Anybody Find Beauty On Harrisburg Blvd.

I was bored today and decided to kill some time by riding the 50 route all the way through. What a long route by the way. Yes East of downtown is very gritty and some areas are dilapidated but it was charming as hell and a complete culture shock. Seeing all of the Spanish businesses and bright pastel colored buildings made me think I was in some border town or in Mexico. I was proably the only non hispanic on the bus and everyone around me was communicating with each other in Spanish and had a good spirit about themselves. Yes they are not living in the most pristine neighborhoods, but the residents of the area seemed like they loved it because it was home. What surprised me is some of the older buildings actually have some spanish architectural styles and I am assuming in the early 20th century this was not even a heavily Hispanic populated area. I found that interesting. Some of the more pedestrian friendly businesses were very cluttered with what they were selling outside the door and some areas actually had high pedestrian traffic because it seemed like a transit dependant area. The freeway overpass had Spanish designs on them and even the Magnolia Transit Center's roof had a certain style to it.

The area around Caesar Chavez was interesting and is probably the most urban out of the strip. It was quite a view to see all of the gritty street shops with the silhouette of the downtown Houston skyline in the distant background. The area goes for miles and miles but I would love to get some pictures of the life in that area one day. Hopefully I can dodge some of the stray dogs I saw on the side streets. ;)

The other road that i like taking out of downtown sometimes is polk all the way until it dead ends into Wayside. Another street that maybe doesn't have quite the border town feel, but is somewhat different. Its seems like a street with such potential, especially seeing the downtown skyline in the background. Al sorts of old homes line the street and it seems like its a neighborhood just begging to be redone. Doesn't even seem rundown, just not cared for over the years.

That's because Harrisburg WAS an entirely different city, until it was annexed into Houston in 1926. Harrisburg was established in 1825, well before Houston was in existence.

And then the Mexicans burned Harrisburg during the War (1836) and Houston rose to prominence. I think that's the story. Ironic how the burning of Harrisburg shifted the city to the west and the Mexicans eventually gained control of the east. Karma I suppose. :rolleyes: The west probably would've gained anyway as the port brought lots of working class types and industry to the eastside and it has yet emerge from that fate.

I love how Harrisburg, Canal and Navigation all terminate simultaneously, almost like 3 kicking chorus girls, and sacrifice their individual souls to form the grand esplanade of .....Broadway, which, as the once main street of Harrisburg, is now a ghost boulevard through a ghost town. Is that Rod Serling I hear?

If anyone has ever thought that the Broadway down by Hobby seemed like a strange place for a street named that, it's because it's a continuation of Harrisburg's Broadway. As mentioned, it's hard to believe you're in Houston over there.

I envision a thriving Broadway once again. Residential towers overlooking the port to the east with the skyline to the west. The urban dream has yet to reach this high potential cleft of land. But, the BRT is coming so everything should change... B), right?

And then the Mexicans burned Harrisburg during the War (1836) and Houston rose to prominence. I think that's the story. Ironic how the burning of Harrisburg shifted the city to the west and the Mexicans eventually gained control of the east. Karma I suppose. :rolleyes: The west probably would've gained anyway as the port brought lots of working class types and industry to the eastside and it has yet emerge from that fate.

I love how Harrisburg, Canal and Navigation all terminate simultaneously, almost like 3 kicking chorus girls, and sacrifice their individual souls to form the grand esplanade of .....Broadway, which, as the once main street of Harrisburg, is now a ghost boulevard through a ghost town. Is that Rod Serling I hear?

If anyone has ever thought that the Broadway down by Hobby seemed like a strange place for a street named that, it's because it's a continuation of Harrisburg's Broadway. As mentioned, it's hard to believe you're in Houston over there.

I envision a thriving Broadway once again. Residential towers overlooking the port to the east with the skyline to the west. The urban dream has yet to reach this high potential cleft of land. But, the BRT is coming so everything should change... B), right?

Karma? Is your name Earl? B)

I don't think Broadway is doing that bad...just a different tier of commerce.

A problem in my mind is the large swath of land that TXDOT cut through for 225.

It just seems to split Harrisburg (the former town) into two parts. If that wasnt there I think you would get a more cohesive feeling - like the way harrisburg (the street) feels.

BTW, the City of Houston's Broadway was Hutchins (called West Broadway) and Dowling (called East Broadway). according to a pre-1920's map I have. I guess they renamed them when Harrisburg was Annexed in'26.

