2006 Essence Music Festival Moving To Houston

Coog's post #54.

The Essence crowd trashed my partner's hotel, ripped them off by sneaking extra people into the rooms and not paying and pretty much not tipping the staff. That's all I'm familiar with regarding these "grownups".

Shocking.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coog's post #54.

The Essence crowd trashed my partner's hotel, ripped them off by sneaking extra people into the rooms and not paying and pretty much not tipping the staff. That's all I'm familiar with regarding these "grownups".

I guess I'm partly to blame for this whole situation as well.

I once snuck 4 people into one hourly motel room on Airline for the New Orleans Jazz Fest. I only spent $50 the entire weekend in New Orleans, bringing my own bread, balogna and Schlitz from Houston, and splitting a $20 room four ways.

It's my fault. I'm sorry I was broke. We didn't know at the time that there was a per person charge for motel rooms. I didn't tip well either...seeing as how I only had $50 for gas, tickets, motel, smokes, food and drink.

But NOLA showed me a hell of a time! THANK YOU NEW ORLEANS!

That's not my post.

So today Sylvia Garcia, of all freaking people, blammed downtown businesses for not being open on Sunday. She said nobody got the word. People were walking around downtown with nothing to do.

Jordy said the businesses did get the word out. Meow.

But I agree with TJones. Blame the organizers.

What a bunch of crybabies. One article finds a couple of people out of 200,000 to complain about Houston sprawl, and now, everyone wants to curl up into a ball and cry.

nmainguy, am I to understand that your partner's hotel is willing to forego the revenue from future festivals because of this? Somehow, I kind of doubt it.

TJ, like your memory of politics, you are employing revisionist thinking. There were PLENTY of complaints about Houston sprawl during the Super Bowl. And, by the way, the NBA and MLB WISH they could get 200,000 to attend their events. This event was second only to the Super Bowl in economic impact.

Look, I understand that there was little at this event that was attractive to white suburbanites (or white city dwellers, for that matter). But, too lambaste the entire event because a Chronicle reporter coaxed a few TRUE, but negative comments out of a tourist, is a bit of overkill. $200 million was left in Houston by these tourists. Other than nmainguy's partner (and a few waiters), the hospitality industry was very happy that Essence was here. Houston's convention people are actively trying to woo them back.

I haven't heard this kind of whining since Jacksonville held the Super Bowl. You people sound like a bunch of grumpy old men. In REAL big cities, the locals shrug off the occasional negative remark as life in the big city. I'm as big a booster of this burg as any, but I recognize that some people will not appreciate it. So be it.

For the rest of you, worry not. The quilting convention will be back next year. Houston will be safe from criticism and excitement.

I love the attitude reflected by some posters here! [turns sarcasm off] When the City of Houston gets great reviews, "let's shower all praise on the city, its residents, and representatives." However, when the City of Houston receives criticism, "blame the organizaers of whatever event brought those critics into town."

This type of attitude reminds me of grade school children who, upon receiving an 'A,' will come home, bragging to thier parents. . ."look what I made." But when those same grade school children bring home a failing grade thell their parents "look at what the teacher gave me."

I love the attitude reflected by some posters here! [turns sarcasm off] When the City of Houston gets great reviews, "let's shower all praise on the city, its residents, and representatives." However, when the City of Houston receives criticism, "blame the organizaers of whatever event brought those critics into town."

This type of attitude reminds me of grade school children who, upon receiving an 'A,' will come home, bragging to thier parents. . ."look what I made." But when those same grade school children bring home a failing grade thell their parents "look at what the teacher gave me."

These events are PLANNED, they just don't HAPPEN in whatever city 200,000 Black people are going to be in the same weekend that Bebe and Cici Peniston are playing. This "festival" takes months to organize, and poor planning and CHANGE of venue, will more than likely rub partygoers the wrong way. You cannot blame the host city for that. SInce you are into analogies 713 here is one for you. Blaming the city of Houston because you had a bad time at the Essence Awards is like blaming Oscar Meyer because your Dad burnt your hotdog to a crisp and it tastes like lighter fluid. It's not Oscar's fault, they have stayed the same, but your oldman is in charge of the grill, and he is the one that doesn't know how to prepare food. (Sarcasm in full effect)! :blink:

nmainguy, am I to understand that your partner's hotel is willing to forego the revenue from future festivals because of this? Somehow, I kind of doubt it.

No one is implying the hotel would forgo a future festival's revenue-regardless how little it may actually turn out to be for this one. They probably will house them differently in the future by putting them on the lower floors so they don't disturb the clients who like to sleep at night. They may have a curfew on who can go upstairs after midnight-they did this for the NBA finals. And the staff-like the rest of service workers throughout the city-will just have to live through a long weekend of little or no tips. So, no, no one is going to cut off their nose just because of one lousy group-but there are legitimate complaints. Some have solutions-others don't.

