The New New Orleans

I'd like to suggest that the New New Orleans will likely by on par with cities like Savannah, Galveston, and Charleston, S.C.--maybe a little larger. Each of those four cities were peers in the colonial times--bustling Southern ports that could rival the likes of Baltimore, Boston, and Philadelphia in many ways.

I think that NOLA may not be the largest city in the state--or it could still end up being so. But it will still be THE place in Louisiana for people to go, just as Charleston isn't the biggest city in SC, but it is the place to go.

The French quarter would be like the colonial areas of Savannah and Charleston--almost a "romantic" type area, and I think that NOLA may play more to its history than its party lifestyle.

Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting food for thought, Governor Aggie!

When I think of NOLA, I naturally think of the people who live there, the New Orleans jazz music, the smells of creole cooking in the Quarter, the riverboats. It's always been a little seedy, a little dangerous, a little FUN in NOLA, and the special ingredient in all this mix is the people. My question is what if a majority of the residents don't come back? What if people like Tillman Fertitta come in and create a homogenized Disney like version of what they think New Orleans should be? YUK! What would New York City be without the rude cab drivers, the stinky alleys, the dirty subways, and the fast-talking New Yorkers? It just wouldn't be New York anymore, would it? The people of New Orleans are such an integral part of what makes New Orleans the fascinating town it is, I hope they are able to come back home and re-create their town the way they remember it and perhaps build upon that to make it even better this time.

The outgoing tide took a lot of buildings and people with it, never to return, but the incoming tide will bring new people and new buildings.

Assuming the decision is finally made to start reconstruction, there will have to be a lengthy building boom. Affordable housing of some sort will be built, maybe along the lines of Habitat for Humanity single-family. New, simple houses on grid streets with mature street trees in many cases. Pretty unique for a 21st century city. Or, maybe some homeowners will rebuild townhouse with insurance money and decide to rent or sell any additional units on the formerly-single home lots. I'm assuming there is zoning so maybe that won't be permitted, but once those insurance checks get posted, some at least will look for ways to build for profit. New apartments will have to be built quickly too to handle the returning refugees as well as new arrivals.

As for the people, can we assume that many Hispanic construction workers will arrive in droves? Many are probably already planning to go. A lot will stay and many parts of the city could go Spanish quickly. The building boom could be accompanied by a baby boom if women arrive soon after. This could turn New Orleans around population-wise in a fairly short time.

It will be interesting to see if the Feds or the State come up with any job training/rebuild type projects where they can put people to work and rebuild the city with natives. Unfortunately, these projects are usually financially bloated but can give people job skills.

I'd like to suggest that the New New Orleans will likely by on par with cities like Savannah, Galveston, and Charleston, S.C.--maybe a little larger.  Each of those four cities were peers in the colonial times--bustling Southern ports that could rival the likes of Baltimore, Boston, and Philadelphia in many ways. 

I think that NOLA may not be the largest city in the state--or it could still end up being so.  But it will still be THE place in Louisiana for people to go, just as Charleston isn't the biggest city in SC, but it is the place to go. 

The French quarter would be like the colonial areas of Savannah and Charleston--almost a "romantic" type area, and I think that NOLA may play more to its history than its party lifestyle.

Just my 2 cents.

I think once Mardi Gras comes back to the French Quarter in full force (which might not be until 2007), French Quarter will be just as vibrant as it was before. In fact, I predict the French Quarter will not only be the first ones to recover financially, but I think the French Quarter would be the leading force that will get New Orleans back up again.

• 2 weeks later...

I write this sitting behind my computer in New Orleans. First day back... lots of damage, but the city's still there. We'll be back. Unfortunately, many neighborhoods are ruined, and will have to be bulldozed. But, most of the neighborhoods that made this city famous... survived. The French Quarter, Uptown, Treme... all spared. The 9th ward will be torn down, in all likelyhood. And that neighborhood needed to be torn down. It was a haven for crime. It offered very little to the city, and it contributed to all of it's problems. Other flooded neighborhoods were normal run-of-the-mill neighborhoods that you'd see in any city in America. I feel for all of those who lost their homes. I hope they come back and rebuild. If they don't, we'll still make it. As mayor Nagin said today... "we're about to find out who the real New Orleanians are." And, I'm in that number. Thanks for all of your support... especially yall in Texas... we'll never forget it.

