Exxon Moving Headquarters To Houston?

cloud713

10 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Wow, what does it say when the Chronicle doesn’t even write an article on this and instead outsources to Bloomberg?

https://www.chron.com/business/article/Exxon-Houston-headquarter-merger-oil-industry-16819683.php

I think it just says that they were still working on theirs.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Irving-based-Exxon-to-move-headquarters-to-Houston-16819300.php

13 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I don't consider BP a Houston company - based in London, no? I'm with you on Chevron, and what I really care for that's inside them are Texaco and Gulf.

Yeah, I recognize that, but Houston is the American headquarters and contains at least the bulk of what was formerly Standard Oil of Indiana and Standard Oil of Ohio, so I thought it was worth including.

28 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Yeah, well, if an announcement like that is made, one would expect the local newspaper of record to at least put a blurb out there saying "Exxon announced HQ move, more to come" (HBJ had absolutely no problem in this regard) but they can't even seem to do that.  Took at least an hour just to put a banner up linking to someone else's story.  But their homepage has plenty of links from months ago, so color me not surprised.  Compare with the Dallas Morning News or any other major city newspaper not owned by Hearst (hell, the Star-Telegram is light years ahead).

So, I respectfully disagree.  I think it says they are a second-rate news organization.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

Yeah, well, if an announcement like that is made, one would expect the local newspaper of record to at least put a blurb out there saying "Exxon announced HQ move, more to come" (HBJ had absolutely no problem in this regard) but they can't even seem to do that.  Took at least an hour just to put a banner up linking to someone else's story.  But their homepage has plenty of links from months ago, so color me not surprised.  Compare with the Dallas Morning News or any other major city newspaper not owned by Hearst (hell, the Star-Telegram is light years ahead).

So, I respectfully disagree.  I think it says they are a second-rate news organization.

That's fine. I don't think anyone considers them a great paper. It was nice to see that they finally won a Pulitzer a few years back.

Every major metro paper is much worse than it was 20-30 years ago, except for the 2 or 3 national papers. I would gladly trade today's Chronicle for the mid-90's Chronicle, which wasn't a great paper either, but it had vastly more information than today, and the classifieds were interesting. It's like discussing in 1970 which passenger railroad company is best.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1

Just now, H-Town Man said:

That's fine. I don't think anyone considers them a great paper. It was nice to see that they finally won a Pulitzer a few years back.

Every major metro paper is much worse than it was 20-30 years ago. I would gladly trade today's Chronicle for the mid-90's Chronicle, which wasn't a great paper either, but it had vastly more information than today, and the classifieds were interesting. It's like arguing in 1970 about which passenger railroad company is best.

Yes, every major paper is much worse than it was 20-30 years ago.  The problem is, every other major paper started at a much higher level than the Chronicle ever achieved, so while they've all gotten worse, the Chronicle distinguishes itself by its own level of horribleness.  One Pulitzer prize in more than 120 years and it's for commentary!  Not a single Pulitzer for news.  Pathetic.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lockmat said:

The Chronicle is a complete joke now. They don’t report real news anymore. They don’t even have “News” on their main page.

The other day when SCOTUS ruled against Biden’s vax mandate, they didn’t have a single article about it, not even from the AP.

That link is from chron.com, the Chronicle's joke site that never has real news. The main pay site is far better. Not great, though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

It's like discussing in 1970 which passenger railroad company is best.

No, when newspapers with lower circulation 250 miles up the road are producing quality journalism today, it's like comparing HEB with a U-TOTEM.

38 minutes ago, Ross said:

That link is from chron.com, the Chronicle's joke site that never has real news. The main pay site is far better. Not great, though

And here is where I completely embarrass myself by saying I had no idea there were 2 sites and I'm a paying subscriber.  Why when I'm logged in do I not get redirected there?  It's not like there's a dallasnews.com and a dallasmorningnews.com (DaMN.com?) site, or a nytimes.com and a newyorktimes.com.  I use chron.com for vacation hold, etc.  Another fine Hearst innovation, I see.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I understand, that with Exxon Mobile move,  the Houston area will have the headquarters of 25 Fortune 500 companies. This will solidify further Houston's number two position in this ranking, NYC being number one.

The Chicago MSA has over 30.

I think back in the day people touted Houston as number 2 behind NYC due to HQs within city limits but obviously that doesn’t make much sense (and HPE and Exxon wouldn’t count).

9 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

The Chicago MSA has over 30.

I think back in the day people touted Houston as number 2 behind NYC due to HQs within city limits but obviously that doesn’t make much sense (and HPE and Exxon wouldn’t count).

Let's keep things in perspective here...all that really matters is that we have more than Dallas.  😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

No, when newspapers with lower circulation 250 miles up the road are producing quality journalism today, it's like comparing HEB with a U-TOTEM.

Well somewhat germane to this sidetrack, the Kinder Institute announced yesterday a $20 million grant to fund a nonprofit news organization in Houston.

Houston deserves a news ecosystem as big and bold as it is | The Kinder Institute for Urban Research (rice.edu)

• Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 8:43 AM, mattyt36 said:

Well somewhat germane to this sidetrack, the Kinder Institute announced yesterday a $20 million grant to fund a nonprofit news organization in Houston.

Houston deserves a news ecosystem as big and bold as it is | The Kinder Institute for Urban Research (rice.edu)

It'd be nice if they actually stick to this long-term (from the article)...

To that end, the organization will provide all journalistic content for free to all Houstonians and all media outlets. The journalism will be fiercely independent and nonpartisan without editorial control or influence by its funding sources.

We're living in new era of yellow journalism.  Too many "journalists", on all sides, have decided it's ok to put their opinions into news articles either directly or by selectively emphasizing certain things and/or by leaving facts out.  For some of the more subtle items, you can only realize the bias by reading through other reports of the event from divergent sources (while filtering out their biases as well).

• Like 3