Disneyland In Katy

HtownKid

I've tried to find it, but there was a web site totally dedicated to this series of rumors. As my user name shows, I've lived in Katy for a good long while and this rumor pops up about every 2 or 3 years.

I've lived in Katy since '83, also a good long while. It seems to me that our realtor mentioned that rumor when we were looking at houses back then.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like there are Disney rumors everywhere!

Last updated: February 14, 2007 12:56pm

Fact or Fiction: Disney's Eyeing North Texas

http://www.globest.com/news/843_843/dallas/152932-1.html

By Connie Gore

CELINA, TX-The buzz from an urban legend has quieted down with Super Bowl XLI and its hype relegated to the history books. The outstanding question still is whether or not it's fact or fiction that Walt Disney Co. has 12,000 to 15,000 acres under contract in northwestern Collin County.

About every two years, the Disney rumor circulates in North Texas. The last time, it was Kaufman County to the southeast. The rumor's frequency has created a culture of skeptics in economic development circles while brokers, sticking true to their profession, are jousting for position should it pan out...

...Texas' major economic development wins are credited to a business-friendly atmosphere, Central US positioning for easy coast to coast travel and the deep pockets of the state's enterprise fund. Celina is positioned midway between the region's top-growth cities of Frisco and McKinney and 40 miles from Downtown Dallas, a corridor boasting higher average annual incomes as more elite residential developments come on line where dirt is cheap and abundant.

From an economic development perspective, Ray Smith, president of the City of Prosper's EDC, says "my personal opinion is some landowner is trying to close some deals." Not only has he too heard the buzz, but he also knows land speculation is practically a daily occurrence in the far northern tier due to the expansion path of the Dallas North Tollway...

• 2 months later...

I actually heard that a friend of my parents' said they saw a sign in the Sealy/Columbus area that said something like Site of Future Disney Park. Has anyone heard anything else about this? I've heard these rumors for years, but until now, I've never heard of anyone seeing a sign!

I actually heard that a friend of my parents' said they saw a sign in the Sealy/Columbus area that said something like Site of Future Disney Park. Has anyone heard anything else about this? I've heard these rumors for years, but until now, I've never heard of anyone seeing a sign!

Le tme know WHERE they saw the sign, and I will go take a picture.

I understand that a large government facility is going to be built out that direction. Maybe this is what the sign is about. Disney could be a code name for the project. I would actaully be quite appropriate since all the government is pretty micky mouse and goofy anyway;)

Serioiusly though, when Disney bought the land in Florida, they used multiple "shell" corporations to purchase pieces of land, so that the problems they had in LA wouldn't repeat themselves. In LA the info got out that Disneyland was being built and folks immediately started buying up land all around where Disney said they were going to build. This is why Disneyland (LA) is so land locked and can't expand. Disney didn't want this same problem in Florida, so they did this secret buy up of the land. If I'm not mistaken, they had something like 12 different "fake" companies buy land over the course of a few years so that no one would catch on that all the land was being bought by them. So, the chances of them actually putting a sign up and saying, "Hey, we're building here." are pretty slim.

IF Disney wanted to build another park in the U.S., I think Texas would be a great location. We have great weather (ok the summers are hot, but they are in Orlando, too), LOTS of land... CHEAP land, one of the fastest growing populations in the Nation and a great economy. B)

So, the chances of them actually putting a sign up and saying, "Hey, we're building here." are pretty slim.

And you would know too, because you have been in Katy Since '82! :lol:

Does anyone have some sort of historical reference of a third park.

This just seems to be more like the Tooth Fairy than anything of substance.

Wikipedia only references Virginia/West Virginia only as a proposed new park site that failed to become real.

Nothing else was seriouly considered.

This whole thread is bogus.

your last line pretty much sums it up.

I looked into this a while back and Wiki's Virginia thing is in line with anything I've ever read. From what I found, it is belielved that the "Texas" rumor stemed from this park's failure. Eisner, upon being interviewed whent hey scrapped the plans on Disney America (the propose park in VA) said that the plans had not been scrapped entirely and they would probably not revisit them for antoher 10 to 15 years and when they did, they'd probably look at something in the "middle" since they had both coasts covered, "something like Texas."

Wikipedia only references Virginia/West Virginia only as a proposed new park site that failed to become real.

Nothing else was seriouly considered.

This whole thread is bogus.

BEAT IT THREAD NAZI ! This thread is no worse than your "BOGUS" thread about friggin Ads on here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I think they should put a Disneyland/World where Astroworld used to be...

...either there or Pasadena....

...next to the refineries...

:lol:

For the 610 location, land is considered to be too expensive for a theme park. Disney likes places where it can buy cheap land and expand.

for years, people in willis/new waverly have said that disney purchased thousands of acres up there. it's all a myth.

That's easy enough to say. How do you know, or why do you believe it to be a "myth"? Would you mind stating your sources for the "myth" comment?

Thanks,

CyKat

it is my opinion that it is a myth. people were talking about disney buying land for a new location, north of conroe, in the late 70's and the 80's and chatter started up about katy in the 90's. it's simply gossip.

You know, the Disney park rumor exists in multiple parts of the country, and here in Texas, in multiple parts of the state. Every year, somewhere new thinks they're going to get it. What's worse is that everyone is convinced that they know some secret about Disney buying up land, or some friend of a friend of a friend that works for Disney said that the new park is going to be in (Montgomery, Celina, Katy, McKinney, West Virginia, Chicago) but the truth is, it's never going to happen. Disney is not going to build a new park.

Ever since Disney purchased the land for Disneyworld in Florida in smally chunks using multiple subsidiaries and holding companies as to not give away who was making a land grab, this has been a not stop rumor in various areas of the US. When I lived on the Northwest side of town it was around Todd's Mission, the current site of the Renissance Festival. Since I have moved to Katy is has been a "frontier themed parked west of Katy". Just google some Disney expansion or related topics and you will hit a lot of links to newspapers ariticles and various sites discussing this. I don't think either Disneyland or World is over capicity, so IMO I can't see the Mouse making the HUGE investment in another park anytime soon.

• 1 month later...

A Realtor was telling me about this last weekend. She and her Broker are convinced it's coming. Sealey is where she said it'll be. Maybe there's more to this than Urban Legend, but then again, maybe not.

Put the flame throwers away.

CyKat

I think the somewhat good news is that we're a warm climate city. I doubt if there ever was another park, that it'd be somewhere up north where it gets cold. It gets cold in LA, but nothing crazy.

I would even think going up to Dallas would be too cold.

A Realtor was telling me about this last weekend. She and her Broker are convinced it's coming. Sealey is where she said it'll be. Maybe there's more to this than Urban Legend, but then again, maybe not.

Put the flame throwers away.

CyKat

If they were going to build another park in the U.S. I think Texas would be the best choice. It's between Florida and California... nice climate... booming economy... growing population.

You are the fourth person this year to give me the exact same story. In any other case, it would lend some credence to the whole thing, but the fact is, I know people who heard the same thing about here and other locations over the last twenty years. What makes you think this would be any different?

Archived