Demolished Building At W. 43rd And Ella Blvd.

MarthaG

The old Oak Forest Bank building on the corner of West 43rd St. and Ella Blvd. is now a pile of rubble.

I'm guessing this was an early 50's structure. It was a landmark my entire life. There was a corner sign that showed the time and temp.

It has been vacant for many years. They put a "for sale" sign up a few years back. I believe the asking price was $500,000. I figured the building was full of asbestos which is why it was empty for so long.

Along the Ella Blvd. side was no windows and the brick was plastered sometime along the way. I had a vision of Waltrip H.S. art department putting a mural on that great blank canvas. I can kiss that idea goodbye. I had also dreamed someone would open a nightclub with a restaurant on the 2nd floor. There was a great terrace that would have been so cool for dining outdoors. Of course Oak Forest would never support this kind of establishment.

I'll be curious to see what goes up. Chase Bank is now occuping the smaller building that was put up behind the old bank building. I hope they are not building a new bank...that would be so boring.

Sorry...meant to put this in Historic Houston....how can I change location?

The old Oak Forest Bank building on the corner of West 43rd St. and Ella Blvd. is now a pile of rubble.

I'm guessing this was an early 50's structure. It was a landmark my entire life. There was a corner sign that showed the time and temp.

It has been vacant for many years. They put a "for sale" sign up a few years back. I believe the asking price was $500,000. I figured the building was full of asbestos which is why it was empty for so long.

Along the Ella Blvd. side was no windows and the brick was plastered sometime along the way. I had a vision of Waltrip H.S. art department putting a mural on that great blank canvas. I can kiss that idea goodbye. I had also dreamed someone would open a nightclub with a restaurant on the 2nd floor. There was a great terrace that would have been so cool for dining outdoors. Of course Oak Forest would never support this kind of establishment.

I'll be curious to see what goes up. Chase Bank is now occuping the smaller building that was put up behind the old bank building. I hope they are not building a new bank...that would be so boring.

That sucks. :( I liked how the building front was right up to the street. You know whatever goes in there next will have parking in front. Probably be a cruddy CVS or Walgreens. That building definately gave the old "downtown" oak forest some of its character and appeal. It will be missed.

Man...seems every time I sneeze or blink another building is gone. I was going to Kroger this morning, got to Ella, looked to my right and BAM! WTF???

My guess is Chase will put in the same style building they are doing at Washington and Studemont. Big parking lot; small building; dumpster.

dibrizzi01.jpg:lol:

Too bad Wacovia isn't the owner. At least their new buildings have something going for them.

Wachovia%20Ext.jpg

B)

When I tried to do some banking at the site on Ella and had to wait in line in the horrible little lobby of Chase, I ask myself why didnt the bank make a commitment to the neighborhood and restore the larger building. Sorry to see the old building go. Maybe its time I go from Chase. I think Oak Forest would support some new hip developments if they would go in. Oh World

Yep, I happened to be at that intersection about 10:00 am this past Saturday and it had just come down. I remember the building vaguely, but what I specifically recall is the gold-tone metalwork on the 43rd side - not sure, but maybe it had been covered over and part of the covering had come off last time I saw it.

Even though I had only noticed this building a year or so ago, it was kinda sad. Just like many others in H-town, coming down all around. :(

• 1 month later...

New to the board. Lived in Oak Forest since 1995, but my dad used to bring us to his business partner's house out here in hte 60s. I remember the bank had a sign from my dad's business partner "Jim Cathay says Oak Forest is my bank." It's a changing neighborhood for sure from an original Frank Sharp ranch-style subdivision to the next Bellaire. I don't think we'll get another pharmacy, I am betting on a Starbuck's. New isn't always better. I can tell you I actually liked the "atmosphere" of the old elementary school before we paid for the new one. It's got lots more bells and whistles and more for my daughter for sure, but the atmosphere is totally different now. Not as friendly, not as caring. My two cents.

New to the board. Lived in Oak Forest since 1995, but my dad used to bring us to his business partner's house out here in hte 60s. I remember the bank had a sign from my dad's business partner "Jim Cathay says Oak Forest is my bank." It's a changing neighborhood for sure from an original Frank Sharp ranch-style subdivision to the next Bellaire. I don't think we'll get another pharmacy, I am betting on a Starbuck's. New isn't always better. I can tell you I actually liked the "atmosphere" of the old elementary school before we paid for the new one. It's got lots more bells and whistles and more for my daughter for sure, but the atmosphere is totally different now. Not as friendly, not as caring. My two cents.

Welcome to the forum, and nice to hear about your memories. It's that kind of institutional memory that has made this web site the second best place on the internet for information about Houston.

