Charles Chips

Charles Chips?  Back in the early 70's when I was a little girl a big brown delivery truck would stop at our house and deliver those big cans of Charles Chips.  We got the regular and BBQ flavors.  Man they were delicious!

YUP! The Voss Randalls carried them in brown bags for a little while. Love those things.

Charles Chips?  Back in the early 70's when I was a little girl a big brown delivery truck would stop at our house and deliver those big cans of Charles Chips.  We got the regular and BBQ flavors.  Man they were delicious!

You are reading my mind. I just mentioned those on another thread. I remember them coming in big cans and being delivered.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Does anyone remember Dentler's potato chips?

I remember Dentler's.

I remember my sisters and I pulling them out of our lunch bags as we walked to school.

I remember us throwing them in the ditch.

I remember they were just about the crappiest, greaseist potato chips ever.

I remember my mom replacing them with Fritos and/or Lays once she discovered we were tossing the crap.

I remember being happy after that. :D

B)

I remember Dentler's.

I remember my sisters and I pulling them out of our lunch bags as we walked to school.

I remember us throwing them in the ditch.

I remember they were just about the crappiest, greaseist potato chips ever.

I remember my mom replacing them with Fritos and/or Lays once she discovered we were tossing the crap.

I remember being happy after that. :D

B)

I remember my mom buying Dentler's potato chips when I was a kid. Alongside the bag of Dentler's, I also remember her buying DUZ laundry detergent that came with a drinking glass in the box. She would also buy another detergent called BREEZE which came with a wash cloth (small box), dish towel (medium box), or a bath towel (large box).

Does anyone else out there remember one or both of those detergents?

Duz sounds vaguely familiar..some three-lettered soap brand

Speaking of gifts in products.

Does anyone remember Crystal Wedding Oats (i think that was it)?

they had plastic cups buried in each box of oatmeal.

DUZ does everything! How about Dreft, Lux, Oxydol, Rinso Blue and Rinso White? And

maface.gif

Mrs. Stewart's Liquid Bluing?

I also remember our first washing machine, with the hand-cranked ringers.

I don't remember Breeze, but I know Mother did buy a dish detergent a couple of times that had dish towels in the box.

Premiums used to be a big deal. I still have some of the chili bowls and Tweety Bird and Sylvester the Cat drinking glasses I collected for filling up my car at the Humble/Enco/Esso station on San Jacinto at Duval when I was working my way thru UT. Heckuva lot better than just a fake tiger tail to tie onto your gas cap.

Anybody remember Queen-sized cigarettes? "Chesterfield Queens, the length you've been looking for in the taste you've learned to love." I think the term 'queens' was dropped for '100s' after a short time.

DUZ does everything! How about Dreft, Lux, Oxydol, Rinso Blue and Rinso White? And

maface.gif

I don't remember Breeze, but I know Mother did buy a dish detergent a couple of times that had dish towels in the box.

Premiums used to be a big deal. I still have some of the chili bowls and Tweety Bird and Sylvester the Cat drinking glasses I collected for filling up my car at the Humble/Enco/Esso station on San Jacinto at Duval when I was working my way thru UT. Heckuva lot better than just a fake tiger tail to tie onto your gas cap.

Anybody remember Queen-sized cigarettes? "Chesterfield Queens, the length you've been looking for in the taste you've learned to love." I think the term 'queens' was dropped for '100s' after a short time.

YIKES! I use Mrs. Stewert's bluing! You can still get it at Randalls and Kroger. Am I the only one that uses it????? :o

B)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Charles Chips? Back in the early 70's when I was a little girl a big brown delivery truck would stop at our house and deliver those big cans of Charles Chips. We got the regular and BBQ flavors. Man they were delicious!

When I lived in Houston, a brand of potato chips called Morton's was popular. I remember they made something called "Chip-O's".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
When I lived in Houston, a brand of potato chips called Morton's was popular. I remember they made something called "Chip-O's".

I remember Dentler's. They were in the brown and red bag. I would always find green or burnt potato chips in each bag. I thought that was normal back then. Poor little kid.

I remember Dentler's. They were in the brown and red bag. I would always find green or burnt potato chips in each bag. I thought that was normal back then. Poor little kid.

Yep, the green one's were okay, but the burnt ones sucked.............in my brain anyway! I had forgotten about Dentlers. Charlie chips were good too - and delivered!

Sheesh, I feel like a kid again! We actually knew the Dentler family and I recall a soiree at someone's home with Mr. & Mrs. Dentler as guests and I was very disappointed they didn't bring free potato chips for us. However, I will confirm they were awfully greasy and the everpresent green ones frightened me.

Duz and Breeze, you bet. And there was always some kid's goodie in every box of cereal. It was a really sad day when you bought products and that's all you got. Our washing machine was in the garage and my lazy mother made me do all the churning of the wringer. Hey, those things were stiff and tough to turn with tiny arms and no muscle. We also had a metal tub and wood and metal scrub board for "hand washing."

Here is one y'all haven't mentioned - do-it-yourself dry cleaning at home. I shudder still at how noxious it was. You'd get a big can of Naptha, vilest smell in the world and dip your woolens in it in the back yard, then hang them to "air." The smell never really dissipated, however, gag.

