And a pic of the beloved former Gulf Building:

JPMorganChaseBankBuildingHoustonDowntown-Jan08-002a.jpg

Channel 13 used that pic as well as a couple of others in their 10pm newscast last night. The copyright and URL were only briefly visible at the bottom of each photo, as they kept covering them up with text banners containing key facts about the building's history.

• Like 1

Channel 13 used that pic as well as a couple of others in their 10pm newscast last night. The copyright and URL were only briefly visible at the bottom of each photo, as they kept covering them up with text banners containing key facts about the building's history.

That's too bad. But there's not much I can do about it. Because it was a breaking news situation, it falls under Fair Use.

This is not the same as when KHOU steals photos and entire articles from my web sites to use on its own web site after I deny its web producers permission to use them. And when I explain the situation on the phone to KHOU's #2 in charge he still fails to fix it, and when KHOU's patent company in Dallas violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act by refusing to take the required actions spelled out under the law. That's just outright plagiarism, theft and copyright violation.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

Last I heard officials still haven't determined the cause of the fire. As to the water supply problem: there are actually two different standpipes for the building. One serves the lower floors and the other the upper floors. (Fairly common for high rises) They were labeled wrong and HFD thought they were pumping into the upper floors but were really pumping into the lower sections. Of course firefighters on the 27th floor were screaming for more water pressure and they kept increasing the pressure until the lower standpipe was damaged, again having no idea they were pumping into the wrong one. Once they connected to the right one they were able to get the fire under control. Hopefully building management has corrected this problem and will decide to go ahead and fully sprinkler the building. Could have saved them 10 million. 

• Like 2

FYI

Last I heard officials still haven't determined the cause of the fire. As to the water supply problem: there are actually two different standpipes for the building. One serves the lower floors and the other the upper floors. (Fairly common for high rises) They were labeled wrong and HFD thought they were pumping into the upper floors but were really pumping into the lower sections. Of course firefighters on the 27th floor were screaming for more water pressure and they kept increasing the pressure until the lower standpipe was damaged, again having no idea they were pumping into the wrong one. Once they connected to the right one they were able to get the fire under control. Hopefully building management has corrected this problem and will decide to go ahead and fully sprinkler the building. Could have saved them 10 million. 

With all respect - your explanation is plausible - where did you hear this?

The results could have been tragic. I hope someone lost his job.

Why was it considered a joke? Because of the lollipop?

Yes, I believe that was the thinking back then. Folks would say something about the Gulf Building, laugh, then qualify the laugh with a remark about the big orange sucker on top. I don't remember exactly how long it was up there, I changed jobs and didn't keep up with it any longer.

It was really brightly lit at night, must have cost a bundle even then.

With all respect - your explanation is plausible - where did you hear this?

The results could have been tragic. I hope someone lost his job.

I have several friends in the "business". This tidbit came from the person that was repairing the ruptured fire line. It's going to be very difficult to place the blame on someone because who knows how long it's been that way? Just move on and make sure the building is well protected in the future. 

I have several friends in the "business". This tidbit came from the person that was repairing the ruptured fire line. It's going to be very difficult to place the blame on someone because who knows how long it's been that way? Just move on and make sure the building is well protected in the future. 

I worked on a major remodel on this building back in the middle 80's. The stand pipes were labeled correctly then when we left, I can guarantee it.

• 8 months later...

Gulf sign that used to be on the Gulf building. Amazingly, the company is still in business and doing stuff that you would recognize every day like the Metro bus shelters and the Dynegy sign.

Maybe they'll appreciate a film I'll be uploading soon; it's an entire day of the Houston skyline shot in time-lapse 1971. That Gulf Oil sign is just a spinnin! Look for it in late May 2011.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone got a picture or postcard of our skyline when the giant Gulf sign was up? (Subdude?)

I'm trying to figure out how to post video: I have a video of the skyline with the GULF sign spinning around. THe video is one full day...static shot... in timelapse...lasts about 2.5 min. (color)

Any suggestions?

I'm trying to figure out how to post video: I have a video of the skyline with the GULF sign spinning around. THe video is one full day...static shot... in timelapse...lasts about 2.5 min. (color)

Any suggestions?

If you put it on youtube, you can display it in a post here.

• 2 weeks later...

In the book Houston Freeways, on Pg. 126, there's a photo of the skyline circa 1967 that appears to be taken from Allen Parkway. The sign is quite visible atop the building since a number of the tallest buildings obviously aren't there at that point.