B)

These events are PLANNED, they just don't HAPPEN in whatever city 200,000 Black people are going to be in the same weekend that Bebe and Cici Peniston are playing. This "festival" takes months to organize, and poor planning and CHANGE of venue, will more than likely rub partygoers the wrong way. You cannot blame the host city for that. SInce you are into analogies 713 here is one for you. Blaming the city of Houston because you had a bad time at the Essence Awards is like blaming Oscar Meyer because your Dad burnt your hotdog to a crisp and it tastes like lighter fluid. It's not Oscar's fault, they have stayed the same, but your oldman is in charge of the grill, and he is the one that doesn't know how to prepare food. (Sarcasm in full effect)! :blink:

Please help me understand what you are trying to state, here.

So, according to your school of thought, MLB should be congratulated for the MLB 2005 Allstar Weekend, NOT the City of Houston? According to your way of thinking, the NBA should be congratulated for the 2006 Allstar Weekend, NOT the City of Houston? In your world, the NFL deserves all the credit for the 2005 Superbowl, NOT the City of Houston? Should the city of Houston receive any praise for being the "host city," or should only the "organizers" receive all of the credit?

Please help me understand what you are trying to state, here.

So, according to your school of thought, MLB should be congratulated for the MLB 2005 Allstar Weekend, NOT the City of Houston? According to your way of thinking, the NBA should be congratulated for the 2006 Allstar Weekend, NOT the City of Houston? In your world, the NFL deserves all the credit for the 2005 Superbowl, NOT the City of Houston? Should the city of Houston receive any praise for being the "host city," or should only the "organizers" receive all of the credit?

Again, I heard no complaints about any major sporting event that has taken place here in the last 4 years, except crappy Houston weather. How involved do you think the essence promoters let the city of Houston be ? Hardly at all, if any. Just admit that it was poorly planned. The Reliant Stadium as a venue, miles away from where the partygoers wanted to be ? Should have put everything downtown, held speeches at Toyota and GRB. They couldn't even get Babyface to show up at the GRB, then the promoters turn around and say that Babyface wasn't an "official" part of the essence awards, so they wouldn't be responsible and have to reimburse the $65 ticket to angry fans. Do you blame the city of Houston for that also. The city of Houston helps provide the venues and the transportation , it is NOT their job to make businesses stay open, or enforce a no curfew rule on Hotels. The organizers should have gotten with the chamber of commerce and help show businesses how they would benefit from them being there. Instead, the essence awards went off as a "hey, were here, where's the booze and the food ?" A bad choice of venues and poor planning is what hurt our city. Do you think that if the essence awards had been the best ever, that the city would have gotten any credit. Hell No ! It would have been " The people of New Orleans, and all the people here at the festival, showed how they can overcome adversity and the "sprawl" of Houston after all they have been through, and that is the true "essence" of our people." Houston gets thrown to the side again like an old ragdoll, such is our lot in life.

Sorry to be longwinded, it just seems that maybe someone sold The Essence Awards a bill of goods, my feeling it was a promoter and NOT the city of Houston.

In REAL big cities, the locals shrug off the occasional negative remark as life in the big city.

And if this were a "REAL big city", then maybe that could apply. The only thing that makes Houston a "big city" is the number of people living in the metro area.

I may be mistaken, but I would guess that people had similar responses to criticisms of Houston for other events (ESPN's Bill Simmons even claims that he got plenty of nasty emails for his Houston criticisms). It is true that it's not the first time people criticized Houston. It's true that it's not the last time people will criticize Houston. I think that while some on the forum feel that others are childish for feeling the least bit offended by the criticism and should get over it, they themselves should get over those responses as well.

Speaking for myself, do I know that Houston can do things much better? Yes. Do I get irritated when I see this city not stretch out for things/issues like it did in the past (making the Ship Channel happen, building the Dome, etc.)? Yes. I have even said that if New York were Houston and the WTC collapsed, instead of replacing it with a taller tower, Houston would replace it with an office park since that's the sure thing and "all the the market would require".

Does that mean I should roll over and just deal with outsiders complaints of my city? Not always. To me, though I criticize Houston sometimes, it's different when outsiders do the same. It's like this: Who in here has a family member or friend that you know is not doing as well as they should or could and you yourself have strongly criticized them? Let someone else come and (even jokingly) criticize your family member for THE EXACT SAME THINGS that you criticize them for. Would you get defensive? Would you suddenly back up that family member despite his or her faults? Just because you have a cousin who dropped out of middle school doesn't give someone else the right to call them stupid does it? What makes this situation different?

Like I said before I think some people's responses are akin to those you'd see on SSP or SSC. Houston hardly gets positive attention on those forums...and despite all that, local forumers still "stick up" for the place.

