Brokeback Mountain

aberdeen12

You know, if Brokeback Mountain was about two hot, chic sheep-farmers..

That was "Cold Mountain". I didn't go see THAT at the theaters either. I have seen it a couple of times at home though. A 30ft. naked Nicole Kidman on the big screen though, it might have been worth it. :D

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Greetings great pals....

Just what is it about this particular movie? I really tried hard not to post anything regarding my thoughts after viewing this movie........and I would have to guess that it is simply because I just have not figured it out as of yet.......

To answer the question you posed above, may I respectfully suggest that you go see the movie again ....

There are so many layers and nuances to this movie that it is easy to miss key elements the first time around. Some of the early dialogue about their childhood days is crucial to the character formation for the rest of the film. There is also a TON of symbolism throughout (like the black and white cowboy hats) - I didn't get most of it until my 3rd viewing.

Thanks for such a well thought out post!

This article link is the best I've seen yet on this movie ... and it was written by a STRAIGHT guy, if that matters to any of you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11102003/

BIG THANKS GoATOMIC! ........for the heads-up on the article from Eric Lundegaard, MSNBC.....

I found his perspective enlightning, insightful, and liberally thorough. Also, you were correct regarding your previous post in stating about the "layers and nuances" throughout this movie.......for now I think that I will go and see it once more.......for who knows, it just may finally complete me........

Metropolitantexan

Vince Young is coming home to play...

To answer the question you posed above, may I respectfully suggest that you go see the movie again ....

There are so many layers and nuances to this movie that it is easy to miss key elements the first time around. Some of the early dialogue about their childhood days is crucial to the character formation for the rest of the film. There is also a TON of symbolism throughout (like the black and white cowboy hats) - I didn't get most of it until my 3rd viewing.

Thanks for such a well thought out post!

Although I've seen the movie only once, certain scenes come back to me, and make sense in retrospect. For example, when Ennis and Jack are driving the sheep to another pasture, Jack is carrying one of them. Why? No explanation is given, yet the symbolism makes sense when the movie is viewed in its totality. Ennis is like that sheep *. And Jack's wife! It's as if every time she took her hair a shade lighter, a bit ouf humanity was sucked out of her, too. She was quite blonde at the end...

The MSNBC reviewer is correct when he says that the more specific the story, the more universal it becomes. Speculations about how the story would have played out with charactors of different genders or orientations are useless. It's like saying, if you changed a couple of Greta Garbo's genes, would she still have been pretty?

People who haven't seen this movie often seem to think that it's "pro-gay". I didn't get that impression at all - in fact, to my great discomfort, some of the anti-gay rhetoric that people spout is given validity. It challenged my beliefs by raising intriguing and difficult moral questions.

Some people won't especially like this movie. Some people didn't especially enjoy analyzing stories in high school English class, either. Call me a nerd, I liked both.

*If someone wants to make an idiot of himself, giggle about the sheep reference.

People who haven't seen this movie often seem to think that it's "pro-gay". I didn't get that impression at all - in fact, to my great discomfort, some of the anti-gay rhetoric that people spout is given validity. It challenged my beliefs by raising intriguing and difficult moral questions.

I'm going to go out on a limb here ... I truly believe that this movie is redefining the concept of 'gay'.

It is doing this by first capturing broad public interest in the main characters, then completely shattering every related stereotype of them as gay men, and finally, by showing them to be what they really are - two people who simply are in love with each other and just want to be together.

Just my opinion ...

by showing them to be what they really are -

Cheaters

The main characters were cheaters allright - cheating with their wives on each other.

Sure, that's an unconventional view, but illustrates the tough questions this movie brings to the surface. The lead characters should have been together (as they were before they were married), but the constraints of society said 'no way'. So they tried to conform to what society said they should do, by marrying women and having children, and in the process cheated each other out of the life they could have, should have had together. A life, based on their love for one another, that wouldn't have harmed anyone if they had chosen it.

"But it was their choice to get married" ....

Was it really? Did they have any option if one or both of them lived in fear that 'society' could at some point violently take away what they had together simply because their mutual feelings didn't fit the within a narrowly constrained definition of love between two people?

In reality, wasn't their (societal) choice at the time either to have a traditional family or go it alone for the rest of their lives, but either way to never, never tip their hand publicly to their true relationship?

Some choice, to either live a lie or to live a bigger lie ...

The main characters were cheaters allright - cheating with their wives on each other.

Sure, that's an unconventional view, but illustrates the tough questions this movie brings to the surface. The lead characters should have been together (as they were before they were married), but the constraints of society said 'no way'. So they tried to conform to what society said they should do, by marrying women and having children, and in the process cheated each other out of the life they could have, should have had together. A life, based on their love for one another, that wouldn't have harmed anyone if they had chosen it.

"But it was their choice to get married" ....

Was it really? Did they have any option if one or both of them lived in fear that 'society' could at some point violently take away what they had together simply because their mutual feelings didn't fit the within a narrowly constrained definition of love between two people?

In reality, wasn't their (societal) choice at the time either to have a traditional family or go it alone for the rest of their lives, but either way to never, never tip their hand publicly to their true relationship?

Some choice, to either live a lie or to live a bigger lie ...

So, THEY were the only 2 "GAY" cowboys in Montana, well that settles everything ? That is another movie in itself.

• 2 weeks later...

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/celebrities/3660303.html

The first song ever about gay cowboys has been released by none other than country legend Willie Nelson. He recorded it well before Brokeback Mountain was released, but I guess now that the film was released, the powers that be decided that there should be a song out there that gay cowboys across the country deserve an anthem they can be proud of :)

The first song ever about gay cowboys has been released by none other than country legend Willie Nelson. He recorded it well before Brokeback Mountain was released, but I guess now that the film was released, the powers that be decided that there should be a song out there that gay cowboys across the country deserve an anthem they can be proud of :)

How I wounder if he is gay. Has he ever really been linked to a woman for more then ... well heck I realy don't know, but I am asking?

WHEW ! You scared me there for a second DJ V, I thought the song was gonna be his "Poncho and Lefty " duet. Dodged a bullet there. :blink:

Archived