The New New Orleans

I'd like to see the footage of what got the guy arrested in the first place before they started beating him. I'm not taking the cops side, but its very rare that cops would starting beating the crap out of someone in public - especially if they didn't deserve it.

And for what its worth, NOPD is still in shambles from Katrina. Those guys probably didn't even need to be on the street in the first place.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to see the footage of what got the guy arrested in the first place before they started beating him. I'm not taking the cops side, but its very rare that cops would starting beating the crap out of someone in public - especially if they didn't deserve it.

And for what its worth, NOPD is still in shambles from Katrina. Those guys probably didn't even need to be on the street in the first place.

Did you see the footage? :blink:

The guy was already apprehended!

The guy was already apprehended!

And to quote myself again:

I'd like to see the footage of what got the guy arrested in the first place before they started beating him.

The news reports claim that he had been charged with assaulting an officer. I've been on Bourbon St., and I've watch both friends and strangers alike get arrested. They give you one try and then its your ass. Lets look at the factors:

1. It's Bourbon Street. There is a different set of rules for that playground. Anyone who has been there after dark on any given weekend knows this - or at least should know this.

2. As mentioned earlier, you get one chance to submit on Bourbon - after that, they'll break legs to get the job done. When you've got thousands of rowdy drunk people standing elbow to elbow on a narrow street, there is no room for negotiation.

3. Depending on what time of night this happened, these officers could have faced multiple assaults, arrests, and resisting arrests.

4. This happened last weekend. These cops are still tired, fatigued, and mentally worn down. I doubt they really have the same patience they had three months ago, right before Katrina hit, for a typical drunk's hyjinks such as calling the cops pigs, spitting on them, resisting arrest, or even taking a swing.

Again, I'm not taking either side. I'm saying lets see what the whole tape showed, just not the "notorious" part. I seriously doubt this guy was peacefully sipping on a hurricane or playing his saxaphone for tips when this happened.

The link I provided has the video of the event. But, the fact that the cops have already been fired ought to tell you something.

The video link from CNN, and for all the other news outlets that I've seen start at the point they're punching him. Where's the footage before that? What did he do to get arrested in the very first place?

Cops getting fired only tells me that the "brass" don't want to lose their jobs as well. They already know that if cleared of the charges, civil-service will help the accused get their jobs back.

Jeebus, the footage shows the guy retained against the wall, (any prior misconduct on the 64 yr old drunk's part is irrelevant at that point) then a cop walks up to him and punches him in the face. That's when he stomping commences. Did you see what he did to the television reporter? :unsure:

Ummm, yeah. He grabbed the producer by the shirt and slammed him up against the car. So what? Let me guess: the producer was just minding his own business, looking the other way and sipping on another Tropical Isle Grenade, when the mean ol' cop picked him out of the crowd and started bullying him for no reason.

As for the the guy getting punched, we still don't know what he did to get arrested. Maybe he was sharing a drink & kind word with the producer which just for no apparant reason, infuriated the cops?

Maybe he the cop was having a bad day. Maybe the cop was doing his job and the suspect called him a name. Perhaps the suspect kicked him landing one to the cop's crotch. Maybe the suspect spit a big snot filled lugie right in the cops eye.

Maybe he was just minding his own business. Either way, I'm demanding that all the evidence be brought forward first, but there are many who are simply demanding the police be crucified without explination.

I don't understand how anyone could defend or even question the actions of those cops.

"Maybe the cop was having a bad day? Maybe the cop was doing his job and the suspect called him a name. "

You're kidding, right?

I don't understand how anyone could defend or even question the actions of those cops.

i'll have to agree with that one...the cops looked just fine (a little snot in the eye, perhaps...) but the extent of the machismo exhibited was completely unnecessary.

• 3 weeks later...
As I (kinda) said earlier, it looks like the New Orleans Gestapo is back to normal.

