• 1st pick Vince Young. Trade Carr for 2nd pick. Draft Bush
    • 1st pick Vince Young. Keep Carr. Trade or sign free agents for support
    • 1st pick Vince Young. Keep Carr. Keep same roster with no changes
    • 1st pick Reggie Bush. Trade for offensive support
    • 1st pick Reggie Bush. Keep same team
    • 1st pick Leinhart.
    • 1st pick offensive lineman
    • 1st pick other

This is only if ALL committed to the draft. Only wishful thinking. No senarios here are actually confirmed to happen; this is only, in some cases, if the Texans got REALLY lucky. >:)

Vince Young WILL be in the NFL next year.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3573146.html

(on a side note. Marcus Vick will now also be in the draft.)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

reggie has been proving himself all year, thats why he won the heisman. sure vince has been good this year too but reggie has been more consistent. david carr is a descent quarterback when he has a line, we need to work on that and our defense before we get rid of carr.

Let me tell you the outcome going to be in the draft. Texans going to draft Vince just cause, he's from Houston. His family, friends, and fans would like him to stay in Texas.

For Bush, he'll drop down to 2nd, or 3rd in the draft. So, he will have a choice to be drafted by New Orleans, or Tennesse. Moreover, Bush did mention he would like to play for his old teammate, Alex Smith at 49ers, plus he'll be right at home.

Matt Leinart most likely be headed to the Saints, since they're getting rid of Aaron Brooks.

reggie has been proving himself all year, thats why he won the heisman. sure vince has been good this year too but reggie has been more consistent. david carr is a descent quarterback when he has a line, we need to work on that and our defense before we get rid of carr.

chron.com

"Young finished with 467 all-purpose yards

Hmmm, let's see. Who are the three best running QBs in the NFL?

Daunte Culpepper? Michael Vick? Donovan McNabb?

Wonder how the three of them are doing in rehab? Running QBs in the NFL get hurt. There is no reason to think Young won't be hurt as well. Given that the name of the game is winning, I'd rather have a drop back passer and a great running back. Every team with a running QB missed the playoffs when he got hurt.

Also, you guys keep forgetting that for the Texans to trade Carr, they have to pick up his option. An unsigned player is a free agent who cannot be traded. All we would be doing then is letting a 4 year veteran with a good arm go for a rookie with an average arm, with no extra offense at running back.

How many of you think Carr is doing a good job?

Or do you think he always has an excuse?

Here's my problem.

I think Carr is a quality quarterback, and could be a jewel in the NFL. But to pass up on Vince Young?

OR if you draft Vince Young, you pass up on Bush?

You'd have to be crazy to pass up on a hometown hero like Vnce Young, or a runner like Bush. There HAS to be a way to get both...

Good points Red - some of us were debating this on another thread. And you don't draft anyone just because he is from your hometown (unless it's Hakeem). The Texans have to go with Bush.

Actually McNabb is more of a pocket passer now because the coaches were tired of him getting hurt all of the time. I am no professionsal scout but I think McNabb has a pretty strong arm, whereas Young just has an average arm. Young will not be rushing for 1000 yards in the NFL either. I believe Vince Young will not be a NFL starter until at least his 3rd year, and I don't think the Texans can afford to wait that long to develope this team again. However, if this was back in the Texans 1st season I think Young would be a good pick.

Carr is not a bad QB. He was improving every year until the coaches started changing the offense. With a better coach, offensive scheme, and pro bowl RB (not that Davis is bad), Carr should be a top 5 QB soon.

Wonder how the three of them are doing in rehab? Running QBs in the NFL get hurt. There is no reason to think Young won't be hurt as well. Given that the name of the game is winning, I'd rather have a drop back passer and a great running back. Every team with a running QB missed the playoffs when he got hurt.

By the way, running QBs get hurt, yes. But so do quarterbacks that get sacked 68 times in just one season...

Also, you guys keep forgetting that for the Texans to trade Carr, they have to pick up his option. An unsigned player is a free agent who cannot be traded. All we would be doing then is letting a 4 year veteran with a good arm go for a rookie with an average arm, with no extra offense at running back.

NOW NOW REDSCARE, not only are your statements a bit impulsive, but they prove to be a bit contradictive........

Just how many pocket passing quarterbacks are constantly on the rehab within the NFL? For can you even count or name them? I know I can't........but please allow me the opportunity to remind you of the HOUSTON TEXANS last game against the San Francisco 49ers.........didn't David Carr get hurt.......as usual......

