Bewitched

I dream of Jeannie

The Twilght Zone

Weird

Night Gallery

The Night Stalker

Godzilla Movies

Karate movies

With only three or four channels, sure seemed like there were more choices, and now with hundreds of channels (cable, satillite, dish) its hard to find anything to watch.

KUHT or Houston PBS (VHF channel 8 in Houston, Texas) is a PBS member television station operated by the University of Houston. The station began broadcasting in 1953 as the first public television station in the United States, and one of the earliest stations of NET, National Educational Television, which eventually merged into PBS.

When you're feeling nostalgic you can rent some of those shows on DVD. At least you can "Bullwinkle".

It's also odd that there aren't any of the old UHF stations listed.

Never mind. The first UHF station failed, and it wasnt' reopened until 1967.

Edited by Subdude

TVGuide1963.jpg

Saturday, November 23, 1963

As a kid I remember watching:

The Honeymooners

Ed Sullivan

Red Skelton

Dragnet

My Mother the Car

Lost in Space

My Favorite Martian

Mr. Ed

Tarzan

Superman

Batman

Ultraman

Gilligans Island

HR Puffinstuff

The Bannana Splits

The Green Hornet

The Monkeys

The Beverly Hillbillies

The Brady Bunch

Bewitched

I dream of Jeannie

The Twilght Zone

Weird

Night Gallery

The Night Stalker

Godzilla Movies

Karate movies

With only three or four channels, sure seemed like there were more choices, and now with hundreds of channels (cable, satillite, dish) its hard to find anything to watch.

What I think is great about this list is that all that stuff was on channel 39 and 26 back in the 70's.

Edited by TJones

I remember having a black-and-white TV with a broken knob, so you had to change channels with a set of pliers, and a tin-foil glob for an antenna.

We wuz po.

I was the remote at our house! :D

RCAColorTV.jpg

They measured the picture tube in square inches instead of diagonally

Edited by PCfixit

We moved from East Texas to Houston in 1965 and I remember how awesome it was that we had 4 channels instead of only 1. (We had lived near Lufkin which only had an NBC station at that time - that was all we could get except on freaky weather days when if you went outside and turned the big antenna you might be able to pull in something odd.)

At one time, the old TV listings also used to have the indication ® to indicate when a program was a rerun (back when there were about 39 new shows a year, and only 13 summer reruns).

Have you noticed that now you sometimes see the indication (N) to indicate that the program is new and not a rerun!

That brings back memories. When I was a little kid we had a TV that looked like that, only it was a "Zenith", which I think went out of business years ago.

Zenith is still around my friend. up until 1991, at my grandparents house, I had a 1966 Zenith black and white 19" it also came with an extra screen, the screen was like a magnifying glass that took the picture to 23". It finally gave out in Dec. 1990. and was sold in a garage sale. :(

Sounds good to me! Those shows listed were before my time, but I prefer old classic TV shows over all ('cept for "Lost") current TV shows any day, any time.

Just a few my favorite classics:

Twilight Zone

Alfred Hitchock Presents

I Love Lucy

Night Gallery

Leave it to Beaver

What's Happening

It's like comfort food. I hate most major network TV of today.

First TV set I remember was a Zenith (circa 1960). It was turquoise, with a gold-tone bezel around the picture tube. This was what they rather optimistically referred to as a 'portable' model - the damn thing must have weighed sixty pounds.

In those pre-transistor days, it seemed to take forever between the time the TV was turned on and the picture finally appeared. You'd hear a high pitched whine as the tubes powered up; a brilliant pin-point of light would appear in the center of the screen, then disappear. Finally, you'd see a dim image, which would gradually grow brighter.

We had a neighbor who had color TV in the mid-sixties, and we made a special trip to their house to see the very first news broadcast in color - I think it was Walter Chronkite. Even after most entertainment shows had converted to color, the news continued in black&white for several years; apparently color was considered a bit frivolous.

I'll never forget our first color TV. NC State was ranked number 2 in the country in 1974, right behind UCLA. They were destined to meet in the Final Four. My dad was so excited about it, he bought a color TV, so we could watch our beloved Wolfpack beat the Bruins and win the '74 National Basketball Championship.

Pretty big stuff for a 14 year old. One of my fondest memories.

Well color television was still pretty new technology at the time.

What is interesting is that those TVs come in French Provincial, Early American, or Italian Provincial styles. When did they stop making TVs in furniture styles? It seems like an odd concept for appliances - you don't go out now and buy an Early American or French Provincial desktop computer. Or maybe Dell should offer it as an option. :D

you don't go out now and buy an Early American or French Provincial desktop computer. Or maybe Dell should offer it as an option. :D

Speaking as an Apple user, it already looks like all Dells come in the same style: antique. :lol:

Back on topic: We had one of these console TV's built into a huge piece of furniture. It was about four feet tall, and maybe 12 feet long. The first part of the cabinet housed a speaker, then there was storage, then the TV, then stereo equipment including a turntable that came out on a rolling shelf, then another speaker. The face of it was a series of wooden doors that you would swing open to see the TV. The doors over the speakers were wicker grilles, and you weren't supposed to open them, but I always did because that's where my parents hid my Christmas presents. I can still remember the smell of decades of furniture polish on that thing.

Oh man, I just had to jump in this conversation. I can remember when stations would turn off and you would have that dang rainbow color bars across the screen with a loud noise. Usually meant it was time for bed. Now, I wish some stations would turn off and never come back.

$499 - HOLLY CRAP!! That must be like paying $5000.00 for a flat screen plasma TV right now.

You bet your @$$ it was, but again, you were getting the best back then. :lol:

Oh man, I just had to jump in this conversation. I can remember when stations would turn off and you would have that dang rainbow color bars across the screen with a loud noise. Usually meant it was time for bed. Now, I wish some stations would turn off and never come back.

The ol' "sign off" rainbow, I think they put the high pitch squeal in for a reason, to wake up thoise that had fallen asleep in front of the tube, so they would wake up and turn it off.

I remember channel 39 actually had an old indian logo test pattern as their sign off, back in the 70's.

You bet your @$$ it was, but again, you were getting the best back then. :lol:

The ol' "sign off" rainbow, I think they put the high pitch squeal in for a reason, to wake up thoise that had fallen asleep in front of the tube, so they would wake up and turn it off.

I remember channel 39 actually had an old indian logo test pattern as their sign off, back in the 70's.

The rainbow is color test bars. When the video signal with the bars on it is pumped through an oscilliscope, dots will form on specified sections of the 'scope. If the colors the TV station is broadcasting are correct, they will be right on target. If the colors are off, the dots will be off, too. Most TV stations still do this for an hour or so once a week to give their engineers a chance to make sure the colors are exactly on target and tweak them if they're not. I know as recently as 2003 KHOU's time was Sunday night/Monday morning around 3am.

The same is true for the 60 Hz tone you heard. It's a test tone to make sure the audio levels are correct. As annoying as the 60 Hz tone is, there's another one that's even more annoying. It's used to test the stereo phasing and involves a voice constantly speaking "Left" "Right" "Center" over and over and over with tone in between.

NTSC Color Bars

smpte2.gif

SMPTE pattern for testing brightness, contrast, and resolution

smpte.gif

Overscan test chart (Yes, overscan, like on your old Commodore 64)

Overscan.jpg

Zone plate test slate

Zoneplate.jpg