Sunset Heights Information & Developments

Guest danax

I would say the occasional fancy car in the bike lane is not nearly as gauche-like as the nearly constant flow of arrogant bike riders ignoring the traffic laws down heights....

You are so right. A lamborghini parked jagged in the bike lane with a license plate that says 100Mil in front of a faux tuscan village is not nearly as gauche as riding your bike in the dedicated bike lane.

You are so right. A lamborghini parked jagged in the bike lane with a license plate that says 100Mil in front of a faux tuscan village is not nearly as gauche as riding your bike in the dedicated bike lane.

I think he meant blowing stop lights while staying in the bike lane.

I would really rather this not turn into a debate about bicyclists on the Boulevard. I'm glad that at least one other person (J008) has noticed the vehicles I'm talking about. I do remember "100MIL" being one of the plates, now that you mention it. Perhaps it is something to do with real estate -- like $100 Million in sales or something.

Surely one of the HAIF investigator types can come up with some more details about what goes on there???

I would really rather this not turn into a debate about bicyclists on the Boulevard. I'm glad that at least one other person (J008) has noticed the vehicles I'm talking about. I do remember "100MIL" being one of the plates, now that you mention it. Perhaps it is something to do with real estate -- like $100 Million in sales or something.

Surely one of the HAIF investigator types can come up with some more details about what goes on there???

There are a couple others like "Res kid" and ".2 Res" that I have stuggled to figure out. Maybe it is like a lawsuit settlement or something ( again any idea that implies receiving a whole lot of cash really quick)

I really don't think they are real estate oriented

1. They'd probably have a sign,

2. They'd probably have some people that are older (everyone appears to be in their 20s-30s)

3. Lamborghini's and Maserati's are a little too high end and impractical for taking clients around.

I should just ask them next time I see them hanging out. This morning they were all playing in the street with their Audi A8 so they are available.

It is rather peculiar.

HCAD shows the house (438 Heights - not the one on the corner, but the house 2 lots south) being owned by Gabriel Arango, a chiropractor. A search on the address on Google turns up the website (resyes.com) for a company called Real Energy Solutions that is involved in the retail electric business. That could explain the license plates above with references to "Res" (Residential). The house on the corner has changed hands (or at least occupants) several times over the past few years - realty, environmental firm, now lawyers. The "fancy" cars at 438 have been around the whole time, and I have seen the drivers go in and out of 438, hence my conclusion they are not related to the bigger house on the corner.

HCAD shows the house (438 Heights - not the one on the corner, but the house 2 lots south) being owned by Gabriel Arango, a chiropractor. A search on the address on Google turns up the website (resyes.com) for a company called Real Energy Solutions that is involved in the retail electric business. That could explain the license plates above with references to "Res" (Residential). The house on the corner has changed hands (or at least occupants) several times over the past few years - realty, environmental firm, now lawyers. The "fancy" cars at 438 have been around the whole time, and I have seen the drivers go in and out of 438, hence my conclusion they are not related to the bigger house on the corner.

Wouldn't "RES" probably be short for Real Energy Solutions?

The cars are great! I haven't seen any of them blocking bike lanes. That's BS. Anyway they would have to be double parked for that to happen. What's wrong with a Lamborgini? It's a cool car. I drive a fast car too, just not that fast.

I also ride my bike on Heights regularly, and yup, I run the red lights, especially at Heights and I-10. I figure since there's no bike lane there anymore, I'm doing everyone a favor by getting out of the way. I also run on the Heights trail and cross 11th St. without waiting for the light or going around the intersection on the walk signs like Ed Gonzalez wants us to do.

All these rules suck. There are a lot of uptight jerks who don't want anyone to enjoy life.

The cars are great! I haven't seen any of them blocking bike lanes. That's BS.

Right, I simply make up things because I hate fun.

I get just as angry at the old trucks parked in the bike lane waiting to pick someone up at the apartments between 6th and 7th.

Usually these guys block the bike lane by parking at a sharp angle leaving most of the car in the bike lane, parking in the no-parking zone in front of the bus stop is just a given, but since it doesn't really affect me I don't care.

I love cool cars and fast ones too, but there is something particularly distasteful about an expensive car in a handicap spot (I see this alot in Greenway plaza but since you didn't it has never happened) or parked on a sidewalk or bikelane. What is a $100 ticket to someone who can afford a $200,000 car?

Right, I simply make up things because I hate fun.

I get just as angry at the old trucks parked in the bike lane waiting to pick someone up at the apartments between 6th and 7th.

Usually these guys block the bike lane by parking at a sharp angle leaving most of the car in the bike lane, parking in the no-parking zone in front of the bus stop is just a given, but since it doesn't really affect me I don't care.

