Jump to content

I-45 Rebuild (North Houston Highway Improvement Project)


Recommended Posts

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the cap parks being built and implemented. I think they should also look into capping 59 between Elgin and McGowen and  I-10/(and future I-45) between McKnee and the rail line, but I'll take what we can get. 

 

Also, might be an unpopular opinion, but am I the only one who doesn't see the point of the I-10 express lane continuing past downtown, especially when all of the other HOV/express lanes end downtown? I feel like they'd have less ROW to take if they had I-45 run where the express lanes should be, and just have the I-10 express lanes intertwine with 45's express lanes.

Edited by Some one
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 10:43 AM, hindesky said:

This what I'm hoping we get with the topping of the midtown area and the GRB area with IH69/59.

 

whe6J1v.png

 

 

Wow I had to do a double take. This looks super similar to our N Main area.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Triton said:

Wow I had to do a double take. This looks super similar to our N Main area.

Funnily enough, there are also plans to cap 45 under N Main too. I think once it's done, it's gonna look similar to this.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Saw this at Cleburne St. bounded by La branch St and Eagle St. Looks like a TXDOT construction offices. It's been fenced off for a long time to move out the homeless in preparation of the Super Bowl Houston had several years ago. It has two gates, one on Cleburne St and the other on La Branch.

Sxstjyw.jpeg

2JRQTlr.jpeg

fbLhuC6.jpeg

mlqTbvl.jpeg

2XDv0QX.jpeg

7HrTAWZ.png

IDwNkkf.png

SHblU5K.png

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I found 2 of the buildings that will be demolished for the sunken portion of IH69. Plumbing demo was done.

The first building is the old Alexander the Great Chapter 29 Order of AHEPA.

https://www.ahepa29.org

r7mrpWb.jpeg

QNihRTa.jpeg

DFjzCnw.jpeg

 

The second building was the old Nurses Night and Day.

https://carelistings.com/home-health-agencies/houston-tx/nurses-night-and-day-inc/5ace894493efd2372f995d58

hnaKDrG.jpeg

Da5MxRm.jpeg

mbgvUcm.jpeg

Un8atIw.jpeg

r76sYaT.jpeg

YDuq8X8.jpeg

 

 

 

 

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Kind of an interesting aside....

Was in Austin this past weekend for the eclipse and it donned on me that the massive I-35 rebuild will start in Austin along the same timeline that the Houston I-45 rebuild will start. It's sort of wild to think two major cities not that far apart will have complete makeovers at the same time. 

Also driving through Austin, it is wild to see just have fast that city is transforming. So many new skyscrapers under construction.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Triton said:

Kind of an interesting aside....

Was in Austin this past weekend for the eclipse and it donned on me that the massive I-35 rebuild will start in Austin along the same timeline that the Houston I-45 rebuild will start. It's sort of wild to think two major cities not that far apart will have complete makeovers at the same time. 

Also driving through Austin, it is wild to see just have fast that city is transforming. So many new skyscrapers under construction.

Austin has the highest multifamily construction pace in the country by quite a wide margin.

Absolutely insane that they're widening the moat between downtown and the east side, but that's TXDoT for you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read that the cap parks in Austin will be paid by the city of Austin but mostly UT. If all goes accordingly, their cap park will be about 17 acres. I know we're in a similar boat, but I feel like we have a lot of big donors in this city (think memorial park). So I really hope some of them will step in and help foot the bill to make our little cap parks outstanding.

In terms of the potential cap parks themselves, this would be a huge opportunity to create something completely unique to Houston on potential thee most prime lot in all of Houston. 

Very wishful thinking, but imagine if the convention center could eventually make a connection from discovery green to the potential cap park. 

Extremely wishful thinking, the park could look like this. In a city that gets this hot, we definitely need more interactive water features (the one in discovery green is way way too small for how packed it gets). 

image.png.621724379b9d4ec02f9445d786764fd2.png

image.png.0ddda873334dc436802bdcb63764f5fe.png

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Absolutely insane that they're widening the moat between downtown and the east side

They pretty much have to. I-35 is an undrivable mess most of the day, and hasn't had any work done in well over 30 years, when they double decked the freeway in 1975, other than removing some of the exits for the lower deck because traffic made it too dangerous to keep them. It's a freeway built to 60s standards handling 2020s traffic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Big E said:

They pretty much have to. I-35 is an undrivable mess most of the day, and hasn't had any work done in well over 30 years, when they double decked the freeway in 1975, other than removing some of the exits for the lower deck because traffic made it too dangerous to keep them. It's a freeway built to 60s standards handling 2020s traffic.

Kinda like I-45 in central Houston...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just so we're clear: we're talking about two already-ultra-massive highways that cut right through city centers. And we'll probably have the same conversation 30 years after they're done with these projects.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...