All though it be late, welcome to the "hood". I've lived in OF (on and off) since early 60's. I went to OF Elementary myself and both of my sons went there. Luckily they were done before they tore down the old one. I now have one at FM Black and the other at Waltrip.

I knew Jim Cathey...he was the neighborhood Plumber. I went to school and hung out with some of his kids. It was definately a smaller world in the 70's.

I could care less if a Starbucks comes to OF, but would love to see some other new retail in the shopping center. Actually there are a few parts of the shopping center that I would like to see town down and re-built. The bank building was cool...and I hate to see it go... Anyone hear yet what is going in?

Oh...and last Friday on my way home for work. the house on the corner of my street was demolished. I pray and pray that are not putting one of those out of place victorian monsters on that lot.

Welcome to the forum, and nice to hear about your memories. It's that kind of institutional memory that has made this web site the second best place on the internet for information about Houston.

What is the first best place?

Hi Martha: My dad had Triad Plumbing Supply, then shame on me I can't remember the next one, but he did a lot of business with the Catheys and Browning Furlow. We spent the summers with the Catheys and I had a crush on one of them ... oh my it's been a while. Didn't see them after my dad died.

I saw the house on Piney Woods that was missing when I dropped Tara off at school. The first house in the signficant $400s has now been listed on Du Barry where there is a tear down planned. There were those betting that Oak Forest wouldn't have the tear downs that occur in Garden Oaks, but they will and they are. A lot of Belliare Homes are zero lots and smal ones. In 10 years this will be a much different place.

I did the yearbook Tara's kinder year for OFES before they tore it down and interviewed a lot of folks who went there in the 50s, 60s, 70s, even Terry Thomas who was one of the first students there. The memories they shared and pictures they sent me pre-fence days when the kids were safe were awesome. Tara was so much happier in the original school, even in the temporary trailers where she went for 1.5 years. They just changed principals from Rosalind Haynes who was a saint and this new lady is a trip.

I would love to know what my house originally looked like. The folks who added on to it did such a bad job. I would love to have the money to do some significant improvements and restore it to a classy ranch that it began life as! Have a great day.

Robin a/k/a VeryRedd

• 2 weeks later...

My husband & I moved to Oak Forest in 1998. Since we bought our house on Wakefield in 2001 four 2+ story houses have been built on our block, all valued over $300,000. Seems like all of the little bungalows are considered tear-downs and are going for around $100,000. Two houses next door to each other are for sale by the same realtor, and we're betting that the same person will buy them and build something HUGE. :wacko: The most recent one went from house to lot to 3-story house in less than a year. In the meantime, a beautifully-updated bungalow the same size as ours has been on the market the $140K range with no interest.

We're staying put and keeping our place as it is. We love the neighborhood and darn it, we love our little house. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...
My husband & I moved to Oak Forest in 1998. Since we bought our house on Wakefield in 2001 four 2+ story houses have been built on our block, all valued over $300,000. Seems like all of the little bungalows are considered tear-downs and are going for around $100,000. Two houses next door to each other are for sale by the same realtor, and we're betting that the same person will buy them and build something HUGE. :wacko: The most recent one went from house to lot to 3-story house in less than a year. In the meantime, a beautifully-updated bungalow the same size as ours has been on the market the $140K range with no interest.

We're staying put and keeping our place as it is. We love the neighborhood and darn it, we love our little house. :wub:

I'm on Wakefield too. There is an upcoming demo on Ebony and Piney Woods, one was completed a few weeks back on the corner of Althea and Piney Woods.

As for exisiting homes selling. You will note the ones not selling that are in good shape don't have 2 car garages and or 2 car WIDE driveways.

The houses that were modifed years ago and eliminated the one car garage and just put up car ports aren't selling. The modified houses that are in GOOD shape and don't have garages BUT still have access to their back yard have a chance to sell.

One house recently modified on Wakefield very near Rosslyn and added a 2 car garage to the back yard, and another house near Wakefield and Piney Woods gave up parking their 3 cars in the street and just finished widening their single drive to double wide, I don't believe they can get to their backyard for a garage.

The 2 ugly houses side by side nearer to Ella can't have one house built on the 2 lots, I am pretty sure of that, but neither one is gonna fetch the price they currently have in place. Bet each sells for about 120,000.00 for land only. BUT they will have competition, there are 2 vacant lots ready for new homes off of Piney Woods (corner lots which allow drive access from side street). Now the lot at Ebony (close to train whistle) will in my opinion go for less than the one at Althea.

