2006 Essence Music Festival Moving To Houston

Even before the hurricane that place was a mess.

A mess, sure - a different kind of mess than any other city, but a whole lotta fun and a favorite destination for people around the world. Who goes to Houston for a good time?

I'd have to say, most of the negative comments over the staging of this event in Houston noted by those media are little more displaced frustration. It's funny, and expected, that the pep squad would get bent out of shape because of it.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you are taking this WAY to seriously.

No one goes to Essence to hear "leaders". People go to Essence to hear and see music. (The suite I was in didn't listen to Al Sharpton or Louis Farrakahn... We did make jokes about their hair.)

As for Houston v. New Orleans, Reliant does not lend itself to a music festival and party. Our own International Festival has shown that, so it's not people "bitching". It's just true.

Had the Essence festival been downtown (George R. Brown, Toyota, Verizon, etc...) people would have thought it was great, because there would have been easy access to everything. Having EVERYONE get on the train to go from Reliant to Downtown for parties after the show is not sensible, and probably not feasible.

The difference between Houston and N.O., in this case, is that in N.O., everything that people "do" is in walking distance. I've never driven in N.O. when I've gone there. In Houston, you HAVE to drive somewhere (unless the ONE train line serves everything you want to reach - which it doesn't, as we've complained about on this site numerous times.)

Personally, I think the Houston v. N.O. comparisons and the backlash against them are a bit overdone, but I have come to expect it from a lot of people. Personally, I'm still glad I was able to assist the N.O. evacuees. I don't care if they stay or go. I don't care if they work or not. I'm not overly concerned about the increase in crime, since it's generally in an area where we've always had bad crime and no one really cared. Some people are acting as the "bad" N.O. evacuees have invaded the Heights, West U., Kingwood, and the Woodlands and are walking around with loud radios and guns.

For those of you in SW Houston - in those apartments or in those condos (the ones where people were shooting each other - a lot - before Katrina) I say step your game up. To everyone else, stop throwing out those "increases in crime and murder" as reasons to dislike Katrina evacuees. Those increases in crime are not an indication that people from N.O. are bad. They are an indication that there is one area of Houston that is overdue for some cleanup.

If Houston knows that people complain about distances, then why doesn't the city work on attracting companies that want to build more walkable areas within the loop, Uptown etc, then have rail (Prefer fast rail (off the street)) move people from the different urban areas.

Also why not have Houston Create its own festival that drws in celebs and people from around the country.

Boy i tell ya, some of these posts have been interesting to say the very least.

First of all, I did not attend the Essence Fest so I have no sort of authority to comment of how the event overall turned out. These are just my opinions and outside observations.

I am really surprised to see that some posters here seem to be shocked to hear the attendees compare the Essence Fest of the past 12 years in New Orleans to the single year it is held in Houston. I think most expected there to be some differences obviously, but keep in mind, Bourbon Street and being able to walk from venue, to restuarant, to store, to bar, to hotel, was a MAJOR thing to not be able to do this time around. And to no surprise, that was the major complaint among attendees. Paying $60 one way from the airport to your hotel is something Essence fest attendees are not used to.

Essence fest is a party. It always has been. Houston is not a party city, therfor partying is not it's speciality. When you host a tremendous party in a party city, then move that tremendous party to what some would describe as a large conservative town, there are going to be complaints. The trouble is the average person outside of Houston or Texas doesn't know what Houston is or the idea they have is wrong. They think its a dusty small Texas town, or they expect more than it actually is, which I think is the case here. Houston being Houston no lessens the fact that attendees to the Essence fest are used to partying past 2 am and are used to being able to walk places.

One more thing. Open your minds and think about something. Imagine if, God forbid, something happened to Reliant Stadium and the Astrodome area and the Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo had to move to Texas Stadium in Irving. For whatever reason, Six Flags would be used instead of having a carnival, the exibitions and auctions were held in venues 30 miles apart, and the concerts had to be grouped in quarters and held in 4 different facilities scattered all over the DFW area. The chances of all of this actually happening aside, do you think Houstonians that traveled to Dallas for the Rodeo would have any complaints about anything? Be honest.

Also, what if Mayor White got wind of the fact that many Dallas officials had started a campaign to try to keep the Live Stock Show and Rodeo there in Dallas? Would he be out of line to remind everyone the HOUSTON Live Stock Show and Rodeo belong in it's rightful home of HOUSTON? And that it being in Dallas is temporary until Reliant Park is available again? Seriously, am I alone here?

Lastly, am I correct in my interpretation of some of the posts here that the economic gains for Houston from the Essence Fest is not worth having it back due to certain people not getting the tips they wanted and attendees comparisons to New Orleans........, the Festival's home? Am I off base here?

