Hike And Bike Bridge Over White Oak Bayou Is Burning

s3mh

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, wilcal said:

I'm pretty sure there is already a plan to build a bridge near Patterson. I honestly don't remember whose plan it is at this point lol.

Definitely! It’s been planned for a long time. It’s even part of the Houston bike plan. But with no timeline or funding.  We’re working to tell the city it’s time to fund it and build it

• Like 3

11 hours ago, emmanume said:

Definitely! It’s been planned for a long time. It’s even part of the Houston bike plan. But with no timeline or funding.  We’re working to tell the city it’s time to fund it and build it

It appears that this is a TxDOT project that did receive funding for the 2022 FY via HGAC's call for projects in 2018.

It is project number 267 from this list (it is on page 2).

Here is the application page.

I just sent a few emails to see what the deal is. 

Edit: brief update, the Cohn to Memorial Park connector had their funding pushed back to FY 2023 because of some HGAC timing thing, so this may be a similar situation. They were allocated $2.4 million in matching funds to pay for this project, though. 

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2022 at 9:18 AM, wilcal said:

It appears that this is a TxDOT project that did receive funding for the 2022 FY via HGAC's call for projects in 2018.

It is project number 267 from this list (it is on page 2).

Here is the application page.

I just sent a few emails to see what the deal is. 

Edit: brief update, the Cohn to Memorial Park connector had their funding pushed back to FY 2023 because of some HGAC timing thing, so this may be a similar situation. They were allocated $2.4 million in matching funds to pay for this project, though. 

@emmanume I completely forgot to give you a ring last night! I'm so sorry. We can touch base this weekend.

I do have some good news, this TxDOT project is still on, but it has been bumped back to Fiscal Year 2024 and is funded.

I know we are in a tangentially related thread, but this is the location of the connector I was referencing:

PRxEPUr.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Very happy that this is finally finished and cannot wait for the other connector to Stude Park to get done.  It looks like they are making good progress on that connector.  

But gotta say that this took way too long.  This was basically a three month job that took almost two years.  If this bridge was for vehicular traffic for a busy street, emergency repairs would have probably taken a few weeks if not faster.  

• Like 5

I could see it collecting a lot of debris during a flood and creating a dam that will back up water. Don't want be a Debbie downer cause I'm glad they fixed it but if any funds can be allocated to reduce the amount of columns would be much better.

u0Hjju5.png

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

I could see it collecting a lot of debris during a flood and creating a dam that will back up water. Don't want be a Debbie downer cause I'm glad they fixed it but if any funds can be allocated to reduce the amount of columns would be much better.

u0Hjju5.png

I was told by a Flood Control District engineer a number of years ago that they can't make changes to bridges without doing a full study of the impacts on downstream areas.  That's why the old rail bridge is still there next to Yale. No one wants to pay for those studies. I do know that when the rail bridge near TC Jester was replaced with a pedestrian bridge, the new one has fewer columns. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7757471,-95.3987204,100m/data=!3m1!1e3

@Ross This indicates to me they must have done a study to the abandoned R.R bridge on Yale if they plan to remove it for the North Canal project. Why wouldn't they have done one for the MKT bridge too? Maybe the one hand (FEMA) hasn't spoken to the other hand (COH/Parks Board)?

As the the pic says this is a "Preliminary design - Plans subject to change".  Budget is $131,071,815. Surely they will have increase this budget due to inflation.

https://www.engagehouston.org/northcanal

bFI7JHH.png 

wuLqsJt.jpg

Edited by hindesky

39 minutes ago, hindesky said:

@Ross This indicates to me they must have done a study to the abandoned R.R bridge on Yale if they plan to remove it for the North Canal project. Why wouldn't they have done one for the MKT bridge too? Maybe the one hand (FEMA) hasn't spoken to the other hand (COH/Parks Board)?

As the the pic says this is a "Preliminary design - Plans subject to change".  Budget is $131,071,815. Surely they will have increase this budget due to inflation.

https://www.engagehouston.org/northcanal

bFI7JHH.png 

wuLqsJt.jpg

Who knows how the ovoid wheels of government turn? I am going to guess that the North Canal Project had money to handle all of the studies, while the MKT bridge was a "let's get this thing fixed for as little cash as possible" sort of thing.

The railroad bridge next to the Yale bridge is bizarre, sitting there with nothing connected. I will be glad to see it go away. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Hike And Bike Bridge Over White Oak Bayou Is Burning