1891 American Eatery & Bar At 702 E. 11th St.

WestGrayGuy

This is being built currently off 11th street near Studewood. It is being built in an old ice house location with an existing liquor license from years back.

The interesting twist to this story is that the Heights proper is dry. This was in the terms of annexation of the Heights into Houston way back when.

Since I work in the Heights I will be frequenting this place quite frequently. If you haven't been to Berryhill on Montrose for Sunday Brunch, you should go. It is quite the social epicenter. It reminds of the old La Starda days of the late 90's.

Before Berryhill came in, this spot was a tire repair shop. Before that, it was a beer joint. Sure, some development with "vision" would be great. But as I posted PH (pre-hack), beggars shouldn't be choosers. We are dying for retail in the Heights. A new restaurant on a commercial street on the wet side of town is a pretty good vision in my book. . .

The Berryhill folks have made an effort to make the restaurant fit in the neighborhood . . . It's not like it's some gaudy TGI Friday's or something. I think it's a great addition of a Houston-based establishment to our neighborhood. I am anxiously looking forward to being able to drink a margarita on the deck this fall, and I know dozens of my Heights neighbors who feel the same way.

BTW. . .I like Pappasitos. I like Andy's and Spanish Flower too. I'm a uniter, not a divider. . . B)

Don't get me wrong, I understand the concept of your argument. If you're looking for a place with good drinks and patio atmosphere, Berryhill is probably right up your alley. But I'm not convinced that Berryhill as a restaurant is what I am "begging" for. All I'm saying is I can leave my house in four different directions in the Heights and happen upon great Mexican food already, why do I need another?

Berryhill if anything will be more about a social atmosphere and drinking I believe. The food is good but, you're right, there is better in the area.

The Heights as a neighborhood is, at this point, mostly dull. A happening bar should liven this up.

• 2 months later...
The Heights as a neighborhood is, at this point, mostly dull. A happening bar should liven this up.

When a "happening bar" is no longer happening, it becomes a beer joint.

I'm not sure where the dry line is, but there is a bar called Shiloh Club on Studewood just south of 14th that has been there for well over 10 years. I doubt if Berryhill is in a dry area.

• 2 weeks later...

Berryhill's not in a dry area, you're right... but it's only a block or two outside the old Houston Heights townsite. Basically, the old town of Houston Heights went from Washington Ave. to about 25th, and from about Nicholson to Oxford. Shiloh's is a couple blocks east, since it's on Studewood, so they can serve alcohol. But try to buy it at the little store next to Pizza Hut at 14th and Heights and see how much luck you'll have!

Berryhills is open. The place was packed last night. The food is excellent. They are still working out some of the service kinks, however. The building looks great. There is actually a salon in the same building. . .sort of a mini-strip-center. But you wouldn't know it from a quick glance at the building.

• 2 years later...

Three years later, how do you feel about Berryhills?

I see it as a positive. The food has been consistent, drinks are potent, the place is consistenly packed, and the patio is the place to be on a nice night. I also like that they have plenty of on-site parking, unlike some of the newer places that have come along since 2004 that are valet parking cars in the neighborhood. Berryhills has been a good neighbor and a good place to meet neighbors.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that I can go there on a Friday night with a couple other moms and kids -oro meet friends to kick off a rowdier night with dinner and 'ritas, feeling equally at home in either case.

Ditto the new Studemont building. Considering the work they are having to do to clean up that site, I hope the developers really looked at what can make their location hugely successful here.

• The title was changed to Berryhill Baja Grill At 702 E. 11th St.
  • 5 weeks later...

Berryhill / Berryhill Baja Grill is closed for remodeling at 702 E 11th St. Earlier this year, the Baja Mexican restaurant announced its closing for renovations.

There have been multiple posts on various social media sites claiming the Heights eatery is temporarily closed. However, it seems the closure is permanent.

