Austin City Hall

WestGrayGuy

Okay, I am by no means an architectural critic. But, I do know an ugly building when I see one. Has anyone else seen the new Austin city hall in person?

Here is the architectural rendering:

model_southeast_large.jpg

Am I crazy for thinking it is ugly? I like Houston's city halll the best of the large cities in the state.

Thoughts, opinions?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems it would be a lot more attractive if they rethought the color scheme. Is that supposed to be a waterfall running down the front? The design might be OK for any number of purposes (like a college lecture hall), but it really doesn't seem to have the monumentality that would be expected in a city hall. See dbigtex's comments about the Harris County Courthouse for the way municipal buildings used to be signs of civic pride. Here's a good example.

I think its a very interesting and a very "Austin" looking building. I like the incorporating of the trees into the design as well as the wood facing.

My first thought upon seeing it was that it was some sort of campus type development like for a major office or school.

At least is not as awful as the one we have in Dallas. It scale made it look so out of place and it does not mesh well with the rest of downtown.

I think its a very interesting and a very "Austin" looking building.

Therein lies the problem. In fact, I'm not even sure that it's very Austin at all. It lloks like something that gets built and within a few years, everyone wishes they had built something more architectually conservative.

At least is not as awful as the one we have in Dallas.  It scale made it look so out of place and it does not mesh well with the rest of downtown.

You learn to like it. I've always thought that it would look better as a taller building. Like with the matte work done in "Robocop" to make it the OCP tower.

It looks like something Frank Loyd Wright would do. What's the name of that house he built right over a waterfall? Falling Water? Or something like that? It doesnt have the protruding elements of that house, but I guess its just the way it sprouts out horizontally in all directions, and has these really, thick, concrete looking "bases", and the dark orange wood looking "thingies". Hey, I better shut up, I keep forgetting I am among a bunch of REAL architects around here! hehehehe.

I'll stop talking outa my ass now.

It looks like something Frank Loyd Wright would do.  What's the name of that house he built right over a waterfall? Falling Water?  Or something like that?  It doesnt have the protruding elements of that house, but I guess its just the way it sprouts out horizontally in all directions, and has these really, thick, concrete looking "bases", and the dark orange wood looking "thingies".  Hey, I better shut up, I keep forgetting I am among a bunch of REAL architects around here!  hehehehe.

I'll stop talking outa my ass now.

Yeah, I agree, and I'm far from being a professional in anything.

Frank Lloyd Wright actually had talent and skill.

I agree with the comment that it is "Austin-looking." If you drive along the river there, they have a lot of buildings that are similar to this, including their convention center, and in my opinion, it all looks very good. Austin has found its architectural style. The more buildings they build in it, the better each one of them will look.

I saw this building this past weekend and think it's very "Austin" as posted previously. I think the copper around the building will be very unique once it starts to turn green. I think it looks very intriguing from street level...

I'm glad someone finally said it.

No, seriously, this is so, STUPID! Why waste a perfectly good opertunity to set an example of beautiful architecture (a city hall) and waste it with fake wood paneling... but WTF^^ mates... Our state ca[ital's city hall should be a good example, but going with this. God, in 20 years, we'll still be saying the same thing. WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING?!

Hi, I'm new. Actually, I've been observing for about three years now. I come here to find out what is happening in Houston. In doing that, I end up reading the entire thread that I have choosen. Mostly, I laugh...but other times...well. I now have say something. I'm know y'all will get used to me very quickly.

Wood paneling? Where do you see that?

Micheal Moore? Politics has nothing to do with this building's design, a city hall or not.

I've watch this building go from a 40' deep hole in the earth to being almost finished today. It is a beautiful building. It was designed by a New Mexico architect, yet it is very "Austin". It's also has heavy hill country-style influence. My only problem with it is that it is not bigger. It fits perfectly with its surrounding building, because it bring elements (limestone and height) that those buildings have. Then it contrasts with the copper and anti-box shape to set itself apart. "I belong here, but I'm different." The view of it as you drive north over the 1st Street bridge is wonderful. You haven't even seen the back of the building. There is a balcony that extends over 2nd Street. The building is sculpture. It's not a box. There is a sunken plaza in front with a stage. The stairs up the front of the building doulbe as a small ampitheater. Very appropirate for Austin. This is what I believe someone mistook for a waterfall in an earlier post. The only wood will be slates above the seating to ward off the sun. Don't judge the building by a model. You should come see the actual building before you deem it "stupid" or "70's-ish".

It's is 70ish. What's wrong with that descritptoin? Austin, or at least the pre.com Austin, was very 70ish, even in the 80s and 90s.

A lot of the elements you describe remind of the University Center at UH. VERY similar.

I think Houston has the best city hall of all the major cities in Texas:

City-Hall.jpg

P1010071.jpg

Archived