I love cool cars and fast ones too, but there is something particularly distasteful about an expensive car in a handicap spot (I see this alot in Greenway plaza but since you didn't it has never happened) or parked on a sidewalk or bikelane. What is a $100 ticket to someone who can afford a $200,000 car?

Ugh- I know a guy whose best buddy is an MD and got him a handicap tag. Infuriating. If you can afford that car, you can apparently afford to break all the rules...

Come on, man. Why you keep hatin' on my ride?

• 1 year later...

Heard that some people got a letter from the City about finding carcinogens in the area. Very short on details from the person who heard about the letter. My guess is that the old steel plant left something behind on the large lot between Nicholson and Ashland on 25th. The lot is for sale again after a townhome developer was supposed to do something there. Anyone know what is going on?

I got one of the letters.  It was a "public meeting notice".  I did not attend, but it was scheduled for January 24th. 

The stated issue was a request for an MSD on the site by a party called Heights Block 39, LLC.  The underlying issue was groundwater contamination by various chloroethenes. 

I don't completely understand the MSD thing, but it appears that such a designation would limit the owner's liability for historic contamination.  The owner will still have to clean up the site, but not to the extent of making the groundwater potable. 

I didn't attend because it seemed like a non-issue to me. 

I got one of the letters.  It was a "public meeting notice".  I did not attend, but it was scheduled for January 24th. 

The stated issue was a request for an MSD on the site by a party called Heights Block 39, LLC.  The underlying issue was groundwater contamination by various chloroethenes. 

I don't completely understand the MSD thing, but it appears that such a designation would limit the owner's liability for historic contamination.  The owner will still have to clean up the site, but not to the extent of making the groundwater potable. 

I didn't attend because it seemed like a non-issue to me. 

The site must have made PVC pipe as some point.

MSD is a Municipal Settings Designation. It basically lets the municpality permanently declare the ground water at a certain location to be non-potable and restrict any future use of the ground water for drinking water. With that designation, the conatmination does not have to be remediated to drinking water quality. The Houston area switched to using reservoirs (Lake Houston and Conroe) for drinking water as using ground water was causing subsidence that was making Houston a big bowl that held in flood waters.

I guess this must mean that something is about to move forward with at least the giant lot on 25th between Nicholson and Ashland. Heights Block 39, LLC is the owner of that lot.

Protection/maintenance of the historical levels of contamination seems like a good idea to preserve the nature and character of Sunset Heights.

I get it. You do not like the historic districts. You don't have to post your opinion in every thread.

I get it. You do not like the historic districts. You don't have to post your opinion in every thread.

Pot meet kettle...

I'm curious to see what happens on this site.  Where could one find information about costs for soil remediation anyway?  (there is an old service station i know of that would make a great coffee shop)

Pot meet kettle...

I'm curious to see what happens on this site.  Where could one find information about costs for soil remediation anyway?  (there is an old service station i know of that would make a great coffee shop)

Kettle meet stove.

There are lots of environmental remediation companies in town that you can call to get a very wide ball park estimate of what it would cost to repurpose a gas station. Without an environmental survey and some sampling, it would just be something more than a blind guess.

• 4 months later...

Not breaking news as the sewer/water lines have been put in recently and a sign has been up for a while.  But, I just noticed that they put up information on the configuration of the community and the models they are building:  http://www.intown-homes.com/Csiteplan.aspx?idcia=101&webcia=(101)&wlink=163

63 units, 2100-2700 sq ft.  "From the 350s".  Communtiy pool.

Weekley has two similar projects going up at 6th and Shep and TC Jester in Cottage Grove.  Ryland Homes has a big project in Shady Acres on W 26th (the "Reserve").  Probably will end up with close to an additional 200-250 town homes between those three projects (there is also supposed to be another big InTown project on 11th @ Ella, but not sure how big it will be).  All that in addition to lots of town home building in Shady Acres and Cottage Grove. 

I know a lot of people are getting priced out of single family homes in the greater Heights and are looking at town homes instead.  Frank Liu has mostly sold out all of his inner loop developments.  I just wonder whether demand is great enough to see more of these projects (like on the old steel mill site on 25th/Rutland or out west around 11th and Ella in the declining industrial area) or whether some equilibrium will set in with enough turnover in existing town homes to keep the big players from doing more big projects.  Town homes are not for everyone and are priced at what a typical 3000 sq ft home in the burbs are going for.

It may seem trite, but if the demand wasn't there, the builders wouldn't be building them. When the two options in the Heights are old non-remodeled homes in the Heights versus new townhomes nearby, you'll likely find a much bigger market for the new and clean over the old and needing renovation. It takes a special breed to redo these old homes, especially in light of the added time and red tape that we now have. For proof, look at the price renovated homes command over non.