I too love OF and am determined to keep my house as original as possible mine is the original slab but the one car garage was converted to a dining room and den with indoor laundry room. I fortunately have a oversized 2 car garage in the backyard.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the site and have to say that I'm a little surprised to see that there is resistance to the positive change that is going on in Oak Forest. I agree that the original character of the place should be protected and think that things like the plasma donation center at 43rd and Ella need to go. But, I also look forward to the day that I can drive down Ella without seeing old furniture and washing machines on people's porches and cars parked in yards. If that means new construction then bring it on. It's exciting to be a part of the transition that the neighborhood is going through. I grew up in Bellaire and remember hearing the same kind of resistance from my parents and grandparents and thier friends to the changes that went on there in the late 1980's. But people are pretty happy now that their 2 and 3 bedroom ranch homes are easily worth over $300,000. At least the developers in Oak Forest aren't building the ugly, boxy brick monstrosities that went up in Bellaire and West U when all the new construction started there. If people in Oak Forest will embrace positive change, take pride in the appearance of their homes (hopefully tear down their ugly metal carport if they have one) and do everything possible to maintain the quaint, family feel of the place...it will be the next Bellaire. And, I'm sorry if I'm the only person who thinks so, but that is not a bad thing.

I agree that Bellaire has lost most of its charm...I just mean the concept of what happened there is a good thing....new retail and restaurants, new construction and remodeling of old homes, increasing property values...if it can be done in a way that stays true to the feeling of our area.

I'm new to the site and have to say that I'm a little surprised to see that there is resistance to the positive change that is going on in Oak Forest. I agree that the original character of the place should be protected and think that things like the plasma donation center at 43rd and Ella need to go. But, I also look forward to the day that I can drive down Ella without seeing old furniture and washing machines on people's porches and cars parked in yards. If that means new construction then bring it on. It's exciting to be a part of the transition that the neighborhood is going through. I grew up in Bellaire and remember hearing the same kind of resistance from my parents and grandparents and thier friends to the changes that went on there in the late 1980's. But people are pretty happy now that their 2 and 3 bedroom ranch homes are easily worth over $300,000. At least the developers in Oak Forest aren't building the ugly, boxy brick monstrosities that went up in Bellaire and West U when all the new construction started there. If people in Oak Forest will embrace positive change, take pride in the appearance of their homes (hopefully tear down their ugly metal carport if they have one) and do everything possible to maintain the quaint, family feel of the place...it will be the next Bellaire. And, I'm sorry if I'm the only person who thinks so, but that is not a bad thing.

Welcome to the site.

I'm not resistant to positive change in OF, but I wonder if we agree on what is positive. New Counstruction is great as long as it fits into the landscape of the neighborhood. There have been a few new houses built in OF that I really like. One on Althea between Ella and OF Dr. is a one story and fits right in. But those 2 story Victorians on Wakefield that are sitting way up off the ground do not fit as far as I'm concerned. Neither do those UGLY brick homes on same street. Of course that's My opinion. The house on Ebony (I think) and OF is nice. Even for a 2 story.

I agree about Ella Blvd. It can be embarrasing when people come to visit and they drive down Ella Blvd. You can only imagine what they are thinking. I try to direct people down T.C.Jester or Rossyln when ever possible.

One of my wishes is coming true now. The shopping center on W43rd that is coming down and being rebuilt. I sure hope they attract good tenants. We could use another place to eat in that area.

Another dream of mine is for the shopping area across the street from OF Elm to be torn down. That place is pure junk. Of course I'd want Theatre Surburbia to be relocated to a new place in the center. Even though I don't go there often, I still think it is cool that we have it close by.

Anyway, I had not seen this thread for a while and glad it came back up to the top.

Welcome to the site.

I'm not resistant to positive change in OF, but I wonder if we agree on what is positive. New Counstruction is great as long as it fits into the landscape of the neighborhood. There have been a few new houses built in OF that I really like. One on Althea between Ella and OF Dr. is a one story and fits right in. But those 2 story Victorians on Wakefield that are sitting way up off the ground do not fit as far as I'm concerned. Neither do those UGLY brick homes on same street. Of course that's My opinion. The house on Ebony (I think) and OF is nice. Even for a 2 story.

I agree about Ella Blvd. It can be embarrasing when people come to visit and they drive down Ella Blvd. You can only imagine what they are thinking. I try to direct people down T.C.Jester or Rossyln when ever possible.

One of my wishes is coming true now. The shopping center on W43rd that is coming down and being rebuilt. I sure hope they attract good tenants. We could use another place to eat in that area.

Another dream of mine is for the shopping area across the street from OF Elm to be torn down. That place is pure junk. Of course I'd want Theatre Surburbia to be relocated to a new place in the center. Even though I don't go there often, I still think it is cool that we have it close by.

Anyway, I had not seen this thread for a while and glad it came back up to the top.

I agree, Martha. It would be great for Theatre Suburbia to have a new home in the new center. Restaurants! What a concept! ;) Man would that ever be a shot in the arm as all OF really has is Doyles :angry2: and Mytiburger :D .

