, or the money goes away. if we want to see any changes, then we have to get our representatives to change how TXDoT is required to spend money so they spend money on more than just solutions for vehicle travel.

Well, I guess you make a good case for elevating freeways...  ^_^

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Some one said:

I thought below-grade freeways were supposed to function as flood basins though. 🤔

once TXDoT has rebuilt all the freeways so they will no longer impact commercial trucking with flooding, they will rebuild the freeways again because we need them to act as flood basins. we will go back and forth in this manner until there is no more concrete available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Triton said:

Do we know the impacts on the Houston Ave bridge yet, such as when they will begin dismantling and how long it will take to rebuild? 

In the schematics of the project it looks like they will rebuild the bridge but I-10 will flyover Houston Ave now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nate_56 said:

In the schematics of the project it looks like they will rebuild the bridge but I-10 will flyover Houston Ave now.

Oh wow. I didn't realize that. Sounds like biking Houston Ave will be easier now if it won't be as tall.

• Thanks 1