Memorial Heights At Washington: Multifamily At 201 S. Heights Blvd.

heights

I was eating at Chatters tonight (not bad food for the price, by the way, and no waiting for a table), and I noticed that at least one building at the Archstone Apartments across the street at 201 S. Heights had been demolished. Does anyone know what happened? Was there a fire or are they planning something else there?

Thanks.

In 2008, Archstone announced plans to demo the entire Memorial Heights complex and build six larger apartment buildings, with some mixed use on the corner of Studemont and Washington. They wanted the City to abandon the right turn lane and little park on the corner of Studewmont and Washington. There was opposition to that as that right turn lane does help move traffic. In 2008, they actually got everyone to move out of the building on the SW corner of the development (the one that just got demoed). But then the economy wrecked. I think they have replatted the development, but never went any further ont he right turn lane abandonment.

Now, in 2012, they are finally going forward with demolishing the building on the SW corner. They are going to put up the typical 4-6 story complex with an internal parking lot. However, there has been no further talk about how the rest of the property will be developed.

Back in 2008, a lot of people wanted them to get rid of the fences and open up the development to the street so that the stretch of Washington from Waugh to Studemont would have some commercial activity. Archstone wasn't too interested back in 2008, and there is no indication they are going to do anything like that in the future.

What is really interesting is that the complex was built in 1996 as a high-end gentrification project on Washington Ave and was already slated for redevelopment and demolition in 2008.

• 1 month later...

Archived