What a bunch of crybabies. One article finds a couple of people out of 200,000 to complain about Houston sprawl, and now, everyone wants to curl up into a ball and cry.

TJ, like your memory of politics, you are employing revisionist thinking. There were PLENTY of complaints about Houston sprawl during the Super Bowl. And, by the way, the NBA and MLB WISH they could get 200,000 to attend their events. This event was second only to the Super Bowl in economic impact.

Look, I understand that there was little at this event that was attractive to white suburbanites (or white city dwellers, for that matter). But, too lambaste the entire event because a Chronicle reporter coaxed a few TRUE, but negative comments out of a tourist, is a bit of overkill. $200 million was left in Houston by these tourists. Other than nmainguy's partner (and a few waiters), the hospitality industry was very happy that Essence was here. Houston's convention people are actively trying to woo them back.

I haven't heard this kind of whining since Jacksonville held the Super Bowl. You people sound like a bunch of grumpy old men. In REAL big cities, the locals shrug off the occasional negative remark as life in the big city. I'm as big a booster of this burg as any, but I recognize that some people will not appreciate it. So be it.

For the rest of you, worry not. The quilting convention will be back next year. Houston will be safe from criticism and excitement.

Here Here!! And why, oh why, does the Chronicle have to coax negative comments from visitors EVERY time there is a significant event in Houston? That paper does more damage to Houston than the oil bust or Enron collapse. It's like they have forms for writing articles:

Dateline: Houston. The [fill in name of event] was held in Houston this past weekend, drawing [fill in number] visitors from around the world. Vistors were heard to complain about the traffic, the humidity, and how spread out everything was. Some visitors commented that they prefer the thicker, more aromatic humidity of New Orleans. Others said they prefer their humidity with mouse ears. Still others said they prefer the traffic of midtown Manhattan. Nobody seemed to enjoy their time in Houston.

Here Here!! And why, oh why, does the Chronicle have to coax negative comments from visitors EVERY time there is a significant event in Houston? That paper does more damage to Houston than the oil bust or Enron collapse. It's like they have forms for writing articles:

Dateline: Houston. The [fill in name of event] was held in Houston this past weekend, drawing [fill in number] visitors from around the world. Vistors were heard to complain about the traffic, the humidity, and how spread out everything was. Some visitors commented that they prefer the thicker, more aromatic humidity of New Orleans. Others said they prefer their humidity with mouse ears. Still others said they prefer the traffic of midtown Manhattan. Nobody seemed to enjoy their time in Houston.

I agree. But that's because good news doesn't sell.

If the Chronicle wanted to help Houston, they could start by finishing their construction work and quit making people walk the tightrope on Texas in front of their building.

How about 5 months ago? That do it for ya?

Bill Simmons Thread

Did you really use this as an example to bolster your point on this subject ? You need to go back and re-read the thread you got that from, Bill holds absolutely NO WATER ! Nah, I see what he is trying to invoke, or maybe provoke in us. We should always strive to better our city, but not for tourism's sake, for OUR sake. Houston is not a hotspot for tourism, never has, never will, and I like it like that. I'll dance with the one that brung us here and that is the oil and energy industry. Except I want Disney here.

I agree. But that's because good news doesn't sell.

If the Chronicle wanted to help Houston, they could start by finishing their construction work and quit making people walk the tightrope on Texas in front of their building.

Understood, but what they give us is not news at all. It's just tired old cliches repeated ad nauseum.

I'm sure people saw this coming when it was announced the festival was going to be at Reliant. I sure as hell did. Let's be for real, for whatever reasons, the Essence Festival was not advertised that much to be the success that was the SuperBowl and yes I would blame that on the organizers. The whole thing seemed kind of rushed with the unexpected switch away from New Orleans. Although 200,000 people participated in the Festival's events it was still confined to the parking lots at Reliant Park. Places such as Downtown still looked the same. Can't say the same when the SuperBowl or NBA/MLB All Star Games come to town.

If you would like to accept praise when things are good, you should be wiling to accept criticism when things go wrong.

There's no harm in examining criticisms, analyzing what can/can't be done about them, and making a pledge to work to do better. Critics of the City shouldn't be dismissed out-of-hand just because they say something negative.

If you would like to accept praise when things are good, you should be wiling to accept criticism when things go wrong.

There's no harm in examining criticisms, analyzing what can/can't be done about them, and making a pledge to work to do better. Critics of the City shouldn't be dismissed out-of-hand just because they say something negative.

One part of your point I want to key in on...

"There's no harm in examining criticisms, analyzing what can/can't be done about them, and making a pledge to work to do better."

There is nothing that can be done, IMO, that will stop a lot of these criticisms. People are just going to criticize regardless.