From what I understand, Atlanta, Chicago, and Philly have all expressed an interest in the Festival if it cannot return to New Orleans next year. I personally hope we can get it again and do a better job than even this year, if no other reason than the economic impact on the city.

But in the end, the Essence Fest BELONGS in New Orleans and should be there. Houston or Texas should start it's own festival. The black communities of Texas should start a festival and rotate it each year from city to city. It could be called the BEX Fest (Black Texas Fest). I'm sure some would say such a thing would be racist just as some say the Essence Fest is racist because it caters to Black Americans (ignorance never gets any less annoying). But I personally think it would be great idea that should be explored.

Boy i tell ya, some of these posts have been interesting to say the very least.

First of all, I did not attend the Essence Fest so I have no sort of authority to comment of how the event overall turned out. These are just my opinions and outside observations.

I am really surprised to see that some posters here seem to be shocked to hear the attendees compare the Essence Fest of the past 12 years in New Orleans to the single year it is held in Houston. I think most expected there to be some differences obviously, but keep in mind, Bourbon Street and being able to walk from venue, to restuarant, to store, to bar, to hotel, was a MAJOR thing to not be able to do this time around. And to no surprise, that was the major complaint among attendees. Paying $60 one way from the airport to your hotel is something Essence fest attendees are not used to.

Essence fest is a party. It always has been. Houston is not a party city, therfor partying is not it's speciality. When you host a tremendous party in a party city, then move that tremendous party to what some would describe as a large conservative town, there are going to be complaints. The trouble is the average person outside of Houston or Texas doesn't know what Houston is or the idea they have is wrong. They think its a dusty small Texas town, or they expect more than it actually is, which I think is the case here. Houston being Houston no lessens the fact that attendees to the Essence fest are used to partying past 2 am and are used to being able to walk places.

One more thing. Open your minds and think about something. Imagine if, God forbid, something happened to Reliant Stadium and the Astrodome area and the Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo had to move to Texas Stadium in Irving. For whatever reason, Six Flags would be used instead of having a carnival, the exibitions and auctions were held in venues 30 miles apart, and the concerts had to be grouped in quarters and held in 4 different facilities scattered all over the DFW area. The chances of all of this actually happening aside, do you think Houstonians that traveled to Dallas for the Rodeo would have any complaints about anything? Be honest.

Also, what if Mayor White got wind of the fact that many Dallas officials had started a campaign to try to keep the Live Stock Show and Rodeo there in Dallas? Would he be out of line to remind everyone the HOUSTON Live Stock Show and Rodeo belong in it's rightful home of HOUSTON? And that it being in Dallas is temporary until Reliant Park is available again? Seriously, am I alone here?

Lastly, am I correct in my interpretation of some of the posts here that the economic gains for Houston from the Essence Fest is not worth having it back due to certain people not getting the tips they wanted and attendees comparisons to New Orleans........, the Festival's home? Am I off base here?

From what I understand, Atlanta, Chicago, and Philly have all expressed an interest in the Festival if it cannot return to New Orleans next year. I personally hope we can get it again and do a better job than even this year, if no other reason than the economic impact on the city.

But in the end, the Essence Fest BELONGS in New Orleans and should be there. Houston or Texas should start it's own festival. The black communities of Texas should start a festival and rotate it each year from city to city. It could be called the BEX Fest (Black Texas Fest). I'm sure some would say such a thing would be racist just as some say the Essence Fest is racist because it caters to Black Americans (ignorance never gets any less annoying). But I personally think it would be great idea that should be explored.

This is the best post of the thread. Good job. I like the idea of a BEX Fest, too. You should suggest it. :)

I will post here what I posted on another thread but with a few major changes.

Boy i tell ya, some of these posts have been interesting to say the very least. For a minute, I thought it was 1956. :rolleyes:

Essence fest is a party. It always has been. Houston is not a party city, therfor partying is not it's speciality. When you host a tremendous party in a party city, then move that tremendous party to what some would describe as a large conservative town, there are going to be complaints. The trouble is the average person outside of Houston or Texas doesn't know what Houston is or the idea they have is wrong. They think its a dusty small Texas town, or they expect more than it actually is, which I think is the case here. Houston being Houston no lessens the fact that attendees to the Essence fest are used to partying past 2 am and be able to walk places.

Lastly, am I correct in my interpretation of many of the posts here that the economic gains for Houston from the Essence Fest is not worth having it back due to certain tourist not being happy because it is more difficult to get around, or due to something 1 or 2 of the many many speakers had to say?

Are you kidding me?

But in the end, the Essence Fest BELONGS in New Orleans and should be there.

Citykid09, I'm with you. Houston or Texas should start it's own festival. The black communities of Texas should start a festival and rotate it each year from city to city. It could be called the BEX Fest (Black Texas Fest). I'm sure some would say such a thing would be racist as some say the Essence Fest is racist because it caters to Black Americans (ignorance never gets any less annoying). But I personally think it would be a great idea that should be explored.

