Pub Fiction At 2303 Smith St.

Htowngirl

A little late, but I got an email today from BAR Houston thanking their patrons for the past 4 years (it closed in August).

Also in the e-mail was this:

"Michael Paolucci (formerly of BAR Houston) and Blini Hoxha have teamed up to bring you Pub Fiction, a Midtown Pub scheduled to open in February of 2005. This will be a bar and restaurant for all occasions. Upscale lounge and grill featuring Sports, Live Music, DJ, Large patios, Happy Hours and much more. If you would like an invite to the grand opening, please sign up at www.PubFiction.com!"

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Any idea where they might put it?

I did talk to the Gen Manager of Copa Room in July, and he said then that they were going to put a sports bar/live music venue on the 4th corner of that complex sometime soon. I'm wondering if this is what he was talking about. ??

Anyways, more businesses to Midtown, yay!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I looked in to the window of that location today and it doesn't seem like they have done any work. I know the bar business isn't easy but so far it doesn't look like they have made progress. Hopefully soon.

Construction is scheduled to start within the next couple of weeks. I think their goal is to be open by Early March.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

email i received from their newsletter list today:

PUB FICTION BREAKS GROUND ON CONSTRUCTION

On February 9, 2005, we began renovating the 2303 Smith Street Building, which will be the future home of Pub Fiction. If you don't remember, Pub Fiction is the first collaboration of Michael Paolucci and Blini Hoxha, both formerly of BAR Houston. Pub Fiction will be Midtown

midtown_resident beat me to most of it, but also from the email, an "opening date":

"Whether after work or after 9, the party will always be rolling. Enjoy it all inside, or outside on our patios! Starting in Early MAY!!!! -"

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Professional Hornblower

Yeah I used to love going to BAR for free drinks. I even had a tooth chipped there after getting into it with the bathroom attendant. LOL.

Blini is opening it up real soon, and hopefully he will be as generous with PUB as he was with BAR. Blini's a real cool guy who I believe was taking classes at UH for construction administration or something.

I stopped by there yesterday. The place looks great! Michael was telling me they are still expecting to open in mid-May. Also, I was told the construction of their new patio, which is over 1,000 square feet, starts this week. I can't wait for this place to open, it should be a great addition to Midtown!!!!

I stopped by there yesterday.  The place looks great!  Michael was telling me they are still expecting to open in mid-May.  Also, I was told the construction of their new patio, which is over 1,000 square feet, starts this week.  I can't wait for this place to open, it should be a great addition to Midtown!!!!

Is Blini still going to do the "happy hour" thing that he did at BAR?

I hope so, cuz there was nothing better than going to BAR on friday and drinkin' some red wine and ticklin' that concrete floor with my dancin' feet.

Are chicks still going to dance on the bar-top? Or is this more like a laid-back lounge. My gut is telling me it's more of the latter. Hopefully it will be both a laid back lounge for young professionals, as well as a place for barely-legal teens to dance on the bar and yell "Woooooo!!"

-The Hornblower.

that's what I figured.

:(

it opens. Where's it located exactly? Is it near Red Door? And who are you and how do you know Blini? Are you his business partner?

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by Pub Fiction today. It looks like they are getting close. The new patio and parking lot are done. Also, that horrible fence around the lot is gone, so it looks a lot more open. In an e-mail from them last week they said they are waiting for the "CO" from the city. It looks like it will be a good addition to Midtown.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by Pub Fiction on Saturday night for their soft opening. The place looks great!!!! Also, the food was much better than what you would expect to get at a bar. This place is definitely a must for anyone in the midtown area. The door guy told me their grand opening is May 27th; however, they are doing soft openings all this week.

Kim1980,

What's it like? Laid back? Upscale? I'm looking forward to a new place in Midtown... :) Hopefully I'll be able to check it out this weekend.

------------------------

Got this on email...

"PUB OFFICIALLY OPENS

FRIDAY MAY 27TH @ 4 PM

As many of you know it has been a long and winding road to get Pub Fiction open. We would like thank everyone for the encouragment along the way. Pub will be open 7 days a week from 4pm-2am with an outstanding food menu being served until 10pm.

Whether you are looking for Live music, DJ's or a JukeBox, Pub Fiction will have it all this weekend!

Come be one of the first to experience Midtown's newest addition!"

Kim1980,

What's it like?  Laid back?  Upscale?  I'm looking forward to a new place in Midtown... :)  Hopefully I'll be able to check it out this weekend.

------------------------

Got this on email...

"PUB OFFICIALLY OPENS

FRIDAY MAY 27TH @ 4 PM

As many of you know it has been a long and winding road to get Pub Fiction open.  We would like thank everyone for the encouragment along the way.  Pub will be open 7 days a week from 4pm-2am with an outstanding food menu being served until 10pm. 

Whether you are looking for Live music, DJ's or a JukeBox, Pub Fiction will have it all this weekend!

Come be one of the first to experience Midtown's newest addition!"

It has a little bit for everyone. A nice large patio plus the main lounge looks great! Looks like an upscale loft. They are building a stage in the main room for bands a couple of nights a week plus they have DJ's on Saturday nights playing house mixes. However, if you don't like the band they have another room that is a modern irish pub that has a jukebox.

Also, the food was great!!!! So, to answer your question it is upscale, but laid back at the same time.

My dads business (I work for) sells meat (good meat) to "Pub Fiction" TOO Weird y'all dabbled in this!

I remember the owner calling work for a coworker and I thought the guy on the phone kept saying, "Pulp Fiction"!! LOL! and yet he's VERY cool! (actually called today) ...too funny!!!

I swear y'all get more into my life then I could want! LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

we went after the stros game saturday afternoon. good place, friendly staff, but they're still working things out. we ordered a pitcher of frozen ritas, they were still learning on how to use the blender. the nachos were great though, and they have plenty on tap so you can't go wrong with that. they were really nice and apologetic, and everything but the ritas were great.

we walked back by later that night and there was a good crowd, but we didn't go in since we probably weren't dressed appropriately (shorts/caps) for the night crowd.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I went here about a month ago and wanted to leave before I even ordered a drink. Did not like the vibe at all, and really couldn't put my finger on it. I expected it to be more upscale and relaxed, I think, but it was uber crowded, smoky, and busy. This is actually the first bar I've been in Midtown so far that I haven't enjoyed.