US GUYS are not forgetting anything in regards to NFL football trade strategies/techniques here in the city of Houston. People tend to so conveniently forget that US GUYS have been in the backseat driver football business for decades.........REMEMBER THE HOUSTON OILERS?......I DO!

REAL TEXANS BLEED FOOTBALL.....and what we don't know in regards to terms and strategy......we quickly learn. .......usually by way of our current team's many anomalies, nonwithstanding......

By the way great pal, you should know that I love you.......but let us start out this GREAT NEW YEAR with a bit more respect towards our future quarterback................***VINCE YOUNG*** for in reality, there is nothing average about this SUPERMAN............and if you still do not believe me.........JUST ASK USC..........

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

By the way, running QBs get hurt, yes. But so do quarterbacks that get sacked 68 times in just one season...

I suppose running QBs who get sacked 68 times don't get hurt.

Remember, draft Young and you have the same team with a rookie QB. Draft Bush and you have the same team plus a Heisman trophy winner who can run, catch and return. It aint Super Bowl yet, but it's a start.

Metro, I'm not a fan of runners in the NFL. You got to protect those expensive arms, and when they run, bad things happen. All 12 playoff teams have pocket passers. I think there is a reason for that.

My main argument is the improvement at the position. As good as he is, I don't see VY as that huge an improvement over Carr. In fact, we would lose some arm to get those legs. However, the improvement of Bush over Davis, I believe, is immense. That's why I say pick Bush. If we had Dallas' QB, or one who was getting old, VY would be a no-brainer.

I'm in the draft Reggie Bush camp.

I'm not ready to give up on Carr. We have seen even this year what he can do--3 TD's against the Rams in the first half anyone remember?

Also, let's not forget that Carr was also #2 in QB rushing yards in the NFL (or maybe just the AFC).

I think that if you draft Reggie Bush, you could have a San Diego Chargers-type offensive look. Brees had his coming out party last year, his 5th (I believe), and he had the Beast from Waco, LT as his running back. He also had Antonio Gates as a go to guy and Keenan McCardell later.

Carr could have Bush AND Domanick Davis as well as Andre Johnson and what should be a better Jerome Mathis next year. You Longhorn fans want Vince so much, but if the Texans could draft Bush and somehow also get David Thomas at TE, that'd be great AFAIC (as far as I'm concerned). Look at the dividends Heath Miller is paying in Pittsburgh.

The O-Line--well that has to be done the FA as well as some gem draft picks. My Panthers selected Jordan Gross with their number one pick in 2003--a non-sexy O-Lineman pick from Utah. That rookie protected the (at the time) unproven Jake Delhomme's blind-side all the way to the Super Bowl.

As far as Vince goes, I think that Tennessee would be good for him b/c he could spend more time with his "brother" and mentor McNair. However Titans O.C. Norm Chao and USC alum coach Jeff Fisher might be leaning towards Matt Leinart--especially given McNair's mileage and I also think that Billy Volek may not be coming back (unless they've settled it already).

I just think that the Texans drafting Vince will be San Diego all-over again drafting Philip Rivers because Brees wasn't getting it done. Brees kept his job the last two years, and then Schottenheimer left him in a meaningless game in week 17 in which he injured his shoulder. Now Sa Diego's plans of trading Rivers OR Brees are on hold because depending on how Brees recovers, they may need Rivers AND Brees' market value may decrease.

I'm in the draft Reggie Bush camp.

I'm not ready to give up on Carr. We have seen even this year what he can do--3 TD's against the Rams in the first half anyone remember?

Also, let's not forget that Carr was also #2 in QB rushing yards in the NFL (or maybe just the AFC).

I think that if you draft Reggie Bush, you could have a San Diego Chargers-type offensive look. Brees had his coming out party last year, his 5th (I believe), and he had the Beast from Waco, LT as his running back. He also had Antonio Gates as a go to guy and Keenan McCardell later.

Carr could have Bush AND Domanick Davis as well as Andre Johnson and what should be a better Jerome Mathis next year. You Longhorn fans want Vince so much, but if the Texans could draft Bush and somehow also get David Thomas at TE, that'd be great AFAIC (as far as I'm concerned). Look at the dividends Heath Miller is paying in Pittsburgh.

The O-Line--well that has to be done the FA as well as some gem draft picks. My Panthers selected Jordan Gross with their number one pick in 2003--a non-sexy O-Lineman pick from Utah. That rookie protected the (at the time) unproven Jake Delhomme's blind-side all the way to the Super Bowl.

As far as Vince goes, I think that Tennessee would be good for him b/c he could spend more time with his "brother" and mentor McNair. However Titans O.C. Norm Chao and USC alum coach Jeff Fisher might be leaning towards Matt Leinart--especially given McNair's mileage and I also think that Billy Volek may not be coming back (unless they've settled it already).

