Charles Chips

"It" refers to Standard Oil Company. "States awarded to it" refers to the breakup of Standard Oil by the US Supreme Court; as part of the settlement, the surviving companies had restrictions placed on the use of the various brand names (such as Esso and Enco) that depended on which states they operated in.

Esso

Standard Oil

Thanks. Wikipedia has more than I thought. On TexasFreeway.Com, it has some photos of State Highway 225 going west from the Shell Refinery to where it ends near IH-610. One of the photos looking west shows some refinery oil tanks. They are now just plain white, but I remember them as a little kid as Sinclair with the big green dinosaur logo. Sinclair later changed its name to ARCO. I don't know what happened to it, if it was merged with another company or what.

Oh, I almost forgot that the subject of this topic is potato chips. Well, from back at that time that I'm referring to, I remember Morton's Potato Chips. They made a corn chip called Chip-Os. I haven't seen or heard anything about Morton's in years. They were salty but good.

I truly thought Kettle Chips were the "end all, be all" of chips. But I recently discovered Cape Cod Brand's new Sharp Cheddar and Sour Cream flavor. ! AYE CARAMBA ! I think they have black tar heroin mixed in them or something because they are most addictive !

You need to try the Spicy Thai . . . those are the best ones Kettle makes.

• 10 months later...

I remember Chip O's Corn Chips by Morton Foods. I lived in Lubbock, TX and there was the Mortons Potato chip Co. right there in Lubbock. Those Chips were really good, but they smelled like the kid who peed in the bed and came and sat next to the heater at school the next morning. Don't mean to be gross or graphic.

Bluzman

• 1 month later...
I remember Chip O's Corn Chips by Morton Foods. I lived in Lubbock, TX and there was the Mortons Potato chip Co. right there in Lubbock. Those Chips were really good, but they smelled like the kid who peed in the bed and came and sat next to the heater at school the next morning. Don't mean to be gross or graphic.

Bluzman

Talk about a delay in laughter! That was hilarious. I nearly had to myself.

Your "chips" makes me think of how kids used to always be chewing on sunflower seeds. They were very popular in mid 70's at least from my memory in Jr High. It was kind of a drag to put your books under the desk and there is a whole mound of old sunflower seed shells. Thats kind of gross too. Now I feel like buying some just thinking about it. :D

Sunflower_Seeds.jpg

A neat little story I picked up at the Kroger's store the other day. Potato Chips were made by accident but on purpose at the same time. Apparently a chef in New York was put off by a customer who had told him that his potatos were not cooked enough and sent them back to the chef. The chef in turn decided to cut some potatoes extra thin then tried to burn them up and doused them with salt and pepper and sent the potatos back out to the customer. The customer absolutely LOVED them, and asked for more, and a new menu item was born. At least that is what the little video said.

A neat little story I picked up at the Kroger's store the other day. Potato Chips were made by accident but on purpose at the same time. Apparently a chef in New York was put off by a customer who had told him that his potatos were not cooked enough and sent them back to the chef. The chef in turn decided to cut some potatoes extra thin then tried to burn them up and doused them with salt and pepper and sent the potatos back out to the customer. The customer absolutely LOVED them, and asked for more, and a new menu item was born. At least that is what the little video said.

Sounds familiar, like I saw it on the Food channel or something. So maybe it's true.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I remember Charles Chips, and the big dark trucks that used to deliver them (if I remember correctly, they looked a bit like the UPS trucks). Seems silly these days; the idea of delivering cans of potato chips to people's homes. I think I remember seeing the familiar bags once again showing up in grocery stores (like Kroger), a few years ago. Haven't seen them recently though...

Yeah, I remember Charles Chips, and the big dark trucks that used to deliver them (if I remember correctly, they looked a bit like the UPS trucks). Seems silly these days; the idea of delivering cans of potato chips to people's homes. I think I remember seeing the familiar bags once again showing up in grocery stores (like Kroger), a few years ago. Haven't seen them recently though...

I believe that Cracker Barell still sells Charles Chips in the original tin. I've been in there a few times and they always have a tin on the back wall. Maybe it's just for looks but I swear you can buy it.

I truly thought Kettle Chips were the "end all, be all" of chips. But I recently discovered Cape Cod Brand's new Sharp Cheddar and Sour Cream flavor. ! AYE CARAMBA ! I think they have black tar heroin mixed in them or something because they are most addictive !

OH MY GOSH you ain't every lyin' :lol:

They are my one "luxury" item I allow myself to get. I personally love the Salt & Vinegar the most but the Cheddar & Sour Cream are a close second.

OH MY GOSH you ain't every lyin' :lol:

They are my one "luxury" item I allow myself to get. I personally love the Salt & Vinegar the most but the Cheddar & Sour Cream are a close second.

When the US gets the ketchup-flavored chips they have in Canada and Mexico, then I'll be happy.

:blush:

When the US gets the ketchup-flavored chips they have in Canada and Mexico, then I'll be happy.

:blush:

My Canadian friends are missing the Philadelphia Cream Cheese - Dill Dip...couldn't understand (at first) why we drink so much Iced Tea (nice alternative to water) & Light Beer...now they know, 100 degree weather. :P They say that Molson Canadian Beer here is different than at home.

My Canadian friends are missing the Philadelphia Cream Cheese - Dill Dip...couldn't understand (at first) why we drink so much Iced Tea (nice alternative to water) & Light Beer...now they know, 100 degree weather. :P They say that Molson Canadian Beer here is different than at home.

I wonder if the beer is brewed in a different location? I remember being very excited when we first got Coors up in Canada, then much to my dismay, I read the label and found that it was made in Toronto. No Rocky Mountain spring water there.

Charles Chip tin's were the best! I remember using the tins for everything growing up.

Side note - Molsen beer is very different here in the US. I used to date a girl from Alaska and we would get it from over the border and it is a ton better.

Charles Chip tin's were the best! I remember using the tins for everything growing up.

Side note - Molsen beer is very different here in the US. I used to date a girl from Alaska and we would get it from over the border and it is a ton better.

Some of the Canadians say it has to do with alcohol content. Probably a lot of reasons.

Even though they may have the same brand, I think that often beer recipes differ by country.

• The title was changed to Charles Chips