Chron.com

bruce_oneal

Great. I just got used to the other format. At first glance, it looks like less news on the front page and more fluff. Is that what readers want...more fluff? You're right, the color combo assaults the eyes.

I'll complain more once I get to look through it.

it really does look like a lot less news. almost like they were going for a blog look or something... i guess you just have to hunt deeper down for it.

I looked at it tchron.com this morning and it was the old way and then I look at it agian today and I said what the f**k, at first I thought I typed it in wrong then I noticed that it was just a new look. I will have to get use to this. I had been wanting them to updated for awhile now, but now that it has happened, I miss the old one.

Orange seems to be in vogue with web developers these days. Ever since those little XML and RSS badges started showing up everywhere. Even the New York Times is using orange for the paid version of its web site.

I think the new Chron.com looks a lot like KHOU.com. And I totally agree with the above poster who noted that there's a lot less news on the front page now.

click here to check it out ...

I know I have seen it. I only ask because my browser never displays ads and only displays stuff that requires java if I allow that site. And considering two of the things using java are from amazon.com and adsonar.com I figure at least half the stuff missing from my page are ads.

Not too many ads. One midway down the page, about the size of the one on this forum, and one at the bottom. I can live with that.

It appears they are using the first page to show off all of the different features, blogs, etc. There is a bar across the top that has all of the news departments. Some of the features are nice. Once I get used to the change, I'll probably like it.

It is..weird. Too many ads, and such. I don't like the Chronicle much, anyway. I only read it for the comics, weather, and for Real Estate.

I tried to open the new chron site this morning-slow you say? I gave up, made coffee and put the cat out. I came back to the computer and guess what? Still downloading. I switched it off because knowing the chron, there probably was'nt anything there to begin with.

B)

Kind of cheap-looking isn't it? Red..orange..blue..I think they were inspired by the Astros old rainbow uniforms! :D

Their server is pretty slow.

my problem is not so much the ugly colors (i will probably get used to that) but that it seems to be even LESS focused on real news than before --which isn't saying a whole lot.

I don't like the colors or the removal of most news from the front page. I do like the new layout (the physical way it's laid out) and the navigation using drop-down menus. There were sections on the old site you could not get to (such as opinion) from within the news articles. I also like the fact that they aren't requiring registration for most parts of the site now.

By the way, if you just redirect your Chronicle bookmark from www.chron.com to www.chron.com/news you'll get the listing of all the headlines, similar to the old site.

I don't like the colors or the removal of most news from the front page. I do like the new layout (the physical way it's laid out) and the navigation using drop-down menus. There were sections on the old site you could not get to (such as opinion) from within the news articles. I also like the fact that they aren't requiring registration for most parts of the site now.

By the way, if you just redirect your Chronicle bookmark from www.chron.com to www.chron.com/news you'll get the listing of all the headlines, similar to the old site.

ok, just checked out the news page and it is a lot better. maybe i will make that my bookmark instead.

I tried to open the new chron site this morning-slow you say?
Their server is pretty slow.

oh my...i occasionally have to go to chron.com to check obituaries, and it looks like that won't be happening anytime soon... :unsure:

thank goodness there are alternate ways to check their archives!

• 1 month later...

Archived