I just think that the Texans drafting Vince will be San Diego all-over again drafting Philip Rivers because Brees wasn't getting it done. Brees kept his job the last two years, and then Schottenheimer left him in a meaningless game in week 17 in which he injured his shoulder. Now Sa Diego's plans of trading Rivers OR Brees are on hold because depending on how Brees recovers, they may need Rivers AND Brees' market value may decrease.

Greetings GovenorAggie......

.....so very sorry to inform you. but your DRAFT REGGIE BUSH CAMP is heading toward a hasty foreclosure....

WE CAN ALL SIT HERE AND DEBATE THIS ISSUE UNTIL DAVID CARR TURNS INTO REPUNZEL.......but what's the point? For we all subconsciously know the facts now don't we?

VINCE YOUNG IS COMING HOME! For home is where the heart is........ and this hometown hero has a heart that championships are built upon..........

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

Greetings GovenorAggie......

.....so very sorry to inform you. but your DRAFT REGGIE BUSH CAMP is heading toward a hasty foreclosure....

WE CAN ALL SIT HERE AND DEBATE THIS ISSUE UNTIL DAVID CARR TURNS INTO REPUNZEL.......but what's the point? For we all subconsciously know the facts now don't we?

VINCE YOUNG IS COMING HOME! For home is where the heart is........ and this hometown hero has a heart that championships are built upon..........

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

What positions do the Texans need replacements on?

The Texans will be STUPID if we don't pick up Reggie Bush somehow. But I wanna see if our team has what it takes to pick up both Young AND Bush. Young and Bush both will be NFL stars, and it will be difficult for the Texans if we have to play against either one of them.

My lord, finally a voice of reason!

Does anyone here understand the game where the NFL is concerned? The game is twice as fast and twice as strong at virtually every position, thus players that may do well in college don't always do well in the pros. In other words, the pro game is much different.

Vince Young is not ready for the NFL, his wind up is to slow as well as is his decision making. On top of that his arm is average at best. Imo, he'll get killed in the NFL at this point. Also as Red said, running quarterbacks generally don't last long in the pros, they also tend to not win the biggest games. History proves it.

Finally, as much as Carr has cost us, we would be crazy to get rid of him, especially in regard to picking up his option. Although I was not that impressed with him (Carr), I think he's got a much stronger arm than Young and I think he deserves a chance with a good line.

If the Texans do draft Vince Young they should:

1. Trade him for an OL with Tennesee

2. Draft another 1st round OL with the pick they got from Tennesee

That should give us a solid line.

I think that would be a waste. We'd lose our 1st round pick for a veteran lineman we could have traded for or signed in free agency anyway.

Like I said, we NEED Bush. But I think we all are on the same page when I say that we wish all the best for Vince Young, wherever he goes. It'd only be nice to see him succeed in Houston, but it's only wishful thinking because we already have Carr; QB isn't an issue necessarily (How is our backup?).

We DO need to trade for more 1st round picks, though. Has anyone noticed the sespool of talent in the draft this year?!

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/rankings.html

This is guaranteed to be a year where the 2nd-3rd round will still produce at least 5 new stars.

Vince Young has been this impressive all season. Where have y'all been? Yet, one incredible individual performance on national TV and all-of-a-sudden he's the second coming for some of you. I will only accept the VY argument from people who were pushing for VY before the Rose Bowl. Are any of you out there??? Take your rose-colored glasses off, VY did not declare becuase he wants the Texans to take him, he declared because he knows he will go to the Titans #3 where he can spend a year or two under McNair.

Bush was #1 before the Rose Bowl, and he remains #1 after. OK, Bush had an off-night where all he had was 82 yards rushing, 95 yards receiving and 102 kickoff return yards. That isn't called an off-night for people who are not Reggie Bush.

You can go look back at some of my posts, I was all for Vince before the bowl. But, I am now of the Bush minded individuals.

82 yards rushing 95 receiving and 102 return yards would be a banner day for Dominic Davis, but that is an average day for Bush.

My lord, finally a voice of reason!

Does anyone here understand the game where the NFL is concerned? The game is twice as fast and twice as strong at virtually every position, thus players that may do well in college don't always do well in the pros. In other words, the pro game is much different.

Vince Young is not ready for the NFL, his wind up is to slow as well as is his decision making. On top of that his arm is average at best. Imo, he'll get killed in the NFL at this point. Also as Red said, running quarterbacks generally don't last long in the pros, they also tend to not win the biggest games. History proves it.

