Vote Watch

RedScare

The Chronicle is already reporting that Prop. 2 has passed.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/3446405

Straight people can go to sleep tonight knowing that they won't be tempted to ask someone of the same sex to marry them. We also can go to South Beach free from worry that other patrons may hound us with marriage proposals. I'm so relieved.

On a brighter note, Peter Brown appears to be carrying 55% of the vote for an at-large council seat.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Chronicle is already reporting that Prop. 2 has passed.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/3446405

Straight people can go to sleep tonight knowing that they won't be tempted to ask someone of the same sex to marry them. We also can go to South Beach free from worry that other patrons may hound us with marriage proposals. I'm so relieved.

it's the american way (history repeats)...there will be lawsuits and maybe in a few decades people will come to their senses and realize that their opinions shouldn't dictate what other grown citizens do with their lives.

at least we know the KKK is happy tonight :blink:

A stunning victory tonight for the KKK and their Republican allies! Prop 2 lives! Time to fight the good fight.

A staggering victory for the Demonic, Baby Killing, liberal-I say LIBERAL!!!-Democrats in Virginia and New Jersey! [looks like w's stop in Va. last night to campaign for tonight's loser was a wasted-or damaging?-trip.

Now about that Schwarzenegger fellow...

B)

Well, I have been able to handle Texas for 22 years, but now it is time to let it go. I have been interviewing for jobs both in Houston and outside of Texas. I think I will now focus on the jobs outside of Texas. I am not sure the "old south" ever really died, I think it just changed it's focus. I will miss Houston, but I can no longer support with my tax dollars the State of Texas. Too bad, it's been a great ride!

Not to pick, gardenoaksguy, but surely yesterday's vote is not the first hint that you had that some Texans are haters, is it?

A little perspective. Only 17% voted. 1,635,000 voted to be haters. That's only 7% of the population. In Harris County, less than 236,000 voted for it, less than 6.5% of the county population. 83% didn't care enough to even get off the couch to vote.

Texas is one of 19 states with a haters amendment. Texas is not unique.

If you are leaving because you need a change of scenery, that is understandable. But, don't leave because of this. Nothing and no one has changed. You always knew there were haters and homophobes in Texas. Today, there still are. It's just that now, you also know that some of us aren't.

B)

...it didn't work out very well for him, don't you think? :(

nmainguy is keeping the faith that wiser minds and kinder hearts will ultimatly prevail over the haters.

...and yeah? Where is ol' kjb anywho? I'd like to hear his take on the haters and their agenda to de-legitimize him.

B)

RedScare, don't disagree with you at all. I have always known about the less enlightened of Texas, but have always remained hopeful I would see a change. Don't know how old you are, but I have lived here through the "shoot the queers" days, the "straight slate", and at least 2 city elections that were lost over simply prohibiting job and housing discrimination. This doesn't even touch on the state elections. Call it a cummulative effect if you will. Sure I am tired of the humidity and mosquitos, but that is not what is driving me to leave. As for the low voter turn out, those who choose not to show their support by not voting are no more reliable than those who vote out of fear or hate. The best voting for me now is using my feet and my taxes. Yes, other states have passed similar measures, I am looking in those that are least likely to do so. I am at that age now where quality of life is most important, and little rights like being able to visit my partner if hospitalized or having him be able to benefit from my health insurance are meaningful. In other states like California that is at least a possibility and my vote can contribute to keeping those benefits. In Texas, it won't happen in my lifetime!

I know a gay couple that is also leaving the state. The immediate cause was a job offer, but a major reason that contributed to their decision to pack up and leave was what they felt was a climate of intolerance in Texas and their inability to get equivalent benefits here. Too bad. It's Houston's loss.

A stunning victory tonight for the KKK and their Republican allies! Prop 2 lives! Time to fight the good fight.

A staggering victory for the Demonic, Baby Killing, liberal-I say LIBERAL!!!-Democrats in Virginia and New Jersey! [looks like w's stop in Va. last night to campaign for tonight's loser was a wasted-or damaging?-trip.

