Retail Center At 373-375 W. 19th St.

Urbannizer

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, EllenOlenska said:

People who don't just go to fat cat flummox me. 

i love them as a thing and i love ice cream and i go to them when their softserve pairing sounds good, but my preference is always chocolate ice cream, and they have the weakest/worst chocolate ice cream of any small parlor i've ever been to, like, blue bell's dutch chocolate is stronger.  So my preference is just to buy the central market small batch and stay at home.  The central market small batch is also 100% better than Jeni's and literally half the price, so this new doesn't do much for me. 

• 2 months later...

Originally posted April 23, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. 

On 4/16/2019 at 1:18 PM, Urbannizer said:

A full sized rendering of 373 W 19th St - 375 W 19th St in the Heights, Houston.

Radom Capitol purchased the buildings at 373 W 19th St - 375 W 19th St earlier this year. 

The rendering is from the brochure.

w3wUW1C.jpg

Originally posted April 23, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. 

On 4/16/2019 at 1:18 PM, Urbannizer said:

Radom Capitol is renovating the buildings at 373 W 19th St - 375 W 19th St. The developer purchased the buildings earlier this year. 

From the Loopnet listing:

About  373-375 W 19th St , Houston, TX 77008

Gross Leasable Area     6,600 SF
Property Type     Retail     
Year Built     1921

Under renovations! Retail and office space available at historic 375 W 19th Street.

The listing shows the former Gen's Antiques space available for retail use.

Also the 2nd floor has office/service spaces available at historic 375 W 19th Street.  Available all (3,824 SF entire floor) or part (from 681 SF up).  Renovations currently underway. 

8pBUlVR.jpg

Site plan

OQC7VfT.jpg

Level 1 - : 5,773 sf of retail  and restaurant space

a3wNep3.jpg

Level 2

csQkSsR.jpg

Radom Capitol is renovating the buildings at 373 W 19th St - 375 W 19th St. The developer purchased the buildings earlier this year. 

The building listed on Radom Capitol's website:

https://www.radomcapital.com/375-west-19th-street

Brochure:
https://11972848-173e-4159-8117-1eface4fec53.filesusr.com/ugd/8bb064_281b4f47f810432bbda9e95095e8a819.pdf (archive link (reupped))

From the website:

375 West 19th Street

A 1920 classic thoughtfully reinvigorated to anchor one of Houston's most exciting and eclectic streets.

Renovation progress pictures from Loopnet of  373 W 19th St - 375 W 19th St in the Heights, Houston.

5S8PrUe.jpg

qNsFoVi.jpg

TYAvq3b.jpg

bLzshUa.jpg

WsWZeTR.jpg

nSw2Nmd.jpg

v5o1a2A.jpg

Originally posted August  28, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. 

Carter & Cooley Co. Delicatessen announced it's closing its current location at 375 W 19th St in an Instagram story today . The new location will be announced soon.

From The Leader this evening:

Carter & Cooley Company Delicatessen, which has been open since 1989 at 375 W. 19th St., will close Saturday afternoon. Owner Neil Sackheim said Wednesday that he is retiring and granting ownership rights to two of the deli’s longtime managers, who he said will not be able to operate at the same location.

Sackheim said Carter & Cooley, which will be open every day leading up to Saturday, plans to be open from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. or “until we run out of food” on its final day.

“We’ve been working to keep this modest. I’m not trying to conjure up any sympathy or any sort of emotional outburst,” Sackheim said. “It’s not the end.”

Sackheim said he hopes to help the aforementioned managers — Charles Salas and Zena Cortez — reopen the deli at a new location in the Heights within three to six months. Per the lease he signed with Heights developer Radom Capital LLC, which purchased the property from Sackheim last October, he said the restaurant cannot remain there without him.

So it’s the end of an era at the corner of 19th and Ashland Street, where the two-story, 9,703-square foot building has stood since the 1920s. The seven other tenants who leased spaces from Sackheim have vacated since he sold the building to Radom Capital, which has remodeled the property and is securing new tenants.

Here's what' moving into the Carter & Cooley Co.'s space:

According to permitting documents on the City of Houston website, Ohio-based Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams is named as an occupant for 375 W. 19th St.

https://theleadernews.com/carter-cooley-deli-to-close-this-weekend/

Originally posted September  6, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. 

More on the closing of Carter & Cooley Company at  375 W. 19th St in the Heights ( Houston ) . The deli and restaurant is relocating. Removal of fixtures and memorabilia have been posted to their Instagram story every day since the deli closed Saturday.  

Here is more about the closing from The Leader yesterday. The article also reports the general area Carter & Cooley will relocate.