Finally, as much as Carr has cost us, we would be crazy to get rid of him, especially in regard to picking up his option. Although I was not that impressed with him (Carr), I think he's got a much stronger arm than Young and I think he deserves a chance with a good line.

MY LORD GARY.....are you an NFL expert? If so, then the TEXANS ARE HIRING..........

Please allow me the honor of repeating myself, REAL TEXANS BLEED FOOTBALL........so therefore, you may very well rest assured that we have an understanding of the game.......indeed!

I'd have to state that I find it amazing that you have put yourself in position to state that VY is not ready for the NFL........just what are where are your sources? For several NFL experts have already stepped forth to contradict your statements beforehand, and please notice that I did state NFL EXPERTS.

I moved to the city of Houston, TX upon the year of 1983. I very quickly became a Houston Oilers fan, and I do mean die-hard......as in season tickets, apparel, momentos, the works........spent so much money that you would'nt believe......and STILL HAD TO WATCH MY TEAM MOVE TO TENNESSEE........now you tell me that I do not understand the game........for the only thing that I can truly state that has made me truly proud in all of these many years......... was the hard work that I had to put forth in regards to the passing of the sports referendums to build the stadiums so that Houston would not loose it's fabled sports teams........as well as the TEXANS winning the first franchise game against the DALLAS COWBOYS 19-10...... not to mention getting my name placed upon the HOUSTON TEXANS Wall of Honor........honoring all of the first time PSL owners/season ticket holders.....

......sometimes Gary, I think that I have surely seen it all in regards to sports stories within the City of Houston. and I'm still a relatively young guy. That is until the evening that I first saw a highlight reel of VY passing for a winning touchdown while at a playoff game at Madison High School. It was not the same old highlight reel either......for this one stood out from amongst the rest for it contained an all important element that the orthers all seem to lack for whatever reason........IT HAD MAGIC.......

......the kind of magic that can instantly galvanize an entire community into believing.........and then I knew that this kid was special. and so the story goes.........

So whatever your opinions may be.....please believe me that I can and will respect them.......but please don't ever say what VY won't, or cannot do, or may never accomplish within his career......for Vince Young is coming home to Houston........and life begins again......for the EYES OF THE HOUSTON TEXANS ARE NOW EQUALLY UPON HIM......

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

Metropolitantexan,

VY is not ready for the NFL. There, I said it.

VY could become the greatest QB of all time. There, I said that too, are you happy?

Even though you can state both things in the same breath, the fact remains that VY is not what the Texans need right now. Those same "NFL Experts" you mention also say you can't plug VY into a typical NFL offense and expect great things. For VY to become the greatest would require a coach who would hand the keys 100% over to Vince to run an offense that showcases his talent. That requires a total rebuild of a team around Vince, not the other way around. Despite a 2-11 record, the Texans are not a rebuilding team. The owner confirmed that by keeping Casserly, and Casserly is not going to dismantle the team he built for one player. Casserly is going to draft people he feels can help put the Texans into the playoffs next year, and one of those people will be Bush, not Young.

Metro, nice story, but your watching the Oilers since 1983, and having your name etched on a piece of glass are not reasons to draft Young.

FWIW, I got here in 1977, sat in the Dome at midnight in 1980 after a LOSS...and, oh yeah, they etched my name on that piece of glass, too. Does that mean I know more about pro football than you? :lol:

MY LORD GARY.....are you an NFL expert? If so, then the TEXANS ARE HIRING..........

Please allow me the honor of repeating myself, REAL TEXANS BLEED FOOTBALL........so therefore, you may very well rest assured that we have an understanding of the game.......indeed!

I'd have to state that I find it amazing that you have put yourself in position to state that VY is not ready for the NFL........just what are where are your sources? For several NFL experts have already stepped forth to contradict your statements beforehand, and please notice that I did state NFL EXPERTS.

I moved to the city of Houston, TX upon the year of 1983. I very quickly became a Houston Oilers fan, and I do mean die-hard......as in season tickets, apparel, momentos, the works........spent so much money that you would'nt believe......and STILL HAD TO WATCH MY TEAM MOVE TO TENNESSEE........now you tell me that I do not understand the game........for the only thing that I can truly state that has made me truly proud in all of these many years......... was the hard work that I had to put forth in regards to the passing of the sports referendums to build the stadiums so that Houston would not loose it's fabled sports teams........as well as the TEXANS winning the first franchise game against the DALLAS COWBOYS 19-10...... not to mention getting my name placed upon the HOUSTON TEXANS Wall of Honor........honoring all of the first time PSL owners/season ticket holders.....