I found your forum looking for some condo information. You guys must live in a real paradise and sound like some of the brightest people in Texas. I have lived in New Orleans and surounding area my adult life and have traveled extenively yet I am still here. My kids were raised here, my grand kids are going to be rasised here and somewhere. You can and put the city down because you dont know how it became this way. We are not going to drown or be washed away. Show me a black city that you would like to live in. We dont want or need Federal help except to clean up and give us some money back to make the levees strong again. The Oil companies have made billions off this state and most are in Houston. We were stupid to give it away,democratic corruption. The less money we get from the feds the better off we will be. Food stamps, section 8, social security crazy checks, welfare, free school, free medical care, and the totality of the failed programs ruins lives and cities. Something free has strings,you vote for me. This is a small segment of our society and am amazed that we do as well as we do with this handicap. How much progress have we seen on the Indian reservations with the feds in control for the last 100 years? Gaming of all things is freeing them.

Living in a small historic town isnt a bad idea. Most of the area is family oriented, interested in each other, love football, eating, drinking, fishing,music, politics and the outdoors. Rich live with poor. The problems are right there not shuffled off where people cant see them. A lot of people like the area because you dont have to keep up with the Jones' just catch more fish that Boudreaux. I think we will be better and still be different. we can have a Cinco De Mayo too. You guys can get a person on a role. Visit my condo site and buy a condo from me, free beignets,hurricanes and gumbo with each purchase. www.neworleanscondos.net

Eric-

Thanks for your opinions. I did look at your website and had a couple of questions/comments:

1. On the first page, the word "New Orleans" is spelled incorrectly

2. You ask people to query past clients, but there's nothing on the testimonials page

3. I didn't see any updated information for the area regarding effects of Katrina & Rita

Other than that, it's an interesting source of information regarding New Orleans, thanks.

Eric-

Thanks for your opinions. I did look at your website and had a couple of questions/comments:

1. On the first page, the word "New Orleans" is spelled incorrectly

2. You ask people to query past clients, but there's nothing on the testimonials page

3. I didn't see any updated information for the area regarding effects of Katrina & Rita

Other than that, it's an interesting source of information regarding New Orleans, thanks.

Thanks I will check that out. Concentrated content and photos of areas and info and not puffing my self as most agents will do. In some areas you would not know there was a hurricane. Other areas look like a plague came and went. I have been so busy that updates are harder to make these days, it takes much longer to do simple things most take for granted. Phone calls, lack of mail, traffic, eating lunch,dealing with sellers that want too much and buyers that have been wiped out. I get on edge and complain too but have to help right the ship and hustle my butt off while there is business for me. Starting over from scratch is a life changing experience for many of my friends and co-workers. Words and simple things do matter. Back to work and find my mispellings,wow. thanks eric

I'd love to see more of your comments and observations from your perspective, Eric! :)

It will take time but many people will have to move on. I believe the population will be older. The schools cannot get worse,the public schools are horrible in Orleans with the exception of the magnets schools. This is a result of the Great Society Keepers and their programs. Many people are willing to take over schools but the racial politics keeps it from happening. There is money and companies that will contribute and make it better if the schools are for kids learning and not a form of cash for freinds and cronies. Whites left the system years ago and did middle class blacks. Spending 9k per kid and getting very little return is a crime. The state sticks it head in the sand because not wanting to offend the black voters. This is an honest evaluation of a major problem that needs to be solved. Most people want their kids to improve but dont have the chance. Its a crazy dilema that the solutions are simple,disolve the present system as nothing works. This problem faces many cities but few have solutions to actually solve things. I am a simpleton and can see the solution. that is the school issue, educate your people to stand on their own. eric

• 2 weeks later...
It will be called Nuevo Orleones.

It will be predominately hispanic, as illegals are flocking there in droves for all of the construction jobs

The tensions are already happening. Mayor Nagin is worried about his town being "overun with Mexican workers" while the state's unemployment is at depression era levels. This will be interesting to watch.

Article here.

New Orleans went 11 and a half weeks without a murder. The last murder occurred August 27, 2 days prior to Hurricane Katrina.

um...what?!