B)

Of course, you know the KKK has such a huge influence on American politics............. :P PPPPHHHHBBBBBTTTT !

rubbish, RUBBISH I say ! Ok, a victory for the ultra-conservatives, I agree, but if this vote was so all-danged important to the Gay and Lesbian community, why the hell didn't y'all all get out there in droves and vote? I know there is a huge population out there, and others who are still in the closet who have compassion for this issue. I can honestly say, I did not vote against gay marriage. But the polls don't lie. You guys and gals didn't get out and vote ! :( I would also love to have someone hate or try to start with me because I am friends with some gay people. That would be a fun evening , both of us would be going to the hospital to remove my foot from his @$$. <----that is not in the Kinky sense either. :lol:

You can't start on MR.Schwarzenegger either, the guy has unknowingly(according to him) posed for gay mags back in the 70's. He is also married to a Kennedy, so you know he automatically gets a pass from all minority groups. Moving On ! ;)

gardenoaks, Subdude's friends, and others. This is a selfish plea on my part. I am straight, always have been, but I enjoy the lively and diverse attitudes that gays bring to a neighborhood. That's why I choose to live where I do. I have lived in Houston since 1977, almost always in the burbs. I have to admit, it was generally boring. In town, the different approaches to life spur debate and thought. If all, or even some of you guys leave, Houston will be that much more conservative, in politics, but more importantly, in life.

Let's face it, for all of the crowing of conservatives of how enlightened their lives are, it is an unexciting existence, that revolves around material goods and oppression of those views that are different than their own. I don't deny their right to wish for every city to look like Waco, with churches on every corner, but I don't wish to live there. The reason everyone loves New York, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles and San Francisco is because of the liberals there, not the conservatives. The parties, the laissez faire attitudes, the zest for living is what makes a place come alive. If all Houston is known for is Steve Hotze and Ed Young, we are doomed to boredom.

We need you guys to stick around.

*End of selfish rant*

Of course, you know the KKK has such a huge influence on American politics............. :P PPPPHHHHBBBBBTTTT !

rubbish, RUBBISH I say ! Ok, a victory for the ultra-conservatives, I agree, but if this vote was so all-danged important to the Gay and Lesbian community, why the hell didn't y'all all get out there in droves and vote? I know there is a huge population out there, and others who are still in the closet who have compassion for this issue. I can honestly say, I did not vote against gay marriage. But the polls don't lie. You guys and gals didn't get out and vote ! :( I would also love to have someone hate or try to start with me because I am friends with some gay people. That would be a fun evening , both of us would be going to the hospital to remove my foot from his @$$. <----that is not in the Kinky sense either. :lol:

You can't start on MR.Schwarzenegger either, the guy has unknowingly(according to him) posed for gay mags back in the 70's. He is also married to a Kennedy, so you know he automatically gets a pass from all minority groups. Moving On ! ;)

The KKK had a public rally in Austin. I did not see one Republican come out publicly to denounce them. It would have been so easy for anyone of them-Rick Perry included-to have shown up at the rally, address the press and tell them they oppose the KKK and everything they stand for. They couldn't do that because it would appear they were for gay marriage? Lame.

From this morning's Chronicle:

"In Harris County, turnout was about 14 percent with 70 percent of precincts reporting, though two Montrose-area precincts with substantial gay and lesbian populations reported turnouts of around 35 percent."

Still not enough but a whole lot better than the rest of the state.

My comment about Schwarzenegger has nothing to do with gay issues, Kennedys or any photos he was said to have posed for. It was about this-

From the AP:

"a stinging rebuke from voters who elected him two years ago, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's efforts to reshape state government were rejected during a special election that darkened his prospects for a second term."

50 million bucks for that "special election"-down the drain.

B)

Sounds like you really do need a new job. Many Houston companies offer benefits for domestic partners.

Mine does, and so did my last two employers.