Citykid, I also think this is yet another example of Houston not having adequate rail coming back to haunt us. This was just the Essence Fest, can you imagine what attendees of the Olympics would have to say?

(On a totally seperate unrelated note, I think Houston bidding for the Olympics right now is a waste of time due to our blindness to the world's hostile perceptions of George W. Bush and his association with TEXAS. On top of that, the city's lacking of rail as a whole, and it being underserved in the area of entertainment will hurt. Instead of getting defensive about it, we should really put some stock into how we are viewed from the outside and add some aggression to changing the things we need to change).

I will admit to being a poster put off by the comments. I'm not delusional enough to think that Houston is just as much a 'party town' as NOLA. However, I do think that people could at least respect some differences between the places. I don't mind that Houston isn't the party town NOLA is--in fact I'm glad it's not--but they are just two different kinds of cities.

Citykid alluded to urbanity, et al--but poster children of newer urban cities like Portland and Denver would likely have the same criticisms that Houston had.

America's party towns are clearly NOLA, Miami, and Vegas. Is one better than the other--or are they just different? I think that Miamians would respond the same as a lot of us did if Essence went to Miami and attendees said the same comments.

Regarding if HLS&R had to be moved temporarily...I think that's a little different because that's more of a local event (IMO). I think that the better NOLA comparison for HLS&R would be Jazzfest. I think that Essence came out of the magazine's decision on a location--not something that the people of NOLA started. This is more like the NFL just putting the Pro Bowl in Hawaii as a good place to have the event (even though Miami would be just as good, IMO) or Dallas-based TD Jakes putting his MegaFest in Atlanta annually insteadof Dallas.

The idea of BEXFest sounds cool--but I think that as the starters of Juneteenth, that could be enhanced for Texas. I'm on board that Houston could start it's own "national" type festival (even a bigger scale than say, Art Car).

Horrible example.

Why?

BTW guys, Cajun/Creole culture has very little to do with New Oleans.

Why not? What's the point of having a festival in Houston if everyone just bitches the whole time?

If Cajun & Creole culture has little to do with New Orleans, then what is New Orleans really about?

Horrible example.

Why not? What's the point of having a festival in Houston if everyone just bitches the whole time?

If Cajun & Creole culture has little to do with New Orleans, then what is New Orleans really about?

I don't think EVERYONE has complained, what of those that enjoyed themselves in Houston?

Jeebus, I found this...

It

Citykid09, I'm with you. Houston or Texas should start it's own festival. The black communities of Texas should start a festival and rotate it each year from city to city. It could be called the BEX Fest (Black Texas Fest). I'm sure some would say such a thing would be racist as some say the Essence Fest is racist because it caters to Black Americans (ignorance never gets any less annoying). But I personally think it would be a great idea that should be explored.

I'll concede that someone calling the Essence Festival racist because it caters to the black community as ignorant. But how could a BEX, or Black Texas Festival be considered any less racist of an event when it caters to Black Texans. Hell, it says it in the name.

I'm not looking to start a fight, but in today's PC society, how could a "Black" Festival be any less exclusive than a "White" Festival? :huh:

You're right that most of main-stream New Orleans is no longer cajun or creole -but that's where its root lie. Much like "cowboys" & Houston. We don't all go walking around in cowboy hats, spurs & chaps chewing on beef jerky, but what is Houston still symbolized by in the media?

Many things New Orleans were once Cajun & Creole, and still are at some basic level.

Well, the festival is sponsored by the magazine "essense" and they're just hosting a festival that caters to the demographic that purchases the magazine. I see absolutely nothing racial about it.

Now perhaps if they would host a convention for black business owners, I think that would fit more along the lines of what kind of people we want here. :)

Then again isn't there a "hispanic" business magazine as well? I'd go to that one.

Most of New Orleans-main stream or otherwise was never Cajun or Creole.

Cajuns-decendents of Acadians settled in South Louisianna and pretty much have remained there. Anything Cajun or Creole in New Orleans is an import-and not a very authentic one at that. Cajuns and Creoles typically shun big cities.

B)

According to Yahoo:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060705/sfw032.html?.v=59

But I don't know what its normal attendance is.

Last year, 232,000 attended in New Orleans, its best year ever. I would think that drawing 90% of their biggest crowd ever must be considered a resounding success for Essence and the City of Houston. Whether they decide to come back next year or to do their part to help New Orleans in its recovery, it was good to have it this year.....even if a few locals got their feelings hurt by tourists making the same observations about Houston that we do. ;)

I will admit to being a poster put off by the comments. I'm not delusional enough to think that Houston is just as much a 'party town' as NOLA. However, I do think that people could at least respect some differences between the places. I don't mind that Houston isn't the party town NOLA is--in fact I'm glad it's not--but they are just two different kinds of cities.