Various news agencies reported on murders inside the SuperDome, complete with photographs of the deceased (and references to others too grisly to be shown on TV.) There were also eyewitness accounts of gunfire being exchanged in the streets. Are we to believe that none of those bullets found their mark?

Sorry, I cannot believe that assertion. Perhaps you meant to say that no one had been charged with murder? That's quite a different matter.

No, the article means what it says. Americans' perceptions, based on unsubstantiated news reports, however, is a different story altogether.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9503449/

From the MSNBC article:

Four homicide victims identified

New Orleans District Attorney Eddie Jordan said officials at the morgue in St. Gabriel have identified four apparent homicide victims from the city. All were shot and all were adults.

Is it just me, or is this sloppily written? What's meant by 'identified four apparent homicide victims'? So the rest of them weren't murdered? Or that, of the murdered ones, we know the identity of four of them, and we're not sure who the other ones are? Or that there were at least four who were murdered, and we're not sure if there's more or not?

But at least they make the point that, for sure, four were murdered. Four is more than none. And we'll assume that these aren't old, stale pre-Katrina corpses.

Going back to the Chroniclearticle, notice that these claims of no murders are all based on police reports. As a defense attorney, do you believe that if the police say something that it must be true?

I have no doubt that some of the claims that people made during the aftermath of Katrina were unsubstantiated, perhaps even untrue. But I also believe that officials who want to see New Orleans rebuilt are also capable of trying to re-establish a positive image by discrediting everything that was reported during the aftermath - whether it was true or not.

"And we'll assume that these aren't old, stale pre-Katrina corpses."

Why do you assume that? Of the numerous stories that came out way after the fact, describing the violence at the Superdome as overstated, many describe only one murder victim, who appeared to have been brought to the dome from somewhere else. As a defense attorney, I also know full well how the coroner can date time of death.

While I find the claim of no murders somewhat surprising, given New Orleans previous reputation, I don't find it impossible, or even implausible. It is common for crime to plummet during crises, especially a personal crime like murder. Given that evacuations began Aug. 27, it is not surprising that residents were too distracted to get into murderous arguments. Afterwards, there were few people left to commit any crimes.

"And we'll assume that these aren't old, stale pre-Katrina corpses."

Why do you assume that? Of the numerous stories that came out way after the fact, describing the violence at the Superdome as overstated, many describe only one murder victim, who appeared to have been brought to the dome from somewhere else. As a defense attorney, I also know full well how the coroner can date time of death.

I make this assumption because the article is entitled "Crimes after Katrina may have been overblown". In other words, why would they even mention stiffs they happened to have laying around which dated from before the storm? Why drag in irrelevant corpses?

You're correct, of course, in that I'm making an assumption based on facts not in evidence. As I pointed out in my previous post, this article is badly written. Perhaps that's why I find it unconvincing.

Sure, we should view with skepticism the media reports issued during the immediate aftermath of Katrina. My point is, we should also remain skeptical about those who attempt to dismiss these reports wholesale. The vague, ambiguous, poorly referenced articles you cited are no more credible than that which was reported several weeks ago.

What I'm saying is that New Orleans has nothing to gain by confirming that murders took place. Crime statistics are not like weather reports - inconvenient data can be ignored. Downplaying the violence which took place during the aftermath of Katrina will help to reestablish New Orleans as a 'fun' city in people's minds. Confirming it would be counterproductive - especially if there's no chance of prosecution.

"Sure, we should view with skepticism the media reports issued during the immediate aftermath of Katrina. My point is, we should also remain skeptical about those who attempt to dismiss these reports wholesale. The vague, ambiguous, poorly referenced articles you cited are no more credible than that which was reported several weeks ago."

I don't blame your skepticism. In fact, I agree with it, especially in light of the fact that it is the same agency, AP, reporting both contradictory stories.

However suspect the date of the last previous murder, with the number of troops and police in NO for the last 2 and a half months, I suspect that the city has gone awhile without a homicide.

Archived