We are seriously looking in OF for a home or homesite. Don't worry-no 2 story monstrosities from us. We are looking around Fisher/Wakefield/Golf area. There's a beautiful new house on Kinley...nice architecture; one story; fits in with the neighborhood. It is between Ella and Kinley on the north side if you want to take a look.

B)

I agree, Martha. It would be great for Theatre Suburbia to have a new home in the new center. Restaurants! What a concept! ;) Man would that ever be a shot in the arm as all OF really has is Doyles :angry2: and Mytiburger :D .

We are seriously looking in OF for a home or homesite. Don't worry-no 2 story monstrosities from us. We are looking around Fisher/Wakefield/Golf area. There's a beautiful new house on Kinley...nice architecture; one story; fits in with the neighborhood. It is between Ella and Kinley on the north side if you want to take a look.

B)

NM, is this new house East of Ella on Kinley? If it's the one I'm thinking, you are right, great style, with stone front. However, I think anything East of Ella is considered Garden Oaks.

I think where you are looking, (Fisher/Wakefield/Golf) there already is a bunch of 2 story monsters in that area.

Have you seen the metal/steel house they are building on Althea? Wow! I love it...especially since it's in GO and not OF.

I like Doyles, but they changed thier Pizza recipe and personally I'm not happy about it. When I asked why they changed it, I was told they hired a consultant who suggested the change. I don't understand why they needed a consultant. All they needed to do was extend their business hours, which they did.

While I was waiting at Krogers to pick up prescriptions I was trying to think what kind of restaurant would do best in the new shopping center. I'd like to see an "old time" diner, but I think it would be hard to get that to work. Then " Sweet Mesquite" came to mind. With their options of Salads, Grilled foods, etc... I think it would work. Any opinions?

Just wanted to throw my 2

NM, is this new house East of Ella on Kinley? If it's the one I'm thinking, you are right, great style, with stone front. However, I think anything East of Ella is considered Garden Oaks.

While I was waiting at Krogers to pick up prescriptions I was trying to think what kind of restaurant would do best in the new shopping center. I'd like to see an "old time" diner, but I think it would be hard to get that to work. Then " Sweet Mesquite" came to mind. With their options of Salads, Grilled foods, etc... I think it would work. Any opinions?

I remember Tally's Records very well.

Martha,

That little hunk of neighborhood east of Ella is where we are looking and yes, the house you saw on Kinley is the one I was talking about and is in Oak Forest. My best friend lives around the corner on Fisher and is a past President of OFHA.

m_004.jpg

m_002.jpg

And I also remember Talley's with those glass listening booths and I need to shut up because I just realized how old I am! :P

B)

Oh! look on Wakefield E. of Ella on the N. side-there is another new 1 story similar to the one on Kinley.

That's a great map.... I did not realize that little section (part of 1) was over there. Just assumend that was part of GO. And yes I know what assuming does.. :blush:

My neighbor is looking at buying a house on Kinley for rent property. Says it's listed at $90K. I've driven up and down Kinley and still cannot figure out which house he's talking about. Must be a real fixer upper.

As an Architect and Oak Forest resident, I absolutely loved that building and was sad to see it go. Does anyone have any photographs whatsoever of the bank? I would love to have some.

Welcome to HAIF, Houston-rktkt.

Did you practice architecture in Houston? Perhaps you might be familiar with some of the buildings discussed in the Houston Mod section of the forum.

• 5 months later...

Sometimes I can be a bit slow to notice new things....but noticed today that the corner where the bank was, is now green space. They actually put in sod, planted about 6 or 7 trees, and a row of Oleander.

BTW, Has anyone seen anything going on with the North Side of 43rd street? The lot is completely cleared and now the fence is down. Any reason they are not in the Heavy Construction stage? I'm ready to see what the new shopping center is going to look like. The sign is still up, so I'm hopeful they did not bale.

I was in Kroger today and heard they are about to start major renovations. I was told several months ago they were going to completely redo the pharmacy. Today I heard the drive thru was going to be much improved (I sure hope so). In addition, the meat/seafood section is suppose to get a major improvement. Actually I heard they were going to make the inside look just like the River Oaks Kroger. One of the mangers said that the OF store was # 2 in sales in all of Houston.

• 6 months later...

I went to Oak Forest Elem. from 76-84....got so used to looking at the clock on the building every morning...my mom drove us to school...and that clock would let her know if we were running late.

Sad they tore it down...i can see it on a cold winter morning in my mind's eye.

• 2 months later...

Wanted to open up this post again...to see if anyone knows anything about that shopping center that is suppose to be built by now on the North side of W. 43rd and Ella (next to Kroger). The sign is still up there saying comming summer of 2007... But still an empty lot.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the scoop on this.. We could really use some new shopping/restaurants in this area.

Archived