Can you top this Mrs. Stewart's Bluing story? Of course, we used it on all our "whites" in the 40s and 50s, standard fare. However, in 1983, the year my first husband died, my 15 year old daughter and I were living at our farm in Leon County, out of Leona. She was raising chickens for the county fair. Her 4H advisor told us to wash the 4 representative white chickens in our bathtub and then do a round of bluing on them the night before the competition. I about fell over. I remember saying to him, "Ack, they still make Mrs. Stewart's?" Yes and we bought some and did it - no, overdid it!

The next day, proudly displayed were the only BLUE chickens at the fair. No prizes for her and she had a helluva time even getting them sold, which was the point. Finally made a deal, assuring the wealthy couple in question that these were the only blue ones out of 50 and happily came home with a check for $125. The catch? I had to kill, clean, pluck them all, half and place in Zip-Loc bags for their big BBQ Bash. You do the math. And I have never used bluing again for any purpose!

Sheesh, I feel like a kid again! We actually knew the Dentler family and I recall a soiree at someone's home with Mr. & Mrs. Dentler as guests and I was very disappointed they didn't bring free potato chips for us. However, I will confirm they were awfully greasy and the everpresent green ones frightened me.

Duz and Breeze, you bet. And there was always some kid's goodie in every box of cereal. It was a really sad day when you bought products and that's all you got. Our washing machine was in the garage and my lazy mother made me do all the churning of the wringer. Hey, those things were stiff and tough to turn with tiny arms and no muscle. We also had a metal tub and wood and metal scrub board for "hand washing."

Here is one y'all haven't mentioned - do-it-yourself dry cleaning at home. I shudder still at how noxious it was. You'd get a big can of Naptha, vilest smell in the world and dip your woolens in it in the back yard, then hang them to "air." The smell never really dissipated, however, gag.

Can you top this Mrs. Stewart's Bluing story? Of course, we used it on all our "whites" in the 40s and 50s, standard fare. However, in 1983, the year my first husband died, my 15 year old daughter and I were living at our farm in Leon County, out of Leona. She was raising chickens for the county fair. Her 4H advisor told us to wash the 4 representative white chickens in our bathtub and then do a round of bluing on them the night before the competition. I about fell over. I remember saying to him, "Ack, they still make Mrs. Stewart's?" Yes and we bought some and did it - no, overdid it!

The next day, proudly displayed were the only BLUE chickens at the fair. No prizes for her and she had a helluva time even getting them sold, which was the point. Finally made a deal, assuring the wealthy couple in question that these were the only blue ones out of 50 and happily came home with a check for $125. The catch? I had to kill, clean, pluck them all, half and place in Zip-Loc bags for their big BBQ Bash. You do the math. And I have never used bluing again for any purpose!

That's a wonderful story about those blue chickens!

Speaking of scrub boards, new metal ones are still available. However, the old, beat-up ones are often sold as antiques or "country collectibles". Even more collectible are the scrub boards made during WWII with glass replacing the metal!

I remember dry-cleaning my father's silk neckties in naphtha at home in the back yard. When they were dry, I had to press them with a tapered cardboard insert inside and a pressing cloth on top so they wouldn't get scorched. He could have sent them to the cleaners with his suits but claimed they charged too much and didn't get the grease spots out.

• 7 months later...

maface.gif

You mentioned Humble/Enco/Esso. When I was a kid I remember Enco/Humble stations being over here in Texas. But when we would drive over to Louisiana, they were Esso/Humble. Now I've found out why, but maybe someone out there can try to help me understand the wording of this sentence from Wikipedia:

"[standard Oil Company] was restricted from using ESSO in the U.S.A. except in those states awarded to it in the 1911 Standard Oil antitrust settlement."

Now help me out: what does awarded to it mean? "Awarded" to "what"? What is "it"?

The stations in the other states were called ENCO (for ENergy COmpany) or HUMBLE. The other Standard Oil spinoff station protested against using ESSO because it was pronounce S-O, which they thought sounded too close to Standard Oil.

You mentioned Humble/Enco/Esso. When I was a kid I remember Enco/Humble stations being over here in Texas. But when we would drive over to Louisiana, they were Esso/Humble. Now I've found out why, but maybe someone out there can try to help me understand the wording of this sentence from Wikipedia:

"[standard Oil Company] was restricted from using ESSO in the U.S.A. except in those states awarded to it in the 1911 Standard Oil antitrust settlement."

Now help me out: what does awarded to it mean? "Awarded" to "what"? What is "it"?

"It" refers to Standard Oil Company. "States awarded to it" refers to the breakup of Standard Oil by the US Supreme Court; as part of the settlement, the surviving companies had restrictions placed on the use of the various brand names (such as Esso and Enco) that depended on which states they operated in.

Esso

Standard Oil

I truly thought Kettle Chips were the "end all, be all" of chips. But I recently discovered Cape Cod Brand's new Sharp Cheddar and Sour Cream flavor. ! AYE CARAMBA ! I think they have black tar heroin mixed in them or something because they are most addictive !