One more thing 713, I think your point is more abstract than is implied. For example, when someone says something about Dallas on this forum that you often seem to either justify, defend, or correct their statements. Nothing wrong with that at all. It just happens. It's part of being proud of where you are.

"There's no harm in examining criticisms, analyzing what can/can't be done about them, and making a pledge to work to do better."

There is nothing that can be done, IMO, that will stop a lot of these criticisms. People are just going to criticize regardless.

Are you stating that, if Houston is lucky enough to get the Essence Festival again, there is nothing that can be done about locating the scheduled/surrounding events closer together and/or encouraging businesses to stay open on Sunday?

Are you stating that, if Houston is lucky enough to get the Essence Festival again, there is nothing that can be done about locating the scheduled/surrounding events closer together and/or encouraging businesses to stay open on Sunday?

i think he was talking about criticisms in general (heat, humidity, sprawl), not the specific ones for this event.

i don't know much about this event other then reading this thread, but obviously the things that you mentioned can be remedied.

Skwatra hit the nail on the head. At the end of the day, Houston's complaints revolve around heat, humidity, sprawl, etc. Speaking of Essence specifically, the fact that things are so spread out was the major complaint. So I again say that there's nothing that can be done that will get rid of the criticisms. The fact of that matter is that Houston is very spread out. Houston has transit but aside from Main Street, it's not sexy transit. Downtown is not the be all end all. In fact, downtown has to compete within the city with several other districts. It's just the way it is.

In a perfect world for some, Downtown, Uptown, Greenway, Greenspoint, TMC, Energy Corridor, Westchase, and even the Sharpstown business districts would all be one huge, conglomo-core (has anyone ever photoshopped this skyline :D ) with neighborhoods such as the Heights, Garden Oaks, Oak Forest, Montrose, River Oaks, Tanglewood, Eastwood, Idylwood, Lindale Park closely surrounding and then more of the typical suburbs surrounding them. All connected by commuter rail to Katy, Sugar Land, the Woodlands, Clear Lake, and Humble. However, we all know that the world isn't perfect.

Houston's problem is not so much how it grew as much as it's when it grew and is growing.

BTW, The scheduling of events should be easier to take care of on the Houston side. But a better guide on how to explore/experience/navigate Houston should be easier on the Essence side to its attendees. There is almost no place in this city that METRO can't take you to for a dollar. You just have to know how to get there. As spread out as LA is, you don't seem to hear as many complaints about getting around there too much (I know, I know, they have more rail and so forth). Same goes for Vegas and to a certain extent Miami. A difference may be that in those places, the attractors are all in much more localized places. Here, there are several big attractors in several different places.

Houston has transit but aside from Main Street, it's not sexy transit.

What a coincidence!

That's where the majority of Houston's venues are. Proper planning prevents P!$$ poor performance.

And to their credit, they did not have a lot of time to plan.

And I follow this music more than you think. I am still tripping about Bobby Brown's blowout.

Wowza

BTW, The scheduling of events should be easier to take care of on the Houston side. But a better guide on how to explore/experience/navigate Houston should be easier on the Essence side to its attendees. There is almost no place in this city that METRO can't take you to for a dollar. You just have to know how to get there. As spread out as LA is, you don't seem to hear as many complaints about getting around there too much (I know, I know, they have more rail and so forth). Same goes for Vegas and to a certain extent Miami. A difference may be that in those places, the attractors are all in much more localized places. Here, there are several big attractors in several different places.

I haven't addressed this point yet. However, I thought that Essence Music Festival Organizers actually did a very good job notifying event-goers on how to get around Houston, including offering printable maps, links to METRO, and Greater Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau. Check the site here.

713, maybe you should get the Dallas Chamber of Commerce and the Mayor to "Woo" the Essence Fest up to Big D, that way you can show us down here how it is done ?

I totally disagree about the heat, and humidity part, New Orleans is just as bad this time of year.

713, maybe you should get the Dallas Chamber of Commerce and the Mayor to "Woo" the Essence Fest up to Big D, that way you can show us down here how it is done ?

Are you kidding me? We don't want it here. You can have it. We're doing just fine with the Black Enterprise Entrepreneurs Conference. They seem to love Dallas, becasue they keep coming back year after year.

Are you kidding me? We don't want it here. You can have it. We're doing just fine with the Black Enterprise Entrepreneurs Conference. They seem to love Dallas, becasue they keep coming back year after year.

You mean Big D can't handle the Essence Awards ? Amazing.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/4029979.html

As the article says, Houston only had 7 months to plan this event, so we probably did the best we could. Not to say that the major complaint of sprawl is unwarranted, even I complain about it and I have lived here all my life, just with more planning we can put on a great show. I love the idea of using multiple venues such as the Toyota Center and GRB. Can you imagine it? It would be another super bowl with all the activity downtown. Lets hope they give us another chance and Houston can put on the show we know we can.

Archived