From The Leader yesterday:

Sackheim, a 63-year-old New York native who is retiring to travel and spend time with his husband, Stephen Voss, also called the outpouring of support “eye-opening” and “incredible.” And while it was the end of an era on 19th Street, it likely was not the end of the deli he founded.

Sackheim said he is granting ownership rights to his two longtime managers, Charles Salas and Zena Cortez. Salas said they plan to keep the restaurant’s recipes and memorabilia and open in a new location in the Heights within a few months.

Sackheim said the deli could not remain in the 100-year-old building at the corner of 19th and Ashland Street, per the lease he signed with Heights developer Radom Capital LLC, which bought the 9,703-square foot building from Sackheim last October. The seven other tenants who leased spaces from Sackheim have since vacated the two-story corner property, which has been remodeled for new tenants.

Salas said he and Cortez hope to rekindle Carter & Cooley’s magic by maintaining relationships with longtime customers and continuing to give them what they know and appreciate. Along those lines, Salas said the business hopes to land in an older building as opposed to a new development.

https://theleadernews.com/heights-history-popular-deli-closes-after-30-year-run/

Originally posted September  6, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. 

From an editorial on the Leader's site eulogizing Carter & Cooley's Co. 375 W  19th St location and hopes of what will come of all the changes on 19th street:

People all over Houston will miss Carter & Cooley Company Delicatessen, the nostalgic, no-frills sandwich shop that epitomized 19th Street and perhaps the Heights as a whole.

Even the guy who bought the building, who figures to make a lot of money from its future tenants, was sad to see the place close last Saturday.

Steve Radom, a prominent real estate developer whose office and signature project are located in the Heights, said he had been an occasional customer of the deli for at least six years. He got to know owner Neil Sackheim and appreciated his role in revitalizing the neighborhood, which was in disrepair when Sackheim purchased the two-story building at 375 W. 19th St. in the late 1980s.

...Those who have long frequented 19th Street likely feel their beloved, quirky, eclectic, downhome neighborhood is becoming cookie-cutter corporate. And that might be at least partly because of the presence of Radom Capital LLC, which purchased the corner property from Sackheim last October.

The company has leased to national brands in some of its other developments – namely the Heights Mercantile on 7th Street between Yale Street and Heights Boulevard – and comes across as big business compared to Sackheim’s small operation. Some of his former tenants in the Carter & Cooley building, who left amid rising rents after the ownership change, said Sackheim didn’t even make them sign leases.

That was then, though, and now is the time to remind you that evolution in the Heights has been just as constant as the quality of the muffalettas at the corner of 19th and Ashland. Residential properties have been flipping up and down the streets for more than a decade, restrictions to alcohol sales have been relaxed in recent years and, in a related development, a grocery chain now has a two-story mega-market on North Shepherd Drive.

Radom and his company embrace change and growth but also cherish history, with many of their projects featuring the repurposing of existing structures. The award-winning Heights Mercantile is a modern, urban shopping center created from a collection of historic bungalows and industrial warehouses.

In the case of the historic building that housed the Carter & Cooley deli, Radom is preserving the structure while trying to remain true to the character of 19th Street. The property has been remodeled inside and out, including a new sidewalk along Ashland, and many of the new tenants will be local businesses.

Retropolis, a locally owned vintage clothing store, is moving from another building on 19th Street into the ground-level space formerly occupied by Gen’s Antiques, just east of the former deli. Radom said the upstairs tenants will be dressmaker Kit Made, a speech therapy business called Heights Speech and Language, a Houston-based realty firm called Jane Byrd Properties International and a new energy venture between Dallas-based Pony Oil and Heights residents Cameron Wielding and Addison Buck.

The Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, which worked on the building redesign and helped design the Heights Mercantile as well as adjoining Heights restaurants La Lucha and Superica, is in the ground-level space behind the former deli. As for what will replace Carter & Cooley, Radom said he could not comment because of confidentiality agreements.

Permitting documents on the City of Houston website name Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, an Ohio-based scoop shop, as an occupant of the space.

“We’re really just trying to enhance a building we love and protect it from a wrecking ball,” Radom said. “We just think this building has so much charm and character and is such a great anchor on the corner.”

Radom said he and his small staff, many of whom live in the Heights, care about the neighborhood and want the building to remain a staple in the community. It will no longer house a beloved deli that makes satisfying sandwiches, but it can still make people happy.

https://theleadernews.com/dont-discount-whats-next-on-19th-street/

• The title was changed to 373-375 W. 19th St.
  • The title was changed to Retail Center At 373-375 W. 19th St.

Archived