Texas Medical Center Skyline Update

WestGrayGuy

Not a big hole, but a small hole....Can anyone provide information as to why the newly remodeled Valero Cornerstore at Fannin and S. Braeswood was gutted and now sits empty? Are there supposed to be protective fences to keep out riftraft? I noticed for a short time period a sign on the property from "RealAmerica Corp." Who are they? Two years ago, they had a sign on the 4.3 acre University of Houston property, S. Braeswood & Wyndale, which was subsequently taken away after 6 weeks. Any info is appreciated.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be a good place to add any information that comes out on the Methodist expansion up along MD Anderson Boulevard on the way in to Baylor College of Medicine, where the nurses' dormitory has lately been torn down.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=methodist+ho...p;z=19&om=1

Meanwhile, I will mention that if any place is a candidate for robotic parking garages, the Med Center is it.

I'd say yes AND no. It's crazy busy and the wait would be incredibly long and inefficient.

Even for employees who stay there a minimum of 8 hours, it would be a nightmare to get your car in and out of the thing.

If one is to be built, it would probably have to be done valet style for doctors and executives who stay there far longer than your normal 8 hr shift.

• 3 months later...

For those 16 HAIFers quick enough to read this thread before 5:00 AM on Sunday, please note that I've added three more arrows to denote cranes that were in the far background that I hadn't noticed.

I spotted them at the southeast corner of Holcome and Braeswood while driving around just now trying to combat insomnia.

• 3 months later...
The Spires is way off to the right. I'm not quite sure what the short brown building is beyond the two cranes, but I'm guessing it could be Grocer's Supply.

I believe it would be the former Catholic Retirement Home on Almeda now converted to apts. and surrounded by more apts...and more apts...and more...

• Like 1

The Spires is way off to the right. I'm not quite sure what the short brown building is beyond the two cranes, but I'm guessing it could be Grocer's Supply.

Isn't that a part of the "Alta Lofts" (the brown building between the cranes). Part of that apartment complex is an older brown colored highrise that has been converted into lofts.

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I run several times a week around the perimeter of Rice University. I've always wondered if it were possible for the general public to access the stadium and run up/down the steps between the bleachers. I couldn't find a way to get in on Sunday. Does anyone know if this is possible?

• Like 1

They've always had a policy not to allow it, but nobody would ever tell you not to run the stairs if you were out there. I used to run them all the time when I was a student there. If the gates were open, I'd go right in. The gates aren't always open in the football off-season, though. The only time people will yell at you is when you take a dog down on the turf (idiots....).

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to take some photos of various TMC projects today...

Biomedical Science Bldg on the South Campus near the Rec Center.

gallery_4965_83_212827.jpg

Four cranes recently put up at Baylor's new University Hospital site. TMC in background.

gallery_4965_83_74348.jpg

Baylor's Medical Office Building

gallery_4965_83_147310.jpg

I think this is another MD Anderson parking garage.

gallery_4965_83_136896.jpg

gallery_4965_83_194322.jpg

I'm not sure what is going here (probably parking), but they were putting up 2 more cranes today next to McGovern Commons.

gallery_4965_83_98098.jpg

Methodist Clinical Research Center cranes on right.

gallery_4965_83_131257.jpg

Methodist's Outpatient Center in back. It's big.

gallery_4965_83_217155.jpg

Methodist's Smith Tower.

gallery_4965_83_199873.jpg

The Bathers.

gallery_4965_83_50503.jpg

Posterior side of Methodist Outpatient Center (Facing Main St.)

gallery_4965_83_201235.jpg

Fannin Street.

gallery_4965_83_15683.jpg

UT Physicians Tower, Hermann Professional Building, new Heart and Vascular Institute.

gallery_4965_83_110005.jpg

Statue in Weber Plaza, outside UT Med School.

gallery_4965_83_184829.jpg

Good pics, wernicke! I went through there yesterday. Impressive! I particularly noted:

• Memorial Hermman's new pavillion. I didn't realize, from the renderings I had seen, that the first level was open to a courtyard between it and the original building.
  • The Methodist Outpatient Center (pictured). I think they need this. My doc is in Smith Tower (Scurlock? - Oh, hell, I know which garage to park in and how to get in from there). Anyway, there seems to be a real need for space throughout Methodist's professional buildings now. This mega-complex should help.
  • MD Anderson's expansion south of OST. Some nifty stuff going in down there.
  • The Bertner extension across the Bayou. Now that makes sense!

• 4 weeks later...

2469498058_60ab4c73be_b.jpg

took it during a meeting in their 11th floor conference room last Friday... 5 shots from my pocket cam (fuji f20) stitched together, with some generous processing in PS. The stitching could be improved if you care to look closely enough...

Edited by woolie
  • Like 1

2469498058_60ab4c73be_b.jpg

took it during a meeting in their 11th floor conference room last Friday... 5 shots from my pocket cam (fuji f20) stitched together, with some generous processing in PS. The stitching could be improved if you care to look closely enough...

Nice work!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Johnson/Burgee designed the Transco/Williams Tower Water Wall. Philip Johnson is dead, so I kind of doubt it.

I'm pretty sure Johnson/Burgee designed the Transco/Williams Tower Water Wall. Philip Johnson is dead, so I kind of doubt it.

I was correct about Williams Tower Water Wall, but have no idea about the one in TMC and did not even know that it existed until I saw the picture. http://www.flickr.com/photos/everettt/874382885/

• Like 1