Furniture Showroom At 2222 Westheimer Rd.

17 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Hmmm... so, what is it that you are going to report to Public Works?  FWIW. I don't think this property is in the UKMD.

It is, I walk by it daily after grabbing coffee at DUO. I'm not a fan of the "pedestrian buffer.' I think all it does is prevents drivers from being able to see pedestrians. I'm all for trees with grates, how UK has them currently. I think both the planning dept and public works need to be aware of this design flaw. It looks good on paper but it's not practical. Planters make more sense then a bunch of mulch. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

29 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It is, I walk by it daily after grabbing coffee at DUO. I'm not a fan of the "pedestrian buffer.' I think all it does is prevents drivers from being able to see pedestrians. I'm all for trees with grates, how UK has them currently. I think both the planning dept and public works need to be aware of this design flaw. It looks good on paper but it's not practical. Planters make more sense then a bunch of mulch. 

Per the map on their website, the UKMD only includes the south side of Westheimer, but they do seem to have followed the UK design as they re-did Westheimer (and have the UK street signs) on the north side.  FWIW, I like this better than the sidewalks half-blocked by trees.  Love street trees and love sidewalks, but if they're going to plant trees and place light poles in the sidewalks, they need to make the sidewalks that much wider.

On the Kirby part of Upper Kirby, they have pedestrian buffers, more like 2222 Westheimer.

Edited by Houston19514

9 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Per the map on their website, the UKMD only includes the south side of Westheimer.

Trust me it is, I live here. That website is never updated and they also never let the neighborhood know when they have meetings. When they do they're all scheduled on Mondays at Noon. UKMD literally rebuilt this entire section of Westheimer just a little over 10 years ago so it's in their maintenance borders. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

52 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Trust me it is, I live here. That website is never updated and they also never let the neighborhood know when they have meetings. When they do they're all scheduled on Mondays at Noon. UKMD literally rebuilt this entire section of Westheimer just a little over 10 years ago so it's in their maintenance borders. 

The legal description from the formation of the district, and the official maps in the various amendments and legal documents show that the subject property (2222 Westheimer) is not part of the UKMD. That's probably why UKMD didn't do to these sidewalks what they did to the other sidewalks when this section of Westheimer was rebuilt.  https://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirzdocs/19/boundary2015.pdf

https://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirzdocs/19/boundary2015.pdf

https://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirzdocs/19/creation.pdf

Screenshot2023-12-28at1_26_32PM.png.5da8194f052b9c2ff574eb8a4daa022b.png

Edited by Houston19514

9 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

The legal description from the formation of the district, and the official maps in the various amendments and legal documents show that the subject property (2222 Westheimer) is not part of the UKMD. That's probably why UKMD didn't do to these sidewalks what they did to the other sidewalks when this section of Westheimer was rebuilt.  https://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirzdocs/19/boundary2015.pdf

https://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirzdocs/19/creation.pdf

Screenshot2023-12-28at1_26_32PM.png.5da8194f052b9c2ff574eb8a4daa022b.png

Dude I'm not sure what you're trying to prove but I've already talked to Lee Cisneros who is the head of the capital improvement projects for the neighborhood and it's definitely part of UKMD. It was one of the main capital improvement projects for the neighborhood. Not sure why you're showing me an old map from 2015. The UK maintenance team manages that whole stretch of Westheimer along with any signage for the district. All you have to do is look at the signs that say Upper Kirby.

Edited by j_cuevas713

9 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Dude I'm not sure what you're trying to prove but I've already talked to Lee Cisneros who is the head of the capital improvement projects for the neighborhood and it's definitely part of UKMD. It was one of the main capital improvement projects for the neighborhood. Not sure why you're showing me an old map from 2015. 

Lee should check his legal documents.  ;-)  2222 Westheimer is not in the district.  Technically, I think we may both be right.  The district ends at the northern right-of-way line of Westheimer Road, but the property itself is not in the district.  I showed you a map from 2015 because, per the city, that is it the last time the district's boundaries were expanded.  Here's the City's map of the district from 2022.

https://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirzmaps/maps/tirz_19.pdf

Edited by Houston19514

5 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Lee should check his legal documents.  ;-)  2222 Westheimer is not in the district.  Technically, I think we may both be right.  The district ends at the northern right-of-way line of Westheimer Road, but the property itself is not in the district.

If we're strictly talking about the property line, sure, but the ROW shouldn't change. If anything the property should align itself with the current ROW design, not revert to the design standards just because it new construction. That's really my only point. If ANYTHING, what should happen is the business should increase the pedestrian realm and add a door on the Westheimer side instead of damn near 10 feet of plants. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

21 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

If we're strictly talking about the property line, sure, but the ROW shouldn't change. If anything the property should align itself with the current ROW design, not revert to the design standards just because it new construction. That's really my only point. If ANYTHING, what should happen is the business should increase the pedestrian realm and add a door on the Westheimer side instead of damn near 10 feet of plants. 

Agreed, a door on the Westheimer side would have been good.  But they may not have followed the UKMD sidewalk design for Westheimer because it sucks.  A 5-foot-wide sidewalk (and I presume 2222 Westheimer's are 6-feet wide) with pedestrian buffer is better urban/pedestrian design than a 5- or 6-foot wide sidewalk with trees and light poles plopped in the middle of it. I've never understood why they did Westheimer sidewalks the way they did.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Agreed, a door on the Westheimer side would have been good.  But they may not have followed the UKMD sidewalk design for Westheimer because it sucks.  A 5-foot-wide sidewalk (and I presume 2222 Westheimer's are 6-feet wide) with pedestrian buffer is better urban/pedestrian design than a 5- or 6-foot wide sidewalk with trees and light poles plopped in the middle of it. I've never understood why they did Westheimer sidewalks the way they did.

Ehh we can agree to disagree on that 

1 hour ago, Amlaham said:

UK signage North of Westheimer and outside of the zone suggested above. @j_cuevas713 is correct. 

ScreenShot2023-12-28at3_32_16PM.png.2f0c212d0aff20d71b8e3dbb54038557.png

You are a little late to the party. ^_^ I already noted that the UKMD extends to the north right-of-way line of Westheimer, which would include the street sign. At this location, the property itself (everything north of the Westheimer right-of-way) is not in the district.

Edited by Houston19514

8 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

You are a little late to the party. ^_^ I already noted that the UKMD extends to the north right-of-way line of Westheimer, which would include the street sign. At this location, the property itself (everything north of the Westheimer right-of-way) is not in the district.

Did I ask? Stop trying so hard to seek validation, this entire page is you just going back and forth with others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...