Port Houston Autotel At 1515 McCarty Dr.

Subdude

Any idea where that was/is? There are some real relics still festering over near the channel but I don't believe I've seen that one.

It was at 1515 McCarty Drive. It's just a vacant lot now. A photo in the 1972 AIA guide shows it that was enlarged compared to this picture. Looking at this place you just know that it was nasty, although I don't think anything could top that Four Palms place on Telephone that Heights2Bastrop described. :blink:

• 1 month later...
although I don't think anything could top that Four Palms place on Telephone that Heights2Bastrop described
Although I knew about the Four Palms, I never went there. However, I did go to Vagabond many a time. It was a popular club in the middle of a motel on I-45 north of Crosstimbers. If you didn't get lucky at the Vagabond, it was because you didn't want to.

The women I encountered there were, shall we say, "very friendly". But I never met one who I thought was a professional. However, I am pretty sure there were businesswomen there at the club.

• 9 months later...
Has anyone heard about this place? In the book “In a Narrow Grave” , Larry McMurty called this “the most extraordinary example of Mexican saloon-and-whorehouse architecture north of the border.” It was built in 1937 primarily for workers and sailors from the ship channel.

The back of this card helpfully notes that two could stay for the price of one, and even offers up a “Slogan Prayer”: “Oh Lord, please help me to keep my nose out of other people’s business.”

autotel.jpg

The car on that postcard looks like a 1930s/1940s model. The car says that the rooms are air conditioned. I didn't know that air conditioning existed back then.

The car on that postcard looks like a 1930s/1940s model. The car says that the rooms are air conditioned. I didn't know that air conditioning existed back then.

Yep...it actually existed before then. In fact, the first air conditioned building west of the Mississippi is a church in Orange Texas...back in 1912.

Yep...it actually existed before then. In fact, the first air conditioned building west of the Mississippi is a church in Orange Texas...back in 1912.

You taught me something new. My parents live in Orange. I live just down the road in Bridge City. It might have been First Baptist Church on West Green Avenue.

You taught me something new. My parents live in Orange. I live just down the road in Bridge City. It might have been First Baptist Church on West Green Avenue.

One of the most impressive churches i have been in is the First Presbyterian Church in Orange.

Yes, I've seen it from the street. It is impressive.

from wikipedia:

The First Presbyterian Church on Green Avenue uniquely captures the classic Greek Revival architecture. Completed in 1912, it was the first air-conditioned public building west of the Mississippi River and its dome is the only opalescent glass dome in the United States.

OrangeTexasChurch503.jpg

the only pic i could find of the leaded glass under the dome.

032_lamb_78-rg.jpg

My great uncle was involved with the Starks for several decades...that's how I know that bit of obscure air-conditioining-iana.

from wikipedia:

The First Presbyterian Church on Green Avenue uniquely captures the classic Greek Revival architecture. Completed in 1912, it was the first air-conditioned public building west of the Mississippi River and its dome is the only opalescent glass dome in the United States.

OrangeTexasChurch503.jpg

the only pic i could find of the leaded glass under the dome.

032_lamb_78-rg.jpg

The fact that the old church stood up to Rita shows how well buildings were designed and constructed many years ago.

This must be the first topic we've had that has covered both whorehouses and churches! :blink::lol:

Well, I personally have always worshipped at the Altar of Venus at the former, but it's been many years since I've worshipped at the latter.

Both kinds of places are at Jimmy Swaggart's "church."

• 13 years later...
  • The title was changed to Port Houston Autotel At 1515 McCarty Dr.

Archived