Here's a lower-res copy of the shot from the e-book version

Hou67.jpg

As someone who still gets out to Gulf stations fairly regularly... wouldn't mind seeing one of these signs atop one of our buildings around here.

As time permits might U be able to ID some of the Bldg's to jog my youthful memory? I will await your answer B4 asking specifics.

Don't forget this ad campaign from 1961.

"We are the Men from Texaco We wear the Texaco Star We like to think at Texaco We've got everything for your car

We've got wipers for your windshield' Plugs n' Belts n'Tires, too Lubricants and Batteries and polishes for you All the things to keep your engine up to par We've got everything for your car

That's why you can trust you car to the man who wears the Star for the kind of products that can take care of you car At every Texaco Station, clean across the Nation You can trust your car to the man who wears the Star The big bright Texaco star!"

Don't forget this ad campaign from 1961.

"We are the Men from Texaco We wear the Texaco Star We like to think at Texaco We've got everything for your car

We've got wipers for your windshield' Plugs n' Belts n'Tires, too Lubricants and Batteries and polishes for you All the things to keep your engine up to par We've got everything for your car

That's why you can trust you car to the man who wears the Star for the kind of products that can take care of you car At every Texaco Station, clean across the Nation You can trust your car to the man who wears the Star The big bright Texaco star!"

I realize we are getting off-topic here with Texaco, but I bet not many here will remember

Here are some I remember....

post-2050-0-39991900-1309362437_thumb.jp

If I may B permited 2 opine. The tall Bldg. w/the big stick antenna on roof I believe is shell Plaza & the Bldg. in front of BOSW is I believe Tennesee Gas. Would U happen 2 know the names of the yellow checkerboard Bldg. behind Julia Ideson library, also Bldg. in front ot Julia Ideson library? And lastly the tall Bldg. just to the left (north) of City Hall? I believe the Bob Casey Federal courthouse is now @ that location

Thank U 4 your earlier response.

If I may B permited 2 opine. The tall Bldg. w/the big stick antenna on roof I believe is shell Plaza & the Bldg. in front of BOSW is I believe Tennesee Gas. Would U happen 2 know the names of the yellow checkerboard Bldg. behind Julia Ideson library, also Bldg. in front ot Julia Ideson library? And lastly the tall Bldg. just to the left (north) of City Hall? I believe the Bob Casey Federal courthouse is now @ that location

Thank U 4 your earlier response.

The tall building with the antenna is definitely the Tenneco Building, you can make out some of the letters, "T" and "E" on top right side of the building. This picture is from 1967, the Shell Building was built in 1971 and at the time was the tallest building in Houston at 50 stories.

Not sure about the "checker board" building....

I think the checkerboard building is the hotel near 600 Jefferson, whose name escapes me. It was closed for a number of years, then renovated and reopened.

I agree that the checkerboard building looks like the hotel near 600 Jefferson which was re-opened as the Crowne Plaza, but back in the 80s it was called the Whitehall I believe,but that hotel is seven blocks south of the Tenneco Bldg.So I dont think the yellow checkerboard building and the hotel are one in the same.

Given the angle of the photo I think the yellow checkerboard building would be in the same location as Enterprise Plaza is today.

• 1 year later...

This was the tallest building west of the Mississippi when built and remained tallest in Houston for more than thirty years.

John Allen's (the primary founder of Houston) wife's home was on this location. She's the person who named Houston, Texas.

post-11672-0-96000000-1358832085_thumb.j

Edited by i_am_jim
  • Like 1

Jaclynn Smith's father, Jack Smith had a single chair dental practice on the 5th floor. The 6th floor and below had direct connections to Texas Commerce Bank and GBA (Gulf Building Annex). After Gulf Oil moved out in the early 80's, a major gut and remodal occured. We had to keep service going to this dental office during renovation which was inconveniently located right under a major pipe chase. 

There were pictures of his daughter in the waiting room of course. 

• Like 1

Jaclynn Smith's father, Jack Smith had a single chair dental practice on the 5th floor.

There were pictures of his daughter in the waiting room of course. 

Ha! I also had a picture of Jaclyn Smith in my dorm room in the early '80s. Thirty plus years later she is still a beautiful woman. Even in a still photo you can see the poise, grace, and class people who know her say she has.

Also, the Gulf Building is, and always will be, a delight for my eyes. Thanks for posting i_am_jim.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...