Renovations on the space have been ongoing since February, I think, and are almost complete. When the restaurant reopens, it won't be as Berryhill. Instead, the restaurant will sport a new name and concept.

The name of the former Berryhill restaurant will either be 1891 Bar & Grill or 1891 American Eatery & Bar. 1891 is a nod to the Heights' year the was founded. As for the concept, the menu will feature American fare.

I'm uncertain if this is a rebranding, a new business entirely, or a joint partnership between the owner of Berryhill and another party. I think Garza Management Group (El Bolillo) is involved with 1891.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

That's unfortunate. Berryhill was always reliable for a low-priced meal that wasn't fast food. I guess the only one left is the one in Sugar Land, now that the original location closed due to redevelopment and the one in Oak Forest couldn't seem to figure out how to sustain its business.

I figured the Heights location was done when the "temporary closure due to renovations" stretched into several months of no discernible activity or updates on their social media presence. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 12:19 PM, mkultra25 said:

I figured the Heights location was done when the "temporary closure due to renovations" stretched into several months of no discernible activity or updates on their social media presence. 

That's a fair assessment. But some on various online platforms swear and down Berryhill in the Heights is reopening after renovations. I always had my reservations. 

According to a few people I know in the restaurant and real estate industry, a local real estate company (I think it may have been Chodrow Realty Advisors) was actively looking for a buyer either last year or earlier this year. They were also seeking someone to lease the space on behalf of the owner. With Garza Management Group's involvement with the forthcoming concept at 702 E 11th St, it's possible what I heard is true.

Perhaps Berryhill's closure in the Heights will be reported soon. And with it, additional details about 1891 Bar & Grill or 1891 American Eatery & Bar.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 12:19 PM, mkultra25 said:

That's unfortunate. Berryhill was always reliable for a low-priced meal that wasn't fast food. I guess the only one left is the one in Sugar Land, now that the original location closed due to redevelopment and the one in Oak Forest couldn't seem to figure out how to sustain its business.

I agree.  I always enjoyed my meals there.  I must have ordered their grilled shrimp tacos the day they closed.  I had my order delivered and had no idea it might have been my last order from Berryhill.  Too bad if so.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 1:17 PM, steve1363 said:

I agree.  I always enjoyed my meals there.  I must have ordered their grilled shrimp tacos the day they closed.  I had my order delivered and had no idea it might have been my last order from Berryhill.  Too bad if so.

Maybe some of the popular menu items from Berryhill will remain on the menu once this reopens? I suppose we'll find out soon once a press release rolls out announcing 1891 Bar & Grill or 1891 American Eatery & Bar at 702 E 11th St.

On 8/15/2023 at 9:08 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The name of the former Berryhill restaurant will either be 1891 Bar & Grill or 1891 American Eatery & Bar. 1891 is a nod to the Heights' year the was founded. As for the concept, the menu will feature American fare.

I'm uncertain if this is a rebranding, a new business entirely, or a joint partnership between the owner of Berryhill and another party. I think Garza Management Group (El Bolillo) is involved with 1891.

A permit pertaining to 702 E 11th St was filed yesterday. The permit is for a health review for name change, restaurant.

As mentioned a few posts above, Berryhill / Berryhill in the Heights at 702 E 11th is no more. Instead, the restaurant is changing its name (or either it's a new businesses altogether) and its concept.

The name of the eatery is either 1891 Bar & Grill or 1891 American Eatery & Bar. 

hMAk4Xe.png

On 8/15/2023 at 9:08 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

7 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

A permit pertaining to 702 E 11th St was filed yesterday. The permit is for a health review for name change, restaurant.

As mentioned a few posts above, Berryhill / Berryhill in the Heights at 702 E 11th is no more. Instead, the restaurant is changing its name (or either it's a new businesses altogether) and its concept.