You're welcome TS. We were very proud to be able to help a coastal sister city. We look forward to helping with our tourist dollars as well.

A bit of advice...if all of our tract home builders show up with their tract home plans, run them out! Use the voodoo dolls if you have to! We already have enough of those houses here. Don't ruin New Orleans with them. :P

Oh man, why didn't I think of that? Let's not clean up the toxic waste. Hey, let's abandon the city! Great idea! And yes, the water will be contaminated forever. Man, somebody needs to call the president and cancel this rebuilding effort. Come on man, are you this naive?

Come on man, are you this naive?

Yes, some of them are. Now, they wouldn't be so quick to condemn their OWN hometown, mind you, but your hometown, they have no problem giving up on.

These are the same people, BTW, who will quickly tell you that the good ole US of A is the greatest country on earth. And they have no problem wasting tax dollars on needless wars and trips to Mars. But, save New Orleans...why that's just a waste of money.

Sure hope nobody says that if Houston takes a big hit this weekend.

Oh man, why didn't I think of that? Let's not clean up the toxic waste. Hey, let's abandon the city! Great idea! And yes, the water will be contaminated forever. Man, somebody needs to call the president and cancel this rebuilding effort. Come on man, are you this naive?

I suggested exactly none of that, you hysterical loon. You're reading what you want to read.

That other guy is right -- this is going to cost some money to fix, and all of the Gulf Opportunity Zones in the world won't change the fact that the place will be messed up for a while (and letting big companies off the hook environmentally might even make things worse).

But ten years, I mean, come on, that's not a very long time. I'm sure things will be fine.

Well, not to be a total ass, but it's not like you didn't know it would happen eventually.

And if you're like most NOLA homeowners, at least you've got your homeowners insurance, flood insurance, your bank account, and probably your car to console you. Talk about a silver lining -- at least you weren't one of the folks starving or getting raped in the Superdome.

Anyway, if Rita nails Houston head-on I'll move someplace to the north and west and never look back.

Judah, point taken. And really, good luck with Rita. I mean it. I like Houston, and we owe a debt of gratitude to yall for taking our people in. Good luck. Hopefully Rita will go somewhere down the coast... maybe to one of those less populated counties along the coast. I'll be thinking about yall.

Now that we know Houston was spared and we can hopefully get past the name calling and shot taking, it is time to address an issue facing New Orleans. This is a watershed (pun intended) moment for the city. It can take this opportunity to rebuild itself (and its protective surroundings) in a way that will economically lift the entire area. Or, it can rebuild itself as the tourist destination that was predominantly poor, crime filled, and dirty. I know there are nice areas in New Orleans and I have visited those areas as well as the FQ. However, just with any reasonable review, you must throw out the high and low extremes and look at the majority in the middle.

Throwing out the affluent neighborhoods and the FQ, you are left with a poor, mostly lower middle class city. This is not a shot a those folks, but having a population mostly dependant on the government for its existence is no way to foster growth. The same people (of all colors) that depend on the government for a daily check are now the ones screaming to have their old neighborhoods rebuilt. I hope that the officials in NOLA and WDC have the courage to stand up and provide for these folks in a way that will help EVERYONE long term.

Give a man a fish...Teach a man to fish.

This is a huge opportunity to bring the City out of a generations old funk. Let's raise the quality of life for everyone in NOLA. A rising tide raises all ships (to use my last appropriate pun).

Good luck over there.

TNJ

• 2 weeks later...
that made my stomach hurt
How do you think the drunk felt?

It was bad enough those thug cops beat up on the guy, but it was the way they tried to supress the Free Press that bothered me the most. They should be thrown in jail!

Archived