......sometimes Gary, I think that I have surely seen it all in regards to sports stories within the City of Houston. and I'm still a relatively young guy. That is until the evening that I first saw a highlight reel of VY passing for a winning touchdown while at a playoff game at Madison High School. It was not the same old highlight reel either......for this one stood out from amongst the rest for it contained an all important element that the orthers all seem to lack for whatever reason........IT HAD MAGIC.......

......the kind of magic that can instantly galvanize an entire community into believing.........and then I knew that this kid was special. and so the story goes.........

So whatever your opinions may be.....please believe me that I can and will respect them.......but please don't ever say what VY won't, or cannot do, or may never accomplish within his career......for Vince Young is coming home to Houston........and life begins again......for the EYES OF THE HOUSTON TEXANS ARE NOW EQUALLY UPON HIM......

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

Give me a break, when did I say I was an expert? I will tell you that I played 12 years of Football from elementary through two years of college. That doesn't mean I'm head coaching material but it does mean I understand the fundamentals of the game like many others do. My goodness, It's not rocket science!

Vince Young is a great athlete, no question, however, #1: His arm strength is not that impressive. #2: He carries the ball low when dropping back instead of having the ball at or around his head area. This causes him to be fairly slow with his ball releases and that will get him picked off alot with the speed of the NFL. #3: He's a running quarterback, enough said.

I'm not sure if your arguing out of being biased, or if you really believe that VY would be better for the Texans than Bush. I certainly hope it's the former.

Again let me reiterate, Vince Young is a great athlete and I mean him no disrespect, I'm just trying to follow logic in this argument. Given the Texans situation they would be out of there minds to draft Young.

Edit: I originally posted Bush (last word above) when I meant Young.

Metropolitantexan,

VY is not ready for the NFL. There, I said it.

VY could become the greatest QB of all time. There, I said that too, are you happy?

Even though you can state both things in the same breath, the fact remains that VY is not what the Texans need right now. Those same "NFL Experts" you mention also say you can't plug VY into a typical NFL offense and expect great things. For VY to become the greatest would require a coach who would hand the keys 100% over to Vince to run an offense that showcases his talent. That requires a total rebuild of a team around Vince, not the other way around. Despite a 2-11 record, the Texans are not a rebuilding team. The owner confirmed that by keeping Casserly, and Casserly is not going to dismantle the team he built for one player. Casserly is going to draft people he feels can help put the Texans into the playoffs next year, and one of those people will be Bush, not Young.

Greetings HeightsGuy......

The HOUSTON TEXANS official 2005-06 NFL record is 2-14......please allow it to be etched into your mind.....for this national disgrace has allowed us only one positive accomplishment........the rights to the 2006 first pick.....

Just what is so typical about today's offenses? Welcome to 2006 HG....for we are living in an age of information as well as innovation.......... where any and everything is possible regarding the modern NFL offense........just as long as winning is the overall objective.

HG.....I am mortified! For surely your not stating that the Houston Texans are not in a rebuilding mode......especially after a 2-14 record and the firing of our head coach along with several staff........well if you are, then please allow me the honor of suggesting that you remove your expensive battlered rose colored spectacles........and replace them with REALITY.......for REALITY is the better brand......

Please believe me HG when I state that good old Charlie Casserly is feeling very lucky these days......as in REALLY REALLY LUCKY INDEED!

.......for good old Charlie will never ever draft Bush over Vincent Young.......for even good old Charlie now knows as well as understands, that THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON HIM AS WELL........

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

Greetings HeightsGuy......

The HOUSTON TEXANS official 2005-06 NFL record is 2-14......please allow it to be etched into your mind.....for this national disgrace has allowed us only one positive accomplishment........the rights to the 2006 first pick.....

Just what is so typical about today's offenses? Welcome to 2006 HG....for we are living in an age of information as well as innovation.......... where any and everything is possible regarding the modern NFL offense........just as long as winning is the overall objective.

HG.....I am mortified! For surely your not stating that the Houston Texans are not in a rebuilding mode......especially after a 2-14 record and the firing of our head coach along with several staff........well if you are, then please allow me the honor of suggesting that you remove your expensive battlered rose colored spectacles........and replace them with REALITY.......for REALITY is the better brand......

Please believe me HG when I state that good old Charlie Casserly is feeling very lucky these days......as in REALLY REALLY LUCKY INDEED!

.......for good old Charlie will never ever draft Bush over Vincent Young.......for even good old Charlie now knows as well as understands, that THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON HIM AS WELL........

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

Metro, your a strange dude.

Archived