• 2 years later...
A problem in my mind is the large swath of land that TXDOT cut through for 225.

It just seems to split Harrisburg (the former town) into two parts. If that wasnt there I think you would get a more cohesive feeling - like the way harrisburg (the street) feels.

Did you know that right in that area of 225, where the freeway ends, Lawndale used to be a rr track before a road, dates back to 1800's. Name : Brazos Tap something? RR station sat at where Lawndale meets Kellogg, at a cross in the tracks. Station was used in Civil War, got soldiers to Galveston. The google maps of Harrisburg are interesting. The original plots are obvious from the map. Much bigger than later development.

• 1 month later...
Did you know that right in that area of 225, where the freeway ends, Lawndale used to be a rr track before a road, dates back to 1800's. Name : Brazos Tap something? RR station sat at where Lawndale meets Kellogg, at a cross in the tracks. Station was used in Civil War, got soldiers to Galveston. The google maps of Harrisburg are interesting. The original plots are obvious from the map. Much bigger than later development.

Anyone know what the city plans to do with that hilly area off 225 and Broadway?..It used be just broken up asphalt and where local residents used to learn how to drive...that's where I learned to drive stick! They removed the asphalt...nows it's an empty field of grass...looks tempting to roll down that hill.. .maybe continuing 225?....a park would be nice.

Anyone know what the city plans to do with that hilly area off 225 and Broadway?..It used be just broken up asphalt and where local residents used to learn how to drive...that's where I learned to drive stick! They removed the asphalt...nows it's an empty field of grass...looks tempting to roll down that hill.. .maybe continuing 225?....a park would be nice.

In all honesty, I wish they would go ahead and finish what they started 38 or so years ago, build a frwy straight into the East End. Majority of the old businesses and old homes around that area are not worth saving. They are not of any historical significance unless people consider beer dives mounments. This new Spur could enter right into Lawndale and split like they did over around U of H. I will strike up the band to commence the grand opening of this imaginary new Frwy. :D

PS, be sure to read the first post on this topic. Like a scene from "High Plains Drifter".lol

Tumbleweed rolling around, etc.

In all honesty, I wish they would go ahead and finish what they started 38 or so years ago, build a frwy straight into the East End. Majority of the old businesses and old homes around that area are not worth saving. They are not of any historical significance unless people consider beer dives mounments. This new Spur could enter right into Lawndale and split like they did over around U of H. I will strike up the band to commence the grand opening of this imaginary new Frwy. :D

PS, be sure to read the first post on this topic. Like a scene from "High Plains Drifter".lol

Tumbleweed rolling around, etc.

It just so happens that the area where 225 ends into Broadway does have historical significance. The open, undeveloped space where persons would learn how to drive off of Broadway is being developed into a park area named after John Harris.

Not far from the proposed J. R. Harris Park and just off of Lawndale is the Harrisburg-Jackson cemetery, perhaps Houston's oldest surviving African-American graveyard which dates back to before 1864. The cemetery has a Texas Historical Commission marker on the grounds and would most likely be encroached upon if Highway 225 had gone into the East End.

It just so happens that the area where 225 ends into Broadway does have historical significance. The open, undeveloped space where persons would learn how to drive off of Broadway is being developed into a park area named after John Harris.

Not far from the proposed J. R. Harris Park and just off of Lawndale is the Harrisburg-Jackson cemetery, perhaps Houston's oldest surviving African-American graveyard which dates back to before 1864. The cemetery has a Texas Historical Commission marker on the grounds and would most likely be encroached upon if Highway 225 had gone into the East End.

Good to hear that park is going in at that location. :D Very fitting! Should have happened a long time ago. Don't forget, this city area is where it all started. Railroad track right-a-ways are some of the oldest in Texas. Roads follow previous RR track lines.

So this park will be smack where the Broadway Theater once stood or across the street where driver-ed students used to practice? Either way it will one be a very, very small park. What about parking?

Can we find artists renderings? I tried a mapquest of the area to no avail.

Maybe I dream big, as to me a park should have a pool, basketball, baseball courts, picnic tables plenty of them, large public Rest rooms, bike and roller skate trails, an outdoor theater, elderly accomodations ie; chess board areas. and yes, plenty of heavy security.