YEp, there are alot of companies doing it. Disney being the first one to get on board. I wonder if the Baptists know about that. I smell another "boycott" coming if they find out. :D

The best way to knockdown the KKK is to not listen to their B.S. rantings. I do not know of one Republican in my circle of friends who have any views or want to have anything to do with those idiots. You being a Democrat, do you associate yourself with the Black Panther party ? Point is, KKK has no bearing on the outcome of any type of vote. It would be politcal suicide for any politician to associate with such an organization. Don;t try to throw republicans in with the KKK, you are way off base with that analogy. Here's a quick trivia question for you. Which 2 senators were actual members of The KKK ? Which one was actually a "keagle" ,or recruiter, for the KKK. Those silly Democrats, what were those crazy kids thinking ? Answer: Strom thurmond and Robert Byrd. Robert Byrd again.

Lighten up a little bit, I was making a joke about AHH-NULD !

BTW, Hey Red, my Avatar is a PSA for health care insurance. :lol:

my current and previous employer offer domestic partner benefits...and as far as "throwing republicans in with the KKK," it was merely being stated that sometimes they share the same ideology when it comes to dictating opinions B)

MidtownCoog,

"Good luck finding gay nirvana!"

Are you kidding??? Who said anything about gay nirvana? Since when did having basic human rights (at least in the U.S.) equal nirvana?

"No such place exists yet, and prehaps, it never will. "

No argument from me on this one...it will never exist for anyone, gay or straight.

"If your idea of diverstiy equals do as I say, or you are stupid, then you will never find happiness. "

I love diverse environments and differing opinions and your conclusion that wanting to live in a more accepting tolerant State means that I want everyone to be just like me or believe like me is erroneous. As for happiness, I said nothing about being unhappy. I am dissatisfied with my current situation, and like a good little consumer, will choose to shop elsewhere.

"Sounds like you really do need a new job. Many Houston companies offer benefits for domestic partners.

Mine does, and so did my last two employers."

You are more fortunate than you realize. Over 30% of the people in Houston don't have insurance at all. Most people here don't work for national companies that may offer domestic partner benefits. I happen to work in the medical field and for a hospital that is part of the UT system. No hospitals in Houston (that I know of) offers domestic partner benefits and State of Texas entities are not allowed to do so.

my current and previous employer offer domestic partner benefits...and as far as "throwing republicans in with the KKK," it was merely being stated that sometimes they share the same ideology when it comes to dictating opinions B)

Sev, I took his statement to mean, that since the Republican Party didn't "denounce" them, then we must support them. I'll do the denouncing for Gov.Perry. THE KKK SUCK ! A bunch of trailer trash nobodies who wish they had a better paying job, yet do nothing in order to obtain a better station in life. B)

Both sides need to find some middle ground.

I could really care less, which is why I chose not to vote. Yes, I am a loser for not voting.

I think it was a case of wanting too much, too fast, on gay marriage. The other side fought back, and won this round.

Gay rights have come a long way in 20 years, but to expect everyone to agree with gay-marriage so soon was obviously premature.

And when the gay marriage crowd infers that those who don't agree with them are bigots, it does not help their cause one bit.

Good luck.

That is the whole thing Coog, they could have won prop 2 easily, they didn't vote. It is only the ultra conservatives , the hardliners, that make a stink about gay marriage. Most young Republicans, who grew up in the 80's could careless, you and I being 2 of them, but the Dems are of the belief that we are a rare breed, they had already thought they were gonna lose before the voting even started, so why even try. That is why they lost.

That is the whole thing Coog, they could have won prop 2 easily, they didn't vote.... they had already thought they were gonna lose before the voting even started, so why even try. That is why they lost.

Sev, I took his statement to mean, that since the Republican Party didn't "denounce" them, then we must support them. I'll do the denouncing for Gov.Perry. THE KKK SUCK !

As I've already replied to your earlier post:

From this morning's Chronicle:

"In Harris County, turnout was about 14 percent with 70 percent of precincts reporting, though two Montrose-area precincts with substantial gay and lesbian populations reported turnouts of around 35 percent."

Still not enough but a whole lot better than the rest of the state.

A denouncement means nothing coming from you. You don't have the media's ear. Perry does. He would have scored some big points if he had just been a stand up man to the KKK.

Archived