The name of the eatery is either 1891 Bar & Grill or 1891 American Eatery & Bar. 

hMAk4Xe.png

Recent job postings confirm Berryhill / Berryhill in the Heights / Berryhill Baja Grill is permanently closed. Multiple job postings for the restaurant replacing Berryhill have popped up in the last two days. 

The listings do not confirm whether the name of the restaurant is 1891 American Eatery & Bar or 1891 Bar & Grill. Both names are used interchangeably in the job posts.

Also, included in the listing is this nugget:

Join our team at 1891 and take part of Houston Heights history as the owners of Common Bond bring you an American eatery & bar! 

That information seems to confirm speculation of Garza Management Group's involvement. The hospitality team are the owners of El Bollio. Earlier this year, Common Bond entered into a partnership with Garza Management Group.

1891 American Eatery & Bar / 1891 Bar & Grill will be located at 702 E 11th St.

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=2d932ef5f63b373c

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

The listings do not confirm whether the name of the restaurant is 1891 American Eatery & Bar or 1891 Bar & Grill. Both names are used interchangeably in the job posts.

One job listing has a logo for the restaurant opening at 702 E 11th St. The restaurant's logo appears to confirm the name is 1891 American Eatery & Bar or just 1891 (with American Eatery & Bar being descriptors).

1891 is a bar & grill concept opening in building previously occupied by Berryhill. Judging by the hiring posts, the restaurant is gearing up to open soon. It's possible 1891 could open in September or October at the latest.

https://www.workstream.us/j/c61e975b/1891-american-eatery-and-bar

77QRUbzm.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 1:22 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

hMAk4Xe.png

Additional permits for 702 E 11th St were pulled Friday. Those permits were a building permit and C1 Duplicate CO or Change of Owner permit.

As mentioned a few posts above, Berryhill / Berryhill in the Heights at 702 E 11th is no more. Replacing Berryhill's former location in the Heights is 1891 American Eatery & Bar.

EsjcCyq.png

RxzDU5V.png

• 3 weeks later...

A sign plan and sign site inspection permits were pulled today for 702 E 11th St. 

As mentioned a few posts above, Berryhill / Berryhill in the Heights at 702 E 11th is no more. Replacing Berryhill's former location in the Heights is 1891 / 1891 American Eatery & Bar.

Sign site inspection permit

RWMl8A2.png

Sign plan permit

tlvqAnp.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A web domain was recently registered for 1891 / 1891 American Eatery & Bar. The website; however, is not yet available.

Additionally, 1891 has at least two social media channels. One is Facebook and the other is Instagram. I think both were launched sometime this week. However, I think the Facebook page is hidden or unavailable at the moment.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61552141534046

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/1891heights

S2RNWgY.jpg

On 9/27/2023 at 11:58 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

A sign plan and sign site inspection permits were pulled today for 702 E 11th St. 

As mentioned a few posts above, Berryhill / Berryhill in the Heights at 702 E 11th is no more. Replacing Berryhill's former location in the Heights is 1891 / 1891 American Eatery & Bar.

Sign site inspection permit

RWMl8A2.png

Sign plan permit

tlvqAnp.png

Additional sign permits were filed today for 1891 at 702 E 11th St. 

1891 / 1891 American Eatery & Bar is a new bar & grill concept opening soon. The restaurant replaces Berryhill's in the Heights.

Signs Electrical Installation permit

RBmU7yg.png

Sign operating permit

RClJeit.png

Sign construction permit

puQY3Oi.png

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 3:10 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

A web domain was recently registered for 1891 / 1891 American Eatery & Bar. The website; however, is not yet available.

I think 1891 / 1891 American Eatery & Bar may open to the public next week. Sometime in the last 24 hours, the restaurant's website went live. There is no mention of an opening date, however, on the site. Also, none of 1891's social media platforms include an opening announcement.

Below is a photo of the restaurant's interior, which is from the website.

1891 / 1891 American Eatery & Bar replaces Berryhill's in the Heights.

vJx8jOG.jpg

• Like 3