This is what I call a park. This area deserves it. :)

I would think it would be on the west lot across Broadway Blvd. from the theater location. It's actually a pretty large lot. It's closer to the cemetary. GoogleEarth would show you a good image. Can you verify, Fez?

I would think it would be on the west lot across Broadway Blvd. from the theater location. It's actually a pretty large lot. It's closer to the cemetary. GoogleEarth would show you a good image. Can you verify, Fez?

Yes, the proposed J. R. Harris Park will be on the west side of Broadway Blvd. If I remember correctly, the Broadway theater was located on the east side of the boulevard where 225 ends.

I would say that the park will be several acres large with its most western point within a 100 feet from the cemetery.

Where did you hear/learn about this?..more info.

EDIT: Nevermind...found the post.

That's one of my favorite neighborhoods to go wandering around on bike. It's like being in an entirely different city. One advantage of the slow development on the east side is that a lot of old architecture has survived.

Glad you appreciate the East End. Your perspective is interesting. I grew up with it, so, naturally when I think of Houston, this is the area I think of. The neighborhoods are a unique mix. Bungalows, shotgun styles, huge 2-stories w/wrap around porches, 4-plex apts., some brick, some stucco, some wooden, have always found the mix interesting. My great-grandfather built his houses himself, rented some out. Owned a whole corner lot, w/3 lots across. I agree it has been preserved because of no interest by developers. Have mixed feelings about the new interest.

From my reading on the area, the East End of Magnolia Park is where many Hispanics first settled, to work on the dredging of the bayou, and in factories in the area. Heard of it referred to as "The Sands" (sand dredged up from the bottom of the bayou, deposited from the widening of the port). As noted in another of my posts, from an old map, that very area once had a large pond, was filled in, I imagine when the area was built up, with the dredging.

link: http://www.birdseyeviews.org/feature.php?c...eature_number=8

link to postcard-Magnolia Park Train 1904:http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txpstcrd/houston.html

Note: Another postcard listed as "Harrison Rd. Trolley" should read "Harrisburg Rd. Trolley".

• 1 month later...
It isn't that they aren't listening. It is that they don't care.

Insofar as I care, it is that they'll end up obliterating a stretch of old downtown Magnolia Park, which is already just the kind of walkable town center that actually supports transit ridership. In its place will be a kind of desolate canyon.

I really would prefer it in this case if they would do something similar to the Polk Street underpass near Cullen. Even the sidewalks are below-grade, although above the traffic, and they wouldn't have to go as deep with an underpass as they would tall with an overpass, which means that a couple blocks on either side might be saved. Plus there'd be less noise pollution from traffic.

If you could get people to fall in line with that idea, in a signature way, you'd have a future in east side politics. Not a bad alternative.

the people aren't the problem. the city is too cheap to do underpasses.

So what do you think will happen to the taxable value of the commercial properties around this overpass? And what of the larger effects? A neighborhood blighted by traffic noise will not appreciate as much. That would be justification for all the other taxable entities to chip in a little...including Harris County and GEEMD.

And since METRO seems to care so much about talking about what they've done to protect small children from Darwinism (you had to have been there to truely comprehend the absurdity)...surely they recognize the need for a pedestrian grade-seperation just like Polk has. ...for the children. :rolleyes:

the people aren't the problem. the city is too cheap to do underpasses.

The City is merely responding to the cheapassedness of the taxpayers. BTW, I don't recall musicman or Niche being among the few that believe in civic infrastructure paid for by tax revenue. Why are you two suddenly in favor of much more expensive infrastructure in this case?

BTW, I don't recall musicman or Niche being among the few that believe in civic infrastructure paid for by tax revenue. Why are you two suddenly in favor of much more expensive infrastructure in this case?

suddenly? if a more effective design can be implemented, i've never been against spending more and have stated that in the METRO threads repeatedly.

the proposed design just kills me 2000' long!!!

Something I didn't understand about it was why it would be five blocks long west of the tracks but only three blocks long to the east. You'd think that the grade would be about the same and that the peak height would be over the tracks. And its not as though there's any topography on Harrisburg, so the only realistic expectation would be that the bridge should span the same distance on either side of the tracks.

To me, it seemed like either a few blocks west of Harrisburg will luck out or (more likely) METRO will end up taking more blocks east of the tracks than they have indicated in last week's meeting...then excuse themselves on account of not having had had the engineering finalized or having any Federal oversight requirements.

Archived