I know a lot of people are getting priced out of single family homes in the greater Heights and are looking at town homes instead.  Frank Liu has mostly sold out all of his inner loop developments.  I just wonder whether demand is great enough to see more of these projects (like on the old steel mill site on 25th/Rutland or out west around 11th and Ella in the declining industrial area) or whether some equilibrium will set in with enough turnover in existing town homes to keep the big players from doing more big projects.  Town homes are not for everyone and are priced at what a typical 3000 sq ft home in the burbs are going for.

You're right about price inflation for single family homes. New-build 3/2's <2500 s.f. now start over $500k. The 6 houses going up on 18th near Ashland will be priced from $700 to $900k.  For example: http://search.har.com/engine/418-W-18th-Houston-77008_HAR72446627.htm (priced at $300/s.f.).  

I'm guessing a lot of townhouse buyers are looking at Shady Acres and the fringes of the Heights because they've been priced out of Montrose and Rice Military, where 3-BR townhouses are approaching $500k.

That said, the demographic in the townhouse market is different than that for the single family market.  Most couples prefer to leave the townhouse before the 2nd kid arrives (usually before the 1st, really).

Ultimately, developers will have to decide whether it's easier to sell, say 12 townhouses at $350k, or 4 single family at $700k.  I think the market in most of the Heights (say, at least one block from Shepherd or Main, at least 3 blocks from I-10 or 610), will still support single family over townhouses, but I don't see the market remaining virtually 100% single family as it was up until a few years ago.

My dream buyer of the double-block bordered by Nicholson, Rutland, 25th and 26th would be someone like Sullivan Brothers.  Their large projects on 17th and 23rd are both finishing up, and look great.

It may seem trite, but if the demand wasn't there, the builders wouldn't be building them. When the two options in the Heights are old non-remodeled homes in the Heights versus new townhomes nearby, you'll likely find a much bigger market for the new and clean over the old and needing renovation. It takes a special breed to redo these old homes, especially in light of the added time and red tape that we now have. For proof, look at the price renovated homes command over non.

Never said demand wasn't there to support what is currently going up.  I am just wondering whether the big influx of @200 new town homes will bring some equilibrium to the market or whether demand is so great that builders will continue to do big 50-60 unit townhome developments.  There are definitely opportunities as the area west of Timbergrove de-industrializes along with a few spots in Heights proper.  But, to date, townhome development has been a steady stream small developments and not a big wave of large developments (in addition to the existing market).  It will be interesting to see whether the market digests the influx and has hunger for more or whether supply will finally catch up with demand.

The options in the Heights proper are whether you want to pay a lot of money or a ton of money.  350k will get a bungalow that needs extensive renovation and a bidding war with investors and builders.  Move in ready properties are pushing 400k.  The issue of the HAHC doesn't come up because people are priced out the market before they ever get a property to take to the HAHC.  If 300-350k is your max, you are basically priced out of the Heights proper, especially if you want more than 1200 sq ft. 

You're right about price inflation for single family homes. New-build 3/2's <2500 s.f. now start over $500k. The 6 houses going up on 18th near Ashland will be priced from $700 to $900k.  For example: http://search.har.com/engine/418-W-18th-Houston-77008_HAR72446627.htm (priced at $300/s.f.).  

I'm guessing a lot of townhouse buyers are looking at Shady Acres and the fringes of the Heights because they've been priced out of Montrose and Rice Military, where 3-BR townhouses are approaching $500k.

That said, the demographic in the townhouse market is different than that for the single family market.  Most couples prefer to leave the townhouse before the 2nd kid arrives (usually before the 1st, really).

Ultimately, developers will have to decide whether it's easier to sell, say 12 townhouses at $350k, or 4 single family at $700k.  I think the market in most of the Heights (say, at least one block from Shepherd or Main, at least 3 blocks from I-10 or 610), will still support single family over townhouses, but I don't see the market remaining virtually 100% single family as it was up until a few years ago.

My dream buyer of the double-block bordered by Nicholson, Rutland, 25th and 26th would be someone like Sullivan Brothers.  Their large projects on 17th and 23rd are both finishing up, and look great.

The InTown Homes Sunset Heights is right in the shadow of 610 (barely a half block).  That would probably militate towards town homes than high-end single family.  Rutland/25th has enough of a buffer between it and 610 that it wouldn't be as big of a concern.  I thought someone was moving ahead on developing Rutland and 25th, but have not seen any signs in a long time. 

I do know a lot of couples who fall out of love with their town homes when kids arrive.  Pregnant moms and babies/toddlers do not go well with three sets of stairs.  But I also know couples who regret their move to the burbs as the commute eats up a lot of family time.  Weekley, InTown and Ryland look to be offering some community amenities (pool, at least) and have interior streets that are free of neighborhood traffic.  They may be a bit more family friendly than the little honeycombs of town homes squeezed in between warehouses and teardowns in Shady Acres.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Remodeling In Sunset Heights
  • The title was changed to Sunset Heights Information & Developments

Archived