Citykid alluded to urbanity, et al--but poster children of newer urban cities like Portland and Denver would likely have the same criticisms that Houston had.

America's party towns are clearly NOLA, Miami, and Vegas. Is one better than the other--or are they just different? I think that Miamians would respond the same as a lot of us did if Essence went to Miami and attendees said the same comments.

Regarding if HLS&R had to be moved temporarily...I think that's a little different because that's more of a local event (IMO). I think that the better NOLA comparison for HLS&R would be Jazzfest. I think that Essence came out of the magazine's decision on a location--not something that the people of NOLA started. This is more like the NFL just putting the Pro Bowl in Hawaii as a good place to have the event (even though Miami would be just as good, IMO) or Dallas-based TD Jakes putting his MegaFest in Atlanta annually insteadof Dallas.

The idea of BEXFest sounds cool--but I think that as the starters of Juneteenth, that could be enhanced for Texas. I'm on board that Houston could start it's own "national" type festival (even a bigger scale than say, Art Car).

GovernorAggie, whether something was started by locals or whether the choice was made by a national magazine is not the point. Because the location was intially chosen by a magazine does not change the fact that the overwhelming majority of Essence Fest attendees are "regulars" and expect certain things from the event. People plan their family reunions for Essence Fest. People go on their honeymoons for Essence Fest. Hundreds of couples who met at the Festival and got engaged resulting in marriage reunite at the Essence Fest. Girlfriends and Frat Brothers make their annual pilgrimages to the Essence Fest. So again, just because a national magazine chose New Orleans as it's location 12 years ago, has nothing to do with what the Essence Fest IS and what it has become and what it means to thousands of people and general expectations of the event.

Keep in mind what the major complaint about Houston was. Like Redscare stated, it is nothing Houston has not heard before. Attendees are used to being able to walk from the venue, to the hotels, to the clubs, to the restaurants, to the stores, and to the bars. That alone was one of the major factors in New Orleans being chosen in the first place, imo. I'm just surprised that many posters at this site seemed to be caught off guard that visitors to the city would complain about something Houston often get complaints about. Most Downtowns of the world are busy and lively. That is not the case for Houston. Most cities of the world have extensive rail systems, many of which are connected to airports. That is not the case in Houston. Most cities of the world are more densely built and are more pedestrian friendly than Houston. Plain and simple Houston is not like most large cities of the world and some of the basic things that most people expect, Houston lacks, so by nature there will be complaints from visitors.

Attendees are used to being able to walk from the venue, to the hotels, to the clubs, to the restaurants, to the stores, and to the bars.

Well maybe these folks needz ta read da newz.

Houston needs a little respect for helping out the Third World nation that was New Orleans.

It was a page out of a "Feed The World" video.

And if ANYONE needs "Essense", it's New Orleans. Sure didn't help that sorry city.

They should just be honest and call it what it is. Spring Break for grown-up black folk.

There you have it, MidtownCoog is yet AGAIN allowed to make another one of his tactless and offensive posts.

Perhaps if the "grown-ups" didn't act like spring breakers, Coog wouldn't have brought it up.

B)

I just really want New Orleans to get back on its feet and solve its problems.

That's all.

Seeing Houston take hit after hit for helping is not right.

If these Essense lovers care so much about New Orleans, maybe they should have spent the weekend there making things better.

Perhaps if the "grown-ups" didn't act like spring breakers, Coog wouldn't have brought it up.

B)

When was grown-ups acting like Spring Breakers even mentioned in this thread? Where did you even read that nmainguy? I don't think you are even familiar with the Essence crowd. <_<

Keep in mind what the major complaint about Houston was. Like Redscare stated, it is nothing Houston has not heard before. Attendees are used to being able to walk from the venue, to the hotels, to the clubs, to the restaurants, to the stores, and to the bars.

Don't blame the "CITY" then, blame the sorry @$$ organizers who were incompetent. I didn't hear one complaint about our SuperBowl. The only complaint I heard about NBA all-star weekend was that it rained too much, but it still went off without a hitch. Everyone seemed to do just fine, and I would venture to say a heck of alot more people were here for those two events. They can shuffle the essence awards over to Hotlanta next year as far as I'm concerned, I won't shed one tear. Good Riddance, y'all don't come back now, YA HEAR ! :blink:

When was grown-ups acting like Spring Breakers even mentioned in this thread? Where did you even read that nmainguy? I don't think you are even familiar with the Essence crowd. <_<

Coog's post #54.

The Essence crowd trashed my partner's hotel, ripped them off by sneaking extra people into the rooms and not paying and pretty much not tipping the staff. That's all I'm familiar with regarding these "grownups".

Archived