Taco Stand At 1503-1513 Westheimer Rd.

dbigtex56

18 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

What a bunch of clowns. So why even tear them down?

1. Save some money on property taxes. Not a lot, but some

2. No need to maintain the buildings if they aren't there

3. Owners are not in the property rental business, and don't want to deal with it

4. Reduce liability issues from people squatting or breaking into the buildings.

5. Annoy people who liked the buildings

• Like 2

On 10/19/2022 at 7:59 PM, dbigtex56 said:

This probably makes sense in some investor's mind. All I see is that several fewer inexpensive housing units are available and a storefront is gone, and we'll have a gaping hole in the streetscape until someone decides what to do with it.
That can take years - sometimes decades.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:58 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

What a bunch of clowns. So why even tear them down?

While I'm not 100 percent for sure, it's likely the Taco Stand will occupy one or more of the lots. Most of the properties Bermudez purchases are for his restaurants, bars, or other business ventures.

He's planning an outpost of Taco Stand in Montrose. There's an entity filing and a DBA filing. Both aren't necessarily indicative of a Montrose location. Still, given Bermudez's pattern of scooping up properties and opening his own businesses on them, it wouldn't seem that much of a reach.

I find the press release's timing odd. 1503 Westheimer, 1505 Westheimer, 1509 Westheimer, and 1513 Westheimer were sold in November. The announcement regarding the purchase was released almost a year later.

Maybe Bermudez didn't have plans for the properties last fall, but the entity and DBA filings submitted in July and August suggest that's no longer the case. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 7:59 PM,  dbigtex56 said: 

This probably makes sense in some investor's mind. All I see is that several fewer inexpensive housing units are available and a storefront is gone, and we'll have a gaping hole in the streetscape until someone decides what to do with it.
That can take years - sometimes decades.

this is probably slightly skewed response but bear with me- I  go to a few Montrose TIRZ meetings.  In the beginnings, finding inexpensive housing within Montrose was popular topic. However when TIRZ presented proposal to buy older houses that were apartment units and renovate for that purpose- COH declined- COH didn’t want to sign on for maintenance of those properties. COH suggested new builds. That response dismayed me; I wondered if non functioning Montrose Management District ( usually set for maintaining MTIRZ projects) might have influenced COH decision.

So I guess there are now fewer reasons to keep potential inexpensive living type properties within Montrose…..sigh

New build seem an expensive idea for making inexpensive housing options.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if they still plan to demolish this old house? The demo crew that took down the 3 other houses told me they were going to take it down but they didn't know when. This permit makes it sound they will repurpose it. Isn't Fifth Month owned by Shawn Bermudez?

RW745zM.png
8MO09WV.png

xZp90HJ.png

tI6nSwb.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 2

A filing today with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation for 1503 Westheimer Rd:

Scope of work: convert multi-family apartments to restaurant

The listed name is Fifth Month, but it's possible the name is different. The estimated start is early January 2023. Construction may be completed by early November.

Gage Architecture is designing the restaurant.

• Like 2

I am happy the building will not be torn down. I always had visions that all the old houses along lower Westheimer could be “upcycled”  for variety of purposes and at least be part of a homage  of what Montrose once was. 
I guess I’m sorta bored with a lot of the ubiquitous new builds of late.

• Like 7

On 11/7/2022 at 2:49 PM, hindesky said:

I wonder if they still plan to demolish this old house? The demo crew that took down the 3 other houses told me they were going to take it down but they didn't know when. This permit makes it sound they will repurpose it.

The language in the filing seems to indicate the residence at 1503 Westheimer Rd may likely be repurposed. I suspect Shawn Bermudez and his team will share additional details with CultureMap after the holidays (maybe early spring 2023).

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, hindesky said:

A crew is doing interior demolition. As always these guys have no clue what it will be.

The plan review for 1503 Westheimer Rd was finally approved a few weeks ago. Glad to see work is progressing on the site.

It's possible this could be a Montrose outpost of The Taco Stand. However, Bermudez and team have plans for another new restaurant concept. Perhaps that restaurant is planned for this site? Or maybe The Taco Stand and the new concept will go up here? I suppose we'll find out whenever they're ready to share those details with the general public.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

I was driving by after Bering Rummage sale.

The demo seems to going really slow- I had hopes that they might be salvaged  something that would be restored and displayed  a5 what ever this will be.........?

I thought the adjoining lots might be the Bermudez Taco thingy - this sight seems too small.

9273BCF5-0542-4B60-8E77-0977C7D35598.jpeg

Edited by trymahjong
Had 2 other thoughts I forgot to add
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 1:02 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

It's possible this could be a Montrose outpost of The Taco Stand. However, Bermudez and team have plans for another new restaurant concept. Perhaps that restaurant is planned for this site? Or maybe The Taco Stand and the new concept will go up here? I suppose we'll find out whenever they're ready to share those details with the general public.

In an article announcing Roswell's Saloon, Shawn Bermudez disclosed future concepts and expansions with CultureMap. Bermudez didn't share full details or locations, but he did provide a brief overview of what's in store.

As noted a few weeks ago, 1503 Westheimer could be a Montrose outpost of The Taco Stand or a new restaurant concept from Bermudez and team.

Here's an excerpt from yesterday's CultureMap article:

“We have four more Taco Stands in the works. We have two other full restaurants openings and a dessert concept opening.”

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/roswell-s-saloon-montrose/

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to 1503-1513 Westheimer Rd.
  • 3 weeks later...

On 7/9/2022 at 2:30 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I don't know if all four lots will be one dining concept from Shawn Bermudez or if it will be two. But Bermudez and business partner Matthew Pak are opening a second location of the Taco Stand in Montrose. There aren't any construction filings, business filings, or alcohol permits yet indicating this. I think after all the buildings are demolished, all or part of the sites will become home to the Taco Stand.

On 5/24/2023 at 2:27 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

In an article announcing Roswell's Saloon, Shawn Bermudez disclosed future concepts and expansions with CultureMap. Bermudez didn't share full details or locations, but he did provide a brief overview of what's in store.

As noted a few weeks ago, 1503 Westheimer could be a Montrose outpost of The Taco Stand or a new restaurant concept from Bermudez and team.

Here's an excerpt from yesterday's CultureMap article:

“We have four more Taco Stands in the works. We have two other full restaurants openings and a dessert concept opening.”

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/roswell-s-saloon-montrose/

Below is second-hand information pertaining to 1503 Westheimer Rd.  While it hasn't been confirmed what's planned for the site, this will become another dining concept from Shawn Bermudez (The Burger Joint, The Taco Stand, and Pistolero's). It's possible this may be the site of another outpost of The Taco Stand.

The following was shared by @hindesky in another topic:

12 hours ago, hindesky said:

I talked with the same guy as before, he is an electrician who works on all of Shawn Bermudez projects... He said the two story house on Westheimer and Mulberry next to Pistolero's is probably going to be a Taco Joint.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/47300-2102-n-shepherd-dr/?do=findComment&comment=684552

• Like 1

• 4 months later...